Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Luckily I never have to worry about that because public transit will never happen in Texas and it's like the 5th in line of important issues to even worry about here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

The Perfect Element posted:

WHY THE gently caress DO YOU ACCELERATE TO MATCH MY SPEED AS I'M OVERTAKING YOU YOU loving WEIRDO?!

Why do you drive up my rear end in the left lane, then take all day to pass me when I move over?

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Phy posted:

The "friendly voice" opener script that telemarketers have been using more and more the last few years. You know, the, "hello, it's nice to hear a friendly voice" line when you answer the phone with anything short of "gently caress off and die". Even the door to door people are doing it now!

Which is great because it'll be like, someone is hammering on the door like I owe them money, I open the door with an expression on my face like I've just stepped in cat puke with my sock feet, and they'll have the nerve to lead with "OH HI THERE it's so nice to see a friendly face!" Motherfucker this is my tricked face, the way you were knocking I was gearing myself up to tell a cop to get a warrant.

I know, I know, joke's on me for doing boomer poo poo like answering phones and opening doors.

Ever since I installed a security camera at my front door, the number of door-to-door people have decreased dramatically.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I had to explain the concept of an email password to her because she didn't understand it; the mail just always worked like magic when she logged on, I guess.
A while back I had to go some dumb "Employability Skills Training program" and there was an old guy there who was like this. He couldn't get to his email on a computer because he insisted that his email was "on his phone", but he'd just got a new phone and his email wasn't working. He only knew the password for the phone, not his email, and could not comprehend that his email was in some way separate to his phone. We'd tell him he needed to reset his google password to access his gmail account and he'd just be like "Why would google know my password?" Could not seem to comprehend how email works. Seemed to think that emails to him, somehow, got sent directly to his phone.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Tiggum posted:

gmail account and he'd just be like "Why would google know my password?"

Ah! That's the point where you start to explain how hashes and salting works!!! You'll have a great conversation.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Tiggum posted:

A while back I had to go some dumb "Employability Skills Training program" and there was an old guy there who was like this. He couldn't get to his email on a computer because he insisted that his email was "on his phone", but he'd just got a new phone and his email wasn't working. He only knew the password for the phone, not his email, and could not comprehend that his email was in some way separate to his phone. We'd tell him he needed to reset his google password to access his gmail account and he'd just be like "Why would google know my password?" Could not seem to comprehend how email works. Seemed to think that emails to him, somehow, got sent directly to his phone.

Similarly: When I was guiding her through the process of attaching a document to an email, I asked Mom where the document was saved. "It's saved in Word!". No, Mom: where on the computer is it stored? She eventually found it in her Documents, but I also had to explain the idea that a document being saved on the hard drive is different from the program used to write it.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Similarly: When I was guiding her through the process of attaching a document to an email, I asked Mom where the document was saved. "It's saved in Word!". No, Mom: where on the computer is it stored? She eventually found it in her Documents, but I also had to explain the idea that a document being saved on the hard drive is different from the program used to write it.

This is a losing battle with the younger generations too, and an evergreen topic for lots of threads. Tablets tend to obscure the filesystem to the point where an iPad, for example, pretends it doesn't have one until it's plugged into a computer. Mobile apps wall their little gardens so that your info is absolutely trapped. Make a note in Evernote? That's where it lives now, the only way to get it out is to export it, which is buried in a submenu.

Microsoft is doing the same with Office365. Documents are ephemeral, they're saved somewhere (OneDrive or SharePoint) but the apps do their damnedest to obfuscate that fact. Saving to the local machine is an option, but a scary popup comes up and says you might lose your work if you do so. It's bad and it's only going to get worse.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

This is a losing battle with the younger generations too, and an evergreen topic for lots of threads. Tablets tend to obscure the filesystem to the point where an iPad, for example, pretends it doesn't have one until it's plugged into a computer. Mobile apps wall their little gardens so that your info is absolutely trapped. Make a note in Evernote? That's where it lives now, the only way to get it out is to export it, which is buried in a submenu.

Microsoft is doing the same with Office365. Documents are ephemeral, they're saved somewhere (OneDrive or SharePoint) but the apps do their damnedest to obfuscate that fact. Saving to the local machine is an option, but a scary popup comes up and says you might lose your work if you do so. It's bad and it's only going to get worse.

