Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

that was actually the best possible propaganda for net neutrality proponents and its been going around forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

cremnob posted:

that was actually the best possible propaganda for net neutrality proponents and its been going around forever

like literally that image is older than facebook

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
also to be clear i oppose net neutrality not because it is in itself a bad idea it's just imposing arbitrary limits on isps and maintaining a flawed system

isps should be forcibly nationalized, along with most other industries

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

SYSV Fanfic posted:

wtf shaggar. Please explain how this is remotely possible in markets with competition?

prior to net neut there were incentives to expand networks even if you are serving areas you dominate. your national network (net neut only affects backhaul and has no effect on last mile) benefits greatly from having many paths for sending traffic so you can optimize your bandwidth costs. Being able to negotiate with a heavy usage provider like Netflix makes those upgrades well worth while.

post net neut theres no reason to do it. theres no reason to peer with Netflix if netflix doesn't have to pay their share.

There is, however, a huge incentive to then bring the content that netflix serves inside your network so you dont have to go to netflix to get it. These guys will go direct to the content owners and start building out their own cable-like private content networks. since the contract for the content is between the content owner and the isp, and not the ISP and another network, theres no threat of hosed up net neut regulations. The content owners then realize that its a way better deal to sell the content over and over to each ISP instead of selling just to netflix. They can also work with these ISPs to start bundling content so it cant be bought in its entirety or a la carte

netflix then cant compete because they cant acquire content anyone wants. ISPS who were stupid enough to expand their networks after net neut instead of playing it safe with internal networks go out of business because no one wants service that doesn't have the content consumers want. at this point the internet is mostly dead.

the Content owners then force the ISPs to tier the content and cause you cant get it anywhere else you pay for it.

net neut is taking us back to cable tv.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
xfinity was basically Comcast hedging against the threat of net neut and they're gonna make out ok because of it.

consumers are gonna get screwed, tho.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SYSV Fanfic posted:

wtf shaggar. Please explain how this is remotely possible in markets with competition?

or even without competition, really.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Stymie posted:

also to be clear i oppose net neutrality not because it is in itself a bad idea it's just imposing arbitrary limits on isps and maintaining a flawed system

isps should be forcibly nationalized, along with most other industries

this may or may not end up as a stealth nationalization so :shrug:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
nationalization would be the best way to destroy the internet

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Shaggar posted:

prior to net neut there were incentives to expand networks even if you are serving areas you dominate. your national network (net neut only affects backhaul and has no effect on last mile) benefits greatly from having many paths for sending traffic so you can optimize your bandwidth costs. Being able to negotiate with a heavy usage provider like Netflix makes those upgrades well worth while.

post net neut theres no reason to do it. theres no reason to peer with Netflix if netflix doesn't have to pay their share.

There is, however, a huge incentive to then bring the content that netflix serves inside your network so you dont have to go to netflix to get it. These guys will go direct to the content owners and start building out their own cable-like private content networks. since the contract for the content is between the content owner and the isp, and not the ISP and another network, theres no threat of hosed up net neut regulations. The content owners then realize that its a way better deal to sell the content over and over to each ISP instead of selling just to netflix. They can also work with these ISPs to start bundling content so it cant be bought in its entirety or a la carte

netflix then cant compete because they cant acquire content anyone wants. ISPS who were stupid enough to expand their networks after net neut instead of playing it safe with internal networks go out of business because no one wants service that doesn't have the content consumers want. at this point the internet is mostly dead.

the Content owners then force the ISPs to tier the content and cause you cant get it anywhere else you pay for it.

I still can[t work this out. ISPs are not going to make their own steams, their own twitters, their own gmails. People will want access to what the other services have. The larger a user base, the better the content. I can't imagine a comcast competitor with SA or Reddit. Its the reason the original dial up services connected to the internet in 1993.

Uverse already does exactly this and they dreamt it up in 2003.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Shaggar posted:

nationalization would be the best way to destroy the internet

I agree. I'd prefer to see a lot more competition though.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I mean, all netflix has done up to this point was use a disruptive method to broadcast other people's content.

It was hardly ground breaking. People had been doing the same thing with youtube, just illegally.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I still can[t work this out. ISPs are not going to make their own steams, their own twitters, their own gmails. People will want access to what the other services have. The larger a user base, the better the content. I can't imagine a comcast competitor with SA or Reddit. Its the reason the original dial up services connected to the internet in 1993.

Uverse already does exactly this and they dreamt it up in 2003.

twitter and gmail aren't relevant to any of this cause no one cares or would even notice if they never upgrade their networks.

the most valuable content is also the bandwidth intensive content. pre-net neut ISPs were happy just being networks and serving that valued content through Netflix. post net neut that kind of business wont be viable so they will abandon it and try to bring the content in-network directly from the owners. xfinity is exactly this. its content delivered directly from the content owners to the ISP customers without a Netflix middleman.

