Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!

The Game

As you are well aware, The Sims is a long running and extremely well received life simulation game developed by Maxis and designed by co-founder Will Wright, and published by EA Games. The first game in the series is very unique compared to it's many sequels and spin-offs, so what better to revisit the classic that started it all? The core concept is simple enough: You create virtual people called "Sims", build and decorate their homes, and live out their lives while keeping them happy, well fed, and making sure their wallets are filled with §§§! The Sims Complete Collection also adds every single expansion pack ever released and adds even a small amount of other additional content. I'll try to explore as much as I can!

The LP

The Sims is a game with no real end and could theoretically be played forever until the end of time. There is however, a slight reward for playing a single household up to it's 100th day, so if anything I'm going to be shooting for that as one of my goals. Don't trust me to keep track however, as I've already lost count while playing. Besides, I don't want you to stress over it too much: it's the journey, not the destination! No cheats will be used with the exception of showing off the occasional debug cheat that won't normally give us an unfair advantage in any way. I'll try my best to be as informative as possible to explain all of the game's unique, quirky game mechanics.

Our Household

We will begin with two male adult Sims in what we shall from now on call The Suffolk Household. Households in The Sims can always change withe the addition (and loss) of Sims. As of the LP, they are:

Preston T. Suffolk: College flunky and mostly average joe.

Caesar Montello Suffolk: Bit of a recluse and workaholic.

Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can I purchase this game on Origin?
A: Nope! EA hates you and refuses to sell their older games, especially since The Sims 4 was released just last year. Luckily, physical copies of the game and expansion packs alone are practically everywhere in thrift stores and flea markets. The Complete Collection itself however did not have very many copies made, making it one of the more rarer to find and hella more expensive to purchase. Used copies online can go for around $30-$60, while a sealed package is nearly $100 for PC and $150 for MAC.

Q: Will you be using mods?
A: As for now, no not really. The expansion packs alone add a lot of content that will take me a lot of time to explore in full. Maybe at some point after exhausting their contents, I might see if I can find anything interesting to download and post the source.

Q: Will you be using Free Will?
A: Free Will is enabled by default and there's really not much of a reason to turn it off. In The Sims, it's just a toggle rather than a slider like in the later games, though you can still tweak Sim autonomy via cheat commands, though that won't be necessary. The part of the fun of The Sims is that the game is like an aquarium or a petting zoo, you wanna see what your Sims do on their own and how they react to their environment, as you occasionally poke and prod. Plus having around four to eight Sims becomes a handful and you kind of need them to be at least a little independent as you focus on the more important things at hand.

Q: How do I type the Simoleon symbol on my keyboard?
A: If you hold Alt and type "21" on your numeric keypad, you will be able to §§§ at your hearts content!

The Update List

Part 0: Welcome to Oldtown
Part 1: Moving Day
Part 2: Dawn of the First Day
Part 3: poo poo, let's be cops!
Part 4: Crime doesn't pay (the bills)
Part 5: Steady Recovery
Part 6: Out on the (Old) Town!

Captain Sheepy fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
Part 0: Welcome to Oldtown

As is always, our splines must be reticulated. Whatever that means.

Not long after that, we are greeted with the main screen of the neighborhood, greeting us with some rather pleasant, if not loud, music!

The Northern part of the neighborhood is the main section which came with the base game. The red arrow pointing to one of the houses is the Newbie household, the game's tutorial house that we won't be playing. The top left of the screen on the toolbar shows the neighborhood number: There are eight different copies of the neighborhood to play with in case you run out of room, and you can even trick to game in adding more if you fiddle around the files enough (at your own discretion!) but we won't be needing to do that.

And of course just south of that is-

Well... I couldn't have said it any better!

...Yes, this game uses Comic Sans as it's main font.

:eng101: To be more clear, the Oldtown District is home to both residential and community lots alike. Community lots are, for the most part, mom and pop shops that your Sims can visit and buy mostly useless garbage, but also pets and gardening supplies! It adds a great expanse to the base game, only it had to come with one of the more annoying expansion packs. There's of course new houses and Sims to live there, so more living space in our already cramped neighborhood is always appreciated. For this LP, we will be playing in tried and true Neighborhood 1, the base game neighborhood!

This right here is the "Select-a-Family" screen. From here we have three pre-made households to choose from, whose names are quite familiar if you've played any of the recent installments, and of course the ability to create our very own Sims. How exciting! As you might expect, that is what we are going to be doing.

A single household can make up a max total of 8 Sims at any given time, and this does include pets, which we can't create in this screen however. From the "Create-a-Sim" screen, we can create either an adult or a child Sim, though you are required to have at least one adult Sim in order to finish creating the household. There is no option to select household relations, so everyone starts off with only 20% relationship points with each other to start. They also always start with §20,000 (Simoleons) regardless of household size, which can really make or break their living conditions at the start as it's usually not enough unlike the financial generosity of the later games.

