Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
credburn sure plays a mean pinball.

By which I mean I'm average at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
I have a single sign-on at work that requires me to do 2-factor authorization with my phone. I just got a new computer which means that I had to sign back in to everything in order to use my programs and that means I had to pick up my phone and authorize my sign-in yesterday roughly 7,438 times. Modern computing is a hell from which I will never escape.

Also, some rear end in a top hat keeps knocking over all my pinball machines

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Alexander Hamilton posted:

I have a single sign-on at work that requires me to do 2-factor authorization with my phone. I just got a new computer which means that I had to sign back in to everything in order to use my programs and that means I had to pick up my phone and authorize my sign-in yesterday roughly 7,438 times. Modern computing is a hell from which I will never escape.

This. The authenticator app on my phone requires a pass code to open it, and the passcode again to authorize the authentication. On top of using the passcode to get into the phone in the first place

Oh and I have to change my passcode every 90 days

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

My bank has placed a 14 day hold on a check I deposited. Unfortunately, this check is substantial, all the money I have for this week, and also a friend paying me back for my part in a complicated situation.

So it's peanut butter sandwiches again this week. Feels like I'll never escape

Not ideal financial advice but this is when you use a credit card to float for two weeks.

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
Waiting over 20 minutes past the scheduled time for your dentist appointment to begin

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I am so tired of people acting like you can express yourself and then getting very mad at the things you express

Welp, back into the isolation chamber

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I'm sure your butoh inspired dance was very beautiful, though not appropriate for the office.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Keep doing your butoh dance and let them get mad

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

dang ol' spotify DJ just said "i'm gonna play what you get into on wednesdays [what?], starting with Miami Nights One Thousand Nine Hundred and Eighty Four"

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Spotify keeps making me playlists based on my "tastes" but it generates me like a hundred songs when I only play Hootsforce on repeat

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Waking up because of something that happened in a dream and not being able to shake that.

I know I was supposed to do something...? Oh right, I heard a radio announcement that purchasers of Puppy Brand Tires with the red logo get automatically entered for a sweepstakes, and I won a huge jackpot! So I've got to... Uh...

Wait what the gently caress

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
A friend wanted a custom little program. It's just a button that she can click and it records when she clicked it to a log and if it goes more than 24hours without being clicked it flashes the taskbar. Easy enough. I made it for her, and it worked fine for a week or two then Microsoft Defender started deleting it and claiming it was some sort of machine learning trojan. WTF Microsoft. It's like 180 lines of code and does barely anything and I know squat about writing trojans or machine learning.

Running it on an online site that scans through many different malware scanners and gives a report shows three suspicious activities.
One is that it checks to see if a file exists. How the hell is that suspicious activity, scanning software! I have to check and see if the log file of when the button was clicked exists to choose whether to open it or create it!
Two is that I use C#'s Random class. Apparently just calling Random makes some malware scanners think you're making some crypto bullshit? I just wanted to pick a semi random colour to highlight a message with for fun.
Three is that apparently it calls Microsoft's servers on boot. That is suspicious and strange and I have no idea why it does that or how to stop it. I guess .net or C# stuff just does that by default or something. I cant find anything with google about it.

Anyway its definitely not a loving virus damnit. I filed a false positive report with MS but I doubt that will actually help and if it does I'm sure it'd take months and break again if my friend ever asks for another tweak or update.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

It used to be when I emailed someone with two questions and they only answered one I'd mentally file them under 'one question at a time type people' but now it just pisses me off. You can't hide behind 'couldn't this meeting have just been an email??' if you don't even read the loving email!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Riatsala posted:

It used to be when I emailed someone with two questions and they only answered one I'd mentally file them under 'one question at a time type people' but now it just pisses me off. You can't hide behind 'couldn't this meeting have just been an email??' if you don't even read the loving email!

This happened to me recently where I requested a small email interview with someone about a tidbit of local history. She enthusiastically agreed, so I sent her a list of questions... and she sort of answered one. I sent another one back graciously thanking her for the response and gently prodding her towards the other questions I'd asked. And that was the last I ever heard from them.

I just sort of wrote around her. I was hoping it was going to be a focus of my article, but lol

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I'm sitting here at a coffee shop waiting for one of the tables to open near the wall so I can plug in my laptop. You know what's really stupid? Cords. If I can place my phone on a thing and it magically charges without wires, why can't everything? Every coffee table should have a built-in wireless charging thing. It should be happening all around us. It doesn't hurt us, magnets changing frequency over and over or whatever happens when wireless charging occurs. So why not implement it everywhere? Why isn't there a bigger push to make cords entirely obsolete?

Stupid loving cords.

edit: I mean really, imagine living in a world where everything is always charged? It's going to happen, and in the same way we look back at our grandparents living in a world with rotary phones and poo poo, we're going to look back at this generation and be like, man it must have been a hassle dragging cords around everywhere.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I mean, I know you're just ranting, as is the point of this thread, but the practical answer is that basically anything with more power draw than a phone is a real bitch to wirelessly charge.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My pet peeve is nazis appropriating Norse Paganism when Hávamál, the closest thing to a scripture in that religion, is like 70% Odin saying "Hey be welcoming and friendly to any and all travelers especially if they've come from far away and feed and shelter them if they stop by. " Which is pretty pro immigrant sentiment.

