Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
The selfie thing is going to get annoying.

I'm amazed no one actually switched detours. Especially since it was almost 4 hours that one team was there.

The more I think about it, a u-turn on the first leg is a bad idea, since almost no one is going to take it until the final few teams. Even though it's blind, there's no strategy coming into play with it.

It'll be interesting to see how the blind dates work out, but it's too early to say much one way or another. It's an obvious play for viewers/ratings, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
Missing their train because they were taking selfie videos :haw:

Date night is a cool idea, but does reek of Survivor. I think they've done some similar things in the past, though.

Not exactly a bad episode, still too early to really have any teams to root for. I do like that most of the teams are enjoying the race this time, that's always a plus for me.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

Andorra posted:

I barely have any idea who half the teams are because they weren't introduced at the beginning, nor are their team descriptions very memorable or descriptive

The worst* part about this season is that the team descriptions are either "Dating" or "Blind Dating".

* In the way of "this is a mild inconvenience that makes it harder to actually distinguish the teams"

Narcissus1916 posted:

For those who like this season, did you also enjoy the family edition?

If so, gently caress you.

I haven't actually seen the family edition, but at least the teams this season are getting to travel around the world, instead of around the US in vans.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
That was a pretty boring episode, honestly. No apparent roadblock, the people in last were there because of bad plane schedules, and we continue the theme of one detour taking a lot longer than the other, and being the obvious bad choice.

I'm hoping the legs will get better, but so far this season has been a bit mediocre.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
3 weeks until the next episode? That's going to kill the show more than Friday night deathslot.

This was another leg with a detour option of death, and a fairly straight-forward roadblock. It felt like they spent a good portion of the episode on people trying to find the metal castle just to drag it out.

I'm waiting for the doctor to intentionally sabotage a task or something so he can end the bad date.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
Sports: Ruining The Amazing Race's schedule since 2001.

CapnAndy posted:

This is a bad season and someone was clearly way too into the whole "BLIND DATE LET'S MAKE THEM FALL IN LOVE ON THE RACE" idea, and I think it was Phil, because he's just so into it at the mat. My only joy remains all the teams just taking every opportunity to rubbish the stupid gimmick to his face.

Yeah, he keeps bringing it up too much for the blind date gimmick to be something the producers thrust upon him. Watching some of the blind date teams just rolling with the competition part and ignoring the "date" part is pretty good.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
Hey it's back! :geno:

Nothing too exciting, though teams did fail to drive a stick shift. And the last gay team gave up and quit because of the stick shift. That's disappointing, really.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

MrDingleDangle posted:

I like the teams mostly this year, I dont like the challenges, nothing has been too hard. Like tonight, in past seasons when they had to sing, even in a foreign language, they had to memorize it. Each episode some team gets out first early and it just remains that way, there is only leap frogging like 1 or 2 teams in a task, the only task (except driving stick) that caused any team any major trouble was dancing.

Ill really like this season IF the tasks get harder.

This is pretty much my complaint with this season. I want to see interesting, complex challenges that allow teams to change positions and get through the legs via skill. What's happened so far is most of the challenges are purely a "this takes X time, this takes Y time", especially the detours with one task clearly taking a lot longer than the other. Most of the time, the seasons start a bit slow and the challenges ramp up, though sometimes the final leg is utterly disappointing (be the first person to find the helicopter ride place!) There hasn't really been anything that slowed down a team when they're at a challenge this year, though, except for the dancing in Japan. The two teams that ended up being behind this leg did so because they couldn't drive stick and they got lost. That was about it. This is probably one of the first times I've seen so many racers on the mat together leg after leg.

At least the teams are all generally worth watching, especially the doctor looking at the camera whenever his date from hell starts complaining.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
The teams seem to be having fun the last couple of seasons in general. I don't remember any constantly complaining teams in too many of the recent seasons, though I'm sure there were a few (I don't think they got too far, though)

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
I do like the "racing with strangers" gimmick, and I wouldn't mind seeing seeing another round with something like that. They're just trying to push the "love" gimmick too much, and almost none of the racers are buying it.

