Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chrom1um
Dec 31, 2005
Come and join my doomsday cult!

***NOTE: This GDT post may or may not be subject to updates***

Invicta FC 11
Friday, February 27th
Shrine Auditorium
Los Angeles, California
Prelims Start at 10 PM Eastern/7 PM Pacific/3 AM GMT
Prelims are FREE on UFC.tv this time.

NOTE: Much as I would love to spend 12 hours again on an Invicta OP, I really don't have the time now and while a fine card, it's hardly as stacked as some of their previous ones.

Main Card starts at around 12 AM Eastern/9 PM Pacific/5 AM GMT
You can watch the main card on Main Card at UFC.tv with a FightPass subscription.

Weight-In Results:

Main Card:
145 lbs.: Cristiane "Cyborg" Justino (C) (144.5) vs. Chamaine Tweet (144.8)
115 lbs.: Alexa Grasso (115) vs. Mizuki Inoue (115.25)
115 lbs.: DeAnna Bennett (116)* vs. Norma Rueda Center (116.8)**
135 lbs.: Irene Aldana (135) vs. Colleen Schneider (135.3)

Prelims:
115 lbs.: Jamie Moyle (115.7) vs. J.J. Aldritch(115.5)
115 lbs.: Brianna VanBuren (115.5) vs. Amy Montenegro (115.6)
125 lbs.: Christine Stanley (125.7) vs. Laura Salazar(128.9)***
125 lbs.: Ana Carolina Vidal (125.75) vs. Aspen Ladd (125.5)

*: DeAnna Bennett originally came in at 116.2, and will forfeit 15% of her purse.
**: Norma Rueda Center missed weight and will forfeit 25% of her purse.
***: Laura Salazar missed weight and will forfeit 25% of her purse.

Background:
Invicta FC is the first serious attempt outside Japan to develop Women's MMA in its own league, and had concentrated by far the most top WMMA talent of any promotion to date, and done so across the five competitive weight divisions in WMMA. However, the UFC having two of those divisions now, with all of them bordering the other three, has turned Invicta into a quasi feeder league, but they still possess a number of top fighters, including the World #1s at Atomweight, Flyweight, and Featherweight, and a very deep, rebuilt bench at Strawweight with a number of top 20 fighters.

Invicta1 is headlined with a Featherweight Title match between Champion Cris Cyborg and challenger Charmaine Tweet. The co-main event features between world #10 ranked Mizuki Inoue and fast rising star Alexa Grasso. Major prospects Irene Aldana and DeAnna Bennet round out the main card, with Brianna VanBuren being the strongest prelim fighter in a fight that was originally scheduled against veteran Lynn Alvarez.

For whatever reason, there are only eight fights scheduled, which is a bit worrying, but it's still a high-quality card with a number of UFC-level fighters on it.

Announcing Team: :iiam: but will probably include Julie Kedzie and Michael Schiavello
Ring Announcer: Joe Martinez

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDshRYA24AQ

History of WMMA Female Empowerment Video

Invicta Female Empowerment Video

Main Card:

Vs
Featherweight Championship Fight: Cristiane "Cyborg" Justino (C) (12-1) (Former World #1 Featherweight) before inactivity vs. Charmaine Tweet (6-4) ( #7 Featherweight)
I'm not going to give long write-ups for these this time.
Tweet, who is a veteran kickboxer and 6'0", and who has won 5 of her last 6 and had wins over Amanda Bell and Veronica Rothenhausler, is a far better opponent than say, Jan Finney, but she's still almost certainly gonna get slaughtered here. Cyborg is a loving Great White Shark.

Vs
Strawweight Championship Eliminator: Mizuki Inoue (9-2) (#3) vs. Alexa Grasso (6-0)
Mizuki Inoue, is on paper 8-3 but in reality 9-2 (one of her losses was a fight she won by armbar but missed weight for with no retries, so Japanese promoters decided she lost, because, Japan). Despite a recent split decision loss to Karolina Kowalkiewicz at Invicta 10, she remains one of the best prospects in WMMA, and one of the best Japanese prospects in all of MMA. She's also all of 20 years old, and supposedly one of the reasons she wasn't allowed to be on TUF 20 was because her parents were uncomfortable with the idea of her being away from home for so long.

