Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
If I'm out and about with one other person and they start talking on their phone for more than just a quick informational call. So I'm stuck sitting there awkwardly while they have a conversation about nothing with someone else. My mother is the worst offender of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

A thing about the express lane at the grocery store. I don't mind if someone is a couple items over the limit. Whatever. That doesn't slow the line down nearly as my three other peeves when it comes to the express lane.

First is when people don't have their payment ready. This is true for any line though. You KNOW you're gonna be paying soon, get your poo poo out once you've unloaded your cart/basket.

Second, and far worse, is when people in the express lane pay with a check. You're defeating the whole purpose by using an obsolete method of payment that takes 10 times longer than cash or debit. And if you have a checking account, you have a debit card. There is literally NO reason to use a check. It's not safer, it's not easier, it's not faster. Stop using them at retail locations.

Third is on the store, and that's when they put the new guy on the express lane. I can kind of understand that the put them there because smaller transactions are easier to train on, but they're still a lot slower than the employees who have been there for a while. This completely defeats the purpose of an Express lane.

Express lanes should be manned by the fastest employee and should be credit/debit only. Or just go to the single queue for all the check lanes method. I don't know why all stores don't do that. It's the fastest and fairest system.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

I don't. :shobon:

Every guy on OkCupid who doesn't want kids also doesn't want a monogamous relationship.

I do. :shobon:

Which gets to my pet peeve on dating websites. I hate that many sites give me daily matches with women whom I have literally nothing in common with. I hate that I have to literally send out hundreds of messages to even get one reply, and never get a message sent from a woman who browsed my page. And it's not just me. Every guy I know has had the exact same experience. Everyone I know who says that online dating has been great and gotten them lots of dates is a woman, except for one guy, but even he said he was on for six months and sent hundreds of messages before meeting someone.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

My little pet peeve is when people hit their brakes, but do so so lightly that it accomplishes basically nothing. It seems like drat near every time I drive I'll be behind someone and their brake lights will come on. All I do is take my foot off of the gas pedal and I don't catch up to them at all. It's like they feel they need to be pressing a pedal at all times, even if it's just a little bit.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

The idea of being fashionably late to a party.

I'm hosting a Halloween party tonight. Over 20 people are coming. The party was set to start 10 minutes ago, and there is nobody here yet. I wanted it to start at this time, but I guess if I wanted that I should have set the time an hour earlier. But then people would complain about me starting it too early.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Nest makes smoke detectors that you can turn off with your phone and instead of chirping they send you a text that you should replace the batteries.

When we finally buy a house those are the first things getting installed.

I didn't know how badly I wanted this until now. I will be investigating this product immediately.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

When I see a list of the deadliest animals and things like rats and mosquitoes are at the top. That's bullshit.

A hippo loving you up is not the same as a mosquito transmitting a disease, and the latter should not count. The malaria virus killed them, not the mosquito. Snake bites do count because they produce the venom.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

There's a lady in my office that is driving me insane. I think she's in her 40s,but it's hard to tell. This woman hasn't put any effort into taking care of herself as evidenced by her being greatly overweight and having a voice not unlike that of Dr Girlfriend from Venture Brothers.

That I could accept, but she coughs constantly. Like, every couple of minutes she lets out a series of phlegmy coughs. I thought when I started that maybe she was just sick that week, but nope. It's constant. I wish I could go to HR about it, but how can they take action on someone for coughing?

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I had a BBQ earlier this year and I made a Facebook page and most people rsvped on this. I made a post stating that I had the meat and non-alcoholic beverages covered and that everyone should bring a side dish, and post what they were bringing so we didn't get duplicates. 3 of the 20 guests posted a reply and of course we then ended up with 15 bags of chips.

Also, gently caress anyone who just clicks maybe as an RSVP and says nothing else. Maybe is not an RSVP.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

My roommates dog is the calmest, most chill dog I have ever known. On a walk he would not leave my side, would not run off, and would not charge at people or other dogs. He is very friendly and him hurting anyone seems nearly impossible.

I always have him on a leash during walks. Always.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Poorly timed stoplights. There's one in particular near my house that's especially bad. There's a main road and a small little crossroad that has a stoplight. It has no sensors and just works on time.

Now, based on my observations, at least 95%of the traffic on this intersection, maybe more, comes from the main road. But this light gives equal time to both directions. And it's green for 40 seconds (I've timed it.) So when traveling the main road, you have to stop at this light pretty often, and most of the time not one single car goes through on the crossroad, unless it's peak traffic times.

I get home late one a week and go through this intersection every time, and due to its timing with another light, I stop at it most times and not once has a car come through on the crossroad at this time.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I think part of it is that she has a very...distinct/unique looking face, so it's hard to not think "Emma Stone the actress" when seeing her in a movie.

