Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

I can't believe Mr. I've Seen Every Episode Of The Show Like 5 Times Each thinks that using U-Turns is playing dirty.

Oh wait, yes I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

LostRook posted:

It doesn't make any sense on Amazing Race.

I don't see why it doesn't. There's no strategy to Amazing Race, but if there's a team consistently placing first, why wouldn't you want to trip them up? It's a fun mechanic and I enjoy seeing it used, but I hate the inevitable whining about how unfair it is. You know it exists coming into the race, you can't act surprised when it happens, so why put other players down for essentially playing the game the producers are telling them to play?

If it's unfair to trip others, it should be unfair to jump over others, too (fast forward). But no one gets upset when a player uses a fast forward and calls them cheaters.

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

"Best friends"

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

Pretty sure a viner is worse.

I was pretty excited when I heard Burnie and Ashley would be on, but now I don't think I want to watch this season at all :(

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

They're going to livestream the start of the race, which is in a few weeks or less, so yeah, they're gonna try and hype it.

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

That save felt really hammed in. A keep racing leg followed by non elimination? Really? I like the Texas guys, but come on.

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

I don't recognize 90% of those people, and I spend a lot of time on YouTube. Hopefully they won't focus too much on their social media crap and just have them be normal contestants.

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

Well that was a boring leg. I was happy the cheerleaders didn't have to re-do the detour after someone let loose her balloons. It's so odd that everyone checked in mostly within minutes of one another.

Preview: I hope green team loses their lead. I want them to get what's coming to them.

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

hepscat posted:

You didn't see any other women on bikes out there. I don't think that was "random guy" so much as sexual harassment . Both cheerleaders said they were feeling overwhelmed by the attention that day.

I think this had something to do with it, too. I remember they had issues getting into a tuk tuk because people were yanking them by the arm. At first it seemed like it was just kids, but I couldn't see the whole crowd.

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

What a weird and uncomfortable start to the season. Coupled with awkward editing ("Your content helped me when I was down" "HAHA!") and really awkward team scenes (the mom crying because she thought they were eliminated while the annoying son just laughed uncomfortably was cringe-worthy) I have very low expectations for this season. I liked Burnie & Ashley and Zach & Rachel, everyone else felt so one note. Though maybe I'm biased because I like their content.

I think that's a major downside to this season - you only want to root for the teams you know anything about, and everyone else feels annoying or gimmicky. I hope they don't do anything like this again. I wonder what the ratings will be for the premiere.

Also the fact that they only put their twitter handles below their names and not relationship status or what they're known for irks me. Maybe they did put relationships and I missed it - but I sure can't tell annoying white kid apart from annoying white kid so far.

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

Oh my god, I forgot about deaf Luke. He was the one who decided someone who beat him to the clue box laughing awkwardly hated him for being deaf, right?

e; Found the clips online. Yikes.

aidoru fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 13, 2016

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

oh yeah, what's with Cole crying in the beginning? it's like he's completely homeschooled and has never left his house before.

Isn't that his schtick? It was really awkward for them to cut back and forth between all the couples excitedly grabbing their bags to a couple teams outright sobbing.

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

jivjov posted:

Some of these people are actually famous. Did you not catch the scene of some of them getting stopped for photos at the airport?

Famous in an incredibly select group of people. The only reason my mom knew any of these people was because she saw the magic vine guy on an episode of the Today show.

Maybe it's a good idea for getting a few extra million (being generous here, more like a thousand or hundred) people watching, but for long time fans who don't pay attention to YouTube famous people, it honestly sucks.

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

That's why this sort of sucks. The show was constantly hamming up "You know him from (thing)!" and... well, no, I don't. I know it was just a first episode get-to-know sort of thing, but I hope from here-on out they at least put what they're known for below their names rather than just their handles. It helps differentiate, just like how in every other season you tend to remember teams by calling them "the scientists" or "the gay dudes" or "the cheerleaders." As-is, it expects you to remember names/internet monickers, and that's really hard when you've got twenty people you've never seen before.

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

Undeclared Eggplant posted:

Agreed. And a strange speed bump too in that it took up time, but involved only watching the locals do something while pretending to help.

And screaming bloody murder while trying to grab a fish flopping around. Was rather sad they weren't eliminated. Still, content with the first team out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

I liked how someone lost their chance to get on an earlier flight because of lovely internet on a season featuring lovely internet stars.

• Locked thread