It's a vicious cycle. The less people know, the more "idiot proof" the software has to be, but that leads to users knowing less which leads to the software getting simplified which leads to users knowing less and so on. And so you get user interfaces that are designed to guess what you want and deliver that no matter what you say so the most common use cases are simple and anything even slightly out of the ordinary is impossible.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Indolent Bastard posted:

Also see: Why I refuse to let you merge.

Any time some doofus rides my bumper, especially in a place where there's 2-3 lanes & they could easily pass, I set my cruise at or around 2-3mph above the limit because gently caress 'em.

Only time I ever have issues with anyone trying to merge is the last minute construction zone assholes. You had a least a half mile to get your poo poo together & waited until you nearly plowed into some cones/barrels to drop anchor & put on your signal? Have fun sitting there like an incompetent jackass, then.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

We've had multiple people in our office lose files because they chose not to save them in a OneDrive location, and then Word/Excel/the laptop crashed and, since Office now ONLY auto saves in OneDrive folders they lost a bunch of work. Sometimes the document retrieval/looking for the temp files in the hidden working folder works, but not always.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I've heard that this is the case, and it just makes me feel old because my first experience with computing was staring at a DOS prompt (no doubt why Linux terminal is so comfortable to me). It's the inevitable outcome: as a technology becomes more widely adopted, you need to know less about its inner workings to be able to use it. Case in point: cars.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Only time I ever have issues with anyone trying to merge is the last minute construction zone assholes. You had a least a half mile to get your poo poo together & waited until you nearly plowed into some cones/barrels to drop anchor & put on your signal? Have fun sitting there like an incompetent jackass, then.

You're supposed to zipper to improve the flow of traffic (and our local dot puts up signs to this effect) but goons aren't ready for that derail.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Yeah I keep harping on this and no one listens to me. "Little Billy is so good with computers, why, he's been glued to an iPad since he was 2!"

No he's a relatively proficient app driver. For example, a friend's kid wanted a 3d printer, so his mom got a used one from a friend of hers and gave it to him for his 13th birthday. He plugged it into his computer and it didn't work immediately, so he threw his hands up in the air, proclaimed it was trash, and went back to poo poo talking other kids in roblox. Not an ounce of curiosity to delve into the problem, not a whit of troubleshooting sense or even an idea where to start poking at the error. Kid has an ancient refurbished dell office computer and it gets poo poo for frames in roblox so I've been trying to help him research a new computer, whether another refurb that he can toss my old 2080 into, or something more involved like research and piece together a new build himself. Nah he rebuffs my attempts to help teach him about system requirements and how to look up what he needs and just wants an Amazon link.

Then there's people at work who are so helpless that they can't spell "idle" without spellcheck and have no ability to keep and organize files, constantly asking me to resend things so when I shoot it over on Teams I get a popup that I've already sent this file would I like to resend the old one or change this one's name to 2024 Q1 report (7) and send it?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I am an American living in Canada, so while I pay most of my taxes in Canada, I owe the US a pittance each year. This year I owe the IRS $71.

In Canada, if you want to pay taxes to the government, you enter "the government" in the bill pay section of your online bank, enter you SIN, and pay.

In America, you have to enter your entire life's history on a web form, which refuses to validate, so you have to sign up to pay $5 to some company to let you pay with a credit card, only to find out that they need the same life history and also can't validate it, so you try to sign up for an IRS account but they need a scan of your passport but you can't upload it from your computer you have to use your phone and they need a picture of your face for "liveness detection" but their app isn't compatible with your default web browser so you have to restart the process in a different browser and then since you don't have a US address you actually have to schedule a video call and submit two additional forms of identity verification. And, presumably, this is going to fail too for some inscrutable reason.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In a lot of European countries you just go to a web form that's already filled out and check if there's any errors and if there isn't you just click "OK" until its done. Takes maybe 5 minutes (longer if you run a business and/or are a contractor but then you probably pay someone else to do that for you.).

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Muscle Tracer posted:

I am an American living in Canada, so while I pay most of my taxes in Canada, I owe the US a pittance each year. This year I owe the IRS $71.

In Canada, if you want to pay taxes to the government, you enter "the government" in the bill pay section of your online bank, enter you SIN, and pay.

In America, you have to enter your entire life's history on a web form, which refuses to validate, so you have to sign up to pay $5 to some company to let you pay with a credit card, only to find out that they need the same life history and also can't validate it, so you try to sign up for an IRS account but they need a scan of your passport but you can't upload it from your computer you have to use your phone and they need a picture of your face for "liveness detection" but their app isn't compatible with your default web browser so you have to restart the process in a different browser and then since you don't have a US address you actually have to schedule a video call and submit two additional forms of identity verification. And, presumably, this is going to fail too for some inscrutable reason.

