Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Dr Scoofles posted:

My friend is an extreme case of a person who never answers the phone. Last week she texted me to come over as she had an electrician coming to her house and she didn't want to be alone with a stranger. Fair enough, I head on over and we wait for him to arrive. Her phone starts ringing and she's standing there with it in her hand but won't answer it. 'It's probably the electrician' I tell her, as he's late and her house can be hard to find. She still refused to pick up, saying something like 'Well it might be him... But how can I be sure?' The electrician did eventually show up and said he had gotten lost and had tried calling as he desperately needed directions, my friend lied and said she never heard her phone ring.

Only time I won't answer is if it's a number I don't recognize - otherwise, no reason to not pick up. On that note, people who call from an unknown/unrecognized number and don't leave a message. I'd say a solid 95% of the people I know are in my phone by name, and there have been times I'll get a string of calls in the span of 5 minutes with no voicemail left. And most times it's when I can't or won't pick up, like when I'm at work or driving my car :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Assholes that get worked up and defensive over a question or suggestion and act like you just broke into their house and murdered their family. Happened a few times at my job when people have given feedback on processes or procedures that are flawed, and whomever came up with them acts like their poo poo's perfect and nobody should question it. Learn to take some constructive criticism and stop being a whiny bitch :argh:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Grocery stores that put all their produce as close to their front doors as possible. With the change in temperatures, I constantly see places swapping out rotten or moldy food because the store is air conditioned at like 75ºF, but people are constantly walking in and out during 90-100º+ degree days. Even worse, places like loving Walmart of all stores that will let the food get moldy and rotten and just sit there to spread to everything else. Mmm...those fuzzy green mushy strawberries look so appetizing, as do the rotten, bruised, lovely apples or withering oranges right across the aisle. :barf:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

KoB posted:

People who take criticism as an insult.

This, especially in the workplace - tying in with that, people getting defensive or passive-aggressively bitchy when someone points out a flaw in their process, or suggests a different way of doing something. I left my previous job for that exact reason, 2 particular assholes on our networking/projects teams thought their poo poo didn't stink, and when something broke (because their poo poo DID stink) and it was called into question, they'd piss and moan and blame someone/something else. Worst part was they had tenure with the company and upper management would always take their side without even asking questions or looking into anything. The last times it happened before I quit, one incident was an email where I asked a question about a remote tool we used, another was asking about a ticket that sat on our networking team's board for 2 weeks while I had a client bitching me out every other day.

No surprise that I was the 9th person to give my notice and leave in less than 5 months. gently caress that place and gently caress those jerkoffs.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

CrotchDropJeans posted:

Sanctimommies. You know what I'm talking about, the "What kind of mother would use disposable diapers, I guess I love Kaidlyn and MacKelznie too much to do that to them!" poo poo. I don't have any kids, but I'm at the age where a lot of my friends and acquaintances do, and some of them are real dicks about it. Once I posted on Facebook that I was having kind of a lovely day and this turbobitch posted this smug-rear end screed about how I actually don't know what it's like to have a bad day at all until I've woken up at 4AM with a feverish toddler. I wasn't even vaguebooking, I actually stated the reason why I was having a lovely day (caring for Alzheimer's patient and trying to keep a huge house clean) and IMO it's a pretty loving legitimate thing to feel lovely and complain about. Anyways, I love children, but I hate people who are smug pricks about basic biological processes.

Also I really loathe the phrase "fair enough." It never doesn't sound passive-aggressive.

I hate this kind of one-upsmanship bullshit with a passion - seems especially prevalent with lovely parents that have to make it sound like their lives are worse off than anyone else's. Why did you have children in the first loving place if all you're going to do is bitch and moan and use them to compare how terrible your life is to everyone else? Those are the types I troll mercilessly when they get uppity with me, whether it's a "boy, sure did feel good to sleep in all night" or "man, it feels good to be able to do what I want, whenever I want, without thinking about babysitters, day care, etc."

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Khazar-khum posted:

Thread content: People who call you, offering 'computer services.' Why yes, of course I'm going to give all my access information to some man on the phone who barely speaks English. And yes, let me give you my credit card information, too. What could possibly go wrong?