Alexa Grasso, 21, is a very hot prospect out of Mexico and Irene Aldana's main training partner, and the UFC almost certainly has their eyes on both the women in this fight. Grasso holds notable wins over Alida Gray and Ashley Cummins, and both women are known for their technical striking. Four of Grasso's six wins have been by T(KO). Nevertheless, Inoue should be the modest favorite here.

Vs
Strawweight Fight: DeAnna Bennett (6-0) vs. Lynn Alvarez Norma Rueda Center (6-0)
DeAnna Bennett, who is undefeated with wins over Julianna Pena, Jennifer Maia, Michelle Ould, and Colleen Schneider, was formerly the top prospect at Women's Flyweight. Unfortunately, as that is not a division where you can make a living, she has now dropped to Strawweight. Originally slated to fight new signee and veteran fighter and Lynn Alvarez, who was an excellent pick-up, she's now fighting Jackson's MMA wrestler Norma Rueda Center as Alvarez is injured. Center is no joke and made things very difficult for Joanne Calderwood in her last Invicta fight. If Center is as good at Strawweight as she was at Flyweight however, she should be a strong force in the division. Again, if she does the weigh-cut here, she's easily UFC material.

Vs
Bantamweight Fight: Irene Aldana (4-1) vs. Melanie LaCroix Colleen Schneider (6-5) (#5)
Originally scheduled as a virtual showcase match for Irene Aldana, with her original opponent getting injured she got a major upgrade in Colleen Schneider, who is far better than her 6-5 record, as she's won five of her last six, most recently beating FightMatrix #7 Flyweight Brenda Gonzales. A protege of Josh Barnett, she is no joke. She's also a natural Flyweight however, and Aldana is basically being groomed for the UFC here. Aldana is the decisive favorite and will almost certainly get a shot at the vacant Bantamweight title against Tonya Evinger should she win here. All four of Aldana's wins are by stoppage, most recently tapping out Peggy Morgan at Invicta 8.

Prelims:

Strawweight Match: Jamie Moyle (1-0) (5-2 amateur) vs. J.J. Aldritch (1-0) (7-4 amat.)
Strawweight Match: Brianna "The Bull" VanBuren (3-1) vs. Amy "The Resurrection" Cadwell Montenegro (5-1)
Flweight Match: Christine Stanley (3-1) vs. Laura 'Lethal' Salazar Laura Salazar (3-0)
Flyweight Match: Ana Carolina Vidal (0-0) vs. Aspen Ladd Aspen Ladd (0-0) (2-1 amat.)

VanBuren, who has a win over Patricia Vidonic and who's only loss is to World #15 Stephanie Eggink, is a very strong prospect and another excellent signing. Not sure what to make of the rest of the

Invicta FC info:

Weight Classes:
Atomweight: 105 lbs.
Strawweight: 115 lbs.
Flyweight: 125 lbs.
Bantamweight: 135 lbs.
Featherweight: 145 lbs.

Champions:
Atomweight: Herica Tiburcio
Strawweight: Katja Kankaanpää
Flyweight: Barb Honchak
Bantamweight: TBD
Featherweight: Cristiane "Cyborg" Justino

Top Contenders (excluding UFC-contracted fighters and fighters known to be on TUF 18):
Atomweight: #1 Michelle Waterson, #2 Ayaka Hamasaki, #3 Amber Brown
Strawweight: #1 Karolina Kowalkiewicz, #2 Mizuki Inoue, #3 Alexa Grasso
Flyweight: #1 Vanessa Porto, #2 Jennifer Maia, #3 Takayo Hashi
Bantamweight: #1 Tonya Evinger, #2 Irene Aldana, #3 Miriam Nakamoto
Featherweight: #1 Charmaine Tweet, #2 Ediane Gomes, #3 Amanda Bell

Fighting platform: octagonal cage (yes they switched from the hexagon)

Corporate:
Owner & President: Shannon Knapp
Matchmaker: Julie Kedzie
Secret Business Partner (on the left)

Chrom1um fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrom1um
Dec 31, 2005
gently caress, I forgot to change the drat GDT title before posting. Oh well. If a mod could change it to something clever, or not, either way is fine.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
you shouldn't have said anything because the thread title is appropriate/genius

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Christine Stanley had that rad jumping spinning back kick KO last year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSUaOh_QJAQ

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

LobsterMobster posted:

Jesus, she just fell like a goddamn log.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

LobsterMobster posted:

Like a fuckin' video game.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Bean Fried posted:

gently caress, I forgot to change the drat GDT title before posting. Oh well. If a mod could change it to something clever, or not, either way is fine.

