Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
people who get annoyed or angry when somebody has a stutter or other speech impediment deserve to be put in the fuckin pear wiggler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Man I feel like "old man yells at cloud" for coming here to post about how much automation annoys me

BUT IT loving DOES IN THIS PARTICULAR CASE!

I needed to make an order from our local wholesale warehouse. (Not Costco, but basically Costco.) I've been ordering delivery for years, since COVID, basically. The place is a good 40-minute drive from my house because it's in a town full of rich assholes who blocked any attempts for a direct route there, to keep the dirty out of towners (read: poors) from being able to go there, but I digress!

I got all my stuff into my cart and went to check out. The checkout button just redirected to my cart. Over and over, until it kicked me to a page saying basically "poo poo's hosed, son, call our customer service number."

Which already irritates me cuz why do you think I'm ordering online in the first place? I don't want to have to make a phone call, eew.

But fine whatever. I dial the number. There is no option to talk to an actual human, and none of the automated options cover "your site is loving broken, let me buy my poo poo." Even mashing 0 didn't connect me to a human. Even more irritated, I did what the system was pestering me to do and asked it to send me a link to their chat bot. I figure maybe eventually the bot will forward me to an actual human...

Except the link they sent me didn't work. Might have been blocked by my phone browser or something, but no it just didn't work. Just "this page failed to load. Please check our Internet connection." My Internet is FINE, you stupid website!

So not just irritated but actually MAD now, I dug up their email support and begged them to have an actual human read it and help me.

Motherfuckers I am trying to give you money! I am actively begging to be allowed to pay you.

PLEASE PAY SOME ACTUAL HUMAN BEINGS FOR THIS poo poo I loving BEG YOU. Or at least have the option to talk to a human being! It's slightly annoying when the option is buried 10 menus deep and you have to hold for 10 minutes to talk to anyone, but at least the option EXISTS in that case!

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Hardcordion posted:

Does no one do the polite double-beep thing where you guys live? Where I'm from if you want to use your horn in a more friendly way you give it two quick taps.

It's the automotive equivalent of loudly clearing your throat. Same *a-HEM* cadence.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My internet has been intermittent for days so I finally called my IP. They confirmed the connection issues are on their end, said they'd send someone to service it in three days, and now the connection is no longer intermittent, it's completely nonexistent.

So glad I called.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

They need to make movie seats bigger with the rampant obesity overtaking America, 70% of the audience is coming up on 300 pounds

Fat

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

oldpainless posted:

They need to make movie seats bigger with the rampant obesity overtaking America, 70% of the audience is coming up on 300 pounds

Fat

I work in an office on the third floor and I'm shocked how difficult it is for people to walk up a few stairs. It takes like 15 seconds but you still see them wait forever for the elevator to come down and bring them up to take a 2 second ride. I'm not talking about disabled or elderly, just regular sized people.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Mu Zeta posted:

I work in an office on the third floor and I'm shocked how difficult it is for people to walk up a few stairs. It takes like 15 seconds but you still see them wait forever for the elevator to come down and bring them up to take a 2 second ride. I'm not talking about disabled or elderly, just regular sized people.

It's equally crazy to me that any employee would pass up a chance to decompress waiting for/in the elevator.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Mu Zeta posted:

I feel the same way, though I understand why people may not walk the 5 floors I do. I pretty much only use the elevators if I'm walking with a coworker because I get the stinkeye when I suggest the stairs lmao

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Punkinhead posted:

It's equally crazy to me that any employee would pass up a chance to decompress waiting for/in the elevator.

Standing around waiting for something makes me anxious and restless, I decompress better if I'm moving and would rather keep moving along a more time-consuming route than sit and wait for a faster route--let alone sit and wait for a slower route.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
The longer you wait, the more likely Charlie is to pop out of the trees :ohdear:

But seriously I know what you mean. I like to feel like I'm doing something

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

oldpainless posted:

Fat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxQLPizz9sI

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Mu Zeta posted:

I’m the regular sized normal looking person. You can’t tell by looking at me that my knees are super arthritic, until you look closely at me going up or down stairs.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Every time I paste text in Google Slides, it adds two carriage returns after whatever I pasted. Why. Why would I ever want that.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Muscle Tracer posted:

Every time I paste text in Google Slides, it adds two carriage returns after whatever I pasted. Why. Why would I ever want that.