I ran into a situation like this at work with an employee of a client, who got some kind of ransomware on their home PC. She was asking all these questions and brought up that she called the number that the ransomware gave her, and even allowed remote access into her PC before freaking out and shutting it off. It baffles me how clueless people can be when it comes to this stuff - she ended up taking her PC to a local repair place to get it cleaned, but goddamn that's idiotic. "Sure, let me just give some complete stranger access to my PC that has all my personal information, tax records, passwords, and everything else they could use to steal my identity and ruin my life! :downs:"

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

grittyreboot posted:

I've stopped reading articles on my phone because they always have that pop up that begs you to subscribe with the X button that doesn't work, is microscopic, or both.

Really pop ups are annoying in general. If I like what I see, then I'll bookmark it. Stop harassing me.

This, and developers that only make apps for certain mobile OSes - yes, I have a Windows phone, and yes, it sucks because I can't even get the loving Chrome browser on it as an alternative to IE. Plenty of other apps do the same thing (like Snapchat) where they decided to develop for Android and iOS, but decided Windows phones aren't worth the time. Sorry, not dropping $400+ on a phone just to get your stupid app, tell your retarded developers to expand their skill set and quit being lazy, vindictive assholes.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

How fast do you drive? I have never had this happen to me, but then, I don't drive like a half blind old lady down public highways during rush hour.

Happens here quite a bit (Nebraska) - I swear anyone born and raised here has zero clue how to handle a car. I've been on the interstate going 5mph over the limit in the right lane and STILL have people tailgating because apparently 65-70mph isn't fast enough. Bonus points for the jackoffs that don't use the left passing lane and just keep riding your bumper for 5 miles like they'll change your mind. :argh: People are just dumb, careless assholes sometimes.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Klaus88 posted:

People who let their cats be outside cats. :smith:

God dammit people we live in Florida, there's always the chance of, gators, racoons, random psychopaths.

Echoing this, and I'm not even in an area with super dangerous animals like that around. A couple years ago I accidentally hit a cat while driving home at night on a dirt road and still feel lovely about it. Keep your pets inside, people - all I could think about is some poor kid that doesn't have a pet any more because someone got careless and it got out (or was let out). :smith:

Another from working in IT - when someone gives me a time to work on a problem, and they either (a) bitch when I follow up at the time they asked or (b) aren't around when they said they would be so I can look at their problem. Jesus people, it's not that difficult to either be available (or let me know if you won't be), or be a little more polite if you need to reschedule. Turning into a massive rear end in a top hat or catty bitch when I'm trying to help out doesn't do you any favors and sure as hell doesn't make me want to help you again.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Senator Sprinkles posted:

When people post a YouTube link in a thread with no description of what the video is or who it's intended for. Just a gibberish YouTube link we're supposed to click and watch, I guess. Also, in the same vein, when I come across a really neat-sounding article on FB or whatever, only to find out it's not really an article I can read at my leisure; it's some vapid video I'd have to sit through. I'd rather just read the info than watch some poorly-made video about it!

So I guess videos on the Internet are my pet peeve.

:bahgawd:

Probably been said already but people that post a GIF in a thread that ends up lagging entire pages down. Happens more often in Chrome because of the crap memory management, but still irks me when someone creates a 50MB+ GIF that slows pages to a crawl. Even worse when several people invariably complain and a handful of posters pipe in with "get a better connection/computer/browser :smug:" like they're all high and mighty hot poo poo. Sorry, not everyone has mommy and daddy still paying for internet for them while they sit on their lazy asses, nor does everyone live in an area with reliable high speed internet. It's even worse when an idiot creates a huge GIF that ends up being almost the same size as the video it came from, because they have no loving clue how compression works and apparently can't be bothered to link to a video instead.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

dennyk posted:

