Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Ryoshi posted:

I loving hate it when public restrooms use those sinks where you push the handle/button/whatever to turn on the water but they're installed wrong so the water stops a half a second later. Gosh, I wonder why everyone on this floor of the office gets sick all the time?

At my work we have the automated ones, that come on with a wave of the hand? The problem? No loving cold water! Oh wait, you can get cold water, provided no one's used that particular sink for the last two hours, so you have only a few precious seconds of cold water before it turns scalding hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Tiggum posted:

"Hubby" and "preggers". :argh:

Also, couples who say "we're pregnant". No, only one of you is.

People who refer to their children as "babies."

Your kids are in the first grade, they aren't babies.

And their grandparents who call them "grandbabies."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Not really a pet peeve, but I do love watching the assholes at red lights who constantly edge their car forward waiting for the light to change so they can speed away. Yesterday morning I saw one who was expecting it to change for so long that by the time it did, he was in the middle of the intersection.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

bradzilla posted:

Where do you live that you still get paper prescriptions? I haven't been given an actual piece of paper for a prescription in like a decade. Even when I need painkillers it's still sent direct to the pharmacy electronically.

And the doctors still gently caress that up. As someone who works in a pharmacy, I get paper, electronic, and faxed (yeah, the volume of faxed RXs is staggering), and the doctor's office can't even do the basic things. Here's an electronic RX for John Smith. No other form of identification is given. No social, no medicare number, no address, no DOB. Nothing at all. And then we have to call them to get the information, and it's always followed by an exasperated sigh, and the message "The doctor is really busy right now. You'll have to call back later."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

People who use the phrase " . . . is my spirit animal." gently caress off.

Or refer to something as "The darkest timeline". gently caress off, and gently caress you Dan Harmon.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

One time I went to Whataburger and got trapped in the drive-thru for, I poo poo you not, 30 goddamn minutes because the people in front of me had ordered enough food for at least 10-15 people. They had to get their food in at least three giant plastic shopping bags.

If you're ordering food for more than 2 people go the gently caress inside.

Once went to White Castle (Don't judge me), and when we went to make our order in the drive thru, the cashier told us we'd probably want to go somewhere else since the car in front of us had ordered a hundred burgers.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Taco Gringo? I laugh every time I drive by one of those. Might as well be a big sign reading "THIS 'MEXICAN' FOOD IS SAFE FOR WHITE PEOPLE OK"

Just googled it, and I'm kind of disappointed that the name isn't actually "Taco Gringo?"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I'm part of a union, and holy crap, the union is the worst thing ever. People argue, "well, it's protecting your job." True, but it's also protecting the jobs of many of my co-workers who should have been fired a long time ago.

There are people who come in and spend the first hour of their day just talking to their friends, and the moment a supervisor tells them that they need to get to work, it's off to the union to complain that the supervisor is yelling at them, bullying them, treating them unfairly!

Don't feel like doing a certain task today that you did yesterday? Run to the union!

The people at my job are so lazy, and they use the union as a crutch to continue being lazy.

It's gotten to the point where the supervisors are neutered, so no work gets done. And then the people start complaining when the work gets transferred to other facilities who are actually working, and wonder why the threat of layoffs are looming.

Davros1 has a new favorite as of 16:21 on Jan 16, 2016

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

double post! Whoops!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Sir PigglyWiggly posted:

People who can't accept you won't like all the music they like, and people who can't accept that you like music they don't like.

So no Frank I told you I don't wanna listen to some loving indie metal band that is the best poo poo ever, I don't care if my music sucks ball gently caress off, let me enjoy my break in peace.

On the same note people who make you loving explain why you like poo poo. I like it, that is all you need to know. This causes my brain to drop feel good chemicals, that is more than enough loving reason, no matter what you magic loving words you expect me to throw out to convince you it won't make a difference, I like what I like you like what you like.

gently caress Frank

I feel the same as you, but apparently this thread has taught me that you have to like all types of music, and listen to all of it, or you're a horrible human being.

i.e. "I don't like rap or country."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Ozz81 posted:

Opposite this is people who criticize something but give no good reason why outside "I dunno, it sucked/I didn't like it/it was bad". Elaborate a little if you expect someone to take you seriously - like, I get it if the action scenes gave motion sickness, or the plot was slow, or the story wasn't fleshed out coherently, or the actors/actresses didn't seem like they put effort in. It's just as much a lame rear end excuse as the "you create something" one.

This is why CD gets so unbearable at times. Not because people don't elaborate, but because of the people who are so in love with a film, that they seem to want a shot by shot analysis of why each scene was awful before they will even begin to accept that someone didn't like a film.

I'm also getting tired of people using the phrase "That's what [thing] was supposed to be" as a defense against criticism.

i.e.: "I didn't like Kylo Ren because he was weak, spineless character who lacked any sense of menace."
"Well, that's what he was supposed to be, therefore, you're wrong in not liking him."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Goddamn Particle posted:

Public toilet seats should be made like those theater seats that lift up unless you're sitting on them.

