Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Am I really the only person who hates this season? So far this is easily my least favorite season. I barely have any idea who half the teams are because they weren't introduced at the beginning, nor are their team descriptions very memorable or descriptive, and on top of that the tasks are all terrible. Plus there''s all the #selfie business and a dumb gimmick.

That isn't to say I won't watch the rest of it. I'll watch it because I have nothing better to do and I'm stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
That was bad. This gimmick is bad. This season is bad.

Laura & Tyler are so obviously winning I can't even believe it. They've been the only team to have their pictures shown in each episode, several episodes having only their picture and no other team's. Oh yeah, the selfies are bad too.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
There have been far worse things that have happened to teams in the past and production didn't change it to be a non-elimination leg so I doubt that's the case here, especially since they had a Final 4 last season. The only time that I recall the race being changed in the middle because of production errors, aside from the time credits mentioned, is when one of the clue givers for a task was mistaken on the correct answer. Even then, I'm pretty sure the leg was already predetermined to be a non-elimination, they just added a bunching spot in the next leg and got rid of the speedbump.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Tellah posted:

Edit: Also it would have been better if Andorra hadn't ruined it for me, because once I read that post I couldn't unsee their inevitable victory. Thanks, dude.

:smug:

The first thing that set me off was seeing them take a picture with Phil in the season premiere even though they were almost invisible the entire leg and didn't win it either. If I posted that then, man my e-penis would be so big right now.

The second half of the season was significantly better than the first, but given how bad that was it's not saying much. I will say that I enjoyed seeing the show come back to a city I've spent a lot of time in, although if they wanted a task to be more relevant to Dallas they could have had teams search for a specific car on I-35. It's not like it would be moving.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
The only time I can even think of a team having a home advantage was in the first season. Frank & Margarita were from NYC and the last cluebox was only about a few blocks away from their house, so Frank was telling their taxi driver the fastest way to get there that would avoid traffic. Except it was in the early hours of the morning without any traffic so the other team went directly there on the main road and won.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

MrDingleDangle posted:

I was a late starter to the amazing race (season 12 was my first), so have gone back and watched since old seasons in hulu,so far watched seasons 6 and 7

First of all a couple observation, the tasks were a lot more physical and a lot less talent based, there were absolutely no singing or dancing. So I kind of like that as no one gets caught in a task they just can't do.

Second, it's obvious the rest periods were a lot less, simply by the fact of the lack of any makeup on any of the racers. Not sure how Kynt and Vixon would have survived these early years.

The 1 thing I can't stand is the non elimination penalty, I can't stand the begging, especially when it happens in undeveloped countries.

What season did they end the begging aspect of the show? I know speed bumps sometimes are pointless, but it's a lot better then begging. I don't even mind the taking of possessions, but the no money sucks.

The begging penalty was from seasons 5-9. In seasons 1-4 there just straight up wasn't a penalty and in seasons 10/11 there was a 30 minute penalty for not checking in first the following leg.

If you're looking for suggestions of what seasons to watch, I'd recommend 3 and especially 5.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

The Gunslinger posted:

Why didn't green team get uturned when the cheerleaders chose them? Or is that the next leg?

I had to laugh at team texas not understanding that rowing together is a thing.

U-turns only affect teams behind you. When they reach the board and see that they've been u-turned they have to go do the other side of the detour before continuing.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Eltoasto posted:

haha yeah the more it dragged on with the Bama group, you could tell those people really just wanted to get the gently caress out of there.

Also didn't we have some people a few seasons ago wreck their car in France (by putting non-diesel in it?) and then decide to just take it easy with a nice night at a hotel, knowing they were screwed?

That was in the third season (the one with Flo) :eng101: That was a great moment too, because three other teams filled their car with unleaded as well and they all reacted in a different way. They checked into a hotel, another team sat on the side of the road crying, Flo yelled at Zach, and the Vietnam vet drained the gas himself and walked back to the station to buy some diesel.

That season was a lot better than this one.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
The cast for next season has been announced. Trust me, you really don't want to read it. :suicide:

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Propaganda Machine posted:

Hay guys, how's this season shaping up? Is it worth catching up on?

It started out a little weak, but the last few episodes have been pretty good imo. It's a lot better than last season at least.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Eltoasto posted:

Yeah there was a "sit on this block of ice for 10 minutes" speedbump, it was bullshit

There was also one where the speedbump was to walk five steps to the left in the same plaza as the clue and toss a coin into a large hole.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I just want the news team to finish in second because that's funny.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

hepscat posted:

I don't know if they publicize what 2nd place earns but you can't help but wonder what 8 Travelocity trips plus the 2nd place prize is.

There was an old interview I came across a while back from around season 7 or so, which was when this show was the most popular. Apparently 2nd place only gets $25k. But then again one of the prizes Justin & Diana won was something like $30k, so who knows if that's still true.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Did anyone else watch the premiere for the new season? It was just as awful as you'd imagine a cast of internet celebrities to be.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
You guys actually like Tyler & Korey? :psyduck: I can't stand them, they're so annoying. They are by far my least favorite team of the season, so watch them win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

qbert posted:

I'm happy Tyler and Korey lost.

Yeah, me too.

Hopefully next season is better. Maybe it was just the cast that was bad, but I really didn't enjoy this season.

• Locked thread