It pisses me off that the quality of consumer goods always gets poorer and poorer over time. You finally find a good brand you like for a product, whether it be clothes, shoes, food, hell, even toilet paper, and everything's good. Then you wear it out or use it up and eventually need to replace it, so you go buy the same brand again, only to find that it's now become worse somehow. The construction is poorer, the materials are lovely, the sizing isn't right, the ingredients are cheaper, there's not as much product in the package, the rolls are suddenly a quarter inch shorter...whatever it is, something about it has become worse than before. And if you just sigh and stick with that brand anyway, then a year or two later you'll go to buy another one only to find that the quality has declined even further. So now you have to go hunting for a better brand, only to discover that every other brand has also become cheap and lovely over the years. :sigh:

This and wildly varying sizes from place to place - I can buy an XL polo shirt at Target and it fits perfectly, then go to Kohl's and the same shirt is practically a goddamn tent on my frame and is way too long past my waist. Same with dress shirts, I've had great luck at JC Penney with nice dress shirts in a specific size, but getting that same size at another retailer ends up with shorter sleeves, tighter neck, longer/shorter waist, etc.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Panniculus Rift posted:

I don't insist on being an outdoor cat owner, my cat insists on going outside sometimes. I 'm not going to deny him that, because he loves chilling in the garden, smelling stuff, hanging with other cats and pooping in our flower beds. In the winter he stays inside most of the time because he doesn't like being cold.

Since you mention birds, I find it hilarious that you don't think people are punishing them by keeping them in tiny cages, maybe allowed to flap around the house once a day. It might not be punishment, since it's not a direct reaction to something the bird has done, but it's still pretty hosed up. Of course, once a tropical bird has been taken from its natural habitat, not letting it outside is a form of protection because otherwise it would die, but how about not buying birds that aren't supposed to live in your climate and trapping them inside cages?

Imo, the cool thing about having a cat is that it's pretty much the only pet you can have living in your house without keeping it prisoner.

Look at this idiot, thinking that keeping his cat indoors is any less a "prisoner" than keeping a bird or other animal indoors, you're so cute :allears: See how easy it is to be a stupid troll?

I can't wait for your inevitable bitching and moaning when your cat gets out and another animal ends up killing it, it gets lost/stolen, or gets hit by a car, because you ~*won't deny him his freedom*~

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

Freedom of speech has always been about being tolerant of unpopular speech. The right would be utterly pointless if it only protected socially acceptable speech.

On the other side of this, when someone blatantly does something stupid or offensive and acts surprised when someone else attacks them for it. Case in point, the Texas Muhammad drawing contest - especially when the idiots know they're provoking someone for the sake of attention and pissing someone off, then put out the disclaimer of "bring your guns, the Muslims might attack us!"

No poo poo Sherlock, way to prove you're a bunch of redneck hillbilly retards with zero common sense. People like that are the reason Americans are perceived as lovely, arrogant, thoughtless idiots in other countries. Way to go! :downs:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Posted in the passive-aggressive thread but bears repeating here...

There's a small frontage road that runs in front of my work - 2 lanes wide, plenty of room for cars to comfortably fit and pass going in opposite directions. Every loving day, some jackass either in an expensive luxury car, SUV, or some lovely beater car rides right down the center of the road. I've witnessed several times where someone needs to get into our lot and can't because some fucktard can't be bothered to move their stupid rear end over, and I've had people glare and almost hit me when I'm literally inches from the curb on my side.

gently caress EVERY ONE OF THESE PEOPLE. If you drive like this, I hate you, and one day I will stop, pull you from your stupid tardmobile, and beat the everloving poo poo out of you for being a stupid, inconsiderate, selfish loving prick. Same goes for assholes that ride the line or "float" into someone else's lane with no signal, or without even realizing it because they're on the phone or chatting with a passenger. PAY loving ATTENTION. If an accident doesn't maim or kill you, I swear one of these days i'll be the one that does it for you. Jesus gently caress, people.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Present posted:

I get salty when someone says they can't do a thing for reason x, when its obvious that reason x is not even a good excuse. Just own up to not feeling like it and tell me, I won't mind.