I thought the joke was Cyborg was the only one on the card anyone gave a gently caress about.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Trast posted:

Like a fuckin' video game.

Complete with blue hair!

Another year
Oct 13, 2011

the mermaid
see
a movie?
The thread title is honestly amazing. thanks for the info OP

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes

Bean Fried posted:

please dont, its perfect as is

Chrom1um
Dec 31, 2005

Sprecherscrow posted:

I thought the joke was Cyborg was the only one on the card anyone gave a gently caress about.

Inoue, Grasso, Bennett, and Aldana are all worth caring about imo. Whatever though, I can't really think of anything clever. Something about Mexicans invading maybe? Idk.

Chrom1um fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 27, 2015

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Prelims start at 10 p.m. ET. not 7.

Chrom1um
Dec 31, 2005

doverhog posted:

Prelims start at 10 p.m. ET. not 7.

Fixed.

THE BUTT MAN
Mar 28, 2010

no homo?
i remember Alexa Grosso being pretty cool for reasons other than her face and i think it's because her striking ability is above that of a literal toddler, a truly rare gift in the Womens MMA division

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

THE BUTT MAN posted:

i remember Alexa Grosso being pretty cool for reasons other than her face and i think it's because her striking ability is above that of a literal toddler, a truly rare gift in the Womens MMA division

Her opponent is good too and that fight will probably actually be fun and interesting

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
For someone that has never watched Invicta live: How does one go about watching the main card. Is it broadcast anzwhere for free_

mister
Dec 18, 2011
It's on fightpass if you have it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

For someone that has never watched Invicta live: How does one go about watching the main card. Is it broadcast anzwhere for free_

It's Fight Pass exclusive.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

It's Fight Pass exclusive.

Oh, main card as well?
drat.

\edit
drat american keyboards.

Yuriy posted:

As always, if you're struggling to find a way to watch something, pop into #mma and we got you bro

I'll drop in about half an hour, gotta run to Dollar Tree for some premium Franks, an extension cord and a gallon of Shasta MountainRush

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 28, 2015

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

As always, if you're struggling to find a way to watch something, pop into #mma and we got you bro

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Pity stoppage.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
This fight is really good.

THE BUTT MAN
Mar 28, 2010

no homo?
Prelims:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQQEJ_CTg9I

Warning: Julie Kedzie is still employed as a commentator.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Alright, let's watch some mma.

Someone remind me why Julie Kedzie rings a bell with me and why she's somehow not only commentator, but also matchmaker.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
are you eating cold hot dogs while watching wmma

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Yuriy posted:

are you eating cold hot dogs while watching wmma

No, I'm warming them up, what do you think I am, a barbarian?

"Kedzies gonna kedzie."

Kedzie is kinda getting on my nerves and this fight is cool.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
gently caress that was quick.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Aldana and Grasso are both :krad:

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Someone remind me why Julie Kedzie rings a bell with me and why she's somehow not only commentator, but also matchmaker.

She's a former Strikeforce and UFC fighter who lost a lot, and is also bad at commentary. They have another woman doing the interviews now but Kedzie also did those for a while and would ask the fighters who they think they should fight next even though she's the matchmaker

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I loving love a RNC finish

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dr. Abysmal posted:

She's a former Strikeforce and UFC fighter who lost a lot, and is also bad at commentary. They have another woman doing the interviews now but Kedzie also did those for a while and would ask the fighters who they think they should fight next even though she's the matchmaker

If you are the match maker you want fighters to call each other out, it builds interest in future fights.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

If you are the match maker you want fighters to call each other out, it builds interest in future fights.

Well, yeah...you want it to happen, but if you're trying to facilitate it as a matchmaker...that's kinda weird.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

MassRafTer posted:

Their answer was always "whoever Invicta wants me to fight," so in actuality they were saying "you tell me."

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Julie Kedze moment right there

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

this fight is bad and Julie Kedze is PISSED

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Please do not suggest having that fight again, TJ De Santis.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
This fight looks like the Fast Forward button got stuck

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Grasso is dope

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Oh I didn't realize there was a GDT. Grasso owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Best fight I've seen so far this year.

• Locked thread