Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yay, a Sims LP! I could never figure out how to get the mechanics of the Superstar EP working, though. Sims 3: Late Night made becoming a celebrity much easier.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

It's inherently kind of interesting seeing a straight LP of The Sims after so many crazy goon houses. Curious to see where this goes. :)

The goon house LPs are good, but yeah, I'm inclined to agree. If I do a Sims 2 or 3 LP in the future, I might do a create-a-town legacy thing. There's just so much you can do with the later games it's not funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
I'm not sure how many of you have heard of this already, but since it's a bit relative to the thread I figured I'd mention that as of today, Electronic Arts has officially shut down Maxis Studios.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Captain Sheepy posted:

I'm not sure how many of you have heard of this already, but since it's a bit relative to the thread I figured I'd mention that as of today, Electronic Arts has officially shut down Maxis Studios.

Fun fact: when I first saw the Lufia 2 thread I read its title as "Maxis dies at the end" and assumed it was a Sims 2 LP.

...Or maybe not a fun fact.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
It's a sad turn of events after it's long history, but Maxis just wasn't the same without the man himself in charge anymore.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Instead he decided that working for Linden Labs and Second Life was a much better idea.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Oh man, the soundtrack :allears:

It's possibly the best in videogame music.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!

Cooked Auto posted:

Instead he decided that working for Linden Labs and Second Life was a much better idea.

Besides that and The Stupid Fun Club, I don't really know what he's doing now. About a year or so ago, he announced a concept for game but nothing really materialized out of that. Not to mention that The Stupid Fun Club is a pretty secretive think tank sort of thing and he hasn't been active on social media. At Linden Labs, he's a member of Board of Directors and I'm not too sure what he actually does there.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
After Will Wright left Maxis, it wasn't the same. I believe he left mostly because of what EA did to Spore, changing it from what it should have been to what it was. EA then took the name of Maxis to throw on SimCity 5 as well as The Sims 4. It was still The Sims Studio working on The Sims 4, just with a new name of 'Maxis'.

EA at least looked to relocate the people effected by the closing of the one studio to find other work within EA. It's much better than handing them a pink slip and saying "we're closing the studio".

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I know it's convenient to blame everything on the big bad EA, but Spore's failures were mainly Wright's own. When other people tried to fix it, they encountered a fundamentally broken product that did nothing right and could be at best a bit polished. Also I hope you aren't trying to lump TS4 together with the SimCity... thing.

The prosaic and probable answer to "what's Wright been doing" is that he earned enough money from The Sims to retire, spend time with his family and only do small projects because they interest him, not because they make profit.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Also I hope you aren't trying to lump TS4 together with the SimCity... thing.

The only things in common with TS4 with SimCity 5 is they both have Sims, they take place in a fictional place, and both were "developed" by Maxis. That's about it.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

steinrokkan posted:

Also I hope you aren't trying to lump TS4 together with the SimCity... thing.

Why not? They only reason TS4 only sucks instead of completely blows is that they dropped the always-online Olympus model after SimCity 5 crashed and burned.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

hopeandjoy posted:

Why not? They only reason TS4 only sucks instead of completely blows is that they dropped the always-online Olympus model after SimCity 5 crashed and burned.

:stonklol:

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

steinrokkan posted:

Oh man, the soundtrack :allears:

It's possibly the best in videogame music.

That's one thing I really miss in sims4, the music is terrible and if you don't buy a stereo and listen to the terrible stations then there's no real in game music at all.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

I know it's convenient to blame everything on the big bad EA, but Spore's failures were mainly Wright's own. When other people tried to fix it, they encountered a fundamentally broken product that did nothing right and could be at best a bit polished.
I like to think it's a combo of Wright wanting to do something like he did in the 90's (SimEarth/Ant/Copter/etc) and exec meddling.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I think the time has come to just recognize what a track record EA has with these things:

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
Part 4: Crime doesn't pay (the bills)

When we last let off, Preston is home alone for the first time. With our two housemates having different jobs, they have separate hours now. No more hopping in the back seat together and working side by side in the meantime.

"It's gonna be tough living here alone by myself as Caesar goes out and be hero... Maybe I'm not cut out for this police stuff."

"Oh right, our first set of bills came in the mail today. §70 doesn't sound so bad."

