Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

TwoQuestions posted:

This question probably requires better phrasing, perhaps something like "Why should people care if other people get hurt?"

Imagine for a second that somebody just bought a self-driving car, and they're cruising on the highway keeping an eye on the road but generally letting the autodriver do its thing. Suddenly, a construction worker trips over a rock and stumbles in the car's way, getting hit.

Other than the damage to the car, is the driver obligated to take the positive action of swerving out of the way to dodge the construction worker? Is the driver right in saying "Sucks to be you! I'm not obligated to take action to save your life, if you want to live stay out of the road!" or something like that?

Also, since any right to life is a social construction, what if society decides you're some sort of nonperson, as in the case of genocide victims or certain types of criminals? What are they ethically permitted to do about their situation?

Thanks again for taking the question seriously, especially given it's lovely origins and phrasing.
The answers to those questions are entirely dependent on what ethical framework you assume.

For example, if you decide that the ultimate goal of your ethics is to secure the existence of your people and a future for white children then genocide of non-whites may be acceptable. The fact that your entire system of ethics is morally repugnant and demonstrably stupid is beside the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Didn't say it was a good alternative! Though on the whole modern France is probably better off than it otherwise would have been? Maybe?
It really took the Second World War to convince Western European nations to chill the gently caress out and stop trying to constantly murder each other over who was best at murdering Africans.

• Locked thread