In my experience this happens most often with people who don't want to repay favors - I've helped people out before just because it's a nice thing to do, whether they asked or not. But some of those people routinely decline or make excuses when I suddenly need help, and that poo poo's infuriating...so I stop doing favors for those people and lob the same excuses back at them. They either take the hint and stop asking, or worse, get all uppity like you just stole their car and murdered their family because you refused to do thing for them.

Another one from work: when someone asks for info but won't say what it's for or why. Had a client at work today start asking for paperwork from their agreements with us, licensing, anything else like that, but wouldn't say why. Turns out their company is being bought out by another larger company so they need the papers to hand off. I wouldn't mind this client loving off outright, their main "decision maker" is a poo poo-talking, fake-it-to-make-it phone tough guy that knows dick about IT and always bitched about spending money on anything, even if it was an actual necessity or something critical was broken.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

^ Even worse in any IT support

:v: Is your VGA cable plugged into the laptop, or into the dock?
:byodame: YES

This is not a yes or no question, I'm asking WHICH you have the cable plugged into so I can determine where the problem lies :argh:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

KoB posted:

Its probably just a nice way to say "get out" so people dont clog the lines like idiots.

Doesn't work very well, there are still idiots with 3 carts of stuff going through self-checkout like it'll somehow be faster than the lane attendant who does that work every day. I wanna punch those people, at least half the self-checkouts should be treated like express lanes, 20-25 items max to get people through faster.

Bill Dungsroman posted:

GOD drat YES this was the best thing when my company stopped accepting checks.

And still every so often we get someone who looks bewildered about it. One customer even said "I thought everybody took checks!"

Checks are stupid and should have been axed a long time ago as a form of payment, only exception being for things like rent or stuff where you want to be able to track or cancel payment. Otherwise, CC lets you do that, and cash/CC are quicker and more convenient anyways (unless you're one of the half-wit teenagers I've seen that can barely do remedial math in their heads to count change back). Speaking of change - whenever I go someplace to pay with cash and try to get rid of some change so I can get fewer pennies back. Example: Go to the store, get groceries, comes out to say, $44.97. I give the cashier $50.02 so I can get $5.05, one bill, one nickel. I'd say 75% of the time the cashier looks at me funny, tries to hand the change back, and I have to explain why I'm giving that amount of change.

How did you get a loving job not being able to do basic addition and subtraction in your head? :psyduck: And these are the same self-entitled idiots that expect $15/hour for no experience right out of high school and can't be bothered to wake up before 11am to work. gently caress stupid millennials.

BOOTY-ADE has a new favorite as of 22:38 on Aug 19, 2015

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

KoB posted:

Theyre standing in front of a magic money box. They put how much money they received into it and then it tells them how much to give you.

Theres no reason why this should be hard.

loving THANK YOU. Take the money, put in the amount in the register, and let it calculate things for you if your brain isn't good at math. Don't hand me my drat change back because you're too lazy or dumb to figure it out yourself or hit a couple buttons that do the work for you.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Silver Falcon posted:

I also can't stand it when I'm getting off the elevator and there's some braindead idiot standing RIGHT IN FRONT of the doors waiting to get on. Hey, rear end in a top hat, other people use these things besides you. Stand to the side s bit or a step or two back, for chrissakes!

This kills me because it's happened at my workplace several times. Just a 3 floor building but occasionally we have to haul equipment up from the basement garage. There's always some lazy dipshit standing a foot from the door, dead center, not even looking ahead until they hear the *ding* and see someone trying to get out. No, of course it's not inconvenient for your fat, stupid, lazy rear end to try to shove onto a nearly full elevator with 3 people trying to offload heavy network equipment because you can't wait a whole 30 seconds or take the steps down, no sir :downs:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

People who borrow your things, break them, and put them back like they found them that way. I've had several chargers and cords at work busted or outright snapped, and the pieces quickly shoved back into the locker as if I broke them myself and just forgot?

