Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
My pet peeve is that I'm an overweight 35 year old, and almost everyone else at my gym is younger, sexier and stronger than I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

The Perfect Element posted:

My pet peeve is that I'm an overweight 35 year old, and almost everyone else at my gym is younger, sexier and stronger than I am.

Have you tried Planet Fitness?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Have you tried Planet Fitness?

Lol

Tbf I did try a cheaper, more casual gym, and actually being surrounded by a bunch of scruffy porkers was way worse.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Nothing is more annoying than dropping stuff. Goddamn, I hate it so much.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

You guys just have it so easy. My biggest pet peeve is when some asswipe invalidates another's pet peeve.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Can you really invalidate a pet peeve though?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Gyms are awful. Humans weren't designed to stay in an office all day to push papers around and then go to another building to lift stuff while being stationary. You have permission to go the gym if it's snowing or raining, otherwise go outside.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

Gyms are awful. Humans weren't designed to stay in an office all day to push papers around and then go to another building to lift stuff while being stationary. You have permission to go the gym if it's snowing or raining, otherwise go outside.

i'm going to exercise in the air conditioning and you can't stop me

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I got some of them gym pet peeves.

Anyone that "claims" a machine they aren't using. Usually they like leave stuff on one while using another.

People grabbing a machine for either just a chair or to carry on a conversation.

People that scream or moan for every rep.

Basically just any loud noise that could have been avoided, which includes why there's lunk alarms, bros hucking their weights down to make it clear to all that it was a lot of weight.

People cutting their hair in the locker room, like not even over a trash can somewhere, just raining hair on the floor.

Guys that want to fist bump you while you're doing reps already. Or at all.

The apparent requirement that all tvs at all times in every gym be showing the Pat MacAfee show.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

theironjef posted:

People cutting their hair in the locker room, like not even over a trash can somewhere, just raining hair on the floor.
yo what the gently caress?

That's at least as bad as old dudes letting it all hang out

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
All your gym peeves makes me that much more happy to have gotten my own room and build myself a gym to my liking. The only peeve I have about it that it doesn't have hating and get slightly cold in the winter. And that I need to clean it myself.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Mu Zeta posted:

I guess I get where you're coming from but (obviously) I disagree. You're kinda right if you're strictly speaking about cardiovascular health in the sense that you don't need a gym membership to do physical activity in general but gyms have more advantages than "a roof".

Even if you stick with the bare essentials, yes, you can run outside for free, but if you take my own situation as an example; I can't run for more than 5 minutes before hitting a stroad, it's below freezing for 4 months out of the year and it's raining for about a third of the rest and even under the best of conditions it's not particularly pleasant to run in a city. Running inside on a treadmill allows you to run under the same conditions every day of the year, you don't have to dodge cars or wait at traffic lights and the terrain is as even as you want it to be. Bonus: you can watch TV as you run and if you get unexpectedly tired or injured you can stop anytime and be 30 seconds away from your car, which are great incentives for people who want to start being more active.

Gym equipment can also be great at targeting specific movements or muscles, so if you're trying to regain function after an injury or overcoming a particular weakness, machines can be great at that.

Then there's the fact that weightlifting is a sport (actually, multiple sports!) by itself. "Going outside" isn't much help if you want to get better at the snatch or stronger at the bench press.

Finally, I don't know how much of an elephant in the room it is, but a lot of people like the effect that weightlifting has on their appearance. As vain as you might think it is, it's a great motivator for a lot of people. I also believe that, next to dietary changes, body building is the best way to lose body fat / retain muscle mass. In fact, telling someone who's overweight and trying to lose weight to just "go outside" can be pretty bad advice.

I hope this doesn't come off as aggressive, it's just that your comment triggered memories from the 6 months in 2018 when "functional training" was a fad and anything that wasn't 100% translatable into a daily task was seen as an absolute waste of time.

I also want to make it clear that I don't think everybody should do resistance training. I do think it's underrated in some ways, especially RE: body recomposition, but I know that it's not for everyone. However, it's a perfectly legit form of physical activity.

Just don't go to Planet Fitness.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

CordlessPen posted:

the 6 months in 2018 when "functional training" was a fad and anything that wasn't 100% translatable into a daily task was seen as an absolute waste of time

God I hate this. IDK if it was even that short a trend; I still have people talking down to me about 'functional strength' in TYOOL 2024. And they don't know what the gently caress they're talking about, it's so embarrassing to even engage these people in conversation because they're so obsessed with their XFit WODs and how much 'better' they are than regular weightlifting.

