Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

If I buy this, am I buying a VOD of the event? Or pre-ordering a DVD? On my phone right now and I don't see any details about what exactly I'd be getting. http://chikarapro.com/events/season-15/12-05-2015_top-banana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

You would be getting the VOD.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Can someone explain which Archie I saw last night? I assume it was the original one from 2011 that got back fisted by Eddie Kingston, right? The one that died was the Parts Unknown Archie?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

DM Punk posted:

Can someone explain which Archie I saw last night? I assume it was the original one from 2011 that got back fisted by Eddie Kingston, right? The one that died was the Parts Unknown Archie?

There's only one Archie. It's completely batshit, but it's a surprisingly competent time travel loop. Here's the timeline:

- Archibald Peck arrives in Chikara in early 2011. His first match is against Eddie Kingston, who hits him with the Backfist to the Future. For whatever reason, it has legitimate time travel properties when used on Archie.

- Archie ends up in late 2015, where he steals the 2015 Chikara Yearbook. That's what we saw last night.

- Archie returns to 2011. He continues like normal and eventually becomes Mixed-Martial Archie. In mid-2012, he and Colt Cabana have a match at Chikarasaurus Rex against the Throwbacks where whoever eats the pin is banned from Chikara. MMArchie takes a nasty bump and is brought backstage. There, he gets in an altercation with Eddie Kingston, who delivers another backfist.

- Archie ends up in the wild west, where he dons the masked identity of the Handsome and Mysterious Stranger. He runs across Buford "Mad Dog" Tannen from Back to the Future 3 and gets backfisted again.

- The Handsome and Mysterious Stranger returns to the present, several months after the events of Chikarasaurus Rex. He wrestles as a face and ultimately embarrasses Mr. Touchdown and Veronica at the end of 2012. He removes his mask and is whisked away by security because he's banned from Chikara for losing his Chikarasaurus Rex match.

- His lawyer, RD Evans, explains the timeline to Wink Vavasseur and points out that Archie can't be banned from Chikara because he technically hasn't been pinned yet. Archie is allowed to return in early 2013. It's pointed out that because of time travel, there are presumably two Archies existing at the same time.

- Archie rises up the ranks and earns a title shot against Eddie Kingston in mid-2013. At the end of the match, he sees a second Archie in the balcony, which distracts him. Eddie delivers a backfist and the lights go out. Archie is gone.

- Archie is sent back in time to mid-2012, backstage at Chikarasaurus Rex. He returns to his tag match and loses. He's banned from Chikara. He then spends months sadly wandering around in his tights ("Where in the World is Archibald Peck?"). He eventually ends up living in a shack in Parts Unknown.

- He knows that something terrible is going to happen and decides to hide in the shadows. He appears during the Archie/Kingston match and sees his younger self getting knocked back in time. He's also there for when Chikara is destroyed. He returns to his shack.

- 3.0 go on a journey to find him, but due to the way time moves in Parts Unknown, they will be too late to stop the Flood from destroying what's left of Chikara at National Pro Wrestling Day 2014. Archie then builds a flux capacitor and they arrive in time in a Delorean.

- Chikara starts anew in mid-2014 and Archie is reinstated. He is eventually murdered by Deucalion.

So I guess Archie will be around for a bit these days until Eddie Kingston can knock him back into 2011. Continuity! *goes cross-eyed*

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

DM Punk posted:

The one that was killed was Wandering/Parts Unknown Archie, yes.

It is the one that got backfisted in 2011, yes.

But given how the time line has been hosed with so far thanks to Archie's time travelling, he may not be from our original timeline, if "Back to the Future" alternate timeline rules apply.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
How well do they explain storylines at the shows?
I want to take my dad to National Pro Wrestling Day next year and want to make sure we won't be lost.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Man, I know Quack is obsessed with long-term storylines, but loving hell :psyboom:.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Gavok posted:

There's only one Archie. It's completely batshit, but it's a surprisingly competent time travel loop. Here's the timeline:

- Archibald Peck arrives in Chikara in early 2011. His first match is against Eddie Kingston, who hits him with the Backfist to the Future. For whatever reason, it has legitimate time travel properties when used on Archie.

- Archie ends up in late 2015, where he steals the 2015 Chikara Yearbook. That's what we saw last night.

- Archie returns to 2011. He continues like normal and eventually becomes Mixed-Martial Archie. In mid-2012, he and Colt Cabana have a match at Chikarasaurus Rex against the Throwbacks where whoever eats the pin is banned from Chikara. MMArchie takes a nasty bump and is brought backstage. There, he gets in an altercation with Eddie Kingston, who delivers another backfist.