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I agree. I'd prefer to see a lot more competition though.

well then you don't want title II regulation. you want something that will encourage new network expansion.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Shaggar posted:

because online content is limited to streaming video.

anyway ISPs tried the private services thing but produced poo poo and without the ability to lock out competition their private services can't survive. every cable company out there has their own landing page, Web search portal, and video on demand service. nobody uses them because they blow.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I mean, all netflix has done up to this point was use a disruptive method to broadcast other people's content.

It was hardly ground breaking. People had been doing the same thing with youtube, just illegally.

what Netflix did was convince the content owners that streaming could be viable. that was the hard part. the ISPs were more than happy to help them upgrade networks to get that content to their customers, but now that's all up in the air. now that streaming is no longer a dirty word, its worth it to ISPs to look to them for future revenue in the absence of new networking revenue.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

because online content is limited to streaming video.

anyway ISPs tried the private services thing but produced poo poo and without the ability to lock out competition their private services can't survive. every cable company out there has their own landing page, Web search portal, and video on demand service. nobody uses them because they blow.

you wont have a choice in the future after net neut destroys all your pipes to the rest of the internet.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

computer parts posted:

like literally that image is older than facebook
like literally that image includes the facebook logo

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Shaggar posted:

you wont have a choice in the future after net neut destroys all your pipes to the rest of the internet.

But they have to maintain and grow their pipes to keep their customer base in the presence of competition.. Unless there is no competition. At which point they should be regulated with an iron fist of regulation.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sham bam bamina! posted:

like literally that image includes the facebook logo

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
how many of these thiungs are out there

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Shaggar posted:

what Netflix did was convince the content owners that streaming could be viable. that was the hard part. the ISPs were more than happy to help them upgrade networks to get that content to their customers, but now that's all up in the air. now that streaming is no longer a dirty word, its worth it to ISPs to look to them for future revenue in the absence of new networking revenue.

I don't understand. I thought the problem with netflix was the ISPs wanted to leverage their local duopolies to squeeze money from netflix. This was to protect their traditional businesses from cord cutting. The outcry was if they could do it to netflix, then they could do it to any new usage of the internet to squeeze a little more money.

Nothing was stopping them from making a streaming service that competed directly with netflix. That would have been the non duopoly thing to do. Instead they used their complete control to attempt to render netflix less competitive.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
oh, deliberately refusing to upgrade their peering is a flex of that last mile power.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I don't understand. I thought the problem with netflix was the ISPs wanted to leverage their local duopolies to squeeze money from netflix.

no

netflix thought they could leverage their customer base to be able to pay slightly less money

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

SYSV Fanfic posted:

oh, deliberately refusing to upgrade their peering is a flex of that last mile power.

basically

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

someone tally up the yospossers pro & con so i can know who to consider retarded

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Snapchat A Titty posted:

someone tally up the yospossers pro & con so i can know who to consider retarded

i'm pro net neutrghazi

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

what is that net neutralty + benghazi?

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

neutraface is a nice font but sort of getting tired of art deco

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

i am pro net neutrality and pro sharia law

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

loving shagmech dunking all over this thread like mj dunking over 3 yo/s

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

the ownage is so hard i can't even make a 360 noscope because it would be too tame in comparison to the wisdom being spread

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
pagancow why is the fishmech layer behind the palpatine layer

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Sham bam bamina! posted:

pagancow why is the fishmech layer behind the palpatine layer

something something crushed blacks

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I don't understand. I thought the problem with netflix was the ISPs wanted to leverage their local duopolies to squeeze money from netflix. This was to protect their traditional businesses from cord cutting. The outcry was if they could do it to netflix, then they could do it to any new usage of the internet to squeeze a little more money.

Nothing was stopping them from making a streaming service that competed directly with netflix. That would have been the non duopoly thing to do. Instead they used their complete control to attempt to render netflix less competitive.

they weren't squeezing anything from Netflix. Netflix decided they could get better service for less by going directly to Comcast instead of going thru level3. the reason most isps don't do their own streaming stuff(aside from Comcast) is that they were happy to just be network companies up until net neut makes just being the network unmaintainable. if/when that happens they will have to expand out of networking to make money.

also the reason Comcast has their own streaming service is because they are also a content owner. net neut will probably make them double down on that and even if the twc deal isn't approved I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to sell twc some of their stuff.

the narrative that ISPs did anything wrong to Netflix is complete and utter bullshit on every level.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Cardboard Box A posted:

Well on the other hand it's Ted Cruz soooooooo

i hope that you have learned a valuable lesson about quoting stymie

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i hope that you have learned a valuable lesson about quoting stymie
Behead those who quote stymie?

oh no

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Shaggar posted:

they weren't squeezing anything from Netflix. Netflix decided they could get better service for less by going directly to Comcast instead of going thru level3.

If you believe that you're delusional.

But you're shaggar so that's a given

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

here is a video with confusing graphics and bad compression trying to explain the history of the law which should leave you just as confused when you watch it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZyUlIhUMyM

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

spankmeister posted:

If you believe that you're delusional.

But you're shaggar so that's a given

lol net neuts cant accept reality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i have lag ityool 2015 in ff14 because east coasters on comcast and twc or any level3 backbone isp got hosed for some reason

• Locked thread