Sim creation, as it stands in the original, is very limited compared to the many sequels and spin-offs. We've certainly come a long way since turn of the millennium! From here, we can choose a head, a body (there are my different types of outfits, recolors, and whatever one you pick determines the Sim's overall bodytype: Slim, Fit, or Chubby) their skin tone, which comes in three colors, and of course, their Personality.

A Sim's personality determines what zodiac they are on a table scale I would assume, defining who they are by their actions and behavioral patterns. No Sim is perfect and some of their personality traits may have to be minmaxed in order to escape overall mediocrity in their mostly pathetic, soap opera inspired lives. The many expansion packs and collection packs include an additional amount of heads and bodies to choose from, from basically late 90's casual wear, business wear, to fantasy costumes and even sci-fi military uniforms made in promotion for the Command and Conquer franchise of RTS games, also made by EA. Here is the first half of our household: Preston T. Suffolk.

"And they tell you that going to college can help lead you to success. Hmph... Well, I guess it's not so bad. Maybe my new housemate and I will make great progress in our lives. I wonder what kind of guy he is..."

Meet Caesar Montello Suffolk!

"Aw Hell, how did I end up in this mess? Hopefully the new roommate won't be too much of a bother. I hear he's a nice enough guy at least, but I'll make sure to keep an eye on him."

With that, we have our household! Two is the perfect number of Sims to start out with, as a one household Sim could easily get stuck in a cycle of never ending loneliness, while a household of four or more will lead to a very rocky financial start that may take an extremely long time to make progress from. We can always invite other Sims to move in with us if we so please, but for now we'll just have our dynamic duo here to keep us entertained. From here, we can begin our journey!

Lastly, we will build our home here, on 8 Sim Lane, a large lot. Each lot is assigned a number, which is useful to remember if you're downloading user made houses from the internet, which fan sites will have information regarding which lot they require to occupy. This was before there was ever an option to place around empty lots of varying sizes you wanted, but it'll have to do. This lot is great too because it's right next to the river flowing through Oldtown and it has enough room to build the house of our dreams. It's right across the street from the Goth family house and the Newbie family is just down the street. The rest of the houses on our encircled street are for sale. Houses kind of act as individual saved games essentially.

In the next update: We will begin building our house!

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
Part 1: Moving Day

Here we have selected Build Mode. The Sims was heavily inspired by the many architecture and home design software programs that were common during the 1990's and the Build and Buy Modes are not dissimilar in function. Below you can see the Build tools, which we can use to build the house itself on our lot. The grid shows the land we actually own. Sorry, but we won't be able to build a dock on our side of the river. We can only assume it's SimCity property. Your Sims will first start out standing between the sidewalk and the road near the mailbox and trashcan, so they aren't in the way when building. During gameplay, you will have to move them if you wish to build an addon to the house or to redecorate a room in which they might be obstructing. It's a bit of a hassle, but we'll live. The Build Mode has it's own soundtrack, featuring mostly somber or relaxing classical piano tunes.

"So this is our new home. The weather is quite nice and I like how close we are to the water."

"It's not so bad. Oldtown has a rich history with an even richer flora and fauna. Plus, we're not too far from the town itself."

"It's amazing guys like us can live in such a nice neighborhood with such empty pockets."

Sims are very picky about their living conditions. Any hallway should be at least two tiles wide for easier travel. They also hate perfectly square or rectangular rooms and prefer rooms with more corners. As for the house as a whole, the more square feet, the better.

"As long as I'm not stuck in a tiny box all day, I couldn't care less."

The wall tool does not only just build walls as you might think, but as you can see below, we have a wide arrange of options for such things like fences and pillars. We need to save our household funds, so until then, they will have to wait.

"A white picket fence would be too cliche. I'd want the front porch to at least have some sort of railing though. A bit of nostalgia that reminds me of the home I lived in when I was a kid."

"Hey! We're already down §5,000! We haven't even installed the carpet yet!" :gonk:

Money is a bit more scarce compared the the sequels. With only §13,000 to go on, we barely have enough for the essentials, let alone a fully painted/floored one-story house.

Oddly enough, those archways are the exact same frame as the doors, but while the doors are §100 each, the archways without the door are §150. I really don't know.

"I'm a big fan of the double doors."

"The layout is nice too. A circular layout means easier travel around the house and less traffic. We can enter every room in the house from the foyer alone."

"The backyard is rather bare though. The doors just lead out to an open, empty space."

"Simoleons don't grow on trees, they say. We're not in any position at the moment to be having barbeque parties with neighbors."

"With that said, we won't have enough left over to paint the house. The roofing was free however as a bit of a bonus."

"Looks like we'll have to pick out the roof tiles after we installed the aluminum siding."

Roofs are of no cost, and can have their height set as seen by the options below. A house can also have a second floor, which Sims can ascend and descend by using flights of stairs. That's not going to be for a while now however.