In The Sims, you will receive bills by mail every few days and the cost depends on how many objects you have in the house. At this point, it's not very many, so we're currently only rocking the double digits in terms of payments while later on, bills tend to be in the low hundreds. Bills always come in white envelopes when you get them, but if bills go unpaid for a while, they will stack with yellow, to red enveloped bills expressing urgency and increase. If you miss too many payments, then the agency will send someone down to repossess some of your possessions! Luckily though, that shouldn't really ever be a problem as we're doing good making our daily bread so far.

With that out of the way, we have plenty enough Simoleons now to afford to decorate our walls and redo some of the flooring. While it isn't stated anywhere in Build Mode, having unfloored rooms or unpainted walls can decrease a Sim's Room motive. Plus the interior looks less ugly and I kind of like the choices I made in designing the foyer, bedroom, and bathrooms. The livingroom would also have a different carpet, but even then I'm unhappy with the look so I'm planning on changing that later.

Next in Caesar's to-do list is this. The mechanical skill is learned the same way as cooking, from reading books, and the skill itself also determines how well you can repair objects without killing yourself, though that's another story for another time. Secondly, he needs to gain one family friend in order to be promoted. Time to get schmoozing! In the meantime though, it's rather sad seeing Preston home alone with not much to do or anyone to call at this hour. Good thing Caesar will be home in about an hour or so.

"Oh hey, you're home!"

"Sorry, no time for chat. I'm tired. Long day."

"Oh." :smith:

"I'm a little worried about Caesar. At the same time, I'm a little too pudgy for cop work. I almost graduated political science back in college, maybe I could just-"

Suddenly though, the phone starts ringing.

"Huh? At this time of night?"

:aaa:

"Who the hell is this?"

The phone hangs up.

:stonklol:

The next morning, Preston returns to the police academy.

"Hey there kid, you have a good mornin'?"

"Oh uh, hey there Sergeant. I'm retaking my final exams today but honestly I'm a bit shaken up."

"Eh, don't worry there too much kid, I was pretty nervous myself when I had to take those. Ya just gotta clear yer head there n' it'll be fine."

"That's not what's worrying me..."

With Caesar home, we can put him to work tuning up his mechanical skill. Heh, "tuning up".

"Huh... so THAT'S how you fix a blue screen of death. Luckily with the new and improved Windows XP™, that should never be a problem!"

He still needs to make a friend however. Luckily with our phone, we could call one of the Goth's later.

"Hey! I did it!"

"Oh hey, did you finally make that pull-up?"

"I did a pull-up and a half!"

:toot:

"and then the professor goes 'that's no hydroxyl ion, that's my wife'!"

"Heh, classic."

Preston and Caesar really seem to be getting along now.

Also, we were able to finish the kitchen with a stove and seating. It's a little bit cramped however. It's recommended to have at least two tiles wide for your Sims to travel. We might have to build out a little in the near future. I've also added lights around the house so we won't be cooking beef stroganoff in the dark.

"I really can't wait to work together again."

"Oh, about that... Usually patrolmen are paired up with a sergeant. We might be carpooling together, but we might not see each other until we get home."

"Oh. Well, in that case, it'll at least be great coming from and going to work together at the very least."

"If anything, I'll try to make sure you have a good first day as I did!"

"Thanks buddy." :unsmith:

I also made the front porch a little bit nicer. We'll be adding a little to that as well.

"Looks like we still have roaches."

"They must've made a nest somewhere outside and been getting in through the windows. At least we don't have an infested kitchen anymore and they're more isolated."

"We'll worry about it when we get home. I honestly can't wait to start my first day!"

"And you were having doubts. Like I said, everything will be fine. SimCity may have a bit of a crime problem, but it's all been smooth sailing lately."

"Yeah, you're right."

"Yeah, besides, what could possibly go wrong?"

In the next update: ...?

Captain Sheepy fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Mar 12, 2015

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The drama is real. :stare:

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You're getting roaches because there are piles of garbage out the front near the trash can. Have one of your Sims clean up those piles and that will eliminate the source of the roach infestations.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!

ScreamingLlama posted:

You're getting roaches because there are piles of garbage out the front near the trash can. Have one of your Sims clean up those piles and that will eliminate the source of the roach infestations.

