Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
I can see why people would argue over the blue/white part.

I don't get how people say it's black unless they are saying "It would be black if the colors were correct!" which is stupid because no one is arguing about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
I still don't see how anyone could possibly get black from it. The very darkest part is just dark brownish.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Murphy Brownback posted:

I still have not seen a convincing argument about how people are seeing white. There is no shadow. Everything is extremely lit, and the middle part of the dress appears to be reflecting light. I don't see where this "blue shadow" is coming from. I mean yeah hypothetically there could be a blue shadow, but I don't see it, because it isn't there.

For me the "white" was only white because the two choices were either white and gold or black and blue. The blue is so light that it doesn't really seem that far from white to me. Whereas the "black" didn't seem anywhere close to black. So I felt like white and gold was more accurate than black and blue. For me, light blue and gold would have had my vote if that were one of the options. I wonder how the results would have changes if that were an option originally.

quote:

Because some peoples' brains don't just see the color value of a bunch of pixels. They can infer things based on the lighting in the picture - it is clearly light reflecting off of thin black fabric that appears gold because of the lovely camera. If you look at the bottom stripes they are much closer to black.

Are you saying this happens automatically so that their brain is interpreting it as black, or are you saying they know it doesn't look black, but know it is black because of the lighting?

The former would make sense, but the latter seems dumb because we all know the dress is actually black and blue but that really isn't the point here.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Ruzihm posted:

If you don't understand the controversy was over the actual, in-reality, color of the dress, and why it's so difficult for most people to "switch" you need to get educated:

It was never about the actual color of the dress, it was about what color the dress appeared to be in the picture. If it was about the actual dress the argument would have ended as soon as a picture of the original dress came out(which happened almost immediately).

• Locked thread