\n\r

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
There are multiple posters on this forum who regularly refer to their 'bestie', and it irritates me every time i see it.

What kind me grown adult does this. Who has a 'bestie', and even if you do, why not just call them your friend, or even your BEST friend if you really have to loving hierarchically rank your pals like you're in loving primary school.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
i refer to all non best friends as "my hoecake-rear end friend"
im gonna have a bbq with some hoecake-rear end friends in a few weeks when it gets warmer

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I refer to all my friends as "my associate".

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

One of my most intimate acquaintances.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t like bestie either. It’s not even that it’s childish it just sounds weird to me.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
Gonna have lunch with a gump-rear end friend of mine today

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
What's up my worstie?

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

sorry oomfie

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011
We’re all old, and bestie has lost its denotation. It just means friend now.

That’s my pet peeve, watching language move away from me as I march toward the grave.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Using "girlfriend" to refer to platonic friends that happen to be girls seems to have died off, at least.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I am peeved when corporate folks just mangle their metaphors horribly. Today I was told (read): "Friction holds us back. Frictionless propels us forward." Somebody doesn't know what happens to wheels in a low-friction environment!!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Muscle Tracer posted:

I am peeved when corporate folks just mangle their metaphors horribly. Today I was told (read): "Friction holds us back. Frictionless propels us forward." Somebody doesn't know what happens to wheels in a low-friction environment!!

That's such a "you're either with us or against us" thing to say anyway, what a toxic rear end message.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The song I Am Mine.

"north is to south what the clock is to time"; no it isn't. It's not. What the gently caress are you talking about? The clock is the opposite of time? It isn't.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Every direction is time if you're standing on a clock. If you keep moving forward in time you will eventually cross the Time Pole and start moving clockward.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Although I have always turned it off and kept it off on my account, Youtube is turning on autoplay for every video I'm clicking tonight. Is it a weird quirk in their system? Punishment for using NoScript? Who knows, but when I choose a setting I expect it to stay set to my preferences, Youtube.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Virtue signaling corporations telling me that I need to work harder to save the planet while selling me a one-ounce bottle of something wrapped in five pounds of plastic.

My "green" employer telling me I need to "do my part" while making me sit in traffic for 4 hours every week to attend the same Zoom meetings that I was attending when I worked remotely.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
holy poo poo someone actually used "virtue signalling" correctly

I'm... so proud... :911:

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

MightyJoe36 posted:

Virtue signaling corporations telling me that I need to work harder to save the planet while selling me a one-ounce bottle of something wrapped in five pounds of plastic.

My "green" employer telling me I need to "do my part" while making me sit in traffic for 4 hours every week to attend the same Zoom meetings that I was attending when I worked remotely.

I worked in bottle recycling at large-scale brewery for a few summers and I remember watching gallons and gallons of caustic and waste water flowing directly down the run-off drain and being pissed at Sesame Street for getting on my rear end for the wastefulness of a leaky faucet.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Every loving day at 18:54 the alarm goes off for half a minute from this lovely Scion TC that is usually parked either in front of my place or across the street

every loving day

like to the point i want to get a couple of bricks and leave one on the hood with a note under it saying "fix your loving car alarm, i have another brick"

stringless has a new favorite as of 06:11 on Apr 18, 2024

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I can hear Mass getting out across town and I realize there's only so many songs you can actually play on church bells but 5 PM is too early for Lullaby and Goodnight, Catholics.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

As someone who's been out of school for close to a decade, I was surprised to encounter this again but: lovely teachers.

My team has had a high-schooler around the last 2 weeks on work placement, where she shadowed us a bit, made a website, and made a little game.
Today, at the end of the period she had a little presentation to show off what she made for us, a couple of the HR ladies, and her teacher that came in to visit.
A bunch of us tried the game once she'd shown it off, very quick and simple 3D platformer. Then we asked the teacher if he wanted to try and it was just a blunt no, even after some prodding.