I was tripped up with the editing this week. I fully expected the perfume makers to be the last ones on the mat.

2 hour episode next week. And they go to Africa.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
I think this episode wins the award for "slowest walk to the mat".

Blair's long past caring about his teammate, and his comments about her being distracted by the hot pilot were hilarious.

That was one of the more entertaining episodes, with teams missing the salt licks, all the wild dogs and elephants and zebras, and the one team freaking out because all the other teams stopped to double check their directions. The challenges still haven't been anything special, but there might be some fun stuff next time.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

SteveVizsla posted:

WTF was with the editing up to the road block? It was like a completely different show.

And of course Jenny gets it quickly.

I wouldn't be able to handle being in Blair's position, with her constantly telling him to hurry. That would stress me out too much.

Yeah, the editing for the first chunk of the show was weird.

"You're riding your bike too fast, Blair, slow down"

Sometime later...

"Hurry up Blair"

qbert posted:

I kind of feel bad for Haley. She may be really annoying in stressful situations, but it must suck to have a giant network show spend a huge chunk of time every week highlighting how annoying you are. She doesn't necessarily seem like a bad person or anything. Just insufferable.

She could argue that the editing is the cause, or their personalities just don't mesh very well together. That team is the most entertaining, just because Blair is always commenting and winking to the camera.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
Four teams left.

Another leg with very little chances to change placement. And an easy/hard detour choice. I'm hoping that the last two legs will be better designed, but I'm not really expecting much.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
So, the leg before the final leg. And they're repeating last year's four teams get into the final leg, eliminate one team during the course of it. Seems like the truckers had a bad leg more because their taxi broke down and dancing is hard rather than anything else. Though I don't expect they'll succeed in winning, even though I want them to win. They just don't quite have it together enough.

Team Doctor are doing well, though. They seem to be willing to just set aside their problems with each other now that it's the last leg, and they'll likely never have to see each other after this. Most of the teams are pretty even in skill level, really.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
They really need to just hire some specific drivers for the final leg at this point. The amount of times teams have been knocked out because of bad cab drivers is pretty crazy.

The leg itself wasn't too bad, as Zwabu said, the challenges at least had some potential for failure and the lead changed multiple times.

The seasons was rather lackluster in general though.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

Toast posted:

Actually the reason (that my mind is telling me was explained at some point in a behind the scenes interview) is it keeps the teams from being too dangerous while the adrenaline is pumping as they approach the final finish line.

I see absolutely zero problems with providing them a car and a driver who's instructed to only go where they tell him and provide no info.

Letting the teams drive themselves on the last leg is a bad idea, they'll be going 160 mph on the highways and running red lights to get that sweet, sweet million dollars.

Having the production team line up 3 or 4 cab drivers who will stick around for the whole leg and have a full tank of gas and know where everything is, but won't actually go anywhere unless the teams tell them would go a long way towards turning the finale from 2 teams racing to the mat and one team stuck with a bad cabbie to all the teams having an even chance.

Or get Google to sponsor the next season and use self driving cars for the last leg :v:

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
The inter-team drama sucks and is not why I watch the race, as mancalamania posted, the Amazing Race was originally all about surviving or failing on your own skills, and there really wasn't any big drama or fighting between the teams.

The super leg is pretty great, though. Along with a completely wasted express pass.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
Yeah, this would have been a far more boring leg if the teams hadn't hosed up by misreading the clue or rushing off instantly. It was at least a little exciting having all the teams effectively right on top of each other, but the tasks didn't allow for any really shuffling.

The paparazzi team is scum.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

Baddog posted:

A team can still only u-turn one time in a race right? So the cheerleaders using the uturn when they knew they were last was ridiculous.

Maybe they thought there were other teams behind them? They knew they were last out of the painting challenge, but the green team was doing the other side of the detour, so, it could make sense?

The Gunslinger posted:

I had to laugh at team texas not understanding that rowing together is a thing.

