Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Dead Reckoning posted:

Actions taken in response to an imminent threat from an aggressor take on a different character due to both urgency and the aggressor's agency.

EDIT: I guess if you're in some sort of weird edge case where if you don't get those blueberries in the next ninety seconds there is a better than even chance you will die, I might reconsider my stance about stealing.
Securing yourself is a pretty universally justified case for violence. But you mentioned securing your property using force, which is a different animal. Sure, if someone invades your home to steal your property, the line between defending your life and your property is muddied. But if a thief is unambiguously after your blueberries (say he broke into your corner market after hours, and not your home), using violence to protect property is a very different moral proposition. The right to life (even for a criminal) trumps property rights in virtually any moral framework.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

VitalSigns posted:

If a negative right to life means I have an obligation not to take positive actions that I can reasonably foresee will lead to another's death, then it's pretty obvious I can't take the positive actions required to chase a man and his starving family from my fields and prevent them from getting food.

In fact, it seems like I can't even take the positive action to fence off the land in the first place and bar anyone else from making a living on it.
You're right, in that framework, that recognized "right to life" has troubling implications on private ownership, and privacy of any kind, really.

It would be really nice if there was some organized way to save food for starving people so they didn't have to burglarize farms. Then the farms could have fences and a little more privacy, and each farm could contribute a little bit to the "food library" so no one farm was impacted too much.

Actually, if only farms are contributing to the food library, that's not very fair... non-farmers should contribute a little bit of whatever they make, too. Whoever is organizing the system could hopefully create some measuring system between different things, and then everybody could send in an equitable contribution, and that's really fair.

I don't feel like continuing the stupid taxation/currency analogy. The solution to providing starving people with food (i.e. life) and still allowing private property is taxation. There could be a literal food bank where poor people pick up loaves of bread, but if we're going to the trouble of collecting taxes from everyone to pay for food, we might as well cut out the middle-man and just give the tax money to starving people so they can buy the food themselves. We could even add a few safeguards so the money can only be used for food and not iPods. This is literally food stamps. Without a government large enough to collect taxes, and distribute them to programs like food stamps, you can't solve collective action problems like this. That's why we have governments in the first place.

• Locked thread