The rest of it is "Also drink and eat in moderation and don't talk poo poo if you don't know what you're talking about and don't be greedy. Carry a sword in case you get jumped. Ok bye."

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

credburn posted:

Every coffee table should have a built-in wireless charging thing. It should be happening all around us. It doesn't hurt us, magnets changing frequency over and over or whatever happens when wireless charging occurs. So why not implement it everywhere? Why isn't there a bigger push to make cords entirely obsolete?

Um, there’s a little thing called the deep state bill gates Covid vaccine, ever heard of it, sheeple, er, sheep… person…?

FreudianSlippers posted:

My pet peeve is nazis appropriating Norse Paganism when Hávamál, the closest thing to a scripture in that religion, is like 70% Odin saying "Hey be welcoming and friendly to any and all travelers especially if they've come from far away and feed and shelter them if they stop by. " Which is pretty pro immigrant sentiment.

The rest of it is "Also drink and eat in moderation and don't talk poo poo if you don't know what you're talking about and don't be greedy. Carry a sword in case you get jumped. Ok bye."

Word, I’ve begun to develop a fascination with paganism (not as a worshipper, just fascination) but loving hell do I not need to be lumped in with those ghouls. There was a YouTube channel I was watching for a bit who explains a lot of the Norse mythology; he’s got the typical look, shaven head, bushy beard, mjölnir pendant, et cetera, but I was able to glean that he’s much a live-and-let-live kind of guy who does not tolerate the chuds who ruin it for everyone else. That said, there are still subscribers who’d, despite all that, be all “argle bargle back then all the men were alpha man warriors and women were nurturing and motherly and knew their place and if Thor caught wind of any o’them queers he’d crush’m with his hammer restore the natural order” and goddammit why do I read comments.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Highly recommend Children of Ash and Elm if you ever want a history of the Viking era that soberly refutes all the stupid nazi bullshit that clings to the culture like dog hair to a Dale sweater.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I do the biggest eye rolls at big tough manly men with big tough manly beards and runic tattoos who basically spend their lives cosplaying as (comic book) vikings. It's lame as gently caress and barely one step up from just going around wearing a spiderman costume.

I wouldn't say it to their faces though.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The search function on the Roku keeps moving around. Make it second. I search for things a lot. And it was second for a while! And then they moved it to like 6th so it’s in the middle so it’s not like I can just hit up twice and go to the bottom for a quick search. Inexcusable.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

You know that ubiquitous symbol that means "external link"? A box with an arrow out of the top right corner? There's no Unicode symbol for that. Literally every time you see that symbol, it's not text, it is an embedded graphic. Very dumb.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I bought a new phone recently, and the alarm just does not work. Or it's too quiet. Or something.
I usually wake up before it is meant to go off, so I haven't noticed until now - the very day I was supposed to wake up early.
Now people are upset with me, and instead of rectifying the situation, I am posting on this dead gay forum.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Ads for Kickstarter projects that tell me they are 10,000% funded and reached 100% within one hour.

Then I guess you don't need my help, why am I receiving this ad :confused:

It's a bit like those ads asking one to donate to starving kids with the message "100% funded! These kids are eating good and going to school!"

credburn has a new favorite as of 20:45 on Mar 31, 2024

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

The Mighty Moltres posted:

I bought a new phone recently, and the alarm just does not work. Or it's too quiet. Or something.

One of my previous phones (Huawei) would power-manage apps so aggressively that I'd often have timers start beeping at -2 minutes.
But yeah, always sucks when -something- goes wrong and you wake up late. I have a habit of having alarms on 2 devices just in case.

Still woke up at 13 instead of 10 on friday though, somehow.

credburn posted:

Ads for Kickstarter projects that tell me they are 10,000% funded and reached 100% within one hour.

Then I guess you don't need my help, why am I receiving this ad :confused:

It's purely to show that they're popular. And a lot of people are unwilling to support something unless it's 'likely' to succeed... aka blasting past it's funding goal.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Current kickstarter strategy is to set the initial goal low enough that it's funded really fast so click bait news sites and twitter accounts run with it. The hope is even if it isn't enough to fund the project the free advertising it brings in from internet vultures will bring in more then they would with a normal campaign.

It seems to work.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Years ago, the options on google maps for public transport used to actually work. For a long time now they haven't done poo poo. You select trains and trams and it goes "well, here's a bus". You select "less walking" or "fewest transfers" and it shows you the exact same options it gave you on the default setting. What is the loving point of having these options when they don't do anything?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
WHY THE gently caress DO YOU ACCELERATE TO MATCH MY SPEED AS I'M OVERTAKING YOU YOU loving WEIRDO?!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

The Perfect Element posted:

WHY THE gently caress DO YOU ACCELERATE TO MATCH MY SPEED AS I'M OVERTAKING YOU YOU loving WEIRDO?!

