Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Thermopyle posted:

Are you saying that it's off on step counting for running or just distance measurement?

My FitBit Flex is pretty good for me for running. During pleasant weather I run 5k a few times a week and haven't noticed it being too bad for distance measurement. Of course, I don't pay any attention to its distance measurement since I use RunKeeper, but I feel like I would have noticed if it was off by miles.

Maybe it is an issue of people being in some stride "sweet spot" for missing miles? I do 5Ks on my treadmill 5 days a week and I also see myself losing miles vs. what the machine says I'm doing. That being said, both devices have my calories burnt being pretty close to one another which is pretty okay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

suddenlyissoon posted:

I had both a fitbit and a jawbone and found the fitbit to be much, much more accurate. The jawbone would sometimes register less than half of the correct number of steps.

I rarely keep my phone with me (leave it plugged to the computer) when at work and will frequently walk away from my desk and around my building. My main concern is the functionality of the watch at that point. I'm hoping it will continue to measure steps & other basic things without the phone connection.
Should be fine there cause ultimately that's just using the sensors it has itself. GPS would be nice but in your particular case it's probably not a big deal...unless you have a fancy big rear end building and would like to see a more accurate distance walked or something.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Thermopyle posted:

Are you saying that it's off on step counting for running or just distance measurement?

My FitBit Flex is pretty good for me for running. During pleasant weather I run 5k a few times a week and haven't noticed it being too bad for distance measurement. Of course, I don't pay any attention to its distance measurement since I use RunKeeper, but I feel like I would have noticed if it was off by miles.

I have no idea if the steps are off or not, if I knew how many steps I had in a mile I would have set the stride length months ago. But yeah, distance is definitely off by a lot on runs, miles.

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?
Big info dump over on 9to5mac

Best news is 5 hour "heavy app usage".

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

quote:

Tim Cook and Jony Ive have both spoken numerous times about the Apple Watch Edition being more scratch-resistant than standard 18-karat gold, describing it as ‘twice as hard’ as standard gold but but without explaining how. A patent application (via Leancrew) appears to explain this–and shows that Apple saves money on the gold into the bargain.

18-karat gold isn’t pure gold, it is defined as being 75% gold by weight. The remaining 25% of the mix is usually made up of one or more other metals, with silver and copper popular choices. The Apple patent describes mixing gold with low-density ceramic particles instead of metal.

Because weight, not volume, is what defines the karat gold standards, Apple’s watch could use less than a third the gold of a conventional alloy while still qualifying as 18-karat gold …

Yep, I'm sticking with my prediction that the gold Apple Watch is a lot less expensive that people are predicting, that would put the max gold content at closer to $800, likely closer to $500 which means Apple could sell it for $1000-$1200 and still pull off insane margins. Not fashion luxury insane margins but still high even for Apple.

The whole argument for the insane $5-10k+ price range has been that is what other 18k Gold watches cost, do you really think that argument would fly if it was known that Apple was using a 3rd less gold in their watches?

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Mar 9, 2015

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
The $10k or even $20k ideas just amaze me. Apple is a company that's all about the bottom line and making products people want because it's trendy, cool, etc., but those prices are just ridiculous. I'm with Three Olives on this.

I'm guessing:
Apple Watch - $449 or $499
AW Sport - $349
AW Edition - $799 up to $999 on the outside

Rick Sanchez fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 9, 2015

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Paul Allen posted:

The $10k or even $20k ideas just amaze me. Apple is a company that's all about the bottom line and making products people want because it's trendy, cool, etc., but those prices are just ridiculous. I'm with Three Olives on this.

I'm guessing:
Apple Watch - $449 or $499
AW Sport - $349
AW Edition - $799

I would go with $999 for the Edition, maybe $1,299 but these $5k figures are ridiculous. Another thing I find interesting is a lot of this speculation seems to going back to John Gruber who is saying stuff like this:

quote:

Technically that’s possible, but it doesn’t make any sense to me strategically or in terms of operational efficiency. With storage tiers in iOS devices, the only difference is the capacity of the flash memory chip. That’s it. All the other components, and the machining and tooling required to produce them, are the same. With Sport and steel Apple Watches, everything you can see or touch is different. Different metal (aluminum vs. steel), different finishes (matte vs. highly-polished), different displays (glass vs. sapphire), different case backs (plastic vs. ceramic and sapphire). If the marketing argument doesn’t persuade you, the operations angle should. I just don’t see why Apple would bother with all this if the starting price for steel Apple Watch wasn’t at least around double that of Sport.