A million times THIS. I usually don't mind lending my stuff out but most recently, at my job, I let someone borrow my phone charger. I'm OCD about keeping my poo poo clean and unbroken, I got it back with the plastic shielding coming apart near the USB connector. I bought a new cable and keep it locked in my desk, it's amazing how many people will still try to borrow poo poo after they break it. I'm all "nope, gently caress that, you want another cable you can buy one like I had to when you BROKE MINE, jackass"

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Crow Jane posted:

Friend of mine rocks a sweet afro, and the amount of drunken strangers who think it's okay to give her hair a squeeze is ridiculous. She's capable of pulling off a pretty terrifying death stare, so they tend to learn pretty quickly that that's not okay, but still. Who thinks grabbing a stranger's hair is a good idea?

When I was in junior high I had shoulder length hair (before the follicle spirits took my locks, bald now) & people always messed with it. A girl I was friends with got too crazy & yanked a small clump out because she was upset about something. I chopped it a couple days later because gently caress that happening again. Another girl who crushed on me hated it, she was always cool & used to run her fingers through it in classes we had together.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I already posted about Facebook dinner humblebrags but I'm posting again because it makes me crazy. Watch, I can do it too! I'm making picadillo tonight and I can say "I'm making picadillo tonight" or I can say "Tonight I'm making sauteed red & green capsicum with lightly fried onions in garlic, stewed with minced beef and crushed tomatoes and served over slow-cooked black beans and jasmine rice, garnished with diced jalapenos."

I'll say the first one, because it's loving picadillo :mad:

Not gonna lie, impressed you can do that considering the wings & all :)

BOOTY-ADE has a new favorite as of 23:01 on Sep 30, 2015

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

People criticizing the President, specifically on gun control. I've got a gun nut acquaintance that just doesn't seem to get what's going on and is staunchly against any sort of changes in law or regulations for firearms. He complained a short time back about how Obama "didn't hold a press conference to address police shootings". When I asked if Obama should drop everything and have a press conference for every single murder that happens, whether or not it involves police deaths, he could only stammer out a weak "well he should do SOMETHING because this is getting out of hand!"

At the same time, with the recent Oregon shootings, he complained that Obama held a press conference about it to address the incident and other recent shootings. What does the idiot acquaintance pipe up with? "He's just politicizing this for attention, gently caress Obama!"

MAKE UP YOUR loving MIND YOU STUPID SHITSTAIN. People like that drive me up a loving wall, the whole damned if you do, damned if you don't mentality pisses me off. Nothing is ever good enough and everyone waffles back and forth, I'm so sick of it.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Tendai posted:

People who brake on anything even resembling a curve in the road :argh:

And when going down even the slightest incline - happens here all the time, usually some old whitehair having to hammer their brakes because they think coasting 2mph over the limit will get them arrested. Although I wish they would get pulled over for slowing traffic and drifting in and out of lanes like assholes, I've nearly been sideswiped several times by elderly people who can barely see over the dashboard, let alone see anything at all with their gigantic 3" thick Hubble glasses.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I'm fine with most bugs but I'm definitely in the gently caress THAT NO SIREE house centipede camp. I was opening a till at 5 in the morning once, still mostly asleep, and when I pulled out the cash drawer one of those fuckers popped out of hiding and beelined for my hand. Ear-splitting scream. Drop the tray. Coins everywhere.

Agree here, I'm a dude and those fuckers creep me out - not to the point of screaming but "smash that goddamn thing before it crawls on my face in my sleep". Was really bad like 20 years back when I lived at home and decided to take part of the finished basement as my room - they were all over the drat place.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BioEnchanted posted:

On the 'invisible illness' front when I came down with appendicitis I had no idea that that was what it was. I initially dismissed it as a stomache bug and tried just staying at home and drinking water. When it didn't go away on it's own I made an appointment with a doctor for the end of the week (The next available time slot). I walked the mile and a half to reach the doctor's office, and was told about what was actually happening after a few tests (namely the finger-in-the-butt, where does it hurt? test) and immediately after my Brain heard the word appendicitis everything just stopped working properly. While waiting for the ambulance I had plastered the bathroom with vomit/bile and then stopped being able to stand up. Beginning of the day I was walking 1.5 miles, 4 hours later walking under my own power at all was difficult. It turned out that I got lucky - it had started leaking and by the time of the operation, a tube had to be put in my stomache cavity to drain the bile. If I had waited any longer to be seen I may have been looking at it bursting, and maybe killing me.

loving close one. (In my defence I had never had appendicitis before [Of course :P] so had no frame of reference).

