Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.

Davros1 posted:

At my work we have the automated ones, that come on with a wave of the hand? The problem? No loving cold water! Oh wait, you can get cold water, provided no one's used that particular sink for the last two hours, so you have only a few precious seconds of cold water before it turns scalding hot.

I believe you can usually look under the sink and fiddle with the water temperature settings valve. Worth a shot if you're able.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.

Irish Joe posted:

Other countries don't perceive us that way at all, and I sincerely doubt anyone outside the United States has heard of the Texas protest.

That said, drawing pictures of Mohammed when there is a very real threat of being murdered by religious fanatics is stupid and provocative, but its also brave and necessary to protect our freedom of speech. We shouldn't tolerate violent muslims any more than we tolerate the Christians who murdered Matthew Shepard.

Do you... really not think countries perceive the US that way?

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.

Sociopastry posted:

Agreed so hard.

When people say bless you before you sneeze.

When people say anything about your relatively normal act of sneezing.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.

Ozz81 posted:

Speaking of change - whenever I go someplace to pay with cash and try to get rid of some change so I can get fewer pennies back. Example: Go to the store, get groceries, comes out to say, $44.97. I give the cashier $50.02 so I can get $5.05, one bill, one nickel. I'd say 75% of the time the cashier looks at me funny, tries to hand the change back, and I have to explain why I'm giving that amount of change.

How did you get a loving job not being able to do basic addition and subtraction in your head? :psyduck: And these are the same self-entitled idiots that expect $15/hour for no experience right out of high school and can't be bothered to wake up before 11am to work. gently caress stupid millennials.

poo poo heads like this guy and his inconvenient change habit are my pet peeve. If this is a recurring problem 75% of the time, maybe you are the problem.

As others have said, take your change to a bank. Too lazy? Start using debit. Not your style? Then at least stop complaining about "stupid millenials" and how they are unworthy of having a living wage because they don't do quick arithmetic at your every request.

gently caress stupid millenials? gently caress you.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.

Baldbeard posted:

All day long cashiers:
Get customers who hand them big crumpled up balls of loose bills and coins.
Get customers who try to "reduce their coins" but do the math incorrectly and hand back an amount that would return even more coins.
Get customers who hand bills out as they find them in their purse -- so it's a bunch of small bills, some coins, and then a big bill that covers the whole total.
Get customers who argue about the amount that they just handed them, that's still in their hand.

Cashiers are constantly handing back money to customers before anything is punched in. If you want specific change, then simply tell the cashier exactly what you are giving them and what you expect, that way they know to just punch it in.
I've been a cashier at a market, a bank teller, and a cash-books person. The people who roll around with a pocket/purse full of jinglin' change trying to work out the "most efficient" way of paying are more often than not grade A fuckwits and cause the most errors and problems for everyone.

Edit. Obviously my pet peeve is customers in general.

gently caress that, they don't deserve a living wage. They want higher minimum wage for flipping burgers!??? But firefighters! Troops!!

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.

Captain Lavender posted:

People really get in a state about other people saying "I could care less" rather than "I couldn't care less"

Actually both are fine? "I couldn't care less" is a direct way to say 'I do not care'.

But saying "I could care less" is like maybe one step up from not caring at all; it's not the opposite of "couldn't care less", like when people 'misuse' the word "literally" (it bugs me when people get upset about that too). If the most you can say about something is that you could care less, that's really a sarcastic way of saying, 'I really don't care'. Like, if you said "you could be less attractive" or "your performance could have been worse", those aren't positive statements. They're basically the a step up from the negative sentiment "you couldn't be less attractive".

Then again, I don't necessarily think that most people that say "I could care less" have that parsed out - and they probably are meaning to say "couldn't care less". bah

Maybe I'm just springing a trap but this explanation is my peeve. Only one of those phrases makes sense, but by sheer force of ignorance, the other will now become perfectly accepted.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.

Aerofallosov posted:

Or if you're sorting fish and moths.

I have yet to get them to accept wearing little bows and nail polish.

As for my pet peeve, I've been looking for my cat. And an alarming number of people told me to give up - it's just a cat or joke that their dog probably ate it LOL!

Yeah, real loving funny, rear end in a top hat. gently caress you and your loving huge rear end, untrained, barking and assholish pitbull. The stupid thing barks all day and night, lunges at the fence and has succeeded in tipping over entire sections of the fence going after kids, squirrels, other dogs and passing cats, but you do NOTHING ABOUT IT. I hope it eats your stupid face off between joking it ate my missing cat or threatening people with it (or even telling us it probably ate the pomeranian in the missing posters because poms are WUSS DOGS LOL!). What is it about people who massively neglect an animal then act like it's the best thing EVER?

People who let their cats roam outside. Hope a hawk steals your cat as revenge for the trillions of birds it has single-handedly mutilated.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.

Thin Privilege posted:

Smokers who ignore the giant "NO SMOKING BEYOND THIS POINT" "NO SMOKING WITHIN X FEET OF DOORWAY" etc signs. Do they think they're so *cool* because they're breaking the rules (laws)?

Nothing makes my day more than when it's already -10 and snowing, and I step outside into a huge cloud of smoke. Wonderful.

This is also typically done because there are air intakes above the entrances. So although you stepping into a cloud of smoke is awful, the people inside the building who are breathing in the HVAC air get to suddenly have their offices quite literally fill with a bit of smoke.

