Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Jastiger posted:

Answer your loving phone.

I don't answer any calls from numbers with area codes I don't recognize because 99.9% of the time it's a scam robo-call. In the 0.1% of cases where it's legit they can leave a message and I'll call them back, and if it's an emergency that can't wait the 2 minutes it takes to let it ring out and leave a voicemail they should've called 911 instead. If I'm not answering I just silence the ringer by pressing one of the side buttons which has been a feature on every phone made since flip phones at least and just let it silently ring out to voicemail and go on with my day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Dr Scoofles posted:

I'm 32 and get called the 'juvenile' and 'child' by the older women in my Latin group. They also constantly 'teach' me about things from their day, as though I'm completely unaware of anything before 1982. I may not have been loving born when Steptoe & Son was first broadcast but I'm still aware of its existence.

I started my first real full time salaried job when I was 22. I got called a "baby" all the time and I HATED it, especially since I started at the same time at the same level and pay grade as someone in their 30s who was the worst offender for this. I'm sorry but if you're in your mid-30s doing the same job as someone fresh out of college I don't think you have any right to be condescending about it. HR's only age harassment policy only protected those 40 and above for being harassed by those younger than them, so I just had to put up with it :rolleyes:

Pet peeves of mine:

When you're sunburned and everyone has to point out that you're sunburned. No, I didn't notice my skin was bright red and painful, thanks for telling me!

People with little dogs who let them get away with being aggressive shits because it's "cute" and "lol he thinks he's a big dog!!" If my 40 pound dog was snapping and snarling at anyone who walked by I'd get animal control called on my rear end immediately but since it's a tiny ankle biter it's suddenly ok? And when my dog barks back don't you dare lecture me on controlling my dog.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Ozz81 posted:

Happens here quite a bit (Nebraska) - I swear anyone born and raised here has zero clue how to handle a car. I've been on the interstate going 5mph over the limit in the right lane and STILL have people tailgating because apparently 65-70mph isn't fast enough. Bonus points for the jackoffs that don't use the left passing lane and just keep riding your bumper for 5 miles like they'll change your mind. :argh: People are just dumb, careless assholes sometimes.

No one drives at or around the speed limit in Nebraska. It's either up your rear end or 10-15 mph below the speed limit.

I've lived in three different states and it's definitely the most notable here. Texas surprisingly has the most reasonable drivers of places I've lived so far.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I get pissed off when people buy/adopt any goddamn animal they're not going to take care of. Living in a college town, I see way too much of it. "OHMYGOD I'M LIVING IN MY OWN HOUSE TIME TO GET A DOG! MOM CAN'T TELL ME NO!" So you buy a puppy (because shelter animals are gross), start neglecting it almost immediately when it uses the restroom on the floor because potty training is hard, then relegate it to a tiny cage when you get a boyfriend or girlfriend and don't want to have to deal with puppy while you're watching movies, getting drunk, scrogging, etc. Pretty soon, it's off to the shelter because "you just don't have time for a dog" but in reality you're either lazy or bored of the poor thing. Of course, you'll take it to the nearest shelter, which is probably a kill shelter because the nearest Humane Society shelter is in the next county and it's, like 20 miles away ugggggghhhh I'm sure someone will adopt this puppy, I've got to get back in time for American Idol

When I was in college I saw SO MANY people buy a puppy because "omg cute!!" then first school break posting how they have to get rid of the puppy because their parents wouldn't let them bring it home over break. We own a property in a college town and we have a no pets clause to discourage this sort of behavior (and also not having our carpet ruined by a college kid who can't bother to potty train their dog). We will lift the pets ban if the tenant has a proven track record of not being a shithead absentee pet owner, but there is no way anyone will acquire a dog or cat while living there.

I acquired a pet during college but it was a caged rodent that was compatible with my weird college schedule (and I still have him years later). Now that I own dogs I can't imagine trying to take care of them while chronically broke with a wildly unpredictable schedule. What do you do when your dog needs to see the vet and you have $3 in your bank account and Sparky is a secret you're keeping from your parents?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Crow Jane posted:

If you're not a woman, you can't really complain about sizing in clothes. It's beyond arbitrary, even within the same brand. I have clothes from Target in everything from XS-L, and they all fit the way they're supposed to. Vanity sizing is the stupidest loving thing.