This, but with Leonardo DiCaprio.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

gently caress poo poo should be mandatory for two years for everyone.

All this would do is make people say "well I got out of retail, why can't they? "

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

One of the hot dog guys at Detroit Tigers games was fired because he berated a fan for using ketchup

Sounds like wrongful termination to me. :colbert:

(It's me, I'm the anti ketchup snob.)

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Sex Falcon posted:

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but it is the loving WORST

I know right? Why people would set the roll on there clockwise and not counter clockwise is just baffling.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

When you multiply one number by another, the operation is not called "timesing".

Also minusing. You multiply and subtract, not times and minus. I'm sure some mouthbreather out there has also said he has plussed two numbers together.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

liquidypoo posted:

People who have taken it upon themselves to add white space to videos so they can add their text & emoji reaction to the video itself before posting it on Facebook. I have no idea why I see that so much, but it's completely stupid.

For me it's basically every single thing that had happened to the medium of video since smartphones that can take video became common.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Riatsala posted:

Chattanooga, TN

Well why not just commute on the choo choo?

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Off topic, people who leave time on the microwave. It's not a parking meter. No one's going to use that 15 seconds you left. Just hit cancel!

People at my work do this all the time. And of course the microwave doesn't do anything else until you hit cancel. So half the time I put something in the microwave, then try to enter how long I want it to cook, and nothing happens. Sure, I could just take the extra time to look at the display and hit cancel, but that extra 5 seconds adds up.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Actually, leaving time on the clock is really only number 3 on the list of microwave pet peeves at work.

Obviously, people who don't cover their food and then leave big messes are the worst. That's a given.

But closer after that is people who put stuff in, start it, then leave. Inevitably, it finishes before they get back and now their cooked food sits in the microwave while other people need to use it. So now you're delaying everyone else's lunch.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Thin Privilege posted:

What bothers me is the morons making the image using a horrible font. GRE AT AG AIN.

Don't blame the font for bad kerning.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

genetic_knockout posted:

Yet another driving peeve: the road I normally take to work is under construction right now. They have been intermittently closing the right lane to accommodate this, however, they have basically just left the right lane closed sign up every single day, even on days when it actually is open. The construction really clogs up the road too, so trying to get over into the left lane is a pain in the rear end. I turn right off of this street, so I need to be in the right lane eventually. Basically, every time I fight my way over into the left lane, it turns out the right lane isn't closed after all, so I look like a jackass and have to merge back over. On days where I go "gently caress it, looks like it's open today" and just stay in the right lane, it is inevitably closed just a little further down than normal. Then I have to merge over at the last minute, again looking like a total jackass. Such a minor thing, but its so annoying! I wish they would just take down the sign when the lane is actually open!

Mine is that people don't realize that waiting until the last minute to merge is what you're supposed to do and actually makes traffic flow faster. It's called zipper merging. It works.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

I call them Amish driver.

Two lanes are merging. Well, one is merging to the other. Do you, as a driver in the lane that is ending:

A. Speed the gently caress up so you can pass as many cars as you can
B. Zipper merge.

THEY NEVER CHOOSE B. NEVER. gently caress YOU AMISH DRIVERS WHO REFUSE TO ZIPPER!

So you speed up, and the dude behind you speeds up, and today we almost had a five car pile-up because no one in that loving lane wanted to zipper!

You do realize that zipper merging means waiting to the last minute to merge, and everyone goes in at the spot of the lane mergin, alternating one lane after the other, like a zipper. Doing A leads to B.

Going in to the continuing lane whenever you see an open spot is NOT zipper merging, and is actually much worse for traffic flow. So, speeding the gently caress up and passing cars, waiting til the last minute... that's actually the best option for everyone, and is what zipper merging actually refers to.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

yeah I eat rear end posted:

When you buy frozen chicken wings and almost all of them end up being the flat (aka worst) kind.

You can have the drummies then. The flat ones are the best. They have way more meat than the drummies do.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

People setting off fireworks at night on July 2nd. Its not the 4th yet assholes. Some of us have to work at 7am on the 3rd and don't appreciate loud constant bangs from outside until midnight. I get being lenient on the 4th itself, but these people are breaking noise laws and fireworks laws (the types they're setting off are illegal in this state).

Now I'm going to be tired and cranky all day today.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Where the hell do you firework-complainers live? I'm in west Texas, aka a national capital of trucks and hicks, and fireworks here get shot off on the fourth and almost only then. Hell, stray fireworks are more likely around the new year, if anything.

Suburb directly next to Minneapolis. Like, a dense housing area. Been constant all weekend. I didn't mind much Friday and Saturday, but on a Sunday night that poo poo is not acceptable.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

teenytinymouse posted:

When tv shows and movie insert animal noises when an animal is on screen to make sure you know YES THATS A HORSIE, WHAT DOES THE HORSIE SAY?

