Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm only watching for Burnie. I hope he's not out too early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Kinda weird they didn't start from the same location. Must have had them bunched at the airport.

Also this pic:
https://twitter.com/PhilKeoghan/status/698368571894661123

edit:

So happy the first leg is non-elimination. They need to do this more often

Dr Tran fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 13, 2016

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

jivjov posted:

I'm only watching for Burnie. I hope he's not out too early.

Pretty much this, yeah. Almost everyone else was kind of annoying.

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

What a weird and uncomfortable start to the season. Coupled with awkward editing ("Your content helped me when I was down" "HAHA!") and really awkward team scenes (the mom crying because she thought they were eliminated while the annoying son just laughed uncomfortably was cringe-worthy) I have very low expectations for this season. I liked Burnie & Ashley and Zach & Rachel, everyone else felt so one note. Though maybe I'm biased because I like their content.

I think that's a major downside to this season - you only want to root for the teams you know anything about, and everyone else feels annoying or gimmicky. I hope they don't do anything like this again. I wonder what the ratings will be for the premiere.

Also the fact that they only put their twitter handles below their names and not relationship status or what they're known for irks me. Maybe they did put relationships and I missed it - but I sure can't tell annoying white kid apart from annoying white kid so far.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

aidoru posted:

Also the fact that they only put their twitter handles below their names and not relationship status or what they're known for irks me. Maybe they did put relationships and I missed it - but I sure can't tell annoying white kid apart from annoying white kid so far.

I'm like this at the start of every season of every CBS reality show. "Who the gently caress are all these people!?!" I don't even think it's a problem with this season at all; give it a couple eliminations and the standouts will start to distinguish themselves.

bigE
Nov 26, 2004

Oh, ye of little faith.
Wow, no prize for coming in 1st on the leg, not even an express pass? I can't remember that ever happening.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Couldn't make it past the 10min mark. These people are all so annoying. Maybe next season, if there is another one.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
how do they get internet people and not grab the mofuckin LA Beast, what a swing and miss

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Whyyyyyy did they pick all these Internet douchebags. Aren't they famous bbecause of people who never watch TV?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

That Cody dude is super annoying, but I don't think he is long for the race. Bernie is cool and some teams are fine, I don't think i'll have a problem finding a few teams to root for and that's the most important part for me. Be strong my friends, we survived 2 seasons of deaf Luke, we can make it through this.

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

Oh my god, I forgot about deaf Luke. He was the one who decided someone who beat him to the clue box laughing awkwardly hated him for being deaf, right?

e; Found the clips online. Yikes.

aidoru fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 13, 2016

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

aidoru posted:

Oh my god, I forgot about deaf Luke. He was the one who decided someone who beat him to the clue box laughing awkwardly hated him for being deaf, right?

e; Found the clips online. Yikes.

That poor Asian couple that just had to stand there awkwardly through that whole fight. :/

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Yea I don't know if I can watch a whole season of this...

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

An entire season of assholes like Joey and Meghan spending all their time acting to the camera because they think it'll up their subscriber numbers?

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
All of these teams are insufferable. I hope they subject them to painful/gross tasks

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Agreed. This would be the best season if all the roadblocks were fraternity level hazing rituals. Plus if eliminated teams didn't cry they should burn them until they do.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

ARE YOU FAKE PLAYING ARE YOU FAKE PLAYING ARE YOU FAKE PLAYING

Why yes you've figured out the tasks on this show, just shout loudly at whatever asking for the solution because that's how that works. But you're super fans. Right. Like subscribe comment hashtag amazingracefunnies

I'm not sure I can take a season full of these idiots.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Maybe I'm crazy but these contestants don't seem any more annoying than any random season of TAR. Last season was full of teams that were both annoying and especially lovely to foreigners.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I wouldn't be surprised if the excessive wackiness greatly decreases after the first couple legs. 1) editing will most like spend more time on drama than lolmonleycheese vine hits, 2) the teams that spend too much time goofing off and not enough time focusing on the race will get eliminated.

flynt
Dec 30, 2006
Triggerhappy and gunshy

jivjov posted:

2) the teams that spend too much time goofing off and not enough time focusing on the race will get eliminated.

I'm hoping for a repeat of something like the team that missed the train because they were taking a selfie.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
This was rough. I'm not normally an anti-youtube type, in fact I respect the medium quite a bit, but they found some aggressively bad people. I'll put up with it a while longer because it's not the first or second time I've disliked most of the teams out of the gate but usually I come around.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I unabashedly love tyler and korey

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i don't know why people seem to think people in this season are more insufferable in general than the others. THe yelling of "ARE YOU FAKE PLAYING " was p dumb but yeah, nowhere was it as bad as loving deaf luke or the green team

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

qbert posted:

Maybe I'm crazy but these contestants don't seem any more annoying than any random season of TAR. Last season was full of teams that were both annoying and especially lovely to foreigners.

