Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Seeing the word "inherent" and "right" being used 14 different ways in the same paragraph is making me insane. Either we come to a consensus on what these words mean or close the thread. The idea of personhood and inherent value of life are massively complicated things that cannot be answered adequately with a single post.

For example, inherent can mean "derived from some formal entity in the unknowable aether" and it can also mean "a property derived from the logical conclusion of a premise". Is a right inherent because God said it was or is a right inherent because we are social animals that have benefitted from altruism and evolved to have a vested interest in the survival of the species as a whole (in general).

Rexicon1 fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Feb 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Pohl posted:

He is a sociopath and while the rest of us could hash out what a "right" really is, and what it means to a society and an individual; I doubt he could ever really understand what we were talking about. If you have to derail a thread about gentrification and then start a thread asking if people really deserve to live, you are probably a loving sociopath.

Oh I guess there is some context to this.

• Locked thread