Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TwoQuestions posted:

This question probably requires better phrasing, perhaps something like "Why should people care if other people get hurt?"

Imagine for a second that somebody just bought a self-driving car, and they're cruising on the highway keeping an eye on the road but generally letting the autodriver do its thing. Suddenly, a construction worker trips over a rock and stumbles in the car's way, getting hit.

Other than the damage to the car, is the driver obligated to take the positive action of swerving out of the way to dodge the construction worker? Is the driver right in saying "Sucks to be you! I'm not obligated to take action to save your life, if you want to live stay out of the road!" or something like that?

Also, since any right to life is a social construction, what if society decides you're some sort of nonperson, as in the case of genocide victims or certain types of criminals? What are they ethically permitted to do about their situation?

Thanks again for taking the question seriously, especially given it's lovely origins and phrasing.

That seems like a relatively simple question given that avoiding the construction worker is better for both parties...

Unless you are trying to run him over for fun, why wouldn't you avoid him?

Killing people for no reason is rather wasteful given that it takes a good amount of time and resources to produce a functioning adult person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TwoQuestions posted:

Changing gears, how do you go about convincing someone without compassion of a compassionate solution to a problem? If crime in a nearby city you never visit can be reduced substantially by a $10 million investment in infastructure/law enforcement training/whatever, and this investment is proven to work, how do you convince someone who just says "gently caress those city people! If they can't solve their problems without State help they deserve to die!"?

You don't because the issue in that instance is not an absence of compassion, but rather a presence of malice. An opposition to a demonstrably effective solution on the grounds of antipathy towards others is not a lack of compassion, it's someone who takes pleasure in the the suffering of others.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Effectronica posted:

Open-ended obligations, so long as they are concomitant with the realization that they are impossible to actually fulfill but every little bit helps, are superior to closed obligations, which invite inhumane behavior once they are fulfilled.

I would agree with this. It is far more helpful, I find, to have an ideal which you are supposed to try and aim for at all times, and remain aware that you will always fail, than to set a lower target and think 'good enough' once you get to it. You get less personal sense of satisfaction but better results.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TwoQuestions posted:

One thing I realized just today, that most everyone's arguments about a social "right to life" stem from wanting other people to help you if you were in trouble. What if you don't want anyone to help you? If you would rather bleed out from a cut rather than obligate someone else to help you not die (like so many Republicans), where does a right to life come from then?

If someone else feels like being an rear end in a top hat and shoots you and you have no ability to fire back in any way, suck to be you! Nobody's obligated to keep you alive if you can't keep yourself alive.

You ask a lot of weird questions. Are you thinking of killing someone?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TwoQuestions posted:

No, it's just people seem to think we don't live in a dog-eat-dog jungle when in fact we do. If the government/social contract decides you don't deserve to live, then you will die. How many genocides are going on right this instant and nobody gives a poo poo?

Does it help to view things like that?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Still not really seeing your point.

Does it greatly matter whether what you're saying is true?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 8, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TwoQuestions posted:

I argue nobody ever had it in the first place. The reason you (hopefully) weren't murdered today is only because either everyone you met had compassion and didn't feel like killing you, or were afraid of society punishing them. I'd like to do away with illusions to the contrary. Might alone makes right.

I'd rather we stop assuming that everyone values human life, and make arguments and plans without that assumption in place. If you personally value life, argue and act like nobody else does.

I continue to not see the difference that it makes. What others believe does not change how I should behave towards them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TwoQuestions posted:

Except the world is a bleak, constant struggle for survival, at least for most people. How does ignoring that make anything any better?

Because how the world is has no bearing on your behaviour, you behave as you wish the world to be, not as it is. That the world leaves much to be desired does not give you leave to be likewise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The difference is that you presumably believe that injuring another party means you forfeit your personhood.

Which presumably means that it is justifiable for someone to kill you in self defence if you break into their house to steal from them, even if you have a good reason.

You need to qualify your beliefs a little for them to be consistent.

• Locked thread