Yeah, it really sucks - I recently had a close call, was diagnosed with diverticulitis and a small fistula in the sigmoid colon :( when it happened it felt like appendicitis, only the pain was all centered in my pelvis and low abdomen, I couldn't sleep, had a 102 fever, couldn't eat/drink, and rushed to the ER to get helped. Ended up laid up a week on IV fluids and 2 different antibiotics, came home this past week to recover only to find out today that surgery is inevitable. Just waiting on the doctor to get things scheduled, then it's something like a minimum 2 weeks in hospital, then another 4-6 weeks home recovery and limited to soft food and fiber supplements. Sucks and I'm not looking forward to any of it (especially the hospital bills) but it's gotta be done unless I want the rest of my intestines to get infected and gently caress me up hardcore.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

AlphaKretin posted:

Jesus loving Christ I hope I never get sick. :ohdear:

Not helping matters is my extreme luck with serious illnesses so far combined with me being a gigantic wimp. The worst I've had to deal with is a broken arm, the thought of appendicitis or, say, a bullet wound keeps me up at night.

I'm the youngest of 4 & seem to have the worst luck of everyone. Broke both wrists (age 5 & 11), appendix out at 14, broken ankle at 15, dislocated shoulder at 17, car accident at 18 (rear ended by a pickup), inguinal hernia in 06, fell off my brother's pool slide 6' onto concrete 3 years ago (28 stitches & mild concussion), now diagnosed with diverticulitis & colon puncture. Learn from my stupidity, I should have just cut out the middle man, eaten more fiber & got a stuntman job.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Nothing will ever happen about stuff like that. I went to the hospital in an ambulance after I got raped (I didn't have a car or money for a taxi) and the paramedic spent the entire ride saying I was just faking it, I'm just a stupid whore who regrets having sex, think about who's life I'm going to ruin if I report the guy for the "not rape." I guess because I wasn't hysterically crying with mascara all over the place I couldn't be a victim? Just generally disgusting stuff like that while his partner nodded.

The ambulance service charged me for a "non emergency ride." I tried to contest it but it became too much of a hassle. Medical care anywhere is hosed.

This kind of poo poo disgusts me and makes me wish anyone making assumptions like that should be fired on the spot, especially when they've been 100% proven wrong about the situation. gently caress rear end in a top hat doctors and EMTs that just assume someone is faking it or making poo poo up, those kinds of selfish, stupid assholes should NEVER have jobs in the medical field and deserve to be publicly shamed.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Tendai posted:

People who park in handicapped spaces (without the permit) with the justification that "I was just five minutes!!!" like my time is less loving valuable than theirs so I can clearly wait for them to go do whatever. I try not to use my placard when I don't have to because I'm aware there are people far more in need of the close spot than me and so when I actually do use it because I need to, and some rear end in a top hat is taking the spot and laughs it off because they were only ten minutes or whatever so that's fine and why am I mad! Bonus if they're pregnant and start trying to even hint at pregnancy totally being the same thing as being disabled.

Tying with this - places that have inadequate (or no) handicapped accessibility. I live in an older apartment complex, which has handicapped spots in all the lots. In the buildings? No easy handicap accessible ramps, no elevators, nothing to make it easier for them to get in/out. I feel really bad and often end up helping a couple neighbors, both have serious disabilities that make it hard to walk and seeing them try to go up steps scares the hell out of me sometimes :(

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

People using Buzzfeed-speak in their actual conversations or even social media. I can't help but cringe when someone says "yaaaaas" or "ALL of the (blank)" in real life. My coworker's reaction to the Virginia newscaster shooting was actually "I can't even." This from someone with a career in journalism.