That was dealt with a long time ago. The trash gets knocked around a bit from time to time and it's something you don't really concern yourself too much with while playing. It's usually when Sims come home from work though when I normally check the holy duality that is the mailbox and trashcan. I think I already established roaches and other vermin in a previous update, so I'm well aware.

edit: I also went back and fixed one of the screenshots. I posted the same one twice instead of another one I wanted.

Captain Sheepy fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 11, 2015

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I'm really enjoying this, it's making me want to play The Sims again. It's the first time I've seen a serious The Sims LP. The interactions between the characters is great and having things about the game explained is pretty neat.

The first game in the series I really played was Bustin' Out on the Xbox. Never got to play the first one much.

Wonder what that weird call that Preston got was all about.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

poo poo never gets that real in TS3. :stare:

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!

Big Scary Owl posted:

I'm really enjoying this, it's making me want to play The Sims again. It's the first time I've seen a serious The Sims LP. The interactions between the characters is great and having things about the game explained is pretty neat.

The first game in the series I really played was Bustin' Out on the Xbox. Never got to play the first one much.

Wonder what that weird call that Preston got was all about.

It's actually a prank call. The game features phone calls from things other than actual Sims at random with different messages and effects. One of them are these prank calls which are the only calls you'll ever receive at night. They're more or less just there designed to scare the player (and it works!) into thinking something bad is going to happen. They used to be accompanied by a image of a laughing theater mask talking on the phone to indicate that it is just a prank, but for whatever reason they removed it in the Complete Collection. Here's what it would normally look like.

Some of them are pretty scary, especially when I was younger. Not going to lie, I remember having some dreams about The Sims when I was a kid that were pretty creepy. This game, as odd as it may sound, has a lot of really creepy or downright scary aspects to it compared to it's sequels, people tend to think I'm joking whenever I say The Sims 1 can be a pretty scary game sometimes!

As for the prank calls themselves, they're all pretty unique and I'll try to show as phone dialogue off as I can.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Shootouts, AND reports of strange packages being dropped? Is this a shocking glimpse into the life of the police of GTA III?

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
Please post instances of other scary things. I remember The Thing That Happens when you hang the clown painting over your bed (granted I'm not scared of clowns at all) but not much else besides that prank call and the terrifying burglar music.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Captain Sheepy posted:

In the next update: ...?

You lost two body points? Which ones?!

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!

KIT HAGS posted:

Please post instances of other scary things. I remember The Thing That Happens when you hang the clown painting over your bed (granted I'm not scared of clowns at all) but not much else besides that prank call and the terrifying burglar music.

There will be no shortages of strange happenings in this LP, I'll guarantee! The Tragic Clown Painting does require some prerequisites before it does The Thing That Happens™ but I'm totally planning on showing that off at some point!

Fister Roboto posted:

You lost two body points? Which ones?!

All of them! He needed two body points to be promoted so quite naturally he had to gain them back as the next level has the same body skill requirement. What happened there is what's called a "chance card" where the only real "chance" is whether or not it will happen when your Sim gets home. It's mostly just extra work thrown in at the random and only a few jobs actually have them. In The Sims 2, about every job has a chance card which gives you an option with a 50/50 chance something either good or bad will happen and they happen way more often. I honestly forgot they were even in this game!

Also, I went ahead and build another house, also in neighborhood 3. This time I just wanted to make a small, cheaper runaway home with a nostalgic vibe. One thing to note is the unbloomed dandelions, when ever you place new flowers, they'll need some time and care before they can grow, so now they probably look pretty weedy. This house is a bit more caustrophobic than I originally planned it to be, but it's more or less meant to look nice with a minimal cost. I'm sure without the furnishing, the house might be in a newly created family's price range. Also that trash bin is badly placed now that I look at it, maybe a trash compactor would look as nice as it would be more... compact. The house itself took a lot less time than the mansion, this I did in all in one sitting in probably not even more than thirty minutes.

I named the house after my plane in MySims SkyHeroes, fittingly enough!

edit: I fixed up the house a bit:

Captain Sheepy fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 13, 2015

Indiiea
Sep 26, 2013
It makes me happy to see a Sims 1 LP! Sims 2 might be my all time favorite but Sims 1 has a certain charm and so many funny little events, like the phone calls. I still think the Superstar and Makin' Magic EPs are the best of their kind in the entire series. I like how you present the LP and seeing you post houses.