They'd just poo poo on them when they're up, and you know it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Yesterday when I was walking to the shops, a car didn't immediately start moving when the light turned green, so the drivers of the two cars behind him both honked at him. One of them just gave the horn a brief tap to get the guy's attention. The other one leant on the horn for about 30 seconds, well after the line had started moving and the car that had been in the way was already around the corner. :argh:

A while back, I hadn't yet come to a complete stop at a stop sign when the fucker behind me began blasting his horn for me to go.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I like when you're out in the intersection on a left turn lane and:

it turns yellow
you go
it turns red
and the three cars behind you also turn left.

Motherfuckers, it wasn't yellow when you turned, and you weren't out in the intersection.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Solid Cake posted:

People will pull to a stop at a red light, but they'll be like two car lengths away from the line where you're supposed to stop. Why are they stopping way back there?? It's so infuriating. Like I could see not slowing down quickly enough and accidentally rolling over the line, but you'd have to be very purposefully stopping that soon. Why??

Is it a left turn lane? There's a couple of busy streets I have to go down every day, and if I don't get the arrow it can be incredibly frustrating. On some turn lanes, you can actually see the part of the lane that will trigger the arrow if you stop on it (it's usually two to three car lengths back). Of course, I only do this if I'm the only one in the lane, and if someone's comes up behind my car, I'll move up.

Also, if it's a turn lane, and there's a turn lane coming from another direction, I'll leave some space. Some of those fuckers cut way too close.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Parasol Prophet posted:

I hate it when people get frothingly angry at games. Seriously, it's a game. The purpose of a game is to be fun. If it's not fun anymore (which, if you're screaming and cursing at an inanimate object because you lost, it obviously isn't), why the gently caress are you still playing!?

Don't get me wrong, I get frustrated at games too. The difference is that when it gets too frustrating and stops being fun, I stop playing. Then I do something else, cool off, and usually come back and start winning again because I'm not furiously mashing buttons and making stupid mistakes due to anger. But I rarely get to that point in the first place because, again, IT'S A loving GAME.

I just don't get why people put themselves through that poo poo. No one's forcing you to keep playing until you have a rage-fueled aneurysm. You don't have to do that.

People who take video games way too seriously are my pet peeve. Any accomplishment one's made in the game is meaningless, stop acting like it's some great achievement.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Ozz81 posted:

Sports team fans that argue about whether or not someone is "allowed" to be a fan of multiple teams. Case in point: I live in Nebraska and college sports here can get pretty crazy, to the point that fans of the UNL Cornhuskers will argue with fans of other college teams like the Creighton Blue Jays or UNO Mavericks about how they need to "pick a side" or they're not "real fans" if they don't support one specific team. It gets especially bad with the Husker fans, but since I'm not a college sports buff I just toss in their face that it's been almost 20 years since that poo poo team has won a national championship. gently caress y'all, you want to annoy me I'll spit truth and watch you flail helplessly and make excuses because you have nothing better to do with your life than cling to a college sports team and live vicariously through them, you losers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN1WN0YMWZU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

More bathroom chat. Forget short necked taps. I miss actual hot water. Now that most sinks seem to use motion sensors to run the temperature never seems to get above barely not cold because I can't regulate the amount of hot versus cold. I don't need near boiling heat, but warm water would be nice. Plus hot water is better for cleaning my hands. I miss you actually hot water :(. (In public washrooms and the like obviously)

Come to my job, where you can't get cold water out of the taps. It goes from hot, to scalding. Got dust or something in your eye? Well, better go buy a bottle of water from the cafeteria to flush it out.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I'll curse with "bloody hell" at work to stop myself from blurting something far worse.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

cash crab posted:

Only sort of related, but I got into a bad habit of saying things like "darn it", "oopsie doodle" and other mince words. I can't help myself and I hate it, and it's so embarrassing to slip on a patch of ice and yell "oopie-doop" really loud rather than something normal, like "poo poo".

Also, sometimes I turn into an old-timey prospector and say things like "consarn it". Or just say "Curses!"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Che Delilas posted:

Reminds me of the WORK BOOTS radio commercials. "Real men, doing real work. Digging ditches, swinging hammers, building structures."

Yes, some jobs are harder than others. But motherfucker, you don't get to imply that using your mind instead of your muscles is not work. Try staring at an abyss of spaghetti code for 9 hours trying to fix something you didn't even know your product did when you sat down that morning, and then tell me you aren't exhausted. Just because you don't have to mummify yourself in icyhot patches at the end of the day doesn't mean you didn't do any work.

(Insert joke about goons not having muscles so how would we know har har)

Funny, I'm annoyed by the exact opposite, where if you due physical labor then it means you're just too stupid to do real work, like in an office.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Skype is the worst for this, because you can't even exit it from the Skype menu, you specifically have to go to the system tray. Why would you design a program so that there's no way to exit it from within the program?

All of the computers at my job have Skype. None of them have cameras. I don't know why they installed it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Tiggum posted:

I assume they have microphones though? I almost never bother with video when I use Skype. :shrug:

Nope!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Murphy Brownback posted:

when you send email updates to your boss when you're blackout drunk and they expect you to explain it to them the next work day. I have no idea what that is, it's very wrong, can we just pretend you never received that and instead got this correct plot?

Sounds like the boss should be the one with the pet peeve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

Related - hiccup "cures". Anyone about to chime in about how oh no you can totally cure them just hold your breath and swallow while scaring a glass of water can save their breath because none of that poo poo works consistently.

I imitate a hiccup in between the real hiccups and it stops me hiccupping. Totally works!