- Archie ends up in the wild west, where he dons the masked identity of the Handsome and Mysterious Stranger. He runs across Buford "Mad Dog" Tannen from Back to the Future 3 and gets backfisted again.

- The Handsome and Mysterious Stranger returns to the present, several months after the events of Chikarasaurus Rex. He wrestles as a face and ultimately embarrasses Mr. Touchdown and Veronica at the end of 2012. He removes his mask and is whisked away by security because he's banned from Chikara for losing his Chikarasaurus Rex match.

- His lawyer, RD Evans, explains the timeline to Wink Vavasseur and points out that Archie can't be banned from Chikara because he technically hasn't been pinned yet. Archie is allowed to return in early 2013. It's pointed out that because of time travel, there are presumably two Archies existing at the same time.

- Archie rises up the ranks and earns a title shot against Eddie Kingston in mid-2013. At the end of the match, he sees a second Archie in the balcony, which distracts him. Eddie delivers a backfist and the lights go out. Archie is gone.

- Archie is sent back in time to mid-2012, backstage at Chikarasaurus Rex. He returns to his tag match and loses. He's banned from Chikara. He then spends months sadly wandering around in his tights ("Where in the World is Archibald Peck?"). He eventually ends up living in a shack in Parts Unknown.

- He knows that something terrible is going to happen and decides to hide in the shadows. He appears during the Archie/Kingston match and sees his younger self getting knocked back in time. He's also there for when Chikara is destroyed. He returns to his shack.

- 3.0 go on a journey to find him, but due to the way time moves in Parts Unknown, they will be too late to stop the Flood from destroying what's left of Chikara at National Pro Wrestling Day 2014. Archie then builds a flux capacitor and they arrive in time in a Delorean.

- Chikara starts anew in mid-2014 and Archie is reinstated. He is eventually murdered by Deucalion.

So I guess Archie will be around for a bit these days until Eddie Kingston can knock him back into 2011. Continuity! *goes cross-eyed*

This is the best thing since the Loser Leaves the Present match

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
So, it's destined for Archie to get back fisted by someone so he can travel back in time, right?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Gavok posted:

You would be getting the VOD.

Thanks! How long does it usually take for the full show to become available?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

I want to take my dad to National Pro Wrestling Day next year and want to make sure we won't be lost.

9 out of 10 times, the story stuff is easy to follow when you're there. At the end of the day, it's still wrestling. It's the occasional long-winded stories like Archie's time travel, Death of Chikara or Chikarametrics where you needed to have someone explain it.

You should be fine regardless because outside of the final minutes of the 2014 show, NPWD tends to be really low on story. This year's show had virtually nothing to do with the rest of the season outside of giving us the origin of Crown and Court.

Phenix Rising posted:

Thanks! How long does it usually take for the full show to become available?

Usually a couple weeks, but I imagine they're going to release it sooner than later because of its importance.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
CHIKARA is cool cause on the surface is still good guy vs bad guy and the general story is simple, but if you wanna really sink your teeth into it, there's a ton of little details to follow and invest into. CHIKARA is pretty unique in that aspect.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
So when does Archie get backfisted to the time where he debuts?

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

KungFu Grip posted:

So when does Archie get backfisted to the time where he debuts?

I imagine that's going to be a harsh storyline. Eddie Kingston is a cruel man, but it is now known that he has to backfist him....and to do so will ultimately lead to his death.

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

They also used to have 1 or 2 people who would go over the storylines before the show for people who weren't in the know, if he really wants to. But honestly, watch good guy vs bad guy.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I don't have much to add to the Top Banana commentary, but my wife and I had a pretty great time and it was probably the best of the four Chikara shows I've seen despite not having any big outside talent and missing some big former talent. Shynron's outside the ring handstand on the ropes to under the rope leg sweep was super neat and I'm surprised no one has ripped it off elsewhere yet. I'm always impressed at Ophidian's agility and the Frightmare/Silver Ant match was pretty great. Love Fightmare's new(ish) gear. Spot of the night was the seven (or eight?) way submission during the Gentleman's Club/Batiri match (or maybe Fire Ant's traditional pillar dive) and I'm glad Ultramantis showed up even though he's out of action. He told me he was planning to come back "whatever it takes" but I'm not sure how likely that is given other things he's said in the past.