That was funny.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
If I remember right, the French revolution influenced the governments of Europe, and also set in motion the Napoleon wars, and probably set the stage for WW1. The American independence influenced the French revolution, mostly by allowing the French to set up Democracy 2.0, from the lessons learned during the early development of the American government. Most important event of 1,000 years? Probably not (there's plenty of other contenders), but it's likely in the top 10.

The American independence had influence, but I don't think it was required for the French revolution to occur.

As for the racers not knowing the motto, it's understandable. The French revolution is barely taught in schools here, and it's mostly done in a "the American revolution totally caused the French to revolt later on" way. I had to laugh at the various terrible pronunciations of the words, though. There's no way I would have gotten it right either (French is a messed up language of silent letters), but I know I would have been closer than some of the racers.

I'm rather excited for the double leg. Those are fun. The tasks are still fairly easy, but double legs are the sort of thing that makes easy looking tasks impossible.

I wonder if there's going to be an elimination during the rapping task for the Alabama team. Also, anyone have a translation of the lyrics? I wonder if they're keeping the subtitles in French cause the lyrics are "bad".

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
That was a pretty good leg. The ship simulator was cool, and there was some changes in position for a variety of reasons.

The team that got passed in the ship simulator by the green team is the team bland of this year. I didn't remember who they were. This means they'll probably end up winning.

hepscat posted:

I'm not sorry to see the dentists go. You have to wonder if that's the first time they've actually used public transportation.

Probably. Waiting 30 minutes for the bus is the exact opposite of what you should be doing in a situation like this.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

ShakeZula posted:

The Texans' strategy of "let's just chill out around Paris for a few hours until our scheduled train" is still the worst move of this leg, though.

They got super lucky there was a reset of all the teams overnight, otherwise, they would have been completely screwed. As it was, they were only slightly screwed.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
What's worse, a reality tv star, or a youtube celebrity?

(the answer is they're both terrible)

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
Non-elim legs are almost always planned out ahead of time, though this one was drat convenient.

It was kind of a simple leg though. None of the challenges were really the sort to allow for position swapping, and the main reason Texas got last was trouble finding a taxi. Watching the cheerleaders desperately beg for money was kind of cringe-worthy.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
I'd be surprised if green team fails to win the whole thing. Most of the other teams just aren't as good, and the biggest chance to get them out has passed.

It's been a pretty good season so far, though.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
A pretty short leg this time around, lots of physical challenges that didn't really result in any changes in position. The third u-turn of the race was the only reason the paparazzi dropped to forth.

Preview: looks like the next leg has a really difficult swimming based challenge that might shake things up. Who knows if the green team will still be around afterwards

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
As much as they're trying to make the green team the bad guys, Justin is obviously a fan of the race, and basically knows what he's doing, more than the rest of the teams.

The paparazzi are the only team I don't want to see winning, because they're not good people.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

WampaLord posted:

I'm not old and I'm irritated too. Looks like too many "zany" YouTube personalities. My :rolleyes: per episode will be enormous.

I'm glad the reporters won, and I laughed so hard when Phil called out the paparazzi as being completely terrible to each other.

Phil calling out the paparazzi as being horrible partners was hilarious. I'm glad they didn't win.

Justin sending the cab away was one of those amateur mistakes. I'd still prefer a chauffeured final leg, but there's that hasn't happened yet and I don't see it happening any time soon. The tasks for this leg were some of the best final leg tasks in a while. Combining memory and physical tasks is a great way of doing it.

Hopefully next season won't have too many cringeworthy or eye rolling moments. Might be worth tracking down a Canadian race instead if that's the case.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
Thoughts on the first episode: There's a few more annoying teams than usual, but it's not as bad as I expected. There's a few teams I enjoy and will be rooting for. The challenges didn't seem particularly hard, though, but that could just be a set of first leg easy challenges. I am glad they seemingly got rid of the express pass. Or at least it's not being rewarded to the winners of the first leg anymore. I don't particularly like the twitter handles under the teams, hopefully that'll go away. Otherwise, it'll be at least as difficult to distinguish teams as the dating/blind date season. I'm really hoping multiple teams gently caress up because they decide to take a selfie.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

IRQ posted:

The teams were less annoying this ep, but man are a lot of them dumb as poo poo.