On this note, I'm tall. It would be nice to try on a dress and not have the waistline be somewhere around my ribcage, and not have every skirt turn into a mini.

And also, I hate that every other bra is either push-up or comes with an inch of padding. Not everyone wants to be a titty monster all the time.

I have pairs of pants ranging from size 0 to size 6. They all fit. I have the same problem as you with dresses too, I'll try one on that looks nice on the mannequin and the waist is up in my armpits and my rear end is practically hanging out.

All of my height is in my torso and there seems to be a trend of pants being tailored for 8 foot tall Amazonian women so if I buy an outfit off the rack I will have skin showing between my shirt hem and the top of my pants and I'll be stepping on the last inch or two of pant leg. It's infuriating.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Recipe blogs that have a whole backstory to each recipe that no one gives a poo poo about. I was looking up a cookie recipe once and this lady had paragraphs and paragraphs about how she'd make them with her grandkids and blah blah blah before actually posting the recipe. I don't want to read about your stupid grandkids I just want to make some cookies goddamnit.

Problem! has a new favorite as of 18:46 on Jun 7, 2015

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Live recordings of songs that include a full minute of the audience cheering and clapping before and after the song. This bothers me the most when a song like that comes on when I'm listening to Pandora since I don't want to waste a skip on it but I also don't want to sit and listen to a room full of idiots cheering and clapping when I want to listen to music.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Sociopastry posted:

Or ones where there's like five minutes of the band talking to the crowd. I'm sure it was super cool if you were there, but it's just pissing me off.

This too. There's one song that pops up in my Pandora feed that has both the crowd cheering AND the band talking to the crowd for a full minute and a half at the end. The actual music is pretty good so I don't really want to thumbs-down it but I might have to.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

The paid version has unlimited skips but it still yells at you if you skip too much. My internet connection is a little shaky on some parts of my commute so it ends up skipping songs on its own and then if I want to skip a song it won't let me.

You can thumbs up or thumbs down songs as they come on, and if you thumbs down a song it'll skip it (if you have remaining skips) and never play it again on your station and if you thumbs up it it'll play it more often and also add similar songs to your station. If you give it enough feedback over a long enough period of time you'll rarely have to skip.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

MindlessHavok posted:

Is there a reason you don't use spotify (or I guess apple music when t comes out)? It's the same price, they have a "radio" function and you can build your own playlists.

I tried pandora and the radio part is great but if I want to go listen to a specific song I'd either have to buy it or see if it was on spotify...so I just started using it for both.

I've had my Pandora account since before Spotify was a thing and I've been building my station for at least 5 years now. The thought of starting over is just... ugh.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

One of the grocery stores near my house must train their baggers to put one item (and only one item) in each bag. One time I bought a lightbulb with my groceries and the lightbulb got its own bag. Other times I've brought my own bags and the baggers put everything in plastic bags and then into my reusable bags. I get doing that with meat and other stuff that could spill, but they did it with all of my groceries.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Gas pumps that ask you 8,000 questions before you can pump your gas.

Pay inside or outside?
Do you have a grocery store bonus card?
Do you have a [gas station credit card]?
Debit or credit?
Zip code?
Car wash?
Receipt?

And of course it has to pause for like 30 seconds between questions. Just let me swipe my drat card and pump my gas.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

HOLY gently caress posted:

People in my new job keep commenting that I look sad or angry all the time even when I'm not but I have hooded eyelids and I'm not going to walk around with my eyes wide open all the time or get surgery so gently caress them :mad:

I actually got dinged on a performance review for having a resting bitch face. Pissed me the hell off.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Not really a pet peeve, but I do love watching the assholes at red lights who constantly edge their car forward waiting for the light to change so they can speed away. Yesterday morning I saw one who was expecting it to change for so long that by the time it did, he was in the middle of the intersection.

I hate it when I'm in the right turn lane waiting for a chance to turn on red and the fucker going straight through keeps inching up so I can't see oncoming traffic so I inch up and they inch up too WHAT IS YOUR GODDAMN PROBLEM LET ME MAKE MY TURN

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Agean90 posted:

was stuck behind a dude in a sport car going under the speed limit YOUR IN A SPORTS CAR loving DRIVE LIKE IT jeeze

I was on the highway behind a Ferrari once and I had to pass it because they were driving like a grandma. I drive a Hyundai. I should not be passing a Ferrari for going too slow.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

One of my coworkers pronounces "frustrated" as "flustrated" and it drives me into a small rage every time I hear it.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

socketwrencher posted:

I'm fine with spiders, mice, snakes,. scorpions and just about all bugs, but for some reason centipedes seriously creep me out.

