Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

the holy poopacy posted:

The people that don't are one of my biggest pet peeves. Especially when someone spoofs our office number, when people call back and get a business phone system they become very certain that this is something we're doing on purpose and have control over.

Same. I just want to yell at them where the gently caress have you been the last 15 years that you haven't experienced this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Just this morning I got a call that amounted to "hi I got a call from this number?" And no, you did not. At least not from me.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I hate how everything is now attributed to AI. Like if there's a doctored photo people call out AI. And if there's a bad text post people call out AI.

It's usually clear they are just done by bad humans. I feel like it's insulting for humanity that people forgot that humans created tons of lovely content before AI.

Just because it's not real or it's bad doesn't mean it's AI.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

lobsterminator posted:

I hate how everything is now attributed to AI. Like if there's a doctored photo people call out AI. And if there's a bad text post people call out AI.

It's usually clear they are just done by bad humans. I feel like it's insulting for humanity that people forgot that humans created tons of lovely content before AI.

I've been noticing something similar where people claiming AI will point to "obvious" flaws in an image that.. aren't actually flaws? Like, a hand in a photo might be posed in such a way that some fingers/thumb are obscured and you'll get people coming out of the woodwork yelling "LOL LOOK AT THE HANDS AI GARBAGE".

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

lobsterminator posted:

This has become a bit of a gag at my work, we use 'AI' to explain the utterly trivial or banal or something that's been around forever.

"How do they get the caramel into a Caramilk bar?"
"Definitely AI."

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Mister Speaker posted:

"How do they get the caramel into a Caramilk bar?"
"Definitely AI."
David Letterman credited all manner of things to lasers. How'd they do that? Lasers.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

lobsterminator posted:

This is going to get annoying. "AI" will probably meld into a thing that just means "created by or with aid of software."

I'm also really sick of the hands thing. There are tons of tells when looking at AI but everyone just keeps pointing out fingers like they're AI Sherlock Holmes. It's become like a race to see who can point out the fingers thing first. Nevermind the third leg or the steering wheel that becomes a person's leg, or any other weird garbage -- LOOK FINGERS!!!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

credburn posted:

. Nevermind the third leg

That’s a penis

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

credburn posted:

steering wheel that becomes a person's leg,

Also a penis

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

Also a penis

Arr, tis driving me nuts

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Brawnfire posted:

People who clear their throat with some weird loving pattern or sound

Eh-eh-eh-eh-ehhnn

A-hyymmm, a-hymhymhymmmm

Aahnn Hannah hhrerk hn

KccchhhWWW eh eh eh

You're missing out.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Attempting to use the same ATM I go to every two weeks tripped the fraud alert because ~reasons~

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Nameless Pete posted:

Attempting to use the same ATM I go to every two weeks tripped the fraud alert because ~reasons~

Any use of an atm is suspicious

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
People who don't know that tilting is part of playing pinball.

I go to some bars that have pinball tables in them and I get it, you want people to keep pumping coins into them so you set the tilt sensor really sensitive. But as someone who practiced on tables set more reasonably (I guess you could say 'for competition play'), I'm in the habit of moving the table around a bit.

Its frustrating but whatever, that's not really the part that ticks me off. What ticks me off is when patrons say stuff like "whoa cowboy" or bartenders tell me to knock it off. One owner told me to "just get good" when I calmly described how some tables have their sensors set differently and that tilting is generally considered part of the game among pinheads.

I'm no wizard, but I'm better than the average person at pinball. I worked in an arcade bar for a few years, it's not like I don't know what I'm talking about.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Nameless Pete posted:

Attempting to purchase a phone in Target got me flagged yesterday. Unfortunately I was buying the phone because my old phone died, so I had to go all the way home to acknowledge the fraud flag via email, and by the time I did that Target had closed.

Yesterday was a long day.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

is there a windmill-themed pinball machine

like, c'mon, strategy or not maybe don't abuse the antiques.

stringless has a new favorite as of 01:00 on Mar 25, 2024

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

FFT posted:

is there a windmill-themed pinball machine

like, c'mon, strategy or not maybe don't abuse the antiques.