Like loving hell my guy, one of your students made a small game, you're here on the clock (and you got cake and etc), and you can't loving try a little game for 2 minutes?
Maybe he was just terrified of not looking competent or whatever? Maybe he just hates games? You're supposed to be way more familiar and supportive of her than us (some rando IT dudes), and you just loving shut her down like that infront of strangers?
No loving wonder she was worried about doing a presentation about what she'd done, if this is the kind of reception she gets for anything at school.

I dunno, just left a real sour note in my mouth at the end of the day.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Bad gym rules are a pet peeve of mine. I moved about a year ago and the only gym near me is the equivalent of a Planet Fitness (complete with lunk alarm!) and the rules seem to be less about proper gym etiquette and more about pushing away more serious lifters and keeping only the New Year's / beach body crowd.

Obviously the worst offender is the aforementioned lunk alarm which, for the uninitiated, is an alarm that goes off when someone drops a weight, which, for the uninitiated, is a cool and normal thing to do in most cases. The actual thing to avoid is letting a weight stack drop in a machine which a ton of people do and big surprise, there's a never ending rotation of broken machines, but apparently that's fine. Don't let a plate of loving raw iron fall on the padded floor though, that's bad!

Mandatory towels also seem arbitrary. I think that it's meant to remind people to wipe their machines after use but every gym that I've been to in the last 20 years have had spray bottles with disinfectant and wipes. The problem is that mandatory towels make people believe that vaguely waving their sweat drenched towel close to their bench is sufficient which it has never been but especially not since 2020.

I've also always been a bit puzzled by the "Absolutely no personal trainer" rule. Every gym I've been to has had that rule, even those that didn't offer trainers or programs. Luckily I've never seen it enforced but it seems really weird to me.

Finally, not a rule but a trend I've noticed in cheaper gyms: they never have enough 45s but they have a million 35s, which is a plate that I had never seen before going to Planet Fitness. It's not a huge deal but it kinda fits with the idea of driving away more serious lifters who will always run out of 45s (because of bros leg pressing 900 lbs with no ROM) and aren't used to counting with 35s.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Dumb question, but what does dropping weights even mean/entail? I don't lift, so I have no idea what that involves.

Like you're taking the weights off a machine and just dropping them on the floor like thud? Or is it when you're lifting a barbell and when you put it down it kinda clangs on the floor a bit?

The former I could see as being reasonable, the latter would be like, what? Weightlifting is hard and noises happen!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Silver Falcon posted:

Dumb question, but what does dropping weights even mean/entail? I don't lift, so I have no idea what that involves.

Like you're taking the weights off a machine and just dropping them on the floor like thud? Or is it when you're lifting a barbell and when you put it down it kinda clangs on the floor a bit?

The former I could see as being reasonable, the latter would be like, what? Weightlifting is hard and noises happen!

It's most common in the deadlift and a lot of the Olympic lifts, where it's arguably less safe to lower the bar slowly. This is less true of the deadlift but it's definitely the safe option in Oly lifts like the snatch, which end with a very heavy bar above your head.

I think gym rules are a bit weird to get peeved about but some of that is deffo a bit overbearing. I'm lucky enough to have space for a home gym and 500lbs of freeweights, I never have to worry about gym etiquette or the various meat heads you meet in them.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

There's also people that will set up on some dumbbell exercise and just dump the DB when the set is done. Which can bend or break the handles if they land on a corner. Which any gym would discourage.

Also it seems like the planet fitness type rules are there to keep people away because they are. Commercial gyms make most of their money from absentee members who pay their monthly fee just to say they have one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Mister Speaker posted:

I think gym rules are a bit weird to get peeved about but some of that is deffo a bit overbearing. I'm lucky enough to have space for a home gym and 500lbs of freeweights, I never have to worry about gym etiquette or the various meat heads you meet in them.
I think the main reason it annoys me so much is that the rules are basically made to annoy me into choosing another gym (which I can't) and to cater to a clientele that, I'm a bit ashamed to admit, also annoys me. I also feel like these rules encourage a lot of bad gym habits like never reaching failure, never overloading, never using free weights, etc. I also used to have my home gym so, yeah, it's a bit infuriating to go back to someone else's rules.

Honestly I kinda know I'm in the wrong and it feels like complaining that there's no deadlifting platform at Curves (Does Curves still exist?) but I don't really have a choice of gym at the moment so I decided to yell at the Internet for a bit.