Me too. Spiders? Cool. They eat the bugs. Snakes? Whatever. Centipedes? Run screaming like a little girl. Especially house centipedes.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Another delivery peeve: fuckers who follow delivery vehicles in the holiday season, wait until they make a drop (no signature needed) and then run up to the door and steal the Amazon box for themselves. People, please have your presents Held at Location for Fedex or UPS or whatever. Or ship to your work! Don't leave it on the porch, we lose a lot of presents that way.

Our local FedEx distribution place would make sure expensive-looking packages never made it onto the truck, they walked out with employees never to be delivered. It got to the point if I needed to order something and saw it was shipped via FedEx I'd find a different place to order it that used UPS instead.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Clocks posted:

For real though, house centipedes are awful. I already can barely deal with bugs, but these are not only huge (compared to any other bugs I've had to deal with) with way too many legs, but as people have mentioned - fast. I spotted one way across the room once and literally half a second later it had skittered across the floor and under my bed. Yeah I didn't go back into the room until someone else managed to get rid of it for me.

When I was in college there was one skittering around on the whiteboard behind the professor and everyone was staring at it horrified. The professor tried to kill it at which point it dropped to the floor and started skittering towards the class. Cue mass panic as everyone scrambled to get their bags and feet off the floor.

It's not what they look like that bothers me, it's the speedy skittering.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

InediblePenguin posted:

when I had appendicitis I spent twelve hours in the emergency room because the doctor on shift thought I was a teenage girl who was lying about being pregnant. He interrogated me about this multiple times over the twelve hours that I was lying half-conscious in agony on a gurney in a room off the side, coming in just long enough to yell at me that needed to just admit the truth already before leaving to tend to the patients he felt deserved his attention more. It wasn't until a new doctor came on at a shift change that anyone actually LOOKED at me. By the time they got me into the ER my appendix had already burst, and they had a meeting with my parents to break the news to them that they should not expect me to recover. Obviously I did (after several weeks in the hospital and a secondary infection that led to my parents being given ANOTHER "prepare for your child to die any minute now" speech), but doctors not loving believing people (especially women/people they perceive to be women) is my pet peeve

Everybody knows that any abdominal pain a woman experiences ever is pregnancy. Women can never have intestinal problems or appendicitis. It's always babies.

On that note, everyone who concludes that any time I'm not feeling well means I'm pregnant can go gently caress themselves. My MIL is the worst offender for this one.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

My go-to response to people badgering us about kids is "we like having money and free time".

I don't know what it is but that gets them to shut up faster than any personal reasons why we don't have/don't want kids.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Wheelchair chat: I had surgery on my foot a few years ago and decided to go to the mall to get out of the house. I grabbed a wheelchair to roll around in instead of having to crutch around.

When is get to a store if it was a tight space I'd get up and crutch around instead. The way people treated me when I was in the chair vs upright was noticeable and mildly offensive. In the chair they treated me like I had a mental disability, talking down to me slowly and with simple words but treating me like a regular person when I was standing up. Having a goat fuckoff cast on my foot doesn't mean I lost any cognitive ability, people!

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Murphy Brownback posted:

People who go over the top when describing their dinner/recipes on the internet. You aren't writing a description on a restaurant menu, if it's a steak and mashed potatoes, just call it that. It doesn't make it more impressive when you type it as "well-seasoned grass-fed pan seared well marbled 100% American ribeye accompanied with a nice russet pomme puree, hand-selected from my organic garden". It is almost always done with pretty ordinary food where they are counting on "fancy" plating/photography and descriptions to make it seem more elevated than it really is. I guess excessive adjectives in general are my pet peeve. This makes places like GWS completely unbearable to me.

My dad does something like this, but instead of text he'll word vomit the entire recipe step by step at you if you like something he cooked.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Thin Privilege posted:

Do you enjoy someone driving behind you with their brights on?

Do you drive a small car? If the car behind you is a larger vehicle their regular headlights are going to be angled down into your car and there's nothing they can do about it aside from turning them off completely which is not a viable option.