Despite not following this season at all, I still managed to get pretty emotionally caught up in all three of the post-intermission matches, which probably says something good about the booking. Glad to have caught a show at such a historically important wrestling venue and to have accurately predicted the hard cam side for tickets, less glad to have been surrounded by bitter, cynical jerks in my section of the crowd. Also glad I didn't get stabbed walking from the venue back to the Broad street line. Oh, and Max Smashmaster made fun of me for looking like Bryce Remsberg. I could do worse, I guess.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I forgot to mention the most important thing: at the charity mini-golf event, I challenged Jakob Hammermeier to a game of Wrestlefest. His Jake Roberts/Ted Dibiase team unfortunately took down my Earthquake/Slaughter team, but drat it, it was close.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Wazzu posted:

I imagine that's going to be a harsh storyline. Eddie Kingston is a cruel man, but it is now known that he has to backfist him....and to do so will ultimately lead to his death.

A feud where Kingston refuses to backfist him back to the past as the timeline starts to fall apart would be pretty good. It could end with a match where if Peck wins, Kingston must backfist him.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rhonne posted:

A feud where Kingston refuses to backfist him back to the past as the timeline starts to fall apart would be pretty good. It could end with a match where if Peck wins, Kingston must backfist him.

Icarus does an in-ring interview where he asks Kingston to set things right, but he refuses. To prove his point, Icarus shows how the timestream has been affected by removing his shirt and revealing a terrible tattoo on his chest to go with the one on his back. Kingston still won't listen and walks off.

After that is a tag match where Moscow the Communist Bovine and assailANT defend the belts against the Badd Boyz.

Diddums
Jan 31, 2014
Advertised main event for that show -
Hero/Castagnoli/Brodie Lee vs Quack/Skayde/Punk.

Then reality snaps back, and everyone carries on like normal.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I sat in front of the bachelor party that went to the show. They were definitely there ironically but by the intermission I could tell the show was winning them over. Evidently it wasn't winning them over enough because they did not come back for the last three matches.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Bloody. loving. Brilliant. Something only the crazy minds at CHIKARA could conjure up...

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

yea ok posted:

Bloody. loving. Brilliant. Something only the crazy minds at CHIKARA could conjure up...

Thumbs up, dude.

Going back to Phenix Rising's question again, they claim they're trying to get Top Banana up sometime this week.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Has the Shard done anything elsewhere since the Chikara shutdown? He seemed like the most promising Gekido guy.

Also, we got free beer at Strangelove's in Philly last night because my wife was wearing a Chikara hoodie and I spent some time talking wrestling with our waiter. Surprising perks of being a wrestle nerd!

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Has the Shard done anything elsewhere since the Chikara shutdown? He seemed like the most promising Gekido guy.

Also, we got free beer at Strangelove's in Philly last night because my wife was wearing a Chikara hoodie and I spent some time talking wrestling with our waiter. Surprising perks of being a wrestle nerd!

The Shard is John Silver of The Beaver Boys. He's doing all right for himself.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Shard came back as part of Gekido (along with 17 and Jigsaw) when Chikara came back. The Pieces of Hate lost the tag titles to the Throwbacks not too long into the season, and then after Jigsaw left, Shard was executed by Deucalion both for losing the match and because 17 turned on Deucalion and stopped him from killing Frightmare.

So Shard's dead. Then again, so were Kobald, ThunderFrog, and Archibald Peck, and all three of them are back, due to necromancy, reincarnation, and time travel.

There's an epilogue at the end of "Top Banana" showing FarmerFrog picking up the Hammer of Peace and turning back into ThunderFrog.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Did 17 being a double agent ever lead to anything?

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Rhonne posted:

Did 17 being a double agent ever lead to anything?

We don't even know for sure if he was a double agent. They certainly hinted at it, but nothing ever really came out of the shot during "The Ashes of Chikara" when 17 gets dragged through a curtain by a cane.

Kid Cyclone (now Kevin Condron Snowflake) and the Greenhorns went after him for him killing Private Eye Jr. at NPWD 2014, but he didn't fight back.