Not sure what the first part of your post means (tilting at windmills maybe?) but moving the machine to the side by a few inches is not abuse. They take far more wear and tear from people pressing the flipper buttons incessantly.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

You understand that it looks like abuse and you're not winning any prizes for it, right?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
No, because it could in fact lead to a higher score if it keeps the ball in play, and because you see it all the time in competition play. Abuse is putting a beer on top of the machine, or punching it when your ball drains - both of which are things I had to warn people about many times at the arcade bar where I worked.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I didn't realize if I got a pinball machine some guys would feel literally entitled to slam it around.

I understand many of them are built to handle it but they're also thousands of dollars and maybe if you're not a federally licensed pinball badass it would make you nervous to rough it up.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Punkinhead posted:

I didn't realize if I got a pinball machine some guys pinheads would feel literally entitled to slam it around.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Punkinhead posted:

I didn't realize if I got a pinball machine some guys would feel literally entitled to slam it around.

I understand many of them are built to handle it but they're also thousands of dollars and maybe if you're not a federally licensed pinball badass it would make you nervous to rough it up.

Like I keep saying, part of the game is moving the table (because there are scenarios where the ball may drain straight down between the flippers), finding the finesse to know what is too much movement, and it's 100% expected in arcade bars and competitions. If it weren't accepted as part of the game, there wouldn't be a tilt sensor and it wouldn't be adjustable.

Fun fact #1: The sensor is a little pendulum bob with a ring around it. The bob touches the ring and completes the circuit, locking out the machine controls and robbing the player of any bonus points. Tables often have a 'warning' setting to warn the player when they're approaching too much movement.

Fun fact #2: Most bar owners do not own their own pinball or arcade machines, they're subcontracted out. The arcade bar I worked in owned all of their machines, and sometimes the more knowledgeable staff would be there until 7AM after a Saturday night, replacing solenoids from flipper wear. I never once saw a machine that had to be repaired from being shoved too aggressively.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
fun fact: the tilt sensor is configurable so the owner of the machine can change it to where they want it
fun fact: sounds like the owner of the machine you're whining about wants you not to tilt it
if it's different in pro play then go play at a pro bar or some poo poo lol

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

InediblePenguin posted:

fun fact: the tilt sensor is configurable so the owner of the machine can change it to where they want it
fun fact: sounds like the owner of the machine you're whining about wants you not to tilt it
if it's different in pro play then go play at a pro bar or some poo poo lol

I do play at bars who know how to set their tables up properly. I stopped playing at the ones that don't. It's just irritating (which is why I posted ITT) when people who don't know what the gently caress they're talking about think I'm doing it out of aggression, or not knowing how to play the game.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I went to a convention where they had electronic virtual pinball games and I shoved that motherfucker around like an idiot.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Another full-rear end day of the library portal being down. Started with images not opening, ended up with the portal just timing out routinely.

PUTS A BIT OF A CRIMP IN MY RESEARCH FLOW

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Online shopping in Alaska:

75% of the time, the FREE SHIPPING is not available in Alaska, and there's no way to learn this until the last step of the ordering process
20% of the time, there's a flat US shipping rate and it results in me paying $5 for 2-day air because that's technically the cheapest option offered by UPS and FedEx
5% of the time, the FREE SHIPPING results in the company shipping a 50-pound package to Alaska via 2-day air. Score!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Mister Speaker posted:

People who don't know that tilting is part of playing pinball.

I go to some bars that have pinball tables in them and I get it, you want people to keep pumping coins into them so you set the tilt sensor really sensitive. But as someone who practiced on tables set more reasonably (I guess you could say 'for competition play'), I'm in the habit of moving the table around a bit.

Its frustrating but whatever, that's not really the part that ticks me off. What ticks me off is when patrons say stuff like "whoa cowboy" or bartenders tell me to knock it off. One owner told me to "just get good" when I calmly described how some tables have their sensors set differently and that tilting is generally considered part of the game among pinheads.

I'm no wizard, but I'm better than the average person at pinball. I worked in an arcade bar for a few years, it's not like I don't know what I'm talking about.

I hate it when I go to work in the morning and the other commuters don't respect that I'm a race car driver.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

"Wanna know a secret?"
Not really.

"More than just my armpits stink"
Uh....OK. Have you ever heard of bathing with soap and water?