Have you tried re-angling your rearview mirror?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Nest makes smoke detectors that you can turn off with your phone and instead of chirping they send you a text that you should replace the batteries.

When we finally buy a house those are the first things getting installed.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

teenytinymouse posted:

You will 100% ignore that text message until it starts beeping anyway as a backup.

I feel like avoiding the chirps would be adequate motivation to replace the batteries when it texts you.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Where I work used to be draconian about attendance. For example they fired a guy for "attendance issues" after he took a week or so off for being unfortunate enough to get sick and then break a bone in a way that required surgery immediately afterwards (of course they fired him and terminated his insurance before he went in for said surgery :toot:). New management took over and we actually had to have a staff meeting where they said it was okay and actually encouraged for people to stay the hell home when they're sick.

People who still come to work anyway while horribly ill and contagious despite being told to keep their germs at home can eat a bag of dicks. Your job is not so vitally important that the company will implode if you're not there for one day.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Maggie Fletcher posted:

When gas stations line up their octane selections like this: 87 - 91 - 89 to try to trick people into buying premium gas when they want mid grade. Who buys mid-grade, you ask? I have no loving clue, but that's the only reason I can figure they would do it that way. I have one car that takes 87, and one that takes 91, and I'm careful to only put 91 in the sports car, but if I ever have a sleepy morning where I'm not paying attention and put 89 in and have to listen to it knocking, it's going to be pretty annoying.

Have you been to the Midwest? They put 10% ethanol in the low grade that's poo poo for gas mileage. Since I've moved here I've started using mid or premium just so I don't have to fill up every 2 miles.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Clumsy Card House posted:

Working at a pet store is a good way to burn yourself out on stupid people, my favorite were parents that insisted on getting a hamster for their toddler.

"Oh we want one that's not gonna bite our little Jimmy".

Well guess what, 90% of hamsters are assholes and the remaining 10% will bite when your young child inevitably squeezes it too hard.

And no, you can't keep a guinea pig in that hamster cage. And no, you can't keep that bag of fish in your car while you go shopping for two hours in the middle of summer. And yes, your rabbit needs water to live (yes I was legitimately asked this one time holy poo poo).

Dumb customers are my pet peeve.

Whenever I go to Petsmart to buy stuff for my chinchillas I just have to keep my head down and try to tune out the idiots shopping in the small animal section and get my poo poo and get out as fast as possible. I've started having to order most of my chinchilla supplies online now, I don't know if it's this particular region or what but all the small animal stuff they stock now is that brightly colored extremely unhealthy and actually sometimes toxic poo poo for hamsters and gently caress you if you own any other type of small animal. I guess they just figure the hamsters are going to get neglected to death before they have a chance to die of malnutrition.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I feel worse when I see an adult slip and eat poo poo, kids heal fast and the tears are generally for attention (they almost all universally look around to see if someone's watching before the water works start).

Peeve: The assholes who park on the street in my neighborhood. The streets are narrow so if some assbag parks on the street there's only room for one car to drive past which creates fun games of chicken with oncoming cars every time I need to drive anywhere. Every single house in this neighborhood has a two car garage AND a two+ car driveway so even if your garage is so full of poo poo you can't fit your cars in it (this is another peeve of mine) you can still park them in your motherfucking driveway and NOT THE STREET GODDAMNIT WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I've seriously had to tell grown-rear end adults I work with to "look with your eyes, not your hands" like they're kindergarteners. Seriously who picks up someone else's water bottle to look at by grabbing the spout?! Ugh.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

When I go to park somewhere and the only spot open is next to some rear end in a top hat who's parked aaaaallll the way to the side of their spot so I have to park way to one side of the spot next to them to be able to get out of my car and then the original rear end in a top hat leaves and it makes me look like the idiot who can't park.

And on a completely separate subject, people who kiss their kids on the mouth. It's weird and gross and creepy.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Many people on my friends list have used it as a way to shoehorn humblebrags about how they went to Paris once like 5 years ago so clearly they're sadder than everyone else because they were actually there once guys! Here I am changing my profile picture to me standing in front of the Eiffel Tower as proof!

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Peeve of the day: Craigslist ads for apartments that show up in the "cats okay" search but in the text say something like "NO PETS" or "I have a cat already, no additional pets." The worst was "declawed cats okay." WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU.

I've been house hunting and I've also run into this.