The LP made me nostalgic too. Makes me think of when I and my friends at school exchanged paper slips with the cheat codes (rosebud:;:;:;, it was fun seeing how long you could write that) and getting permission to use the wonderful dial-up internet to use a site that literally translated into cheat.com to find the codes in the first place.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Captain Sheepy posted:

This house is a bit more caustrophobic than I originally planned

I think it's supposed to read "cozy" or "convenient".

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
Part 5: Steady Recovery

"I can't believe it. He could've bit it out there and here I was hanging around a donut shop counter all afternoon. Maybe doing that one pull-up wasn't worth it..."

"He was admitted out of the ER pretty quickly before the day got out, but I really doubt he should be doing this stuff anymore. Neither should I."

Preston and Caesar return to work as normal and receive their normal daily paychecks. We're slowly but surely making progress.

"Preston, how much did this phone even cost? You know we're on a budget."

"§111 exactly."

"What? Are you serious? That's a week's worth of meals!"

"It's an antique, I bought it on impulse." :shrug:

"Oh for crying out loud."

Before Caesar can input the number he desires, he gets a call.

"drat telemarketers."

"Who was that?"

"Hmm... I wonder."

Caesar then calls up his neighbor, Bella Goth, to invite her over to our humble home.

The phone is vital to our social survivor, our career climbing campaign. Besides going out in town and meeting new people, this is about our only way of making friends. Some later career tracks may require a large amount of family friends resulting in frequent house parties. We're not exactly near that point yet and for now only require one family friend in order for Caesar to be promoted.

"Thank you kindly for inviting me over for breakfast. This ham is very sweet, the honey glaze is... to die for."

"I know, that's what my Aunt Dakota said! ...Right before she choked on a ham bone and suffocated of course."

"Maybe I'll just have pancakes next time."

After breakfast, Bella seems to be brooding.

"Oh Mortimer my sweet, if only we could spend more time together at our home. Cassandra needs her father more than your work with those unsanitary rat cages... Perhaps she may find true love more so than I ever could."

"You okay? You look like you've seen a ghost."

"Not too uncommon at the Goth residence, I'm afraid."

We seem to be on the right track in befriending Bella Goth more so than her husband, whom works during the day, meaning we won't get to call him up on the phone except for a strict certain time where he is both at home and not in bed. Caesar is also friends with Preston, but being in the same household, he does not count towards being a "family friend", so it won't help him get promoted either, but at least they're getting along in the same house. As for Caesar and Bella, they have quite a few things in common, so this should be a breeze. Soon after, she would return home to her family.

We also upgraded the living room a bit more. It's still pretty ugly, but at least it's recognizable as a room you would want to live in, comparatively. The desk is mostly for show for now as it really only just gives an extra place to sit for studies. The sofa has more seat space while being more comfortable and the new TV is in color and comes with a remote control! Man, is 2001 the time to be alive or what?

With that, our House statistics are looking sharp. Although we have the most convenient layout for the house that I could think of, the actual layout level is lacking for the most part. We also should invest in a garden pretty soon. Sims love flowers and shrubbery and yard work more or less gives idle Sims something to do. Plus, as you can see, our front yard is a bit bare of anything remotely interesting and would really help their Room motive as they venture off to their soul sucking jobs. Not seen here, we also bought a home security device which is nestled in the foyer near the front door as is common placement. It's also possible to place it outside on a 1x1 strip of wall near the end of the sidewalk for maximum effectiveness, though that's almost cheating and is pretty unrealistic.

The next day, we invite Bella to have breakfast with us again, this time bringing her husband, Mortimer Goth.

"My goodness, this is some of the good drat ravioli as they would say!"

"...I ...What?"

"I do believe what my husband is saying is that he finds this meal to be extravagant."

"Well, Preston does most of the cooking around here, but he hasn't been feeling too great lately."

"Such a magnificent couple, to think you can easily compare with the love between me and Bella!"

"...Wait wha-"

With that, we have fulfilled all of Caesar's requirements for his next promotion. You may now notice that the family friend counter the pop-up mentions is in the same box along with our household funds. "Family friends" is pretty literal, as one Sim in our house could be friends with someone else with the other housemates maybe even not have met them ever, and it would still count to their friend requirement for promotions, so you could technically only have one Sim throwing parties and meeting new people while everyone else does their own thing. Ideally though, you would want your Sims to be socializing anyway.