Sims also need their houses to be lit up adequately enough as they hate walking around in the dark. We can't afford any lamps at the moment, but windows work just as good during the day time. The bigger the room, the more windows are needed to fully light up the room. It's generally not the best idea to build a room that is 100% encircled by other rooms so that no outside light can get in. Though some doors also have the potential to bring sunlight into the house, such as the front and back doors we installed.

Here we have Buy Mode, or also commonly referred to as the Buy Catalog. From here we can purchase furniture, appliances, plumbing, decorations, electronics, you name it. All items are sorted by type (Chairs, Beds, Couches...) and then by price from cheapest to most luxurious. Buy Mode can also be sorted by function as well if you prefer, i.e objects sorted by "Livingroom", "Study", etc. by clicking on the Buy Mode button again. In comparison with Build Mode, the Buy Mode's soundtrack is a selection of more cheerful "shopping" music.

"Man, that was practically our entire savings. We could only afford two beds for the both of us, a fridge, and a toilet. We need to make some Simoleons quick so we can finish furnishing the bathroom."

"Like I said, we won't be able to paint the walls, but at least we won't have to worry about stepping into an ant hill on our way to bed."

"I can drink to that, plus the dark color of the hardwood floor in the foyer is a nice touch. The carpets in the bedroom and the living room can always be replaced when we find the right wall paint or wallpaper to use."

That is about all we can do about the house for now. It is now time to commence the simulation over in Live Mode.

To be continued in the next update: Our housemates settle in and try to make some cash!

Captain Sheepy fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 2, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Sweet nostalgia. :)

Nice house design by the way. But I'm not sure I care for bathrooms with multiple doors.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!

Poil posted:

Sweet nostalgia. :)

Nice house design by the way. But I'm not sure I care for bathrooms with multiple doors.

For The Sims 1, it's almost a requirement. Sims aren't particularly smart and kind of enjoy blocking doorways. Bathrooms especially!

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I like the flooring choices, and going with actual floor instead of non-life-essential items on a walled-in lawn is a bold choice.

Where will the gaudy couch and ancient TV go, though?

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
I'm happy to see someone finally taking it back to where it all started with the Sims 1.
Also excited to see all the expansion content because when they came out, all those expansions when installed ground the game to a halt on my computer

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!

oldskool posted:

I like the flooring choices, and going with actual floor instead of non-life-essential items on a walled-in lawn is a bold choice.

Where will the gaudy couch and ancient TV go, though?

I'll let you use your imagination until the next update or so. With that said, if the thread has any ideas for redecorating or so, don't be afraid to drop some suggestions! I already have some screenshots of the first couple of days or so, as I had actually played this game for a few hours yesterday when I started, but after those you're all free to throw around some ideas if you want. I may also occasionally ask the thread what to do next from time to time, if you guys are into that sort of thing!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It's inherently kind of interesting seeing a straight LP of The Sims after so many crazy goon houses. Curious to see where this goes. :)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
What timing, I just watched Lazy Game Review's 15 Anniversary Retrospective video of the series (which was also the first time I heard the quote the thread title is from. And also what made me realize Sims font is Comic Sans).

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!

LORD OF BUTT posted:

It's inherently kind of interesting seeing a straight LP of The Sims after so many crazy goon houses. Curious to see where this goes. :)

I think as far as Sims LPs go, places like YouTube and even SA are kind of over saturated with a lot of tryhard wacky playthroughs wear every Sim has to have a wacky name, wacky facial features, with wacky colored hair. Not that it can't be funny from time to time, but at the same time we've seen that kind of thing a million times already by now, especially with the release of The Sims 4 with it's unique Create-A-Sim features and cartoonish charm. Not to mention LPs of the original game itself are kind of rare, I've actually looked on YT for a VLP of TS1 (holy acronyms Batman!) and they're mostly similar as well: LPer talks about their nostalgia for five minutes, hastily makes a nuclear family with unoriginal names, have difficulties using Buy Mode, then has nothing to talk about for ten updates before deciding to intentionally burn down the entire house and everyone in it. But mostly, typing in "The Sims 1" YouTube search mostly gets you "The Sims 3/4 PART 1" rather than the results you were looking for.

The Sims 1 has a lot of depth to it under the hood I feel, with many concepts that aren't even present in the sequels, innovating a series that was originally thought to never catch on by it's publishers. There's a lot interesting about the game I think and it deserves to be looked at with great detail rather than using it as a means of quick cheap monkeycheese humor for internet popularity. There's a LOT to talk about that I never really hear from particularly anyone who plays the game. Perfect opportunity to make a thread I guess!
:eng101:

mycot posted:

What timing, I just watched Lazy Game Review's 15 Anniversary Retrospective video of the series (which was also the first time I heard the quote the thread title is from. And also what made me realize Sims font is Comic Sans).

It's one of my favorite factoids about the game's development and I think partially one of the reasons for the game's success and appeal. The Sims 1 especially has a very distinctive soap opera feel to it and the game's color pallet really reflects the kind of TV drama you'd catch on light nights around the time the game first entered development. It's easy to identify with internationally and the entire series can fit almost any narrative depending on the player.

As for the thread title: I originally wanted to title the thread either "Adventures in American Television Culture" or "American Television Culture Studies", but they were both too long.
:eng99:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

As someone whose played every Sims game except for 4, TS1 has a very unique feel. Like, it almost seems like a different franchise to me. TS2 and TS3 feel far more related than TS1 and TS2 do to me, probably because the new features in TS2 completely changed the way you played the game. Unless you were one of those lame people who kept aging off, I guess. But as much nostalgia I have for TS1 and as much as I think it has the best non-OFB expansions in the series, I find it really hard to go back to a time before days of the week with days off and before aging and legacy play.

But TS1 really has a lot of charm that no game in the series has ever matched. When I was a kid, I read the description of every single object I got in a new pack, but starting from TS2, it wasn't the same. Could've been aging too I guess, but it's an experience I won't get back. :(

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
Part 2: Dawn of the First Day

So we have our house, a bed to sleep in and a roof over our heads, it's time to move our Sims right in.

This is Live Mode, the main game itself. From here, time can finally return to it's natural (or unnatural!) flow. We have full control of our Sims, with full access to all of their information that may come useful to us. For the most part, we want to have their Needs tab open through most of the time, which is indicated by the opera masks nestled in between their Mood Meter. Sims have needs and can fulfill them on their own, but a lot of the times you'll need to push them in the right direction. There's 8 needs in total, while not many people may know this, but there were originally 10 while this game was in development. As of right now, it's unknown what the two scrapped needs were, but thankfully it just means less pressure on our part!

The lovely hexagonal bipyramid up above Preston's head is the almighty PlumbBob an indicator telling us which Sim is currently selected. It's named after the weighted plummet of roughly the same shape. In the beta screenshots, the PlumbBob was more or less shaped like a cube with a prism pointed downwards towards the Sim, like so.

This tab here is the Relationship tab, which is self explanatory. Every household you create, each household member will start off with 20 relationship with each other. It's a good head start, but they're still strangers for the most part. Every Sim they meet has two meters actually, their Daily and Lifetime meters, both starting at 20. They will need to raise their Lifetime relationship meter if they plan on becoming friends, but for the most part, social interaction will count towards the Daily relationship meter, which will increase the chances of becoming friends. The relationship tab also has some categories for sorting people. The infinity represents all the people we know in the neighborhood, the smiley face represents our friends, and the silhouettes represent the people that live with us. The star represents fame, a feature added in The Sims: Superstar expansion pack, though that's for another time!

Here is the House tab, which is oddly enough symbolized with a house. This tab right here is a real goody as it tells us all the neat things about how our house currently functions. As you can see, it's the perfect Size house for such a small household and since we don't have anything broken (or really anything to actually break for that matter), our Upkeep is at %100. The Yard only has a few trees scattered around outside, but it's better than nothing. The Square Ft. counter shows us how big the actual house is as opposed to the lot itself. The lot is an unchangeable statistic and merely tells us how much land we have to build on. Our lot is large, so we shouldn't be running out of room just yet. Lastly, our Furnishings are near empty. We only have a pathetic total of four objects within out house, two of them being the cheapest bed you can buy, along with a ugly fridge and a toilet. The toilet is triumphantly displayed in this screenshot and is a symbol of all things we hold dear. When The Sims first entered development as a secret black box project, all of the Build Mode features were built first. In the very first prototype, there was only one object in the game: that being the almighty toilet. Will Wright figured it was the best object to use as a test because "there's so many things you can do with it: you could clean it, you could use it..." :destiny:

There were also non-intelligent people to move around that did practically nothing, but they served a purpose still!

Look at him. Look at him in all of his glory.

This here is the Interests tab. Sims can talk to each other about a variety of subjects indicated by the icons in their speech bubbles. Their interests are randomly generated and there's actually a bug in the game that could make your Sims have absolutely no interest in any subject whatsoever, making them impossible to get along with literally anybody. Luckily that's rare and hasn't happened to us! There are about 15 interests and Sims will pick the topic discussion on their own. There should only be a few topics that they'll actually dislike talking about, so there shouldn't be too much of a problem with them connecting with others.

"I hope the neighbors throw us a welcoming party!" :words:

"I actually wouldn't mind it, if it meant free dinner. I'm not looking forward to eating scraps for the next couple of days... and some cake would be nice too."

:3:

"Who the hell is that?"

"I smell welcoming gifts!" :allears:

"Hey there's a lot of stuff in here!"

"Huh... must be from some sort of hobbyist store."

"I have absolutely no idea what any of this stuff is."

"Well, we are hurting for Simoleons, we can probably sell this stuff so we can install a working shower."

As kind of Sims tradition, the final expansion pack always has to give you free goodies at the start of every household. The Sims: Makin' Magic sends a mystery man to our lot and gives us all sorts of gimmicky magical sorts to play with. It'd be great if we could afford to do so, so it'll have to wait until later.

Speaking of which... we're broke! Looks like these lazy bums need to find a job. Every morning, the local papergirl will drop off a newspaper, which only ever has one job opening. Unemployment is an unheard of thing in SimCity, so we'll get hired immediately without question. The job on offer is totally random and some are better than others. We get a good one right off the bat:

"Oh hey, this job pays pretty well!

"Not bad work either. The hours are perfect."

"Not to mention we get to work together!"

:unsmith:

Not long after that, we are greeted by our lovely new next door neighbors: The Goth Family!

"Haha, oh Bella, it would appear the riffraff have come into town! I do hope they enjoy quantum physics! My name is Mortimer, son of Gunther Goth."

"THE founder of Oldtown? Wow, I'm impressed. Oh well it's nice to meet you, Mortimer. My name's Preston. Preston Tyler Suffolk, at your service. Nice suit by the way." :3:

"My husband is an academic like his father before him. I stay home while I raise my daughter Cassandra. I am called Bella Goth."

"Nice to meet you too. I'm Caesar."

:confused:

"My parents were history buffs."

With the money we made from selling off the magic kit, we had just enough for a bookcase and a shower. We're almost ready to live in this house! The bookcase is essential for any household, as we can learn to cook and repair from the contents of each page. This is actually dependent on our survival, so it's best to do some book learnin' as soon as possible.

While we're here, we can also make our Sims interact with each other. This right here is the Pie menu, a Sims staple. It shows us all of our available options of interaction. Let's give complimenting Caesar a try.

"Hey, what are you doing in here! I could've been naked!"

"Oh shi-, Sorry! I just wanted to say-"

"Get out!"

:yikes:

Looks like he didn't like that.

The fridge has a few options as well. You can grab a snack, make a quick meal, make a standard meal, or serve a meal for multiple people. The fridge is an infinite container of questionable proportions, but it costs money each time you use it. In this case, it's Dinner time, so all of the options will say as such. Making a Quick Dinner costs just the same as a standard meal (§10) of one Sim, so it's more about saving time than it is saving Simoleons. Sims will occasionally venture to the fridge for snacks, which costs §5 and doesn't really fill your hunger at all. It's more economical to just serve meals, since it can serve at least six or so people for §20. But because we lack a service to cut our veggies and a stove to stew our beef, we're stuck eating beans out of the can. It doesn't really fill our Sims tummies at all, so we're going to need to upgrade soon.

"So all the stray dogs around here are pretty friendly."

"Yeah I noticed. I just hope they don't knock the trash over or anything while we're at work later."

"Must be a cat person I take it?"

"Nah, I actually quite like dogs, as long as they're well trained."

(I feel like I've learned something new about Caesar. We seem to be starting to get along well. Although, we're not quite friends yet.)

In the next update: Fine Furnishing and Superb Simoleons!

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
My first playthrough of Sims 1 ended in my self-insert dying while cooking Mac n Cheese, shortly after dying & coming back by fixing the fridge.
I can only hope our heroes avoid my fate.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

$240 a day as a mall cop? Jesus Christ, I want that job.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!

Fister Roboto posted:

$240 a day as a mall cop? Jesus Christ, I want that job.

I like to think about how the Simoleon/U.S Dollar exchange rate must be like sometimes.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Captain Sheepy posted:

I like to think about how the Simoleon/U.S Dollar exchange rate must be like sometimes.

Especially since some objects are really underpriced and some are really over priced.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
The household friend requirements for jobs suck. I ended up having kids just to get them to find and bring strange adults home to befriend

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

Oh this is fantastic. Please keep linking music! It really sends me back. This game came out when I was in 6th grade and I have a lot of fantastic memories from playing it. Despite some things that were mentioned in an earlier post (never getting a day off, no actual days of the week in general) among other things that really unpolished about this game, it is still probably my favorite in the series. I skipped 2 and went to 3 and was pretty underwhelmed... I gave 4 a whirl on my friends computer and I felt like I couldn't figure out how to control things that well.

Ahh, memories.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!

Kavingi posted:

Oh this is fantastic. Please keep linking music! It really sends me back. This game came out when I was in 6th grade and I have a lot of fantastic memories from playing it. Despite some things that were mentioned in an earlier post (never getting a day off, no actual days of the week in general) among other things that really unpolished about this game, it is still probably my favorite in the series. I skipped 2 and went to 3 and was pretty underwhelmed... I gave 4 a whirl on my friends computer and I felt like I couldn't figure out how to control things that well.