Really? Apple was seriously considering using sapphire for the entire phone screen, there are non-insanely expensive phones out now that use sapphire for the screens. Yes it will be appealing but the marginal cost of a sapphire display over a glass display can't be more than $10-20 and steel is an appealing material but they make soup cans out of steel and aluminium, we aren't talking an inherently luxury material here.

Why is everyone assuming that Apple is going to go from very healthy margins to like Gucci margins because they decided to make a watch? That is insane.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Yeah Gruber's price predictions are pretty outlandish, but I cant' dismiss it because it's almost certainly informed by inside sources at Apple.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
"luxury watch" and "materials cost" are pretty much unrelated. I think people are assuming Apple will model their pricing after stuff like this.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What time is this? 10 PDT/ 1 EDT?

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

Three Olives posted:

I would go with $999 for the Edition, maybe $1,299 but these $5k figures are ridiculous.

Yeah, $999 wouldn't surprise me either, but I really don't think they would crack $1000. I guess we'll find out soon enough!

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Maybe he's (or rather, his sources) throwing out high numbers to manage expectations. $1k doesn't sound so bad if we were all prepared for $5k!

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I don't like the look of gold so anything that pushes the stainless steel down in price works for me.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Yes

http://www.apple.com/live/

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Jealous Cow posted:

"luxury watch" and "materials cost" are pretty much unrelated. I think people are assuming Apple will model their pricing after stuff like this.

Yeah the real answer is "what the market will bear" and all we have to go on are the gold watches that already exist. Getting sucked into the materials cost and assuming that's all there is seems foolish. You still have the cost of development, rejiggering the stores however they want, and presumably some ongoing labor for the high rollers too.

Edit: plus I don't think the sort of market typically interested in gold watches usually cares if it's 5-10k. If those numbers make your eyes roll then the whole product category of gold watches isn't meant for you.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Endless Mike posted:

Yup.

quote:

Spring forward.
Join us on March 9 at 10 a.m. PDT for our special event.
Watch the live video and follow every moment on apple.com/live.

Live streaming video requires Safari 5.1.10 or later on OS X v10.6.8 or later; Safari on iOS 6.0 or later. Streaming via Apple TV requires second- or third-generation Apple TV with software 6.2 or later.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Three Olives posted:

Yep, I'm sticking with my prediction that the gold Apple Watch is a lot less expensive that people are predicting, that would put the max gold content at closer to $800, likely closer to $500 which means Apple could sell it for $1000-$1200 and still pull off insane margins. Not fashion luxury insane margins but still high even for Apple.

The whole argument for the insane $5-10k+ price range has been that is what other 18k Gold watches cost, do you really think that argument would fly if it was known that Apple was using a 3rd less gold in their watches?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veblen_good

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
lol @ people using "costs of goods" to try and predict the price of a luxury item. I mean if you're gonna claim that it won't be priced with those kind of margins that's fine, but claiming that there's no way they'd charge 5k+ JUST because it ONLY has $500 worth of actual gold in it is stupid. If they want to go after that market they certainly will and will most likely make a killing at it.

We'll find out soon enough.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Jealous Cow posted:

I don't like the look of gold so anything that pushes the stainless steel down in price works for me.

This is part of the reason I don't believe there is going to be an astronomical price point for the gold watch, it's going to have limited appeal even as the ultra-luxury watch. I don't like the look of gold on me, even if I could spend $10k on a gold Apple Watch like it was nothing I would go for the stainless steel.

