Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

All comedy is derived from fear.
You know I don't mind the YouTube celebrities, but I'm annoyed that these legs seem to be really short. Like, ridiculously short. Only 2 tasks, both of which seem fairly straightforward? Boring race design is far more offensive to me than a bad cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
Agreed. And a strange speed bump too in that it took up time, but involved only watching the locals do something while pretending to help.

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

Undeclared Eggplant posted:

Agreed. And a strange speed bump too in that it took up time, but involved only watching the locals do something while pretending to help.

And screaming bloody murder while trying to grab a fish flopping around. Was rather sad they weren't eliminated. Still, content with the first team out.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I haven't really been annoyed by any personalities, but a few of these teams are real bad at the game. Dudes stood around not knowing how to buy plane tickets, then the others leave a taxi behind. Thankfully that problem should take care of itself.

MrDingleDangle
Apr 15, 2005

The win of a lifetime, twice.
Yeah the team that couldn't buy plane tickets seem like they are barely trying, hope they start playing. Cole still seems annoying but was barely shown this episode

Septimius
Aug 23, 2006

The constant screaming and shouting is really getting on my nerves. It's a season full of Justins minus the competence.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
Thoughts on the first episode: There's a few more annoying teams than usual, but it's not as bad as I expected. There's a few teams I enjoy and will be rooting for. The challenges didn't seem particularly hard, though, but that could just be a set of first leg easy challenges. I am glad they seemingly got rid of the express pass. Or at least it's not being rewarded to the winners of the first leg anymore. I don't particularly like the twitter handles under the teams, hopefully that'll go away. Otherwise, it'll be at least as difficult to distinguish teams as the dating/blind date season. I'm really hoping multiple teams gently caress up because they decide to take a selfie.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The second episode was a lot more tolerable to me for whatever reason. Colombia looks amazing.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The teams were less annoying this ep, but man are a lot of them dumb as poo poo.

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

I liked how someone lost their chance to get on an earlier flight because of lovely internet on a season featuring lovely internet stars.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Rick posted:

The second episode was a lot more tolerable to me for whatever reason. Colombia looks amazing.

I honestly don't think the teams are much worse than a typical season but yeah, the locations this season look to be fantastic so that should definitely compensate for any annoying people

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

IRQ posted:

The teams were less annoying this ep, but man are a lot of them dumb as poo poo.

This sums up my thoughts on the second episode. Some really dumb moves by a few teams. Most of them will probably be gone in a few legs.

At the moment, I'm mostly rooting for the gay team, and the team who won this leg. After looking it up, it turns out they're the same team.

Wikipedia also mentions that the winners of the first leg got $2,000 each, but it wasn't aired. That solves that mystery.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

Granted I haven't watched in a couple of seasons, but isn't nearly every cast made up mostly of teams that are dumb as poo poo? How is this any different? Was there something particularly egregious? I've seen "leaving behind a taxi" tons of times and I've also seen "#readtheclue" dozens of times as well.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

xcore posted:

Granted I haven't watched in a couple of seasons, but isn't nearly every cast made up mostly of teams that are dumb as poo poo? How is this any different? Was there something particularly egregious? I've seen "leaving behind a taxi" tons of times and I've also seen "#readtheclue" dozens of times as well.

There's this "i'm here to enhance my personal brand" film coating everything about this season that irks me. The second episode was admittedly much better, but I'd say the biggest thing is to be an "internet star" you have to have a certain kind of personality and when everyone has that, it makes the cast seem less diverse.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Boring leg

Blair and her dad should have had to serve a penalty for promising kisses for pesos and not delivering.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Agreed. Such a boring episode.

I want to see these youtube people suffer.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I got like half a panic attack watching those teams run around looking for the bags and the vendors.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
The women on the bus... their voices came closest to making me quit this show.

Schlonged Again
Jan 30, 2016

Was I horribly confused, or did a couple of the teams do both halves of the detour without any explanation?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Schlonged Again posted:

Was I horribly confused, or did a couple of the teams do both halves of the detour without any explanation?