Ahh, memories.

The Sims 2 was probably my favorite, including since it had custom neighborhoods which you could make in-game using SimCity 4 files, a lot of which were already shipped with the game. The Sims 3 had to have a separate program to download that was only compatible with the Origin version, it wouldn't recognize the Steam version of the game. If you went from 4 to 2, you might actually really enjoy it I think. It had a lot in common with the first game while fixing a lot of issues the original had. I really liked the Aspiration and Want system and a lot of the objects and rewards were really cool.

The music in The Sims is pretty iconic and I figured it be foolish of me not to post them! I'll try to see where else I can put them in updates.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress

Captain Sheepy posted:

The music in The Sims is pretty iconic and I figured it be foolish of me not to post them! I'll try to see where else I can put them in updates.

I hum the shopping theme while moving furniture.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
This isn't a real update or anything, but since I'm doing an LP of this game, I've been fiddling around on other neighborhoods to get a little in touch with it. This is a mansion I started building in neighboorhood 3 on 1 Sim Lane. It's still a work in progress:

The upstairs and the back garden are really all I have left to work on:

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Am I the only one who made giant one-floor houses because I was completely incapable of remembering I had a second floor/basement and would constantly forget where my non-free-will Sims had been abandoned?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

oldskool posted:

Am I the only one who made giant one-floor houses because I was completely incapable of remembering I had a second floor/basement and would constantly forget where my non-free-will Sims had been abandoned?

Double-click on their portraits. The camera goes to them.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!

oldskool posted:

A second floor in any Sim home to me is almost a symbol of status of success in any household, considering adding a second floor costs almost as much as a second house. For the most part though, even when I do eventually add a second floor to a house playing legit, most of the important stuff, maybe save a bedroom or two, will most likely nestle on the first floor for the sake of convenience. Balconies are pretty hype though, so we gotta have one of those too. Perfect place for telescopes and other recreational objects!

In this mansion I was building for fun, having the spiral staircase connecting to the balcony was kind of unintentional, I miscalculated and figured it'd go up into the ballroom, but I like it too much to change it.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

oldskool posted:

2 Sims Lane. gently caress that house. This is the house my sister had her family in, which was a slightly modified version of our family. My father and mother, my sister and Robbie Williams (complete with a Robbie sim face), and finally my brother and I (This was before Unleashed was a thing so no pets, but the game chugged on our PC already with 6 sims).

There is a second floor to this house. That floor is irrelevant. Because every lived on the ground floor.
That bottom room was converted into a kitchen/living room, bathroom for the tiled room, the entry way just looked pretty,the room with the fireplace was a second living room. The more northern room was split into a bedroom and another bathroom.
The second floor was completely decked out but the Sims never really bothered to use it. Even with the beds being up there they always just crashed on the floor or a couch. The autonomous AI in the base game + that first expansion was pretty... not very good...

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
That house is pretty legendary, noting that it's considered the ultimate "dream house" of neighborhood 1. Just one way of playing The Sims is shooting to buy the most expensive house in the land. I remember many years back when I played this house with a full eight Sims, the entry way had become slumber party central. I also had the upstairs decked out pretty nice, balcony especially! One other thing to note about the house is that the pool has an island with a tree and some flowers, for decoration. Sims can't physically access the little island however, making it impossible for them to actually water the plants, causing them to die unless you were to manually move them every time you needed to water. It's a hassle, so I take it most people would just delete them and fill the hole.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Captain Sheepy posted:

This isn't a real update or anything, but since I'm doing an LP of this game, I've been fiddling around on other neighborhoods to get a little in touch with it. This is a mansion I started building in neighboorhood 3 on 1 Sim Lane. It's still a work in progress:

I hope our plucky mall cop heroes make enough money to live there one day. :swoon: I never had enough patience to make dream homes like that.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
Sadly they're in separate neighborhoods. But don't worry, I intend for the LP house to be much better than this one!

e: I mean when we upgrade it of course!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

oldskool posted:

I used to play The Sims a bit and I've got The Sims 3 now, and I find multiple storey houses just a massive pain in the arse in both of them. The fact that adding a floor means you can't see the entire house all at once is just such a huge disadvantage. It doesn't help that I don't particularly like the house-building part of the game and tend to just use pre-made houses, and most of them have two floors. :argh:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I used to be annoyed with multiple stories, but now I don't care and just keep on adding as many floors and basements as I can. It may have something to do with the elevators they added. So convenient.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
Second stories are a little useful for relatively small houses on relatively small lots, so you wouldn't have to move the camera much when switching back and forth. Ideally though, you'll want enough space, so in The Sims 1 which has the worst path-finding/AI in any of the games in the series, I wouldn't really recommend it. To my surprise, the house I built in the LP is actually a bit bigger than the Goth residence by square feet, and that's a mansion! I didn't really have scale in mind at this point yet, so our little ranch isn't so little after all. Good enough for us I suppose, since even the Goth house is a bit crowded with three people already.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Captain Sheepy posted:

Second stories are a little useful for relatively small houses on relatively small lots, so you wouldn't have to move the camera much when switching back and forth. Ideally though, you'll want enough space, so in The Sims 1 which has the worst path-finding/AI in any of the games in the series, I wouldn't really recommend it. To my surprise, the house I built in the LP is actually a bit bigger than the Goth residence by square feet, and that's a mansion! I didn't really have scale in mind at this point yet, so our little ranch isn't so little after all. Good enough for us I suppose, since even the Goth house is a bit crowded with three people already.