When Deucalion tried to set Frightmare up for the Chokebreaker, 17 jumped in the ring and hit him with a Shotei Palm Strike, then bailed out of the ring and ran off backstage, leaving Shard to get pinned by Frightmare. Then Deucalion killed Shard for it. When Volgar and Jimmy Jacobs went backstage afterward, they found 17's gear discarded backstage by the exit. We've heard nothing about 17 since then.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

It's weird how Ashes of Chikara and the whole Flood feud set up these open plot threads and Season 15 didn't touch a single one.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I'm watching Top Banana (I think only my second show of 2015 after KOT), can someone catch me up on what's going on with Archie? I can't remember anything about this time travel business somehow.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Gavok's got you covered:

Gavok posted:

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Oh Quack, you silly goose. Yeah I remember watching most of that now.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Dec 10, 2015

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

So Rolling Stone interviewed Kimber Lee about winning the Grand Championship.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Is she actually good in the ring? As I said, I haven't watched more than two shows this year so the ending didn't do much for me. I like that they didn't end a season with the formation of Yet Another Giant Rudo Group though.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Illinois Smith posted:

Is she actually good in the ring? As I said, I haven't watched more than two shows this year so the ending didn't do much for me. I like that they didn't end a season with the formation of Yet Another Giant Rudo Group though.

She's good from what I've seen. It's just that for the first half of the year (which is mostly what I've watched) her matches had a lot of "I'm not going to fight a girl--OH NO WHY DID I UNDERESTIMATE HER?!" booking that distracts from her actual ring work.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I guess it's a thin line there, her throwing around all the DevCorp monsters at the end seemed like a bit much.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

They've announced another UK tour in May, yaaay!

Does mean I have to go to Newport though, boooo

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
There's a free sampler over at http://chikarapro.com/ to stream/download today.

Matches Include:
1. Devastation Corporation vs Princess Kimber Lee & Los Ice Cream (Justice is Blind)
2.Mark Andrews vs Shynron (King of Trios Night 3)0
3. Oleg the Usurper vs Dasher Hatfield (Live at First Energy Stadium) *Note there seems to be a glitch in the streaming version of this. You can download the correct version of the match.
4.Eddie Kingston vs Jaka (Sword of Destiny)
5. Amasis vs Juan Fransico De Coranado (Spring Breakout)
6.The Gentlemen's Club vs The Batiri (Top Banana)

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Main event of the Season 16 Premiere evening show has been announced.

Princess Kimber Lee makes her first defense of the Grand Championship against Oleg the Usurper.

ETA: And the main event of the Premiere afternoon show has been announced as well.

N_R_G defend the Campeonatos de Parejas against the Nightmare Warriors.

Jay 2K Winger fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 30, 2015

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Main event of NPWD has been announced.

Kimber Lee vs Mickie James. Kiryoku Pro lives!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Results out of Chikara's Season 16 opening shows today.

Vladimir Radinov is the ring announcer going forward, it would seem. I have zero problems with this. Icarus injured his arm in training and had his arm in a sling.

Chikara returns to Canada with a show in Toronto in July. Tickets on sale tomorrow.

Afternoon show "Days of the Phoenix"
Wrestle Factory, Philadelphia, PA

1. Proletariat Boar of Moldova def. Arctic Rescue Ant. Match was almost all Boar. ARA started to rally, but he got caught by a Boar Gore off a springboard to give the Boar the win.

Before the next match, Quack came out and brought out Princess Kimber Lee to celebrate her COTI win last year by having her team's championship banner raised in the building.

2. Hermit Crab & Rock Lobster def. Ryan Lewis & Ben Macklemore. Lobster is a newly debuting WF student. The Crab People won after Lobster hit a fireman's carry move and Crab hit a Gran Naniwa Elbow.

Before the next match, Jakob Hammermeier & Pinkie Sanchez came out and introduced Jaka as the newest member of the BDK.

3. Jaka (w/ Jakob & Pinkie) def. Amasis. Shenanigans teased but not actually achieved by BDK, before Pinkie ended up getting tope'd into the second row. Jaka got a clean win off a Jungle Splash.

4. Magic Move Match (Clothesline over the top rope) - United Nations (Juan Francisco de Coronado & Prakash Sabar) def. Dasher's Dugout (Dasher Hatfield & Heidi Lovelace). The Boar came out and tripped up Heidi at one point, prompting Icarus to come out as well. Icarus got dropped on his bad arm, distracting things. Coronado tried to use his Ecuadorian flag as a weapon, prompting Mr. Touchdown to come out to stop him. Coronado then threw the flag to him and got Dasher and Bryce to turn around to see it. Dasher yelled at Touchdown over it, leaving him open for a low-blow and a rollup to give the United Nations the win.

5. Soldier Ant def. Jakob Hammermeier. Jakob tried to get an early win by hitting his KO Punch, but Soldier kicked out. Soldier is still as resilient as he was when he was brainwashed. Pinkie Sanchez, wearing facepaint, came out and lurked at ringside, but when he tried to interfere, he got KTFO'd. Soldier won with the Trench Slam. He now has 3 points for Grand Championship contention.

6. Best of 3 Falls for the Campeonatos de Parejas - N_R_G (Race Jaxon & Hype Rockwell) def. The Nightmare Warriors (Hallowicked & Frightmare) 2-1 to retain the titles. Frightmare has his own horned skull helmet now. Jaxon was the face in peril throughout the match, and ate a Never Wake Up from Wicked to give NW the first fall. Jaxon eventually managed a roll up to score the second fall for NRG. Jaxon made the hot tag to Rockwell, who cleaned house. Rockwell eventually hit a huge Hyper Wheel on Frightmare to give NRG the win.

Post-match, Los Ice Creams came out with their Golden Opportunity medals, looking to cash in, but chickened out and ran away.

Evening show "5 Senses"

1. Icarus Kobald def. Pinkie Sanchez. Kobald was subbing in for the injured Icarus. Pinkie was in rare form tonight. Kobald hit the Demon's Toilet for the win.

Before the next match, they did a "selfie party" where a bunch of the tecnicos came out to take selfies with the fans.

2. Los Ice Creams vs Adam Ward & Burt West ended in disqualification. Ward & West are just a couple of jobbers. Only a few minutes in, Devastation Corporation hit the ring and attacked Los Ice Creams, laying them out with big moves, like the Death Blow and the Master Blaster. They eventually walked off when Princess Kimber Lee came out to confront them.

3. Wani def. Mr. Touchdown. Touchdown was clearly expecting Dasher to show up during his entrance and got all sadface about it. During the match, Juan Francisco de Coronado came out to offer his Ecuadorian flag as a weapon, which Touchdown refused. Wani got a lot of offense in and was made to look like a threat. Coronado tried to grab Touchdown's leg when he was on the top rope and got kicked off. Touchdown then went for a flying splash and hit the knees. Wani finished him off with a running neckbreaker. Coronado gloated over Touchdown after the match.

Before intermission, Vlad Radinov teased us, asking "Have you heard of something called King of Trios?" When we all said yes, he said, "Good! So have I. Have good intermission!" and walked to the back.

4. Magic Move Match (Alabama Slam) - Battleborn (Lucas Calhoun & Missile Assault Man) def. The Batiri (Obariyon & Kodama). MAM went on the attack before the bell. Calhoun didn't approve, until MAM counted off on his fingers and said, "Missile. Assault. Man." This seemed to convince Calhoun, who dropped his complaints. The Batiri eventually hit the magic move with an Alabama Slam into a kneelift, but Obariyon's knee had been the focus of the rudos' offense, and only made it worse. MAM locked Obariyon into a Scorpion Deathlock for the tapout victory. Battleborn now have 3 points for Campeonatos de Parejas contention.

5. The Colony (Fire Ant, Silver Ant, Worker Ant) def. The Snake Pit (Ophidian, Shynron, Argus) in the MOTN. Argus got to show that he is a rising star, getting a lot of action in. Everyone got to bust out some crazy stuff. (Shynron handspringed out of a Tornado DDT that got the whole building freaking out.) The Colony hit the Ant Hill on Shynron for the win.

Post-match, the Colony called Argus back into the ring, and shook his hand.

6. Grand Championship of Chikara - Princess Kimber Lee (c) vs Oleg the Usurper went to a double disqualification. Oleg had the obvious size and power advantage, but Princess would not stay down. She was setting him up for the Chikara Special when Ice Cream Jr. came out and kicked her off, then unmasked to reveal it was Blaster McMassive. The rest of Devastation Corporation hit the ring and laid out both of them. Max Smashmaster got on mic and said that although Oleg tore up his contract, it doesn't make it not valid. Then he told Kimber Lee he wasn't coming for her belt, he was coming for her life. Bryce Remsburg could not get Dev Corp to back down, but when ref Larry Peace came out, Dev Corp finally walked off.

7. Encore Match - Heidi Lovelace def. Juan Francisco de Coronado. The fans demanded "one more match" after the main event ended in that double DQ. It was a short match. When Coronado tried to use his flag as a weapon, the ref took it away. Coronado went for a low-blow on Heidi, which didn't work. Heidi hit the Heidi-can-rana for the win, then draped Coronado's flag on top of him.

• Locked thread