Property is pet friendly*!!
*tenant may have one gerbil at landlord's discretion**
**landlord only accepts gerbils with a minimum three professional regencies and at least a masters degree

Why even bother allowing pets at that point? I'm a landlord myself so I totally get having a no pets policy but if you're going to allow pets at least be reasonable about it. I found an apartment complex that had a list of banned dog breeds that took up a whole large paragraph and it was the most random-rear end list of the most common dog breeds. Stop kidding yourself and just say "cats only" jfc.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Thin Privilege posted:

When people take really long at the drive thru. I don't mean when there's 5 people on the car, I mean the single person for who, for whatever reason, takes 5 minutes to order. Come on just say "I want a #1 no cheese with a Coke" and go! Don't sit there debating and questioning the drive thru person about whatever while 20 cars pile up behind you!!!

One time I went to Whataburger and got trapped in the drive-thru for, I poo poo you not, 30 goddamn minutes because the people in front of me had ordered enough food for at least 10-15 people. They had to get their food in at least three giant plastic shopping bags.

If you're ordering food for more than 2 people go the gently caress inside.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

May Contain Nuts posted:

Every radio station in my area that plays pop music has some type of morning zoo programming so I can't listen to pop music when I'm driving to work. If I want to listen to rock, or classic rock, or jazz, or opera, or oldies there is no problem, but if I'm in the mood for pop music, all 5 local stations are 2-5 morons talking about celebrity gossip and last night's episode of Big Brother. Why do they assume that people who like pop music would rather not listen it between 6 and 10am on weekdays?

I was all excited when I got XM radio thinking I would be free from morning radio shows since it's a nationwide broadcast over several timezones. Nope. The hits channel STILL has has a gaggle of stupid morning radio DJs and it's even more bland because they have to cater to the entire country so there's not even any local flavor to it.

On the subject of accents, I've noticed everyone in the Midwest pronounces "measure" as "may-sure" and it just stabs me in the brain every time I hear it.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Sup scrooge buddy.

Every year I try to invite my family to come see us for the holidays because I'm tired of traveling to them every goddamn year. Every year they start whining about how traveling during the holidays is such a pain in the rear end and they don't want to do it and then in the exact same conversation ask us to fly out to see them. Apparently traveling during the holidays is only a pain in the rear end on their end and it's 100% smooth sailing for us I guess. They have been at their jobs forever and have oodles of paid time off. I'm a contractor with zero paid time off. Yet somehow it's less of an inconvenience in their eyes for me to take unpaid days off AND pay hundreds of dollars for plane tickets AND board the dogs than for them to use their paid time off and see us.

Next time I'm just going to flat-out refuse. If they want to see us they can suck it up and get on a plane during the month of November and/or December.

We've tried proposing a compromise where we come see them at some other point in the year (we do this with my husband's family and it works out really well) to avoid the holiday travel rush and price spikes but my family has some stick up their rear end about how it's ~the holidays~ and ~family time~ and it's ~not the same~. It's just an arbitrary date on the calendar! Who cares!

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

When I click on a news article and it's a video with no accompanying text article.

On the subject of videos, phones should use the GPS feature to determine if you're in a public space and disable playing of videos on full volume if the headphone jack is not being used.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

artsy fartsy posted:

Yes yes yes. Actually this should be standard on anything that little kids might play with in public.

In addition, it should just go ahead and brick the device if it detect you're not using headphones in an airport GODDAMN

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm not even that tall (5'11") and my back KILLS after only doing dishes for a few minutes.

Kitchen counters are too drat short. I think the standard is 36"? But I'm pretty sure the standard was developed decades ago, primarily for women, cause back in the day they were more likely to be doing the kitchen work.

A few more inches (let's bump it up to 40" maybe?) won't make it that much harder for the average 5'4-5'8" person to wash dishes, do cooking, etc... but it would make a world of difference for those of us taller than that.

:eng101: The standard ergonomics measurements were compiled by WWII draft measurements, which means the standards we use today were set by teenagers in the 1940s who grew up during the Great Depression and therefore malnourished and smaller than today's average. There hasn't been a mass measuring of the general population since then so that's what we're still using.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Murphy Brownback posted:

Also people who aren't aware of how loud they are talking (or don't care).

There's a guy like this in my office. I cannot stand it and it's not like I can get away from it. The wearing of headphones in my office is also discouraged so I can't drown him out either.