Another thing is that Sims make bad house guests, ironically. Both Preston and Caesar are at work while Bella and Mortimer are still here watching our TV almost 6:30PM in the afternoon. I guess their daughter doesn't need to eat food or anything I guess. They'll practically stay here until they get hungry or just for too long, and they'll leave the drat TV on too. :argh:

With Caesar starting his new job as a Desk Sergeant immediately, what this means is he only has eight hours to sleep before having to go to work again, so he's gonna be leaving the house again as soon as he came. At least there's no dodging bullets involved in filing paperwork, SimCity is a tough place and we've had a belly full of it already.

"Man, what a rough day. I'm glad Caesar got his promotion, but I think it's about time I called it quits. This job is killer."

Some items, usually the cheaper ones, can break down from use. With plumbing, the worst that could happen is a flooded kitchen, which we have Preston working on cleaning. Our mechanical skill is pretty low and Caesar is at work, so instead we'll just sell the sink and replace it for now. Having handy Sims around does save money though.

"Okay, I've settled it. Today, I am finding myself a new job, one that I can excel at as well as Caesar does at his! I can do it!"

"Well, whaddya know! I took political science back at college and the hours aren't too different from Caesar's! This might be where I'll finally shine! Look out world, Preston T. Suffolk is ready to take on anything!"

With our new beginnings ahead of us, we still have much more to do. In the next update, we'll hone our skills and strive to perfect our house just a little bit more!

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Preston does have that politician look about him. I think he is on the right track.

If he gets promoted then we'll have a politician and a cop in the same house. And together, they will fight crime.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!

Big Scary Owl posted:

Preston does have that politician look about him. I think he is on the right track.

If he gets promoted then we'll have a politician and a cop in the same house. And together, they will fight crime.

If I were expecting this coincidental outcome of potential career choices, I would've named this the Tea Party household. Now all we need is to move someone in with us that's a corporate CEO and the dream will be complete!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Aren't the Goths super-wealthy entrepreneurs? Seems like you got the bases covered.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Oh yeah, I remember my one Sim that, uh, didn't rosebud his way to success. Lived in what what basically a 3x5 unfloored container, slept on a chair.

Sims was always more about building a house than actually playing it. Maybe I just don't have the patience for people who can't go to the bathroom themselves.

Another thing: do Sim optimization paths support existence of Broseph Sim or Bored Housewives of SimCity? One does the social thing, the other cleans house and all that jazz.

Ah, and I installed Sims 2 when it was for free (I think) recently. God drat, getting past all the DL... expansion pack notification windows took some time.

Speaking of expansion packs... our childhood was bootleg CDs, all the time. Mostly swapping those, since nobody had too much money. So, the first Sims expansion comes out, and I have some money. I buy it... and it's just Sims 1 with a hamster cage and some other downloadable content.

gently caress.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

JcDent posted:

Another thing: do Sim optimization paths support existence of Broseph Sim or Bored Housewives of SimCity? One does the social thing, the other cleans house and all that jazz.

Do you mean, can you successfully do that? If so, yes. That's how I always used to play, with three or four person households where one made the money, one made the friends, one kept the place clean and cooked the meals.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!

JcDent posted:

Oh yeah, I remember my one Sim that, uh, didn't rosebud his way to success. Lived in what what basically a 3x5 unfloored container, slept on a chair.

Sims was always more about building a house than actually playing it. Maybe I just don't have the patience for people who can't go to the bathroom themselves.

Ah, and I installed Sims 2 when it was for free (I think) recently. God drat, getting past all the DL... expansion pack notification windows took some time.

Speaking of expansion packs... our childhood was bootleg CDs, all the time. Mostly swapping those, since nobody had too much money. So, the first Sims expansion comes out, and I have some money. I buy it... and it's just Sims 1 with a hamster cage and some other downloadable content.

gently caress.

Oh yeah, Sim optimization is totally a thing, especially in the later games when there's more options. You can do about everything in which you suggest and more, especially with Sims being more efficient in certain skill than others. You might have a social butterfly of a Sim with high Nice and Outgoing personality, or a nanny housewive Sim who's Serious and Neat that might have a high cooking skill so they may do all the cooking, or maybe if anything in your house breaks down, you could have the one Sim who is like level 6 in Mechanic. There are quite a lot of ways to do about things and it all depends on the player. The Sims 1 is way more annoying with the EP notification windows as it even adds pointless loading screens on the neighborhood screen and every time you begin playing a new house or edit a community lot, you'll get like five different pop-ups with music jingles.