Newsflash: ALL strength is functional. Just because I'm not hitting a tractor tire with a sledgehammer and flipping it over, doesn't mean I'm not gaining strength. Squatting heavy has absolutely helped me in my daily life, helping friends move or loading subwoofers into a van or kicking someone out of a bar.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I have a similar pet peeve in cooking, it annoys me when someone dismisses an alternative method of doing something because it doesn't match their personal preferences. Celebrate that people are cooking, help them to do it safely, maybe don't lose your mind over what they put in chili.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Riatsala posted:

Celebrate that people are cooking, help them to do it safely, maybe don't lose your mind over what they put in chili.

This is largely true, especially with something as loosely defined as chili, but when someone makes a chili that contains no chilis, meat, tomatoes, or beans I have to wonder what they're trying to prove.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I hate it when a phone buzzes in a movie. Even though it might only be for a split second, I think someone is calling me irl and causes a tiny pang of anxiety

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The Perfect Element posted:

I hate it when a phone buzzes in a movie. Even though it might only be for a split second, I think someone is calling me irl and causes a tiny pang of anxiety

My work phone's stock apple sounds have instilled a pavlovian reaction in me. Whether it's dings in shows or movies or skits or even my girlfriend adding poo poo on pintrest. I hate it

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Arrath posted:

My work phone's stock apple sounds have instilled a pavlovian reaction in me. Whether it's dings in shows or movies or skits or even my girlfriend adding poo poo on pintrest. I hate it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ouXNzRkh40

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The tiniest of ants have found some ingress directly behind my kitchen sink, and they're on promenade around my prep counter. I can't figure out where the gently caress they're getting in. It's gross, I hate this!

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
I had to get a new phone number and it has led to insane amounts of spam calls. Old number got one or two per day. Price of doing business. New number gets loving six or eight per hour minimum. It makes the phone function of my phone more or less useless. Basically all calls are immediately denied and then I’ll listen to the 1/20 that leaves a voicemail or text.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Brawnfire posted:

The tiniest of ants have found some ingress directly behind my kitchen sink, and they're on promenade around my prep counter. I can't figure out where the gently caress they're getting in. It's gross, I hate this!

Ugh, yeah I get those in the summer sometimes. Ants that small can basically squeeze through anything. Get some Terro bait stations, they work wonders. Ants will be drawn to it and take it back to the nest.

For my own peeve:
Last summer, I bought some new Ray-Bans. Maybe a month later, the nose pad fell off. I was on vacation at the time, so figured I'd file a warranty claim when I got home. Well, I couldn't find them when I got home, and thought I must have left them in the vacation rental. But then just last week, I found them in my car! Still in the Ray-Ban case, at the very bottom of the little pouch behind the passenger's seat.

I go online to try and file a warranty claim, and naturally, they want a sales receipt or online order #.

But...it's just NOT in my gmail. I have no idea why or how. I never delete anything from there, but I searched for anything from Ray-Ban, or anything with the word "sunglasses", or even just the word "order" from the time period I bought them, and after filtering through TONS of all the other crap I ordered in those months...still didn't find it.

I went to the Ray-Ban site and I guess I ordered them as a "guest" and didn't make an account; because it didn't recognize my email when I tried to do a PW reset.

A single nose pad is $5, and there's $8 for shipping (?!), and it's just annoying that I KNOW I ordered them online from Ray-Ban, but can't prove it. And I'm wondering if it's worth spending $13 to fix them when I've already gotten a couple pairs of "good enough" sun glasses.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm sure it's been done ITT, but the trend of movie trailers taking a popular song and remixing it into some cinematic piece, is something I hate.

There must be a term for it more apt than 'remix', even though that's technically correct it just seems insulting to the idea of remixing. They'll chop up familiar lyrics and licks to punctuate moments onscreen and it fucks with the meter in my head and just makes me angry.

The most recent example is Any Way You Want It being used in the Fall Guy trailer. Now I'm not a huge Journey fan by any means but I do like that song (more than their other big hits anyway) and hearing it like that just bugs me. I think there is maybe one example of it being done remotely tastefully; Something in the Way by Nirvana in The Batman soundtrack - but IIRC that's because it was actually used in the film at a few moments which somehow, to me, lent credence to the lyrical content's relatability. You'd think using White Rabbit in the Matrix: Resurrections would have been more apt, but it felt cornball.

Pink Floyd's Eclipse in the new DUNE trailers made me - for a brief moment - consider not seeing the film in theatres, and that's a big deal for me.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's unironcially my favorite thing and I vastly prefer the trailer versions lol

I really love trailer music in general. Helps me write stories.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

White Rabbit in the Matrix: Resurrections would have been more apt, but it felt cornball.