See also any bird of prey with the red kite screech slammed in there for no loving reason

Agreed, but then for every single bird of prey they use the stock scream of a red tailed hawk. Especially for eagles. So much to the point that people now think that's what eagles sound like.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

One time, for a reason I can't recall, I had to type the name Andre into my phone. Now, every single time I type the word "and" it auto corrects to Andre. gently caress you phone.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

The Black Stones posted:

People who are sick yet come into work anyway.

Guy left on Monday because he was obviously sick, Tuesday morning I see him back again and I think “oh, he must be better”

Nope, he’s even worse and coughing and hacking everywhere so they have to find a replacement again and send him home. Just call in sick. Nobody is praising you for being hero for working when you’re ill. You actively piss me off at that point because now I’m getting an extremely plugged up nose and I’m worried it’s a precursor to a cold. Just stay the gently caress home and take the time needed to recover and you’ll get better much faster.

This is more the fault of businesses and an environment where taking time off due to illness is punished.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Tiggum posted:

I'm pretty sure it's just a complete lack of effort. They don't bother adjusting the audio of their clips, they just slap the pre-prepared outro on the end and upload it, and for whatever reason the volume of the actual clip was much lower than the volume of the outro.

High volume media in general. When the media is loud, you have less difference between the the parts of the audio that are naturally louder or quiet. So you get a less crisp, muddied sound. I have a volume knob on my speakers. If I want it louder, I'll turn it up.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

My pet peeve is that I had something really good to post in this thread that I thought of while driving earlier, and now I can't remember what it was and it's pissing me off.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Double postin because I remembered the thing.

It's automatic car windows. I want to open my window 2 inches to just let a little air in. But then my car decides that means I want to open the window ALL the way. So I stop it and try to get it to go up a bit to where I want. Where it then decides that I must want the window completely closed. Getting the window to be partially open where I want is infuriatingly difficult.

I have scoured my owners manual and can find no way to turn this behavior off.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Guessing an issue with the switch, my last car used to do the same thing. Only way around it was doing teeny little taps on the button to inch it up or down, never got it fixed since the car died. New one doesn't do that though so pretty sure the switch was worn out, car was over 15 years old and never had any work done on the power windows or locks.

It's a 2017 with fewer than 10,000 miles on it. Been doing it since day one. Pretty sure it's crappy programming to try to be useful.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

There's a new trend of responding to offensive or idiotic things on social media with a single sentence phrase correcting it, but with the clapping hands emoji after every word.

It feels like most of the time the correction is good and right, but those clapping hands make it instantly insufferable. It just screams smugness and pretentiousness. People need to stop doing it.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I really think that some people treat the pedals as on/off switches and don't realize that they are variable. Accelerate to 70 mph, let the car just coast until it's going 60, back on 100% throttle until it hits 70 again, repeat forever.

I hate the people who think you must be pushing a pedal at all times. And this is insanely common as I would say that every time I drive at singe point I'm behind someone and their brake lights come on. I will just take my foot off the gas and find that doing so slows me down enough that I do not close the distance at all. They're hitting their brakes so lightly they're effectively doing nothing. But they gotta push it! Can't not be pushing a pedal!

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

People who walk slowly across crosswalks when there is a car waiting for them. If you don't have some kind of physical ailment, then move your rear end and get out of the way so other people can go.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

I walk at a walking pace, I'm not speeding up for some impatient jerk in a car.

If they start creeping into the crosswalk area or are like halfway into it or something (as I've seen countless times), I will slow down, because gently caress 'em. They can wait another 5 seconds. They've got the entire road and I've been relegated to a tiny-rear end sidewalk and crosswalks, all of the rest has been taken from me as a pedestrian. So gently caress 'em.

End the car age, get them the hell out of the cities.

(Disclaimer: I also drive occasionally, but I'm well aware that pedestrians and bicyclists have the right of way)

You're being a dick. Now, if a car is pulling forward and encroaching on the crosswalk, then of course they're in the wrong. And of course pedestrians have the right of way and should be given space.

But politeness is a two way street. I do what I preach. If I'm a pedestrian and I see a car is waiting on me, I jog across. Not moving quickly across crosswalks is like not holding a door open for someone behind you or not holding an elevator door.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Mother fuckers who are lighting off fireworks after 9pm on nights that are not fridays or Saturdays, and not the 4th itself. Assholes in my neighborhood were lighting them off until 11PM last night. Some of us still have work today dammit!

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Barenaked for the Holidays is a pretty good listen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

People who don't know where to stop at intersections with stoplights. There is almost always a line on the ground telling you where top stop. Sometimes it's a crosswalk, sometimes a white line. Yet I'm always seeing cars that are either on top of the line or even across it (this is especially bad for crosswalks) or are way back from the line, often more than a full car length. Why is this so hard for people?