Welcome to America and dealing with the federal government.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

A great side-effect of this is that none of my boomer clients knows how to attach a file to a loving email anymore. Everything is a MS365-generated "share" link that I don't have permissions to access and they can't give me permissions to access because they aren't the "document owner".

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The Perfect Element posted:

WHY THE gently caress DO YOU ACCELERATE TO MATCH MY SPEED AS I'M OVERTAKING YOU YOU loving WEIRDO?!

The version of this I hate is when I need to merge over and sometimes will try and get behind someone, but they also slow down to match my speed and refuse to let me over.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Does anyone else think people have become worse drivers overall since the pandemic? I see more people barreling through red lights and dicking around with their phones while driving now more than ever, like everyone either just quit caring or they got the brain worms real bad

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Hey Verizon, stop installing random games alongside phone updates, tia.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

root beer posted:

Does anyone else think people have become worse drivers overall since the pandemic? I see more people barreling through red lights and dicking around with their phones while driving now more than ever, like everyone either just quit caring or they got the brain worms real bad

Definitely.

Far worse lane/roundabout discipline, worse use of signals, much more evidence (or direct sightings) of people on their phones, much less attention to who should have priority in narrow streets or at junctions and far more people doing a consistent 45mph whether that's in a 30mph limit in a village or a 60mph open road.

And noticeably more chance of people getting angry at impediments or encounters.

I dunno if the aftereffects of the pandemic meant that we've got loads of people driving around with reduced brain oxygen levels, or if the lockdowns and WFH just broke a portion of the population's social skills and turned them into hyper-individualist psychopaths. Or a lot of people lost the 'muscle memory' for how to drive. Or they now resent having to commute into the office again and don't give a poo poo.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Pretty sure there was data on the road being much more dangerous after 2020, at least in the US. People do fly through my intersection all the time, and this is basically a residential area with schools down the street north and south.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I moved to Eugene Oregon two years ago and one thing I've noticed about this place that's different from everywhere else I lived (unless it's a global change post-pandemic) is that people stop their cars on the crosswalk. As though the crosswalk is the designated place to park the front of your car while waiting for a light. Sometimes this happens and I think, well, I guess this might help with vision, to check traffic coming left or right, but no, it's everywhere, it's on one-way streets with no intersection, it's anywhere there's a crosswalk. People stop their goddamn cars on the crosswalk, which means me as a dumbass pedestrian has to walk into the street if I want to cross. It's so common here that I honestly am not sure if maybe people were taught you're supposed to do that?

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
Trying to get anything shipped to me (I live in Alaska) is such a crapshoot for timing. I always make sure to order stuff well in advance of when I could potentially need it, but it's still frustrating to switch over to the package tracker and it'll happily tell me "Your package will be there on/by [date]" then that date will come and go with no sign of the package, so the tracker just updates to "Tracking Unavailable" or something along those lines and I just want to throttle the site. If you don't know when it's gonna be here, just say that! As long as the package isn't lost, just tell me it's on its way and move on!

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

root beer posted:

Absolutely, thank gently caress I'm not bike commuting anymore. Someday I'll become rich and famous when I develop a wireless device that causes people's phones to bootlock to a photo of goatse if they use them while driving.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

root beer posted:

They absolutely have, a study was done in my city where they saw like a 200%+ increase in speeding & car accidents since everything reopened. People barreling down 40mph streets doing almost 100, weaving/racing on the interstate & just in general being way more lovely. Similar to how people got worse with service workers because they had to spend a few months not taking their fat aggression out on some poor teenager for a perceived mistake/transgression.

credburn posted:

I moved to Eugene Oregon two years ago and one thing I've noticed about this place that's different from everywhere else I lived (unless it's a global change post-pandemic) is that people stop their cars on the crosswalk. As though the crosswalk is the designated place to park the front of your car while waiting for a light. Sometimes this happens and I think, well, I guess this might help with vision, to check traffic coming left or right, but no, it's everywhere, it's on one-way streets with no intersection, it's anywhere there's a crosswalk. People stop their goddamn cars on the crosswalk, which means me as a dumbass pedestrian has to walk into the street if I want to cross. It's so common here that I honestly am not sure if maybe people were taught you're supposed to do that?