God that song is in EVERYTHING

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Brawnfire posted:

God that song is in EVERYTHING

Maybe that's why I harbour an irrational disdain towards it (and, come to think of it, a lot of other big 60s/70s music like most of Dark Side of the Moon): I went to a burnout highschool where EVERYONE went through a 'let's get baked and listen to our parents' music' phase. Some never left, still on some poo poo like "have you ever seen Dark Side of Oz... on weed?" Yes dude, yes I have, we watched it together in tenth grade, even synced up the vinyl record to the VHS tape ourselves. It didn't 'sync' for poo poo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That sounds fun tbh

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

CelticPredator posted:

That sounds fun tbh

It is when you're 15 years old and every joint gets you higher than you've ever been or will ever be again.

You could load up an Air Supply album and a taped episode of 60 Minutes and I'd tell you that poo poo synced up.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I was just on a site with a google ad that covered most of the content, so I hit the X.

It asks me if I want to close the ad. I say loving obviously.

It asks WHY. One option is "ad covered content", so I select that.

The ad is replaced by a white box of the same dimensions as the original ad, saying "ad closed by Google". It's still covering the content.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Brawnfire posted:

I was just on a site with a google ad that covered most of the content, so I hit the X.

It asks me if I want to close the ad. I say loving obviously.

It asks WHY. One option is "ad covered content", so I select that.

The ad is replaced by a white box of the same dimensions as the original ad, saying "ad closed by Google". It's still covering the content.

https://ublockorigin.com

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Am I able to use that on a mobile browser? (Chrome on an Android device) Everything I've seen about it says it's not applicable/mobile chrome doesn't have extension support. If that's not the case I'd be very happy, but this isn't really my wheelhouse.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

There are forks of Chrome for Android that let you install extensions as normal, though I'm not sure what the preferred one is these days.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

You can use it on Mobile Firefox and I think some others.

The built-in adblock on mobile Vivaldi works reasonably well for me at the moment. There are other more elaborate strategies you can use to block ads systemwide on Android phones but I'm not really up on them.

I really need to get around to finally cutting Chrome entirely out of my life since they're killing adblockers in their desktop browser soon.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

There's an experimental Manifest V3 version of uBlock that already works pretty well, though I'm still going to stop using Chrome on everything as soon as my ancient Chromebook finally dies.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Brawnfire posted:

Am I able to use that on a mobile browser? (Chrome on an Android device) Everything I've seen about it says it's not applicable/mobile chrome doesn't have extension support. If that's not the case I'd be very happy, but this isn't really my wheelhouse.

I switched to Firefox with ublock because Chrome became literally unusable on mobile due to ads. It works the same as chrome used to but now I can actually read a website without trying to peer through the slit between strobing pop-ups and autplaying videos

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I'll have to give that a try. I used to use Firefox back in the 00's, it'll be nostalgic!

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

theironjef posted:

I got some of them gym pet peeves.

Anyone that "claims" a machine they aren't using. Usually they like leave stuff on one while using another.

People grabbing a machine for either just a chair or to carry on a conversation.

I use an outdoor gym and do calisthenics and idiots still do this poo poo. There's one bench with an bar for inverted rows, and there's about a 50/50 chance some jackass whose backpack is apparently too good to set on the rubber parquet ground will set his poo poo on it and then proceed to not use that piece of equipment at all. Then when I tell him* to move it so I can get my work in he'll usually act exasperated like it's some huge imposition for him to not bar others from working out. Guys will also ride up on bicycles and then proceed to lock their bikes to the pull up bars or balance beams again blocking from using it. It's infuriating, how do you look at the entirety of the outdoors and decide to pick the only spots that get in everyone's way??? gently caress!

*It is always without fail a guy. True there aren't many women who work out at this spot, but whenever I see any they never seize the equipment as a personal storage space.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

When people say a word multiple times in a statement and then somehow forget it...?

"Yeah so I bought the chair and put the chair in my car, drove home with the chair and brought the chair up the stairs. Then I put the, uh... the... uhh...."

Me, thinking: Well, it obviously can't be "chair", they just said "chair" like five times. Must be something else.

"The uhhh CHAIR"

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Dopilsya posted:

how do you look at the entirety of the outdoors and decide to pick the only spots that get in everyone's way??? gently caress!

Most people have the self awareness of a toddler in a grocery store. One of my biggest pet peeves too.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I try to be aware of my surroundings, stay out of people's way, and don't constantly plow into poo poo while walking, so my co-workers get upset and say that I "move too quietly". Do you want me to wear a loving bell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Brawnfire posted:

When people say a word multiple times in a statement and then somehow forget it...?

"Yeah so I bought the chair and put the chair in my car, drove home with the chair and brought the chair up the stairs. Then I put the, uh... the... uhh...."

Me, thinking: Well, it obviously can't be "chair", they just said "chair" like five times. Must be something else.

"The uhhh CHAIR"

Ohhhh these must be the people who are so angry about pronouns.