I kind of liked the Livin' Large expansion for what it was. That was the only expansion pack which Will Wright took a part in designing and was less themed (or rather gimmicky) than later ones. Plus it adds a lot of cool stuff that I can't wait to show off, like the more supernatural objects and the potion bench. Plus the futuristic and medieval Build options are pretty cool too.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Optimization is far bigger in Sims 1 than it was in Sims 2. Since motives didn't drop like rocks in Sims 2, and your Sims actually had days off where they could work on their skills or socialize, you could actually have Sims who had a life besides going home, getting motives up, getting skills up, and then going to bed and waking up to go to work. The only saving grace is later on with Hot Date that a Sim could leave a lot at 8pm, spend 5 hours out getting some motives up and making friends, and return home back at 8pm dead tired and ready to go to bed.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
Sorry I haven't made an update lately, mental health issues and such.

I'll try and post an update sometime this week.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
Part 6: Out on the (Old) Town!

When we last left off, Preston got his dream job as a mindless zombie who feeds on the souls of the helpless, or as we commonly know in English as a "politician". Well, not yet exactly, but we'll get there!

The way both The Sims 1 and 2 describe "Sim City", it almost sounds like an independent city-state in it's own right, not to mention one with it's own military airforce. Top that, Monaco! We also require the increase of Preston's Charisma skill, which admittedly is one of the useless baggage skills in The Sims as it literally does nothing and has no value other than to be there for the sake of being promoted. That's it. It doesn't make us better at socializing or throwing parties, or really anything. Kind of disappointing I will admit.

We can raise our Charisma by making speeches in front of a mirror, a common practice for those in performance arts. We could also use the Shakespeare bookcase to act out plays, but that's silly.

We also recently purchased a checkers game table nestled on the front porch, looking all country and stuff. Playing this, along with the chess table and telescope will raise our Logic skill. Logic has quite a few uses, a lot of them implemented in the expansions, such as magic for example. It's also a group activity!

"Checkers has a lot of symbolism and allegory."

"Are you trying to sound deep right now?"

"No, I mean it! You see, the colors of the pieces very much symbolize the bipartisanship of Sim City. Like the official party colors."

"I thought they were red and blue."

"Well maybe, but if you were colorblind, maybe the red would look yellowish green or... brownish maybe."

"Now who on earth would make puke green or brown their party color?"

"Maybe the Transit Authority because it reminds them of roads, I dunno."

"Huh... must be one of them 'fringe parties'."

Twice in one update! Preston was really made for this job. We do need to befriend some more people however.

One big issue with pets in general, is that the neighborhood cats and dogs just love loitering in the street (as too many do in real life) and what this ultimately does is block cars from driving off, instead they'll honk their horns repeatedly while the animal in question ultimately ignores it. It's annoying as hell.

Luckily however...!

Maybe they should've rethought their pet mechanics before adding in this object. But regardless, this will keep them away. Note though, that pets already on the lot will still loiter a bit before ultimately leaving and pests will ignore signs altogether because they are rebellious bastards.

Despite the fact that no one even owns a car in Old Town, the local auto insurance agency has gave us some dough due to error. Besides prank phone calls during the night, it's also common to sometimes receive these kind of more helpful calls during the day. The game likes to throw a bone at you every now and then. It's nice. :3:

We have quite a lot of money now, so it's time to redecorate!

...Well maybe not with this particular wallpaper. We're redesigning a living space, not a bread bag.

Much better. I also removed on of the doors in the back as it's just wasted space. The back patio is going to be expanded later, so I added more cement tiles. I also made the kitchen look a bit nicer. It still has space issues, but it's at least nicer to look at.

We've also been stir crazy for far too long. I think it's about time we ventured around Old Town, even just for a small bit.

It's also great because Old Town doesn't require cab fair, because Old Town doesn't actually have a taxi service, instead features it's very own free public transportation with vintage shuttles!

While we wait for it to arrive, lets water our new tulips.

One thing I forgot while playing was that when you call a cab/shuttle, the game automatically makes all Sims in the house stop what they're doing immediately and board the shuttle. Caesar was sleeping and had a low Energy motive, but got on anyway. Also he's in his jammies.

