Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

when i was a kid i had donkey kong lands and they were good enough for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

I played DKC3 through when I was like 10 but haven't touched the series since. How much are they? All the old SNES stuff seems a little overpriced.

it is currently at full price, 8 dollars per title. which is really stupid. especially when it claims there's a deal on the eshop

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

it is currently at full price, 8 dollars per title. which is really stupid. especially when it claims there's a deal on the eshop
I paid $10 for all the Metroid Prime games, I think I'll hold off.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Awesome! posted:

when i was a kid i had donkey kong lands and they were good enough for me

Wow! a visit from an actual DK celebrity, Cranky Kong. how's it hangin', crankster?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

I paid $10 for all the Metroid Prime games, I think I'll hold off.

yeah

i honestly dont know why nintendo charges a fat loving premium for old rear end games you could emulate when they're selling wii games for an absurd discount

A cool damn horse
Jan 25, 2009

I like Donkey Kong Country Returns and tropical freeze more than the old dkcs, myself. They're so god damned ugly. :wtc:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'll play Tropical Freeze when it's cheaper. Is DKC Returns any good?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'll play Tropical Freeze when it's cheaper. Is DKC Returns any good?

its great on the 3ds, on the wii it has lovely waggle controls. and i dont mean "i am a fat piece of poo poo that can't be assed to move" lovely like they actually kind of ruin the game

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

its great on the 3ds, on the wii it has lovely waggle controls. and i dont mean "i am a fat piece of poo poo that can't be assed to move" lovely like they actually kind of ruin the game
Oh, like Twilight Princess?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Oh, like Twilight Princess?

you need to shake to roll, which is something you really need to happen at precise moments and it's not very precise

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

you need to shake to roll, which is something you really need to happen at precise moments and it's not very precise
Jesus Christ. I'll check it out on the 3DS. That's like if Mario Galaxy had you shake to jump. Spinning's already a little iffy.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
play it loud

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Yeah at the time I remember a lot of people not liking it, but I replayed it about two years ago and it is really good. I think if it just kept Diddy and Dixie, along with the regular pirate theme/graphics then a lot of people would have liked it a lot more. From what I've gathered, a lot of people took issue with DKC 3 that it experimented a lot more with level gimmicks than previous titles, which I think is a-ok. There were varying levels of success but overall I still think it's refreshing and fun. I like DKC3 more than DKC1 tbh.

yea dkc1 hasn't aged too well and even as a kid I lked dkc3 is way more than 1.

I guess it was gimmicky, but they were mostly good except some dumb ones like backwards control gas pipe levels and stuff. Not quite as memorable as 2 but i liked some of the general worlds--K2, Saw house/Forest, castle.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

A cool drat horse posted:

I like Donkey Kong Country Returns and tropical freeze more than the old dkcs, myself. They're so god damned ugly. :wtc:

DKC2 I think still looks fine thanks to its art design. The bee hive, roller coaster, and haunted forest levels still look good

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
DKC3's art style is a bit weird.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The last time that I played, the haunted roller coaster level gave me some trouble for some reason, and I had never had any trouble with it before.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

man i remember when Advanced Computer Modeling or whatever its name is was a great advancement in graphics technology. nintendo power pimped that poo poo dry

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Squeezy Farm posted:

The donkey kong country games are terrible.

Yeah

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Xaris posted:

yea dkc1 hasn't aged too well and even as a kid I lked dkc3 is way more than 1.

I guess it was gimmicky, but they were mostly good except some dumb ones like backwards control gas pipe levels and stuff. Not quite as memorable as 2 but i liked some of the general worlds--K2, Saw house/Forest, castle.

Y-Hat posted:

dkc3 gets a bad rap for "gimmicky" levels and having a more cartoony art style than the first two games. i prefer the art style in DKC1 and 2 but i like 3's as well

the gimmick levels are very hit-and-miss. the one with the rope on fire is good, but Lightning Lookout and the rocket level make me want to pull my hair out

Exactly mates. I like that the team pushed the envelope with level design. Most of the gimmicks are fun or at least "fine". But man those few gimmick levels that actually sucked, super sucked.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
For what it's worth I notice a significant difference in the precision of controls in DKC:R & TR, compared to the SNES titles. It's not bad, but it's annoying especially for Donkey Kong.

Apropos of nothing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTLga_Me-Us

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

For what it's worth I notice a significant difference in the precision of controls in DKC:R & TR, compared to the SNES titles. It's not bad, but it's annoying especially for Donkey Kong.