Wow - I had the opposite reaction. I thought the green team was really great with people throughout the race. Diana handing out temporary tattoos in India is a Big Deal since normally unmarried women and men would not touch.

This season just has a giant mess of utterly generic white people. What a bad idea for a season. Everyone is a camera hog wannabe actor, over-emoting and mugging for the camera. Like, there's nobody normal.

Although it'll be really funny if some of them miss trains like the selfie team from a couple of seasons ago.

MrDingleDangle
Apr 15, 2005

The win of a lifetime, twice.
I dont think its too much different than normal. I see why they did it though, i went by the Reddit thread and it was like 80% first time viewers, so they are getting a new demographic.

I put the teams into these categories as first impressions (I have only seen Zach's vines and some of Burnies videos before, but randomly, didnt really know they were social media stars).

Fun to watch
Zach and Rachel
Dana and Matt
Burnie and Ashley

Could go either way
Kurt and Brodie (one of them was really loud, if that continues I will dislike them)
Tyler and Korey (as long as they dont play to the camera too much could be really good)

forgettable
Darius and Cameron (could be good, still somewhat undecided)
Erin and Joslyn
Jessica and Brittany

Please be the first to go
Marty and Hagan (nothing against them but know they wont win)
Scott and Blair (again not going to win)
Sheri and Cole (PLEASE GET ELIMINATED!!!!!)

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

oh yeah, what's with Cole crying in the beginning? it's like he's completely homeschooled and has never left his house before.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Thursday Next posted:

Wow - I had the opposite reaction. I thought the green team was really great with people throughout the race. Diana handing out temporary tattoos in India is a Big Deal since normally unmarried women and men would not touch.

Was the green team the one that was loudly insulting the cabbie while he was driving them but then justified it as okay because "He doesn't understand English so it's not rude!"?

MrDingleDangle
Apr 15, 2005

The win of a lifetime, twice.

qbert posted:

Was the green team the one that was loudly insulting the cabbie while he was driving them but then justified it as okay because "He doesn't understand English so it's not rude!"?

yes, he was a mixed bags, at times his annoyingness was understandable for failing at the amazing race which was his dream, he literally did a pretend amazing race with his g/f through multiple countries, so he is a little odd.

on the other hand he was just mean a lot too

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

oh yeah, what's with Cole crying in the beginning? it's like he's completely homeschooled and has never left his house before.

Isn't that his schtick? It was really awkward for them to cut back and forth between all the couples excitedly grabbing their bags to a couple teams outright sobbing.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I can't watch this season.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
With the non-elimination combined with no prize for first place makes me think there was some major production fuckup and this was some major audible calling.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Golbez posted:

With the non-elimination combined with no prize for first place makes me think there was some major production fuckup and this was some major audible calling.

I'm assuming they think these people are actually famous and they want to hook their "fans" before they eliminate anyone.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Everyone started from a different place too. Even if there was bunching later on, it was a little unfair.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

I'm assuming they think these people are actually famous and they want to hook their "fans" before they eliminate anyone.

This season is going to bomb so hard.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

cheesetriangles posted:

This season is going to bomb so hard.

Are they *trying* to get this show canceled?

Been watching some old seasons on Amazon Prime. Besides Phil looking so much younger, the longer shooting schedule really stands out. Much more airport drama and they just flat out go more places. Some of the fat I get being trimmed (some of the travel times between actual race tasks had to have been a couple days) but other times it feels like they've cheaped out with "oh stay in this country and just ride buses or trains for 3 episodes".

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Golbez posted:

every. single. season

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

sportsgenius86 posted:

Some of these people are actually famous. Did you not catch the scene of some of them getting stopped for photos at the airport?

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

jivjov posted:

Some of these people are actually famous. Did you not catch the scene of some of them getting stopped for photos at the airport?

Famous in an incredibly select group of people. The only reason my mom knew any of these people was because she saw the magic vine guy on an episode of the Today show.

Maybe it's a good idea for getting a few extra million (being generous here, more like a thousand or hundred) people watching, but for long time fans who don't pay attention to YouTube famous people, it honestly sucks.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

aidoru posted:

Famous in an incredibly select group of people. The only reason my mom knew any of these people was because she saw the magic vine guy on an episode of the Today show.

Maybe it's a good idea for getting a few extra million (being generous here, more like a thousand or hundred) people watching, but for long time fans who don't pay attention to YouTube famous people, it honestly sucks.

Is that any different than any other season? Do you regularly know all the teams from a given season?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

That's why this sort of sucks. The show was constantly hamming up "You know him from (thing)!" and... well, no, I don't. I know it was just a first episode get-to-know sort of thing, but I hope from here-on out they at least put what they're known for below their names rather than just their handles. It helps differentiate, just like how in every other season you tend to remember teams by calling them "the scientists" or "the gay dudes" or "the cheerleaders." As-is, it expects you to remember names/internet monickers, and that's really hard when you've got twenty people you've never seen before.

• Locked thread