Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Phantasium posted:

Reminder for those that like the music (which should be everybody)...

Did you know DKC3 on GBA had a completely different soundtrack done by David Wise because they couldn't figure out a technical solution to get the SNES music working on a GBA in time and it was faster for Wise to just write whole new tracks? Because it's a nice change of pace if you've played the game before.

I believe they also added a new water world, and swapped some bosses around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Xaris posted:

:hfive: the only level i remember being really bad at was the snake rise level.

DKC3 was pretty drat good too, i dont get why it gets a lot of hate. babby kong was kinda stupid but, but dixie still owns and it's prolly about 80% as good as dkc2.

Yeah at the time I remember a lot of people not liking it, but I replayed it about two years ago and it is really good. I think if it just kept Diddy and Dixie, along with the regular pirate theme/graphics then a lot of people would have liked it a lot more. From what I've gathered, a lot of people took issue with DKC 3 that it experimented a lot more with level gimmicks than previous titles, which I think is a-ok. There were varying levels of success but overall I still think it's refreshing and fun. I like DKC3 more than DKC1 tbh.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Xaris posted:

yea dkc1 hasn't aged too well and even as a kid I lked dkc3 is way more than 1.

I guess it was gimmicky, but they were mostly good except some dumb ones like backwards control gas pipe levels and stuff. Not quite as memorable as 2 but i liked some of the general worlds--K2, Saw house/Forest, castle.

Y-Hat posted:

dkc3 gets a bad rap for "gimmicky" levels and having a more cartoony art style than the first two games. i prefer the art style in DKC1 and 2 but i like 3's as well

the gimmick levels are very hit-and-miss. the one with the rope on fire is good, but Lightning Lookout and the rocket level make me want to pull my hair out

Exactly mates. I like that the team pushed the envelope with level design. Most of the gimmicks are fun or at least "fine". But man those few gimmick levels that actually sucked, super sucked.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
For what it's worth I notice a significant difference in the precision of controls in DKC:R & TR, compared to the SNES titles. It's not bad, but it's annoying especially for Donkey Kong.

Apropos of nothing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTLga_Me-Us

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Tender Bender posted:

I never really got into it and I don't know why, I never even made it to dumb gimmick levels. I think it's partly because it seemed to folks up the previous games' aesthetics of "Jungle Island" and "Pirates", with "Canada".

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
The one thing that bugged me is that 99% of the hidden items to get the lost worlds are hidden with appropriate challenge, but still relatively plausible to discover. But there's always one or two that are absolute bullshit.

I never managed to find all of them without a guide. The ones where you have to fall into an apparent death hole with no bananas or contextual clues...

• Locked thread