Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Someone should probably make a better OP than this, but no one else has posted a thread yet and now we have a proper event date.

https://www.apple.com/watch/

Apple unveiled their Watch late last year, and will presumably announce more details on March 9. That event will be streamed on their website at this page. Go nuts talking about the Apple Watch here, though presumably it'll be pretty quiet until the event. All we have to go on now is the information about the 3 models, various bands, and rumors that some of the health sensors have been cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?
Interested to see if you have to buy a new model every year or if you can just upgrade the S1 to an S2, especially for the Edition watches. I'm leaning towards the "if you're going to pay $10k for this, you're probably not the kind of person who would mind doing it again" opinion.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I hope this turns out to be a great product.

I'd almost switch from Android to an iPhone if this is great. Just the idea of getting and setting up new apps, workflows, getting used to a new way of doing things, blah blah blah...just makes me want to cry a little bit..

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 6, 2017

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Also laugh about sending your heartbeat as an intimate message to others.

*sends strong pulse to girlfriend*

"You hear that baby.. I put my watch on my dick."

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

I hope this turns out to be a great product.
I do too but I'm always leery of first-gen Apple products. I'm really going to want to snag one day one, but I know I should just wait a year.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
Honestly I don't think there is any reason to believe the Apple Watch isn't going to be great. Pebble has shown that watch notifications can be user friendly, powerful and useful, Fitbit has shown that fitness and HR tracking can be user-friendly and intuitive, Google has made some half developed strides in tying both together and making them arguably more powerful, everything is there to make the Apple Watch great, it just doesn't exist together which is why I wear a Fitbit and a Pebble/Android Wear device every day, also track my runs outside with my phone in a completely separate app for GPS.

If anyone can make this work it is Apple, I'm cautiously very excited.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 27, 2015

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

I too can't wait to have more to-do lists and calendar events nagging me. Oh and health reminders.

In all seriousness I do want to get my hands on one just for the motion / pressure sensors. TOYS!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I can't wait to not be allowed to wear it during university exams.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I'll probably end up with one cause my birthday is in April and "new Apple thing" tends to be my family's default gift if there's one available (so I got iPads for a while when they did early year launches).

I'd get one myself regardless I think, mostly for use in my car. It has one of those integrated units that can't be swapped out and is outdated, so iPhone integration is a bit lacking. I have fancy BT adapter for music (has playlist and car control support) but something in iOS 8 made that a bit annoying to use, in that more often than not I have to start music from the phone itself. Otherwise map address entry on the car's GPS is slow and there's no Siri or message support of course. Basically not much I can't already do now really, but not having to fish my phone out of my pocket for those little things would be nice.

Health stuff is a neat extra but the main reason I'd get it is still the basic stuff above. And of course the promise of third party stuff like start/stop things or two factor auth apps, and god knows how much stupid poo poo people will come up with. (Except a new I Am Rich app, cause the gold watch kinda negates the need for that)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Would seriously buy one for the nfc payments alone (5s user :whatup: )

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I call dibs on the 'send a goon your heartbeat' thread.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Apparently Snapchat has a thing where if you take a screen shot of a chat it gives you a big black mark forever even thought it still works.

That should be a thing with sending your heart beat on the Apple Watch, you can use the feature but you are forever publicly marked as one of "them"

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm wondering how they'll go about announcing the price for the Edition. I know that to a large subset of the population spending upwards of $10k on a watch isn't exactly a huge deal but with just how public and viral the press conferences have become it'll be interesting to see if they actually put a number to it, and if so, how much of a backlash that will cause with the casual / white-noise crowd. Having them only available at select high end jewelry stores would help divert some of that attention (as opposed to placing it along side the other models in the online store), but this still feels like something that annoying people will freak out about.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

No way they're gonna be selling a 10k watch in a normal store

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

I do too but I'm always leery of first-gen Apple products. I'm really going to want to snag one day one, but I know I should just wait a year.

How expensive are the watches going to be? If it starts at $300-400, that isn't as bad as being out $500-600 like the original iPad, and while its a bit crazy to say "oh just sell your watch in a year and upgrade" that likely will be a good option in a year with Apple resale values.

The new Pebble has me considering that instead, but I think I'm still just getting the Apple Watch and be done with it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Quantum of Phallus posted:

No way they're gonna be selling a 10k watch in a normal store

Not at a Walmart or Best Buy but they most likely will be at the retail stores. They're supposedly redesigning them just for selling the watch.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I'm going to buck the trend and say under $2000 with almost all of the margin on the watch and not the gold. The $5,000+ figures are based on jeweler/watch maker markups, Apple will make it up on volume and I think that is why it is freaking the high end watch makers out, Apple is going to disrupt the high end watch market.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I am interested in this in a sports watch capacity. If it delivers in that area I will probably get one when the second generation ones come out.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Three Olives posted:

I'm going to buck the trend and say under $2000 with almost all of the margin on the watch and not the gold. The $5,000+ figures are based on jeweler/watch maker markups, Apple will make it up on volume and I think that is why it is freaking the high end watch makers out, Apple is going to disrupt the high end watch market.

I think this is true, but really when you get a high end watch, you have it for the rest of your life. How long can you really expect the Apple Watch model you buy to last? Platforms change so quick, iOS updates will eventually EOF your model. Then what do you do? Not to mention the battery won't last more than a few years with out losing most of it's capacity? This isn't like an "Apple is doomed post", I'm just legit curious how they will handle those items.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Yeah that has me really scratching my head as well. Who is dumb enough to spend 10k on a watch that is going to be outdated and replaced a year from now? And reselling will be harder than with an iPhone/iPad because the watch market is smaller, the askin price will be higher, and you have to find someone that wants the watch the way you customiZed it.