Oh man. That new loving McDonald's all day breakfast commercial. I want to stab the people that decided that commercial was a good idea, along with the annoying assholes in the commercial itself. Nobody talks like that and lovely emphasis on terrible, made up words just grates on me.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Murphy Brownback posted:

My feed is flooded with "Shakeology" lately. One of my friends is a "coach" or whatever and she posts constantly about how she lost weight after having a baby etc.. but the shakes just seem entirely tangential to everything. You don't need the shakes, you just need to exercise and not eat a lot of calories. It's not some magic thing, you're just paying out the rear end to replace your calories with terrible tasting milkshakes. It's annoying because it's hard to be mad at her because she's a really nice person and it is great that she's happy and all, but trying to rope other people into the scam is kind of lovely.

I guess my annoyance is that people credit some MLM thing with their success when they succeeded in spite of the program, not because of it.

I hear you, this is why I can't stand that Weight Watchers or Nutri System crap. "You can eat what you want and still lose weight!"

Yeah, because all you're doing is telling them to control their portions and space their meals out. The fact that they have to have this beaten into their heads with pre-cooked prep food marked breakfast/lunch/dinner, food they could literally put together themselves, speaks to how utterly retarded some parts of the human species are. You lost weight doing exactly the one thing you kept saying failed and got you to this point. :psyduck:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Silver Falcon posted:

I don't know what Nutri System is, but I don't think Weight Watchers belongs in that sort of category. You're allotted a certain amount of "points" a day, and different foods are worth varying numbers of points. Eat at or below your point allotment and you lose weight. Now, sure, it's basically counting calories in a funny hat, but at least you don't have to eat any special food. Heck, their website even has point values for a bunch of restaurant food!

I still think it applies - a fancy name is slapped on, a different way to watch portions/count calories, and a few celebrity endorsements and all of a sudden a diet magically works. The points are a way of saying "stop eating so much/so often" and guess what? You eat smaller portions less often, and you lose weight. It falls between fast food and making your own meal - the convenience of not having to cook or prep, but it's all pre-made, overpriced crap anyone could get at the supermarket and make themselves for cheaper. It just kills me that most of these people keep saying "I tried a million stupid fad diets and this is the only one that worked", when the only difference is how their stupid diet is presented to them.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

YeahTubaMike posted:

Maybe they're trying to be polite. I have Facebook friends whose numbers are on Facebook, but I don't think I would use their numbers unless it was directly established that I could. Maybe I'm the weirdo here.

I think it's a little of this and a little of people being paranoid about sharing info. Usually with FB friends, I already have their number and talked to them before I decided to friend them on FB anyhow. But I'm similar in that my phone isn't listed there, because it's my personal cell and even though I set my preferences so only certain people see my stuff, I choose not to put it there. Had a couple times were someone gave out my number to a person I didn't know (or intentionally avoided contact with) and getting random calls or texts like that is pretty annoying.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Tendai posted:

We need a PYF-made cookbook. Every recipe is just "I don't know, throw like... some of this poo poo in a pot, cook it for awhile. What the gently caress do you want, a narrative?" or some variation thereof.

If it's pages of recipes like this

I'm down with a PYF cookbook

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

May have mentioned it before but - people who don't take the hint that you're not interested in dating or being more than friends. There was a girl in my group of friends who was cool, but had an unhealthy obsession with me for some weird reason. I'm just an average dude who gets along with everyone but this girl kept getting too close, too touchy-feely, dropping hints and everything else even after being told several times by me and others to cut it out. Thankfully she moved on but it was really weird when she'd show up to parties or get-togethers with guys that closely resembled me looks-wise, even my friends were getting creeped out by it and noticed the resemblance, so it wasn't just me.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Baldbeard posted:

I've probably replaced the batteries on a smoke detector unit at least 20 times in my life. Only on one single occasion has it been outside the midnight-4am time window. It's infuriating. Especially because some units signal the other units in a house when one is low, so you have to stand there in your underwear at 2am in the morning and try to figure out which one is beeping 0.1second before the others.