Not just an Oregon thing, I live in the midwest & see this all the time. Plus watching people pull a full car length or more past stop signs & drop anchor in the middle of an intersection.

BOOTY-ADE has a new favorite as of 20:24 on Apr 5, 2024

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

People in supermarkets/bookstores/etc walking around with AirPods in. It seems at least half the people are wearing them and seem oblivious to anything going on. Yesterday I actually saw two people round corners and slammed right into each other both wearing AirPods. It looked like one of the dudes jacked his ankle up pretty bad lol

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

BalloonFish posted:

I dunno if the aftereffects of the pandemic meant that we've got loads of people driving around with reduced brain oxygen levels

I'm still seeing lots of people come to a stop at a stop sign and then not leave for several minutes, which I never saw before 2020.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Dip Viscous posted:

I'm still seeing lots of people come to a stop at a stop sign and then not leave for several minutes, which I never saw before 2020.

Gotta browse that Gram, bud.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Dip Viscous posted:

This is INSANELY common.

The other day I got to the end of my little residential street and a guy was just... there. I ended up actually having to go around them. They were there in the driver's seat, looking like they were just... well, "there", again.

Something about my street in particular seems to atrract some bizarre car behaviors. I was in my garden clearing up some dead poo poo when a guy comes from one end of the street at a roaring 50mph careen, slowed to a full stop in front of my house, then sped back up to fifty before reaching the other end of the street. And again, the dude just had the blankest face. I think that's what gets me the most, is people doing hosed-up random things and having a face like it's all normal, like maybe they're even watching events from a distance instead of driving.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

They’re on drugs OP

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

There's another pet peeve: People going down my street on drugs without offering me any.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Same deal, they aren't on their phones or anything, they're just looking straight ahead at nothing. I walk past these people almost weekly.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

There's another pet peeve: People going down my street on drugs without offering me any.

Hell yeah, D.A.R.E. lied

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Step family porn. There's so much of it, and it shows up no matter what you search for. Not my cup of tea.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I live on a frontage road and it becomes a parking lot for work vehicles so often that it seems like one half of the street owns landscaping companies and the other half has the non-emergency police number on speed dial, because two giant trucks belonging to the same guy parked across the narrow street from each other and turned into into an impassible road again. It's always for like days, too. Just park em, leave em, and don't worry if you literally blocked off the narrow road, no one lives on this residential street.

The worst bit is the church at the end of the street that's been adding a building for like eight months now. Whole section there is bumper to bumper dumptrucks on either side of the street. You can just barely squeeze through between them, but it's like six trucks long so if anyone turns in from the intersection, one of you is awkwardly backing up out of the forced game of chicken. I'm far enough away that it doesn't get me, but I've seen cops come and make them move the trucks, they just put them in the parking lot of the church for one day and then right back to the street.

theironjef has a new favorite as of 23:26 on Apr 5, 2024

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Guy on a motorcycle rolled up blasting his speakers so loud that there's no way he actually heard me shouting "loving HELL MAN, ARE YOU DEAF OR JUST UGLY?!" from the sidewalk. The woman riding on the back just smiled at me obliviously as I scowled and pointed angrily at my ears. I failed at being mean.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

deoju posted:

There's so much of it, and it shows up no matter what you search for.

This is what I keep telling my work.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Pomme de Terror posted:

Trying to get anything shipped to me (I live in Alaska) is such a crapshoot for timing.

I understand it's at a totally different scale, but the same poo poo happens to me and I live in Orlando, less than an hour from massive hubs for Amazon, UPS, and FedEx. Overnight means two to three days. Two to three days means a week. A week might be two. I can only imagine the distance multiplies the time.

Also, the work truck thing is only getting worse as work trucks and work vans reliably expand year over year. Our shortest work vans are Promaster Citys, which they don't make anymore and are 16 feet long, which is longer than any parking spot laid out before 2000. Ford's trucks are even longer, and getting longer and larger every year. We do super specialized stuff so we only send one to each site normally, but when I worked in waterproofing we'd routinely need to bring 4-6 vehicles to a site because each one only seats two people. Multiply this by 5 for all the different contractors on a site and even a small residential construction site has to find (offsite) parking for 20+ massive vehicles just to have workers with hand tools on site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

So for the last several days, my online banking app just hasn't worked.

Today I tried and it said "The Mobile Banking App is Sporadically Unavailable"

...yeah, no loving poo poo. So you can just say that and it's okay? You're not gonna, say, fix it?