We were confused by this too, the editing must have been weird. Apparently the gunpowder throwing and bus thing was the detour, and everyone had to do the bags. We thought the choice was bus/bags.

Schlonged Again
Jan 30, 2016

Eltoasto posted:

We were confused by this too, the editing must have been weird. Apparently the gunpowder throwing and bus thing was the detour, and everyone had to do the bags. We thought the choice was bus/bags.

Yeah, same. I just remembered that only one team member did the bags, so that must have been the roadblock.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
Boring leg. Boring teams. I wonder if the finale will involve skydiving from a helicopter.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
I thought that was a good episode though? In the beginning of a season it's nice to see people race to be the first to throw their game the hardest. Choosing clearly the wrong detour and then doing it twice should have been enough to torpedo your race, and then you see that other guy completing the roadblock and then continuing to wander around for however long. Good stuff! Eventually you want the skilled teams to advance based on skill, but at this point seeing people fail hard is just as fun.

MrDingleDangle
Apr 15, 2005

I thought that was one of the most boring episodes I've ever seen. If it wasn't for miscounting the money out wouldn't have even been close.

Also the top 4 teams seem pretty obvious, hopefully the tasks get harder soon

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
What a dumb ending. Should have had the pitstop after the last challenge, not after train bunching.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Blair looks like a completely different person with a hat on.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Bunching like that with the trains before the pit stop is dumb. The budding romance story is pretty funny with her dad right there. AR is so desperate for something like that, they are probably going to find a way to give Blair's dad a "go away for 4 hours" task.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

No one seems more invested in that relationship than Tyler and Korey.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
Train bunching! Right at the end!

The team that got last probably would have been in the bunch as well, if they had run, instead of slowly walked to the connecting train.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

In my opinion, penalties should have been handed out for teams who used Burnie's answer for the bench.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Victorkm posted:

In my opinion, penalties should have been handed out for teams who used Burnie's answer for the bench.

Teams working together has never been penalized before; only if the sitting-out team member helps on a roadblock.

MrDingleDangle
Apr 15, 2005

thedaian posted:

Train bunching! Right at the end!

The team that got last probably would have been in the bunch as well, if they had run, instead of slowly walked to the connecting train.

yeah, they deserved to be eliminated just for that. The last two episodes were very underwhelming, how did it take some teams so long to figure out the map of 4 rows of flags was the same order as the 4 rows of flags? I mean it was a permanent structure, i was confused why they were just guessing at the start

This season hopefully will get better when its down to less teams

Tyler/Korey
Burnie/Ashley
Dana/Matt
Kurt/Brodie

seem to be the only ones trying really hard. I thought Zach and Rachel would do better

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
Fairly straight forward leg this time around, especially since almost everyone took the "quick to do, but need to overcome fear" detour. This episode at least had really pretty views, though rather rear end clenching if you had a fear of heights.

Next episode is April 1st. See everyone in 3 weeks (assuming anyone comes back)

MrDingleDangle
Apr 15, 2005

Yeah the views were great, but this season hasn't had a hard challenge yet, pretty annoying. 2 weeks off I assume because of March madness sucks

MrDingleDangle fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 15, 2016

kitten
Feb 6, 2003
Well, amazing race was renewed. As much as I used to love the show, I kind of thought CBS was trying to phase it out.

Schlonged Again
Jan 30, 2016

Teams next season will be famous Instagram cats.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Schlonged Again posted:

I better get started then, Tara is only semi goon famous.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Schlonged Again posted:

I would watch that.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I confused the Express Pass with the Fast Forward. I miss the Fast Forward. Wasn't there a season when a team got the Fast Forward and still didn't get first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Dr Tran posted:

I confused the Express Pass with the Fast Forward. I miss the Fast Forward. Wasn't there a season when a team got the Fast Forward and still didn't get first place?

I remember when Mark and Bopper got the FF and came in last.

• Locked thread