IIRC playing as the Goths was always a bit of a pain because of how cramped their house was.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
The mansion I was building is finished! I'll have an update up on Wednesday I think, but in the meantime, here's some screenshots of the 2nd floor and the back garden:

...and the total cost of the house, with all of the furnishing is...

§334,222! It really makes me how much in bills this house would even get.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I've been playing along this Let's Play with my copy of The Sims Deluxe Edition (which is the base game + the first expansion). I tried to add my copy of Makin Magic to it too, but I can't find the security code. :argh:

Edit: Each attempt at using a googled code ends with the game getting hosed up in increasingly weirder ways. Is there any way of completely uninstalling the game?

mycot fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 3, 2015

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!

mycot posted:

I've been playing along this Let's Play with my copy of The Sims Deluxe Edition (which is the base game + the first expansion). I tried to add my copy of Makin Magic to it too, but I can't find the security code. :argh:

Edit: Each attempt at using a googled code ends with the game getting hosed up in increasingly weirder ways. Is there any way of completely uninstalling the game?

You could attempt a manual uninstall in your computer's registry. Try looking up some instructions first so you know what to look for and what to uninstall, and it's best to back-up your registry beforehand. I had to do this a few times with The Sims 2.

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable
Whenever I played The Sims, every house I started devolved into a garden gnome sweatshop after a few days. If your sim had a bit of technical skill, those gnomes fetched a tidy sum when sold.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh man, lots of nostalgia here. I remember playing this as a kid, I had no idea what I was doing but god I had a lot of fun.

And then I played it as a teenager, and I fully knew how to give people the purest deaths by fire. That was also a lot of fun.

I will definitely be following this, I'm loving that mansion.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Oh gods, so much nostalgia. When I was in eight grade (14 years old,) I gave my best friend a ride on my bike every day after school and we went to her place to play Sims. We took turms decorating a room and creating a sim, (becoming very bored and impatient with the other while they created a sim,) then played together all afternoon until I had to go home in the evening. I also remeber borrowing and loaning copies of the expansion packs, since you only needed a physical copy of the latest expansion you had installed to play the game, which me and like four friends took turns doing, since none of us could afford on their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
:cop: Part 3: poo poo, let's be cops! :cop:

When we last left off, our housemates were on their way to their very first day of work in the Law Enforcement career track as security guards.

"Don't wanna miss our first day."

"Hey, wait up!"

"It's seems pretty cool working for the Mall of SimCity, they're willing to let us ride around in a SCPD squad car!"

"It's pretty lousy having the real thing drive around rent-a-cops every morning. I'm Sergeant Roth and I better not have you two staining my good leather seats."

"C'mon, give us a break."

"I'll tell you what, I'll see about sending a good word in it for ya if you ever plan on entering the SimCity Police Academy. Maybe then you'll know what it's like to be a real cop!"

"Hey, not too shabby! It would also be a great increase in Simoleons! Let's work towards getting promoted right away!"

In The Sims 1, Sims can not own cars, for that was something never bothered to be added until The Sims 2. Instead, we're treated to being carpooled instead. Different jobs in different career tracks have different vehicles to take our Sims to work in. In the Law Enforcement career, we're treated to a squad car immediately and we're not even real cops yet. Most other jobs start off with you being driven around in a rusty old sloppy jalopy, based off of the 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air.

While at work, a Sim's icon with have a symbol of their respective career track placed on it and when all Sims are at work, time automatically fast forwards to Speed 3, before resuming back to it's previous time speed when the Sims return home. Despite having a "At Work" action listed on the top left, it cannot be cancelled and you'll just have to wait until the Sim's work hours are up.

With a full day behind us, we have made our first paycheck: A combined §480!

"Man, it feels great being self sufficient."

"Not to mention, we're just a little bit closer finishing the house. §500 isn't a whole lot to last us in the meantime."

Now that we have made a little income, the first thing we must upgrade is our kitchen. With only a fridge, all we can eat is beans for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Luckily we have enough money for a food processor, which can make salad. It's not as fulfilling in our little Sim tummies as a stove cooked pot roast dinner, but it's better than cold slop.