This sums up my thoughts on the second episode. Some really dumb moves by a few teams. Most of them will probably be gone in a few legs.

At the moment, I'm mostly rooting for the gay team, and the team who won this leg. After looking it up, it turns out they're the same team.

Wikipedia also mentions that the winners of the first leg got $2,000 each, but it wasn't aired. That solves that mystery.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
Boring leg. Boring teams. I wonder if the finale will involve skydiving from a helicopter.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
Train bunching! Right at the end!

The team that got last probably would have been in the bunch as well, if they had run, instead of slowly walked to the connecting train.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
Fairly straight forward leg this time around, especially since almost everyone took the "quick to do, but need to overcome fear" detour. This episode at least had really pretty views, though rather rear end clenching if you had a fear of heights.

Next episode is April 1st. See everyone in 3 weeks (assuming anyone comes back)

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Is it just me or have there already been too many non elimination legs? It's boring me that no one's getting eliminated.

So far, there's only been two non-elim legs. The first leg, and this one. There's usually about 3 per season, so it's just you.

The late game express pass isn't too bad. And I always enjoy double legs, though hopefully there's no placement reset before or during the next leg.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

Riptor posted:

I don't think there's ever been a single non-elimination leg or 'to be continued' leg where someone on this forum hasn't called bullshit on it

It comes up at least once per season. If not every time it happens. Usually whenever it's a team that someone dislikes.

Cole is definitely annoying, though his mom has done a good job keeping at it. The dancing team had the obligatory abusive spouse breakdown this leg.

Riptor posted:

Tyler and Corey are awesome

I like watching them. They're definitely the standard gay team, but they're having a decent amount of fun in the race and I can't hate that. :shobon:

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
Except for the salt roadblock, that was a leg I would like to do myself. It was funny seeing everyone freak out over the snakes.

As far as leg design, yeah, that was pretty poo poo. The elimination was just because one team had a woman do the physical leg.

And because I'm always curious about the prices whenever they do "sell things to the locals" challenges, 10,000 rupiah is about $1 USD, or the price of 2 bananas. Or according to this site, about 1/5th the price of a McDonalds combo meal. That explains why everyone was willing to buy it.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
That roadblock was pretty terrible. This late in the game, the challenge should be more than "jump off a thing".

Otherwise, it was a smart play by the other teams to knock out Brodie and Kurt. They were one of the strongest teams, so now it's mostly down to the gay guys and the rooster teeth couple. The other two teams are absolute poo poo.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
Tyler and Corey are the only team that's actually good at this point. Sucks to see Bernie and Ashley knocked out.

This season hasn't been particularly great. Most of the teams are mediocre, and most of the legs have been fairly straight forward with very little switching around in position.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

qbert posted:

I'm happy Tyler and Korey lost.

I'm not. They were the best skilled out of the three remaining teams.

None of the teams were particularly great, and the legs have been pretty bland. The entire leg was decided by who got the clue first when they jumped, and the final challenge was pretty simple as well, no extra letters or anything to throw people off.

I'm hoping next season will be better, but if they're on a lower budget than the earlier, good seasons, I won't hold out for much improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

Eltoasto posted:

Didn't watch because I figured Tyler and Korey would win, but that leg sounds like crap and a good representation of the season.

The dancers won because they jumped off a building and managed to grab a clue hanging in front of them, where the the other teams took two and three tries each.

The dancers were done with the final challenge before the other teams even showed up, though it seems they did the other tasks fairly quickly. They couldn't even use editing to disguise the mystery of who might come in first. The final challenge is usually the part of the race that decides the final leg, but it wasn't even that hard. Essentially remember 9 of the cities they've been to, with each one having a hashtag and spelling out the city names. Good final challenges have a bunch of red herrings to throw people off and second guess themselves. For this one, when the teams finished, there were no extra letters or hashtags left, so even if they had forgotten one of them, they could easily figure it out from the process of elimination.

So, yeah, crap leg, crap season.

• Locked thread