That ad is both gross and irritating. The world did not need "Axe, but for women".

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
AI art has clogged up image search results. I am trying to find character art for NPCs in a TTRPG I am running and so many results have that waxy, badly made, slightly uncanny valley look to them.

I know that you get what you pay for, but there are so many janky portraits now it is a chore to locate something worthwhile.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A comedian at open-mic the other night said "I know that pee is stored in the balls."

Nobody said anything. Complete dead silence.

I don't even know what she was hoping for. I know this is an Internet thing, but I don't really know what it's referring to. And she just seemed to be referring to an Internet thing without context. Like, instead of making up a joke I'll just throw something out there and desperately hope someone in the audience is like Hurrrr I know that meme! but it seemed like nobody knew.

The week before there was another comedian who just shouted something that I know he didn't make up, it was just an Internet meme or something, and half the audience hooted and applauded him. But there was no joke, it was just the same as shouting out like, I don't know, "So anyway ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!" and expecting a roused response.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

credburn posted:

A comedian at open-mic the other night said "I know that pee is stored in the balls."

Nobody said anything. Complete dead silence.

I don't even know what she was hoping for. I know this is an Internet thing, but I don't really know what it's referring to. And she just seemed to be referring to an Internet thing without context. Like, instead of making up a joke I'll just throw something out there and desperately hope someone in the audience is like Hurrrr I know that meme! but it seemed like nobody knew.

The week before there was another comedian who just shouted something that I know he didn't make up, it was just an Internet meme or something, and half the audience hooted and applauded him. But there was no joke, it was just the same as shouting out like, I don't know, "So anyway ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!" and expecting a roused response.

Online humor is mostly just references these days. Like comment section humor. You just need to say some vaguely related meme or quote and some nerd will be "Nice [popular show] reference you magnificent bastard!"

Depressing that it's made its way to standup also.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Meanwhile my artisanal, hand-crafted zingers get crickets.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

evobatman posted:

I hate it when I go to work in the morning and the other commuters don't respect that I'm a race car driver.

It's more like if other drivers started getting pissed off at you for turning the steering wheel more than one full rotation.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I would’ve laughed at the pee in the balls like. It’s pretty funny

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I restarted chrome, and because it's currently a day that ends in y, there was a new update it automatically applied.
Then I go to download the newest version of blender, and it puts the download behind a 'unverified download!!!! are you sure you want to download this??? You've disabled safe browsing! So we're telling you this could hypothetically be unsafe!.'

So, because I've got safe browsing disabled, they've forced on a different type of safe browsing that nags me about how I don't use safe browsing on every executable I download.
Said alternative safe browsing feature exists only to nag/browbeat you into re-enabling their safe browsing feature... which I disabled because every time it triggered it was a false positive nag. :shuckyes:

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
My bank has placed a 14 day hold on a check I deposited. Unfortunately, this check is substantial, all the money I have for this week, and also a friend paying me back for my part in a complicated situation.

So it's peanut butter sandwiches again this week. Feels like I'll never escape.

Use Firefox instead, it's back to being the least lovely browser for now.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

SubNat posted:

I restarted chrome, and because it's currently a day that ends in y, there was a new update it automatically applied.
Then I go to download the newest version of blender, and it puts the download behind a 'unverified download!!!! are you sure you want to download this??? You've disabled safe browsing! So we're telling you this could hypothetically be unsafe!.'

So, because I've got safe browsing disabled, they've forced on a different type of safe browsing that nags me about how I don't use safe browsing on every executable I download.
Said alternative safe browsing feature exists only to nag/browbeat you into re-enabling their safe browsing feature... which I disabled because every time it triggered it was a false positive nag. :shuckyes:

Try Vivaldi.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

"Always has a replay, never tilts at all"

My new peeve is that there are not enough songs about pinball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

Mister Speaker posted:

No, because it could in fact lead to a higher score if it keeps the ball in play, and because you see it all the time in competition play. Abuse is putting a beer on top of the machine, or punching it when your ball drains - both of which are things I had to warn people about many times at the arcade bar where I worked.

Huh, I would've thought people would be lacking in energy and feeling pretty chill when the ball drains, not throwing punches.