Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
This week's episode was a lesson in reading the whole clue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
One of these days I want to really dig into the concept of morality on a reality/game show like this. Big Brother and Survivor get it especially bad, with people getting bent out of shape that their opponents in this game for a huge sum of cash use the mechanics of the game (alliances, backstabs, Vetos, Immunity Idols, U-Turns, etc etc etc) to win.

I mean, seriously, who is honestly expecting to show up to a game and not play to win?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The Gunslinger posted:

Why didn't green team get uturned when the cheerleaders chose them? Or is that the next leg?

I had to laugh at team texas not understanding that rowing together is a thing.

That was the U-Turn before the pit-stop. The cheerleaders were the last team to arrive and their U-Turn was pointless.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

GuavaMoment posted:

Is this the first season where a team was penalized because the non-competing person at the roadblock helped their teammate? From years of watching I could tell it was obviously a rule, but I've never seen any one get called for it before.

I've always wondered what the exact rules were on it. A lot of the roadblock challenges seem to separate the teammates enough that they can't really help; but I guess it makes sense that if one person is doing the challenge, the other can't assist.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

3peat posted:

In my country we have a stereotype about americans being stupid, and I swear this show is trying it's best to reinforce that stereotype to me. How the hell would none of them know the motto of the french revolution, which is like the most important event in the last 1000 years of human history? Even if they'd have a brain fart, how would they not remember it after seeing the first word? None of them even managed to pronounce those 3 words remotely right

French Revolution as the most important event of the last millennia of history? I don't deny that it's significant...but why is it the most important?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

GuavaMoment posted:

On one of the epenis games there was a question "Who would you most like to see on the race" and I remember answering Geoff and Gavin from RoosterTeeth. Those two aren't going buuuuut:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D3yzrZi6Fw

I'm now excited for next season!

Burnie goddamn Burns on Amazing Race? Yes, please!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

sportsgenius86 posted:

what the gently caress is a Vine Star and how

Someone who posts a lot of things to Vine that other people find funny.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Part of me feels bad for the cheerleaders, especially because I know that I have a great deal of trouble opening my eyes underwater...but man; 5 tries at one challenge....you kinda deserve the loss at the point.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Haschel Cedricson posted:

I legitimately forgot the paparazzi were a couple and not just coworkers.

They never really emphasized it much until that one episode where suddenly everyone is talking abut possible marriage plans.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Are "zany YouTube personalities" really any different than "zany newscasters, super fans, cheerleaders, etc"

It's just a profession

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm only watching for Burnie. I hope he's not out too early.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

aidoru posted:

Also the fact that they only put their twitter handles below their names and not relationship status or what they're known for irks me. Maybe they did put relationships and I missed it - but I sure can't tell annoying white kid apart from annoying white kid so far.

I'm like this at the start of every season of every CBS reality show. "Who the gently caress are all these people!?!" I don't even think it's a problem with this season at all; give it a couple eliminations and the standouts will start to distinguish themselves.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I wouldn't be surprised if the excessive wackiness greatly decreases after the first couple legs. 1) editing will most like spend more time on drama than lolmonleycheese vine hits, 2) the teams that spend too much time goofing off and not enough time focusing on the race will get eliminated.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

sportsgenius86 posted:

I'm assuming they think these people are actually famous and they want to hook their "fans" before they eliminate anyone.

Some of these people are actually famous. Did you not catch the scene of some of them getting stopped for photos at the airport?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

aidoru posted:

Famous in an incredibly select group of people. The only reason my mom knew any of these people was because she saw the magic vine guy on an episode of the Today show.

Maybe it's a good idea for getting a few extra million (being generous here, more like a thousand or hundred) people watching, but for long time fans who don't pay attention to YouTube famous people, it honestly sucks.

Is that any different than any other season? Do you regularly know all the teams from a given season?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Victorkm posted:

In my opinion, penalties should have been handed out for teams who used Burnie's answer for the bench.

Teams working together has never been penalized before; only if the sitting-out team member helps on a roadblock.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yes, because absolutely none of Cole's personality is an act for the benefit of the camera, and is 100% representative of his day to day life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

WampaLord posted:

I still can't get over that he was such a thick meathead that they had to use the Express Pass on that water puzzle thing because he's too dumb to understand "line up the floating letters with the letter shaped holes."

I'm pretty sure he understood what he was supposed to be doing...just failing at making it happen.

• Locked thread