Because then you will win. Did you forget we are in a race?

Also see: Why I refuse to let you merge.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

On both my Android devices, Google Play Store tells me every day, sometimes multiple times a day, that this app or that app has been updated, and would I like to download those updates? Then, when I see what I'll be downloading, I'll get something like this:

Why is there any date on there earlier than, like, the previous day? How was an app updated in December 2021, but I'm only being told about it now? Irritating.

Also irritating is that Phillips Hue app. We have an older hub (1st-gen, I think) that stopped working with newer versions of the app, so I'd have to manually cancel out any app updates whenever they came up. Eventually I learned that I could sign the APK, which would make it that much different from the Play Store app and thus not be identified as having an update. This worked brilliantly for years! Until some months ago, and now Google sees my old Hue app, somehow recognizes it despite my modifications, and constantly prompts me to update it. But if I okay the update, it fails, every time. UGH

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Years ago, the options on google maps for public transport used to actually work. For a long time now they haven't done poo poo. You select trains and trams and it goes "well, here's a bus". You select "less walking" or "fewest transfers" and it shows you the exact same options it gave you on the default setting. What is the loving point of having these options when they don't do anything?

Google maps is slowly deteriorating and it's sad to watch.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

When apparently you're in someone's way but they won't tell you where the gently caress they're trying to get to so you move a couple times, and they keep coming at you. Like HEY, give me a heads up where you're going and I'll move away from that thing.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Use Firefox instead, it's back to being the least lovely browser for now.

The latest Simple Practice update no longer supports Firefox, so now I'm forced to use Chrome in order to actually hear my telehealth clients. I am way more upset about this than I reasonably should be.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Perfect Element posted:

I'm sorry, bud. I have noticed myself doing this subconsciously and I drat near smacked myself the first time I realized what was happening. Far as I can tell it's just a stupid meat reaction to A Thing In My Peripheral Vision, because I hate it when it happens to me too and I try not to do it to others.

There's eight billion humans so some of em are probably just like that as well.

Phy posted:

The "friendly voice" opener script that telemarketers have been using more and more the last few years. You know, the, "hello, it's nice to hear a friendly voice" line when you answer the phone with anything short of "gently caress off and die". Even the door to door people are doing it now!

It just happened again!

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Riatsala posted:

Google maps is slowly deteriorating and it's sad to watch.

Recently I looked up a route.
Google maps suggested I walk to the train station and take the train.
It also suggested I leave 10 min earlier, to take a bus to the train station before, to take the exact same train, just from the station before.

Longer and more complex, with zero benefit.

Also it's useless for busroutes near me, because it thinks I have to walk 600m to cross the road and get to the bus stop 50m from my door.

I just use the local transit app nowadays instead of google maps.
Gotta open it anyway for the cheaper 'only pay for what you travel' tickets anyhow.
It's even got live data and position of all the buses on the road, so I can grab the bus that's 2 min delayed instead of waiting for the next one.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

SubNat posted:

I just use the local transit app nowadays instead of google maps.
Gotta open it anyway for the cheaper 'only pay for what you travel' tickets anyhow.
It's even got live data and position of all the buses on the road, so I can grab the bus that's 2 min delayed instead of waiting for the next one.
The app for public transport here looks like it has live information but evidence suggests it's actually faking it somehow because it'll tell you your bus has already passed your stop but then the bus shows up a couple of minutes later anyway and then the app says "the bus is here now" and pretends like it never said any different.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

I'm sorry, bud. I have noticed myself doing this subconsciously and I drat near smacked myself the first time I realized what was happening. Far as I can tell it's just a stupid meat reaction to A Thing In My Peripheral Vision, because I hate it when it happens to me too and I try not to do it to others.

Yeah, it's hard not to do this a little bit since as a driver you're trained to subconsciously match the speed of the cars around you. But there's a difference between "oops I sped up a little bit because the car in the side mirror was going faster" and someone that was cruising at exactly 64 for miles and miles suddenly deciding they need to do 75.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yeah, here it's just off by a few seconds and normal gps offsets.
Just checked it as 2 busses rolled in to the bus stop I can see from my window.

A couple of my colleagues work on the realtime backend for it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I love my Mom, but drat is she useless when it comes to anything related to computers.

Dad had set up Thunderbird on his Windows machine to accommodate both his and my Mom's email accounts. Somehow, Mom has managed to get herself logged out of her account and so emails can't connect to the SMTP server. No big deal, right? Just log back on. Well, for reasons that I can't quite understand, Mom neglected to write down her password. So now she's been contacting me this week asking stuff like, "How do I attach this document to my email?" and "My email won't send!". I had to explain the concept of an email password to her because she didn't understand it; the mail just always worked like magic when she logged on, I guess.

This woman is in her mid 70s. I don't know what the world will look like in another thirty-some years, but I can only hope and pray that I won't be this useless with tech when I'm her age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
The moment my mother's partner gets on the freeway she shoves her way to the passing lane, cruises at two MPH under the speed limit, and gets angry at everyone who passes her.