Now when ever we have a Sim ordered to "Serve Dinner", they will make around five dishes of salad for §20, as with any meal. It has an intermediate level of hunger fulfillment and Sims may need seconds before they'll be fully satisfied.

"Wait 'til you try this new dressing I got at the store. It's delicious."

"Ugh... I could kill for a hamburger right about now..."

Later that night though, we received an unexpected visitor:

Meet El Bandito, the neighborhood raccoon. He is introduced in The Sims: Unleashed expansion and will show up randomly at night to ransack the garbage and try to wake up those who sleep in the night. Not too threatening of an event, though the game will still play the ever so frightening burglar music, making you think something way worse is going to happen. Fortunately, when a burglar shows up, Buy and Build Mode are temporarily disabled, so even without the P.I.P (That is "Picture in Picture") display at the bottom right, we can tell it's just a mangy mammal and not a mischievous ne'er-do-well.

At the same time though, unlike in later games, Sims are not so willing to throw out their good china. Without a sink, our housemates are unable to clean up this mess, therefore we have attracted much more than just the raccoons. Food will go bad overtime, attracting flies, lowing the Room of that... room to absolute zero, which THEN attracts roaches. Our kitchen is out right disgusting. If we had a phone right now, we could call pest control to deal with these sudden vermin problems, but in the meantime we'll have to roll up our sleeves and do it ourselves.

"drat pests. I just want to come home and relax, and not deal with this crap at six in the morning!"

"Ugh, and I had to clean up the food court after some kid vomited all over the taco stand. I'm a security guard, not a janitor god drat it!"

We at least had enough money this time for a sink, so we can now start the clean up operation!

"Eeew, gross, I hate this! How's everything out there, Preston?"

"God, there's so many of 'em! I'm surrounded by these drat things!"

"Tell me about it, these flies are buzzing in my ear!"

Our heroes were successfully able to defeat the vermin menace. Not only that, but we were able to afford them a cheap two-seat couch as well.

Preston had a really low Comfort motive for about a day or so at this point, causing him to whine and fidget about ducking his legs like his knees were about to give in. At least now he's able to relax. Sims are very vocal about their problems, basically asking you to do something about it, as if they weren't already autonomous in their actions, they still need their omnipresent player god to push them in the right direction and hand them objects they can't magic into existence themselves. We still don't have much else to do in our home just yet, so Preston and Caesar will just have to read books (oh, the horror) in the meantime. It's not the most fun thing to do, as they'll never be able to fully increase their fun motive completely by reading alone, but at least it will stop them from going bored completely.

"This is a good book. What's yours about, Caesar?"

"Uh... Well, it's called 'The Point of Pointilism' by Sebastian Humorsbane... Uh... I don't get it."

"A-ha! Well that's your problem right there! Pointilists are fools if they think they can run SimCity with their policies!"

"Oh, uh... sure."

After just two work days, both of our housemates were promoted! Out of the shopping mall and into the SimCity Police Academy! Having two Sims promoted at the same time gives us a nice little bonus in Simoleons that we can save up for our next promotion! We're on the right track now!

"Hot drat! This is rad! We don't have to pay a single Simoleon for our stay at the academy!"

"Yeah, Sgt. Roth was right. Maybe he isn't such a bad guy after all."

As you advance through your respective careers, you will need to raise certain skill levels in order to be eligible for promotion. For Preston and Caesar, they'll need to gain a Body skill of 2 to advance. Clicking the listed skill gives us a hint on how to do so, providing us a picture of our next investment. Also to note is the Job Performance indicated by the weight under our salary. Your job performance at the start of each new job or promotion will be set to "Average" and it will need to increase before you can be promoted. To do so, all you need to do is show up for work in a good mood. Easy right? At the same time however, showing up for work in a really bad mood, or even missing work entirely will decrease it, running the risk of your Sim being fired.

"Aren't you going to work out for the physical exams too?"

"Oh uh... Yeah, I will... Once my show is over. Boy, those Pleasants are quite the dysfunctional family!"

:argh:

The TV that Preston is watching is called the "Monochrome TV" and is the cheapest one available at a small sum of §85. It's a black and white TV that's pretty prone to breaking and because of it's small low resolution screen, Sims will actually stand up and move closer to the TV if it's too far from the couch for them to see. Televisions have a small selection of channels based on genre which do nothing but add flavor to the game. The channels mostly appear as still images on the TV screen, making noises and music that suit the channel. The action channel features a lot of gunshots and screaming, with 70's action buddy cop music playing in the background. This isn't confirmed, but some of the music played on the TV sound a lot like the music from "The Streets of Sim City" to me and I almost swear that it is.

Never the less though, things go great at the academy, both our Sims have leveled up their body skill to their needed requirements... but then:

Only Caesar is promoted.

:sigh:

In the next update: We'll finally paint those walls, at least!

Captain Sheepy fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Mar 12, 2015

• Locked thread