Apropos of nothing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTLga_Me-Us

It's fine that Donkey Kong actually controls like a buff gorilla now. I like the crazy tight controls of the og trilogy but I like the momentum controls of the new games, too

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
Based purely on nostalgia and not at all on any objective determination of quality, DKC1 was awesome, DKC2 was also awesome if a little difficult in the lost world for eight year old meme, and DKC3 was pretty good except for the dumb Simon game for the banana birds and being forced to play as fat baby Kong.

Based on having replayed them recently, DKC2 is far superior to the other two games and easily one of my favorite platformers ever. DKC1 looks like rear end and has some really annoying levels in the snow section but is still, all things considered, a solid game that I can replay and have a lot of fun with from time to time. DKC3 feels like it should be good, and several of the individual levels are fun to play, but I really never have the desire to go back and replay it like I do the first two.

Also candy kong had some rockin' ape boobs, don't know what was up with that.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Doctor Goat posted:

DKC3's art style is a bit weird.

I never really got into it and I don't know why, I never even made it to dumb gimmick levels. I think it's partly because it seemed to folks up the previous games' aesthetics of "Jungle Island" and "Pirates", with "Canada".

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Bobnumerotres posted:

yeah

i honestly dont know why nintendo charges a fat loving premium for old rear end games you could emulate when they're selling wii games for an absurd discount

Same, Wii games even in their physical forms are dirt cheap. SNES stuff goes for way more.

Especially now, I paid like 5 dollars for the physical carts of each DKC game years ago, now they're more expensive than Donkey Kong Country Returns in the same condition.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Tender Bender posted:

I never really got into it and I don't know why, I never even made it to dumb gimmick levels. I think it's partly because it seemed to folks up the previous games' aesthetics of "Jungle Island" and "Pirates", with "Canada".

lmao

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

loving lol the Donkey Kong Land series. Anyone who says the SNES version looks ugly hasn't seen true poo poo until they've tried to play one of those. Hey lets import the graphic design as much as possible without making the Kongs stand out from the background at all! Enjoy falling into grey scenery that matches with your grey Kong in the grey sky. It's a shame too because those games had equally solid levels and music design (by Gameboy standards).

I have to agree with not getting the hate for DKC3 :shrug: I mean yeah it didn't hold a candle to DKC2 in terms of design or music, but the core mechanics were similar enough. Dixie played nearly identical and you could just play as her and ignore fat retard baby Kong 90% of the time. Also although the gimmicks were at times annoying and hard as balls, they were still mostly fair and rewarded good gameplay. I still think DKC1 aged worse, and it's the only game in the SNES run I haven't gone back to play a hundred times over.

Also I thought I was just a crotchety old fart for not getting into DKC:R because of the shake mechanics but after hearing others in the thread, it makes me feel less bad about it. Guess I'll have to pick up the 3DS one if that stupid poo poo can't be mapped to a button. If Tropical Freeze has that shaky gimmick bullshit I'll pass on that too.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

cool post that i took the tijme to read

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Tropical Freeze is really loving good

The dark secret of the DKC games is that almost every level has a gimmick, DKC3 is just where it felt really gimmicky, also the aesthetic is uglier than even the first game's

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
the land games look a lot better now that you arent playing them on a original game boy's screen

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
it was still a dumb idea tho

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Bobnumerotres posted:

cool post that i took the tijme to read

Gorilla Novella

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
The 3DS version of DKC Returns is great without the waggle, but only runs at 30fps whereas the Wii version runs at 60fps

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The waggle sucks in Returns, but it's not nearly bad enough to ruin the game. At least with nunchuck controls. It's still better to play it with waggle than to play it at 30fps.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
theres also a mod that assigns the waggle to a button

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

starbarry clock posted:

theres also a mod that assigns the waggle to a button

yeah you can use Gecko to assign a different button.

doing this also removes any and all challenge from the game because they based it around fighting the controls.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

This thread isnt the same without Bonzibuddy

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Eye of Widesauron posted:

This thread isnt the same without Bonzibuddy

if only he hadn't run off with someone's kremcoins without delivery of services. RIP.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

The waggle sucks in Returns, but it's not nearly bad enough to ruin the game. At least with nunchuck controls. It's still better to play it with waggle than to play it at 30fps.
on the internet "waggle" translates into "waaaaaaaaah i'm a big gay baby who can't handle flicking my wrist once in a while"

they do go a little overboard with it but it's still a fun as hell game in spite of it. also, hard as hell at the end- i lost so many lives in that volcano level with the rising lava

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum
dk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum
donkey kong

• Locked thread