Makes me SO glad I have a small apartment with like 2 smoke detectors (one by the kitchen/living room, one in the hall by the bedroom/bathroom). My folks have that whole "one chirps, all chirp" setup in their house and it loving sucks rear end. They usually have me change them because their ceilings are like 10' or something, and at least 3 of them are in lovely places by stairwells or otherwise not easy to reach. I feel worse for my older brother, he's got a couple rooms in his house with vaulted ceilings. Guess where the detectors are? Yep, almost the highest spot on the wall, where his tallest ladder (I think a 15-20 foot) just barely reaches it.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Thin Privilege posted:

Bright lights. Mother. loving. Bright lights.

It's always on a one lane road, too.

I'm thinking of starting this: pulling over so they can get past and then pulling behind them and turning MY brights on.

I hate brights too, just about everywhere it's a mix of

- People with brights on, mid-day
- People with no lights on after dark
- Normal people who use lights correctly

I've often toyed with the idea of installing some kind of flip-up mirror in my back window, between the rear speakers. Flip a switch and blind the motherfucker behind you with his own lights.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

bucksmash posted:

Here's one for today: people who call out "sick" on our busiest work day of the week. Five people are not at my job today and my boss is livid. Especially frustrating as we just had a meeting on Friday where everyone was told its the beginning of our holiday season and callouts are only OK if you're legit ill.

Yay extra work to cover for lazy assholes :mad:

I feel your pain on this one, happened all the time at a couple call center jobs I had way back when. Assholes like that are the reason everyone else gets paranoid taking a sick day (or vacation) and why places can be super strict about doctors notes and proof of illness. Then again, if management had a backbone they could just write those 5 dickholes up, but I doubt it would help.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

NonzeroCircle posted:

I hate how its now nigh-on impossible to quickly look at a guitar tab on my phone without being harassed about downloading the Ultimate Guitar or whatever app and give them money. I just want a quick reminder of a riff I last played years ago, not "instant access to 500,000 tabs", this poo poo has been up there for years, why should I pay for it now? Doesn't help the majority of sites are all part of the ultimate guitar network so pretty much any attempt involves mashing back a bunch of times and trying to commit it to memory before I get hassled 3 seconds later.

This, but for pretty much any "free" app. I had a free flashlight app on my work iPhone, helped when I needed to crawl under desks or work in dark server rooms. Inevitably the drat light would turn off after a couple minutes when a stupid loving ad for something unrelated came on, and I'd have to close and reopen the flashlight app. Got so sick of it that I started using a pocket size LED flashlight since we had a whole basket of them from a vendor, and uninstalled that stupid rear end app entirely.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

ladron posted:

I had an ex that called it a "sang-wich"

Let me guess - born somewhere in the northeast US, like New England area? I had tons of family members that pronounced it "sangwidge", drove me up a goddamn wall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Tiggum posted:

You bought a colouring book for an adult. She probably thought it was a joke gift. Who the gently caress buys a colouring book for an adult?

My folks are HUGE fans of all the Despicable Me movies and love the little minions. I bought 3 of them for Christmas, 2 plush ones for my mom and a plastic one with changeable outfits for dad. They were ECSTATIC and my dad couldn't stop playing with the Kevin one and his banana costume :3: I guess what I'm saying is either Cowslips maybe didn't explain why she got them and that's why her mom didn't "get it", or her mom just assumed it was a joke gift. Then again I like to give benefit of doubt, never know :shrug:

To contribute - I work in IT and my biggest peeve is people not completing information on tickets or for company info. I work for an MSP and from start to finish, everything from hardware to ISP to software and licensing all need to be documented. I can't count how many times our server or network guys "forget" to add all the info that's needed for us to troubleshoot and fix issues. Case in point, I'm on call and had an alert come in for a server being down for another engineer's client. Said client has several locations across the US, so I tracked down the one affected and checked documentation.

There was absolutely NOTHING documented for the problem location. No ISP info, no on-site contact, no address, nothing. In that particular location there are several ISPs providing DSL, cable, and fiber, so I had zero clue which ISP they used to check for outages. Ended up calling one of the engineers for the account, he had the info scribbled away somewhere outside our usual documentation and hadn't added it to the client profile yet. :doh: