Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

what everyone wants: new macbook air
what it will be: revealing the hideously expensive pricing for the fruitwatch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the gold one will be very, very expensive, the cheapest men's gold rolex is like 30k

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

people will put diamonds on anything

[without all the junk that's a $50 watch]

qirex fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 27, 2015

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Beast of Bourbon posted:

a week! only a week left before the first watch with a digital crown is released!

this is false, the casio "smart access" system used in their g-shock, edifice and oceanus watches has existed for years

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Beast of Bourbon posted:

yeah but apple is doing it for the first time, like they did with ultrabooks [term made up by intel specifically because of the macbook air], [fingerprint-enabled one-time code] NFC payment systems , wireless mice [got nothing here, their mice suck] and high resolution displays [with an OS that scales properly].
that said wheel interfaces are good for small stuff, apple knew this with the ipod but seemingly forgot for a while

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

that's the old busted store the new hotness is coming up on post street in a couple years

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

swarovski crystals are the gauche-iest thing

guess who has a smartphone partnership with them?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Stymie posted:

apple?

it's apple, right?

tim couldn't say no to those sweet, sweet accessory dollars

sorry to disappoint but it's samsung

only $150 of your earth dollars [was $250 whe it came out so it's a bargain]

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

an ounce [28g or about 1.6 cubic centimeters] of gold in bar form is $1200

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

infernal machines posted:

do you really think they're going to make any of them out of solid gold instead of just electroplating?
http://www.apple.com/watch/apple-watch-edition/
"Each has a watch case crafted from 18-karat gold that our metallurgists have developed to be up to twice as hard as standard gold. "

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

that said I bet there's going to be a fair aftermarket for plating them

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I don't see why that's so farfetched, if they were just plating it I doubt they'd even bother with a separate line for the edition since it would add approximately zero dollars to the price

e: also that steel link band is going to cost several hundred dollars on its own

watches be expensive, yo

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

i'm not arguing the cost, i'm saying i don't see why it would matter if it were solid gold rather than electroplated given that it's a hideous design and tacky looking as all hell. is "solid gold" versus "gold" really a differentiating factor for the armani-exchange wearing, 3 series bmw owning wannabies that are going to rush out to buy this thing?

no because if those are the people you want you plate it and charge $100 more, not make out out of solid gold and charge thousands more, the thing I'm curious about is if there's an upgrade path since the swiss brands are really good at selling "and you can give it to your grandson" type longevity feelings around mechanical watches [ignoring the fact that in 50 years getting mechanical watches serviced will be ruinously expensive]

there's a reason there isn't a gold-plated normal version

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

this is an apple product, you already know the answer to that

the upgrade path is "buy a new one and sell your old one to poors on craigslist or give it to your kids as a toy"

that works for $500 telephones but the market for watches over a couple grand is pretty firmly in "heirloom" territory

given that this is going to be the worst apple watch they ever make why would anyone besides russian gangsters and idle rich emiratis buy the first one?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

really expensive watches are also one of the primary bribery delivery mechanisms, since the chinese government has started cracking down on gift-giving swiss sales there are off like 20%

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm definitely not saying it will be user-upgradeable just that there could at least be some kind of trade-in deal

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

maniacdevnull posted:

can't wait to see my local mall look like something out of mad max and thieves sawing off arms to steal iwatches

in the last months 5 stores in SF including 3 high-end audio stores have been ram-raided, I don't see this helping with that

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if I was going to drop $10k on a watch I'd get something unique like a jlc master calendar meteorite

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

do you know what time it is

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

"the Apple Watch doesn't fit under my shirt cuff without serious effort, if at all"
-the guy who took that RICO'S LUNCH picture

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if only there were ways to show a second time zone or an alarm without text, maybe some kind of pointy.... thing connected where the hands are

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

which rolex because the deepsea is like 18mm thick

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

i still don't get why they're so fixated on this as a luxury product. the iphone and ipad were never "luxury" products per se, they were just best in class products that the wealthy decided to buy because they were the best

even if some revolutionary new usecase appears out of the aether and there becomes and actual point to owning a smart watch, the iwatch could comfortably be the best in class smartwach without trying to compete with rolex and omega

I'm not sure either, all this early access in fashion magazines and stuff is confusing if it's good it will become fashionable; trying to make it so before it's out seems pretty lame

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

only 2% of swiss watches sold in 2012 were made of precious metals

swiss companies make money by selling a 60-year-old movement design in a steel case for $10,000 and rolex sold 800,000 watches last year

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rolex will probably be the last to get dumpstered, the parts of the market apple is threatening are in the $400-1000 range I'm not sure why you're cremnobbing on this so hard because you're dead wrong about rolex in particular

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm still holding out hope for a space grey retina macbooks air

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

theflyingexecutive posted:

too bad apple couldnt solve the arm hair problem and deliver any of the unique health features they promised months ago

they promised step tracking which it has and a pulse meter and it has one*, the rest of that "oh they had to drop functionality" was idiots trying to make a story, the feature set for the thing was probably set close to a year ago

*wrist pulse meters aren't very good

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Wild EEPROM posted:

it's a rolex 3135 movement.

it's not well finished but it is reliable and accurate and durable

for values of "accurate" worse than the cheapest quartz watch ever made

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

theflyingexecutive posted:

step trackers and pulse monitors already exist

yes and because they exist they are built-in to the new apple watch, this story that they promised anything beyond that is false

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

spring drive is super cool and if omega had invented it instead of seiko they'd be a lot more popular

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

uncurable mlady posted:

there wasn't really a market for smartphones outside of professionals pre-iPhone. the Apple watch may be good enough as a watch and as a smart watch to really grow the market outside of nerdos that would wear an android or pebble

the thing is that everyone had and knew the value of a mobile phone in the first place, whereas fewer people are wearing watches over time

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

a rumored off the record comment from an unnamed source is a prophecy of literal fact for all time

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if I had gently caress you money I'd buy a SBGE-001 or 011, I like the GMT complication

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

second time zone

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

much like cell phones were 10 years ago medicine is a huge entrenched industry full of lovely verticals and if apple can get a toehold it could be a neverending money fountain

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Flyndre posted:

1 port is good enough, wtf do people even plug into their macs? The only thing I've pluged into my mac the past 2 years is my ipad or iphone to charge them

we don't have wifi so when people come in to interview they usually need both an ethernet adaptor and vga adaptor

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

is core m good or is it some atom poo poo

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

no lightup apple wtf is this trash, tim?

this is 100% a good thing the lightup apple is super tacky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Stymie posted:

also don't forget that apple is basically telling lefties that the iwatch isn't for them

it works the other way around

• Locked thread