Our first stop this update is 75 Maple Street!

The icons above two of the lots indicate places where we can get gardening supplies.

This is The Gothic Quarter, presumably owned by The Goths. It has a coffee shop on the left side, and a variety store on the right.

The graveyard in the back is fake. The gravestones you see here don't actually have any Sims tied to them and are just decorative objects. They can't be found in the Build/Buy menu, and only appear on two community lots. Even when a Sim dies, their existence is still technically forever, albeit still final in The Sims 1. Real gravestones are marked with the deceased Sim's name and ghosts can come out at night, but they don't do a whole lot other than walk around. Later installments on the other hand feature resurrection and more in-depth ghosts of varying types. But this mini cemetery here is nothing but a lie, so we will not dignify it with anymore attention than we already have.

We got to meet the Burb family...

...and bought some carrot seeds! Hopefully, we can start growing some of our own crops later. Each packet gets five seeds total.

Caesar also tried to buy some espresso, but this man doesn't move for anything other than the groove of music.

I'm pretty sure there aren't any rabbits in this game, so we shouldn't worry about installing sniper towers and landmines around our vegetable garden just yet.

We've had enough lollygagging around this joint for now, so in order to return home, we must call the shuttle once again. This time on a payphone. No wonder this place is called "Old Town".

This store right here has small pets for sale, such as birds. There are also candles and other small goodies that we could pack in our Sim's personal inventory. Sadly, it is time for us to go home.

*clunk*

"Unf...mmph"

Looks like Caesar passed out. If a Sim's energy gets too low, they will fall backwards on their skull and doze off on the floor. On the cement too, that can't be comfy. Good thing Sim City has been concussion free for almost thirty years. We'll just wake him up and scoot him to bed. All you need to do is select the passed out Sim, click on them as if you were having them interact with themselves, and "Wake Up" will be an available option.

The next day...

"I'm tired of you buying so much dumb, useless stuff. No more antiques, no more gardening supplies, no more impulse buyin-"

"Alright, alright I get it, you don't have to violate my eardrums with your constant bantering every day."

"I do not!"

"Why do you give me such a hard time? I work just as hard as you and I pay just as much investments into this home as you do. I work hard for my things."

"You haven't even once painted anything on that darn easel you stuck in our bedroom. I'm not letting you turn this house in a hoarders den!"

Uh oh. Looks like they aren't getting along.

Not to mention, just our luck we'd get another roach infestation. It's not garbage this time or dirty toilets. It's our flower garden. Because both our Sims have jobs, they may not have any time in their day to fully be able to water them, as their needs come first. Looks like we're not ready for a garden yet. We could hire a butler to water them for us, but we're not The Goths, we're not made of Simoleons, you know!

Also another thing I forgot to mention, as I didn't even notice it until when I took these screenshots, is that roaches actually made a eerie sound when they first appear. At first I thought I was having auditory hallucinations, but it was in fact the game. It's a sort of nails on a chalkboard sound and it plays whenever a new roach "object" spawns. Speaking of which, roaches actually have a value in Simoleons. When a set of roaches first spawn, they have a value of exactly §0 and can increase up to §460 in over a night, though you need to use certain cheats to be order to delete them and cash them in, and the game labels them as a "Virtual Reality Headset" oddly enough.

Speaking of odd, we get another phone call... who could it be?

"Another warning? What's even up with these 'warnings'? What the hell is going on?"

"Hey, you okay? You look like you've seen a ghost."

"Wha-? Oh no, Bella's fine."

"...What?"

"H-Huh? Oh. Uh, it's nothing."

"It's those weird phone calls, isn't it?"

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Oh. O-okay."

"So uh, how's your new job going by the way?"

"Love it. We raised over §481,000 the past few months alone and we're expected to pass Amendment FGT-945732ZQ Alpha Gamma Yellow, otherwise known as the "Affordable Penquin Act".

"Oh. That's... good?"

"Yup! Really gives me faith in this city. Lemme tell you, I'm proud to be a Sim!"

In the next update: We do naughty things!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Are you feeling okay Captain Sheepy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benjoyce
Aug 3, 2007
Swashbuckler from Meleé island
I really hope everything is all right and you'll be coming back soon to continue with the LP, because I love your writing style and creativity. #endmentalhealthstigma

• Locked thread