It's absolutely going to be a premium over the steel but I don't see an OMG premium and the steel is probably going to be the most popular device by far. By charging an OMG premium on a watch that many potential buyers wouldn't buy for style reasons I think the risk alienating top end customers. Obviously they are going to have to charge a premium for gold but not such a difference that steel buyers are afraid it is going to look like they cheaped out for not getting gold. Sport will be the watch teenagers get from Mom & Dad for their birthday.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
I recall posts on here (and the rest of the internet) about how the 1st gen iPad COULDN'T be less than $1000, it just absolutely couldn't because x, y and z.

I wonder if this will be a similar situation this time around.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

http://p.events-delivery.apple.com.edgesuite.net/1503ohibasdvoihbasfdv/m3u8/atv_mvp.m3u8

If anyone else is going to be watching this on VLC...

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Three Olives posted:

This is part of the reason I don't believe there is going to be an astronomical price point for the gold watch, it's going to have limited appeal even as the ultra-luxury watch. I don't like the look of gold on me, even if I could spend $10k on a gold Apple Watch like it was nothing I would go for the stainless steel.

It's absolutely going to be a premium over the steel but I don't see an OMG premium and the steel is probably going to be the most popular device by far. By charging an OMG premium on a watch that many potential buyers wouldn't buy for style reasons I think the risk alienating top end customers. Obviously they are going to have to charge a premium for gold but not such a difference that steel buyers are afraid it is going to look like they cheaped out for not getting gold. Sport will be the watch teenagers get from Mom & Dad for their birthday.

Platinum ftw

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Apple.com has been replaced with the event page:

http://www.apple.com/live/2015-mar-event/

Looks like they're doing the rolling blog style page again. Didn't this crash their site last time?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I hope we get to see the truck's schedule again.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I hope all Apple Watch users get Bono's heartbeat automatically.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

I hope we get to see the truck's schedule again.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I can't wait to fondle my digital crown.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
You know that it's an Apple thread when everygoon's getting all competitive about how many 5k's they run per week.

Paul Allen posted:

I recall posts on here (and the rest of the internet) about how the 1st gen iPad COULDN'T be less than $1000, it just absolutely couldn't because x, y and z.

I wonder if this will be a similar situation this time around.

Or when everybody went all :monocle: when the rMBP was introduced with a sub-$4k pricetag.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

:allears: Oh Timb....

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Three Olives posted:

I have no idea if the steps are off or not, if I knew how many steps I had in a mile I would have set the stride length months ago. But yeah, distance is definitely off by a lot on runs, miles.

Don't these things have a calibrate function? I know the UP bands do, because I've done it using a 400m track with the iPhone app.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Tim subscribes to Schwarzenegger "sleep faster" line of motivation.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Electric Bugaloo posted:

You know that it's an Apple thread when everygoon's getting all competitive about how many 5k's they run per week.

I think you misread the room.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Wasn't there stuff from way back about how Tim was basically just as crazy as Steve and would routinely expect his top brass to respond to emails at like 3AM that involved running numbers and stuff?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Wasn't there stuff from way back about how Tim was basically just as crazy as Steve and would routinely expect his top brass to respond to emails at like 3AM that involved running numbers and stuff?

Tim's been long known to be a giant fitness nut who gets up at like 3:30 to exercise so he can start working before, like, 6.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

This link is 404-ing for me. Anyone got a different one?

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

CoasterMaster posted:

This link is 404-ing for me. Anyone got a different one?

Works fine with VLC for me. I always hate the over-enthusiasm of the audience at these things "woo we're so excited to be able to buy new products!!!"

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

Link is working fine with VLC here.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

mik posted:

Works fine with VLC for me. I always hate the over-enthusiasm of the audience at these things "woo we're so excited to be able to buy new products!!!"

Ah figured it out. Stupid work firewall......

For those with the same trouble as me, I used this link:

http://p.events-delivery.apple.com.edgesuite.net/1503ohibasdvoihbasfdv/live/2500/2500.m3u8?x-session-format=live

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

mik posted:

I always hate the over-enthusiasm of the audience at these things "woo we're so excited to be able to buy new products!!!"

Yes. It's so awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
The apple watch is the only thing that might give my worthless life meaning.

Please, give it to me.

• Locked thread