My peeve: the phrase "in any way, shape or form." Why must everyone use the entire phrase? Just say "in any way".

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.

cash crab posted:

So, this is pretty region-specific, but we have a vote coming up on Monday here in Canada, and I have heard, more than once, "I don't know who to vote for :(" as a reason not to vote. It would take maybe fifteen minutes to look up all the major parties and go, "I guess I'm not really into a sin tax, so gently caress you, Green Party" or whatever.

"Of course I'm voting. No, I haven't researched. I'm just gonna go with Trudeau. He's Conservative, right?"

"I'd never vote for NDP."
"Why not?"
"I just really don't like them."

"Marijuana is a gateway drug/slippery slope/very dangerous thing. No way am I voting anything but CPC."

"Private health care? I suppose that makes sense. If people REALLY need it, they could just work a bit harder to afford paying for it."

I have heard all these things in the past week.

gently caress you, general public. You are terrible and I am ashamed that I have to live/work around these people.

e: The marijuana one was the opinion of a very smart scientist.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.
People not getting a free flu shot at work.

"I don't need one."

"I never get sick."

"Only time I had it, I got the flu - explain that."

"I've heard it gives you X."

"I have an immune system for a reason."

Get a loving flu shot you god drat morons. Jeeesus you're supposed to be smart scientists in a developed country what is wrong with you.

e: Pregnant friend just now said "I don't want to risk it. I'm avoiding it for the baby."

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.
(Prayer doesn't work, by the way, in case you thought I thought it did. Which I don't.)

(Prayer working, that is.)

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.

Fried Watermelon posted:

I always use self serve because I want all cashiers to lose their jobs. It's such a brain numbing task that has you standing in one spot for hours doing a repetitive task. It can't be good for the human mind to do that.

Walking on a treadmill to generate electricity is probably more productive and better for the person.

Welp cashiers will never lose their jobs. It's why there are cashiers who man the self-scans. Things can always go wrong with technology, of course, but then lots of people simple prefer the personal touch or are complete loving morons and need someone guiding them on how to use basic technology that yells instructions at you. Things won't really change for a long while.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.

cyberia posted:

My pet peeve is when people come over and refuse to acknowledge my dog. He's tiny and fluffy and stupidly friendly so when people come over he gets all excited and runs around like crazy. If the visitor pats him for five seconds he'll calm down and go back to whatever he was doing. If they ignore him he gets anxious and whinges and whines until he gets bored or distracted. Then, of course, the person who has come over glares at the whiny dog and acts like it's the biggest nuisance ever. Just pat him for five goddamn seconds, Jesus. My housemate's dad often comes over and has literally never, not once, acknowledged my dog. My housemate's siblings (who, to be fair, are young kids) are also terrified of the dog and ran out of the house the first time they came over and saw him. I don't understand how people can have such a reaction to a dog. Dogs are awesome :colbert:

You and your dog are my pet peeve.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.
"Skinner!!!" makes so much more sense now.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.

Danger Mahoney posted:

It's super simple. Take as much food and as many favors as are offered but only what can be enjoyed at that moment in the company of your host. If they offer you a glass of the good scotch, drink it. If they see you like it and offer you a bottle to take, you decline. If you mention your car is acting up and the host offers to take a look at it, feel free to take him/her up on it. If the host offers to call his mechanic friend and come take a look at a later date, you decline. If you're in a "help yourself" situation, you're only really free to help yourself to what they have prepared for you. If the host has not prepared things for you (fresh towels, shower poo poo, food and drink, a dinner service or buffet style at a dinner party) then they are in breach and you're now in an uncomfortable situation.

When you are full or don't need what they are offering, you say thank you but no. If the host insists, you're in a gray area because they are then breaching etiquette. Then you're into recursive denial/acceptance breach diffusion theory and that's a little longer than would be polite to write.

Or you could just take what they offer if you want it. gently caress 'em. Rewrite the stupid "rules" or deal.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Animal wackos* are the worst. You should've let Dixie tear off her calf!

pet peeve: people who drag on conversations and jokes longer than they ought to go. Some of my coworkers won't shut up about inane poo poo in a poor attempt to be funny or interesting when I have actual work to do. I'm all for chit-chat and jokes but after a minute or so I get antsy. Especially if said coworker spends two minutes stumbling through a joke and then the next five explaining it from every angle. argh!

*Animal wackos that think every animal should automatically love them, I mean. I'm sure all the animal wackos in this thread are perfectly responsible pet owners :v:

"Animal wackos are the worst" followed by "You should've let Dixie tear off her calf!" :catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.

Henchman of Santa posted:

These people are why I'm in favor of more bullying at school, not less. I saw a Buzzfeed quiz yesterday that was "This Shockingly Accurate Harry Potter Quiz Will Determine Which Pair of Houses You Belong In." There are only four loving houses in the first place! And in the book they totally walked back on the sorting thing with "well, you wanted to go to Gryffindor more so I just put you in that one." Those kids would be better off with a loving Myers Briggs test. I can't even publicly admit to enjoying Harry Potter for fear of a bunch of recreational Quidditch players rambling at me.

So... So your solution is to have people bullied more. Ok.

My peeve's probably all the shitheads who think violence and torment make society better because fear and abuse create well-rounded individuals like in "the good ol' days".