I would honestly be happy if apple didn't release a watch every year.

Maybe they will make it so the band's always fit even with future generations, so you can save some money that way? Though if any form factor changes down the line that could impact that.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

rear end Catchcum posted:

Yeah that has me really scratching my head as well. Who is dumb enough to spend 10k on a watch that is going to be outdated and replaced a year from now? And reselling will be harder than with an iPhone/iPad because the watch market is smaller, the askin price will be higher, and you have to find someone that wants the watch the way you customiZed it.

I would honestly be happy if apple didn't release a watch every year.

Maybe they will make it so the band's always fit even with future generations, so you can save some money that way? Though if any form factor changes down the line that could impact that.

In their initial conference about they said something along the lines of "we made the watch with a standard lug, no one else has done that before" and I was like "uh...doesn't like every watch in the world use the same pins?"

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Who is dumb enough to spend 10k on a watch that is going to be outdated and replaced a year from now?
Normal consumer logic doesn't apply when you get into luxury goods.

You're trying to rationalize the same behavior of buying a Ferrari. At some point you just have enough money that you don't think about purchases and just say "eh gently caress it."

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 27, 2015

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I think this is true, but really when you get a high end watch, you have it for the rest of your life. How long can you really expect the Apple Watch model you buy to last? Platforms change so quick, iOS updates will eventually EOF your model. Then what do you do? Not to mention the battery won't last more than a few years with out losing most of it's capacity? This isn't like an "Apple is doomed post", I'm just legit curious how they will handle those items.

I think that is the point, technology has long passed the mechanical watch, Apple will argue that it should be something replaced every few years, pricing will reflect that.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

You're trying to rationalize the same behavior of buying a Ferrari. At some point you just have enough money that you don't think about purchases and just say "eh gently caress it."

The Apple Watch Edition is not a Ferrari, it's a Lexus. It's a status symbol with slightly better materials but it is ultimately a Toyota, pricing will reflect that. Luxury good is the wrong way to look at it, gold is a commodity, all the technology inside is basically commodity, if you take it apart an Apple Watch Sport and an Apple Watch edition are the same watch, I just can't imagine them taking much of a margin on the gold and by all accounts there is $1,200 worth of gold in it at absolute most, probably significantly less.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 27, 2015

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Any idea what the steal stretchy band with the links will go for? That's not an Edition one, right?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Three Olives posted:

Luxury good is the wrong way to look at it, gold is a commodity, all the technology inside is basically commodity, if you take it apart an Apple Watch Sport and an Apple Watch edition are the same watch, I just can't imagine them taking much of a margin on the gold and by all accounts there is $1,200 worth of gold in it at absolute most, probably significantly less.
Agree to disagree. Apple's never been known to operate on a thin margin. We'll find out in a couple of weeks.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Apple's never been known to operate on a thin margin.

There will be fat margins on the watch guts, I just don't see them taking heavy margins on gold. But say they do, $1,200 in gold max, say they take 30%, that's $1,500+$350, max. I just don't see them taking luxury good margins of 100s%

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 27, 2015

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Pricing wise for the gold watches my logic is that they're competing for wrist space, and it's not like $5K+ watches are some crazy exclusive space. I could see them going $10K or whatever, but I could see them undercutting too with the understanding of shorter lived tech...but by undercut I still mean like $3-5K cause that keeps them within the low-mid range of nice watch pricing. Go too low and (as stupid as it is) you lose part of the reason of buying an expensive rear end gold watch, it's like taking the H off a Honda! why can't I find a clip of it :argh:

Any idea what the steal stretchy band with the links will go for? That's not an Edition one, right?
That's a uh, "Watch" one (without suffix) I guess? No clue on price since they've only mentioned $349 for the aluminum Sport models. Only thing I've seen is people speculating that the steel one would be around $1000 but nothing on the bands themselves.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

japtor posted:

That's a uh, "Watch" one (without suffix) I guess? No clue on price since they've only mentioned $349 for the aluminum Sport models. Only thing I've seen is people speculating that the steel one would be around $1000 but nothing on the bands themselves.

Steel will be under $800, closer to $500 and probably the best selling model. Bands will be upgrades up to a few hundred.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
If they come out with a watch every year I am going to complain.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

If they come out with a watch every year I am going to complain.
You're going to complain.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I can't wait for the Apple watch. I've had this Microsoft band for like 3 months now and while the MS band is kinda poo poo I've found having notifications on my wrist is something I never knew I really wanted. I like being able to walk around the house and if someone calls or texts me I can see it. Also having a HR sensor is pretty awesome. I'm getting the watch day one if I can (I'm not camping out for that poo poo but I'll try and pre order it).

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
The biggest thing holding me back on this (and any smart watch really) is battery life. Charging my phone every night is something I've come to accept, but I'm not sure I'll be able to handle that on a watch. I wear mine every day, and I expect it to tell me the time 24/7. Maybe if they figure out a way to extend the battery with the charge generated by humans I'll grab one.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
What's the expected battery life or do we not know that yet

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

We don't know poo poo about Apple Watch other than what it looks like and some of the band options.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Something tells me it won't be weeks.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

Super Dude posted:

Something tells me it won't be weeks.

Even the pebble only lasts a week

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Even the pebble only lasts a week

So? I don't own one.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I'm saying your battery expectations are pretty cray, brah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Unknown, but given that Apple avoided talking about it in the Watch presentation, I would bet it's charge every night or every other night. If it was a week long battery that would be a killer feature.

Eh, what's an extra plug next to my phone at night?

• Locked thread