Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I think I did something like this in the previous thread, but it happened again so I'll rant about it:

Articles (newspaper or otherwise) that bury the important details of a story midway through the piece, semi-explicitly because they want you to feel a specific way and those details would derail that feeling.

Case in point, today in the paper there was an article about a bunch of teens dying in an unfortunate car accident. They talk a bit about the two teens who died and how they made everyone happy, etc. All-around :cry: story.

Then, buried halfway through the article, you read that a) the teenager driving them was probably breaking the the laws about how many other teenagers they could drive around, and at what times, b) they were driving in a thick soup of fog that many motorists reported as having visibility less than 5ft in front of you, c) ran a red light and d) based on where they were trying to go within the time they had to get there, were likely driving a lot faster than the speed limit.

Reporters, I am perfectly capable of reading a story with the log line of "teens gently caress up, die in process". I don't need to have it written as "A horrible tragedy occurred, a bunch of teens were killed, it's so sad and completely unpreventable... oh and they were being idiots on multiple levels!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Short films that are basically long-form teasers.

Take the short film Plurality that I just watched. It's a great "oh poo poo I can't wait for this to come out" thing, but not a short film.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
When the chain of processes (for lack of a better term) fails on my phone or tablet (both androids)

Like, let's say I'm in Awful and I click a YouTube link. YouTube app loads, I watch the video, then I hit back and I'm back in Awful. This is the correct chain of processes.

But sometimes, to continue this example, hitting back doesn't send me back to Awful. It'll send me to the main YouTube page. So I have to manually select Awful again from the task manager. It's a trivial, small thing, but goddamn it's annoying as poo poo when it happens. The worst thing about it is that I can't figure out why it works properly sometimes, and why it doesn't always.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
If you want to talk to me when I'm playing a video game, watching a movie, or listening to a podcast, please say something and wait for me to turn off/pause/mute whatever I'm doing before talking. Maybe you can process three people talking about a movie, me shooting things, and hearing about whatever you're talking about at the same time, but I loving can't and adding me going waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait to the combo isn't helpful.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 07:10 on Jan 2, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

God Over Djinn posted:

I have the opposite of this. Someone close to me somehow just can't process more than one source of sound at once. If you're in the car with him, he refuses to have the radio on unless everyone stays 100% absolutely silent. If you talk to him or to anyone else in the car, the radio instantly gets turned off and won't go back on again until everyone's silent again. If he's playing a game or listening to music and you say something casual that doesn't even require a response, like 'hey that's neat' or whatever, he has to turn it off and then have you repeat yourself. He swears up and down he doesn't have any hearing problems and his hearing seems normal otherwise, like he doesn't ask you to repeat yourself a lot during a normal conversation or anything. And it makes me absolutely insane. I just want to be able to point out a pretty sunset while listening to music okay :(

Its a known fact that humans aren't really capable of dealing with multiple things at a time, only rapidly switching their focus from one to another.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

This was me for a long time. I got the habit because of junior high and high school where we only had 20 minute lunch periods. So in 20 minutes you had to get to the cafeteria (and in junior high, all the classrooms were on the complete opposite side of the building,) wait in line, eat food, and then get back to class/to your next class.

So with walking and waiting in line, you really had like 10 minutes to eat and "socialize." So everyone learned to power through food as fast as possible, and the habit just stuck with me.

I finally was made super aware of it a few years ago and had to make an effort to slow down my eating. I'm usually still the first one done if I'm eating with other people, but not by nearly as much time as before.

I'm the same boat, because of 30min lunch breaks at a job where having to spend most of that waiting for the food to be cooked in-house. Long gone from the job, still power through quickly as a habit.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Oh man, retail peeves!

"Sorry, sir, I can only give $20 in cash back."

"BUT LAST WEEK I WAS IN HERE AND I GOT A HUNDRED BACK!"

No. No, you did not, you lying piece of poo poo.

See also: "I'm taking my business elsewhere!"

Happens in the service industry, too. From my food-serving days at a hospital:

"Ok for lunch, I'll have a hamburger and a hot dog and a slice of pizza."

"Sorry, but you can only have one entrée at a time, but if you're hungry later you can... "

"Bullshit, I did that yesterday and I got all three!"

"Sir, I was your server yesterday. You had a burger." (unspoken: bullshit, you fucker, we couldn't fit that much food on a single tray if we wanted to)

"Well maybe it was the other day!"

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
My dry, flakey scalp has been a long-term pet peeve of mine. A day of not using enough shampoo makes me look like I haven't showered in months, and the dandruff gets everywhere. Glasses, phone, car, it's just annoying as poo poo.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Sociopastry posted:

get dry shampoo, dude. takes all of a minute to rub in your hair if you're in a hurry and keeps you from being gross.

As cash crab pointed out, that's made it even worse for me when I've used it.

If I wasn't clear, I do shampoo my hair when I shower. "Being in a hurry" just means I don't have time to do a second round of lather-rinse. My hair is annoyingly thick.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Youtube playlists in which the creators of said playlists are lazy and don't put everything in the right chronological order. Instead of A to Z, it's Z to A.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Restaurants/etc with only one toilet in the mens washrooms. I suffer from not-quite-IBS at random times, and that mean that if Bad Things start to go down, I'm gonna have to sit there for a while, which means I'm hogging the toilet for anyone else.

I'm particularly cognizant of it, because I've regularly been the dude waiting for someone to get done, and it's unpleasant as hell.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
More toilet peeves: Folks who decide to take their breaks (this happens at restaurants a lot, but not exclusively) in the bathroom, especially If it's a only-one-toilet situation discussed earlier.

I worked at a kitchen, I completely understand that your legs are burning and want to sit down for a while and need to poo poo anyway, but come on, I need to poo poo too.

Not toilet related Peeve: buying clothes online. I'm normally shaped enough that I can usually settle for just choosing the Large size for things, but drat is if annoying when you buy something that shapes their clothing differently enough to be a problem.

Like, right now I'm wearing a hoodie that I impulse bought. It's a Large, and it fits perfectly on me except the neck, of all places. I would've totally been swimming in an XL, but part of me would rather have that than the mild sensation of choking.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Ozz81 posted:

Opposite this is people who criticize something but give no good reason why outside "I dunno, it sucked/I didn't like it/it was bad". Elaborate a little if you expect someone to take you seriously - like, I get it if the action scenes gave motion sickness, or the plot was slow, or the story wasn't fleshed out coherently, or the actors/actresses didn't seem like they put effort in.

I feel like I'm attacking you and I apologize for it, but this mentality is my pet peeve a lot of the time. 9 times out of 10, we're talking about an entertainment product that doesn't need more than "I didn't like it" or its opposite. Either you liked it of you didn't; the rest is SMG-esque intellectual masterbation.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

docbeard posted:

Other Person: Hi, docbeard, I need you to do THING.

Me: Okay

Other Person: Because I need THING to get done because...

Me: All right, I'll do it.

Other Person: ...and so it's important that THING get done because...

Me: Yes, okay, I'll do it.

Other Person: ...so if you could do THING I would really appreciate it.

Me: I will do THING.

Other Person: Could you do THING for me?

Me: ARGH

Every goddamn conversation I have at this office some days.

This is what happens when my dad asks me to do something. "Put that song on this thumbstick" versus "So I was talking to Katie and she wasn't feeling well, so we didn't talk long, but we talked about music and :words: :words:"

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I missed some of the Pedestrian Chat, but I'll submit a related pet peeve anyway:

Pedestrians that, when walking out of a building into the parking lot and seeing a car coming across the road, don't make any effort to speed up a little bit if there's car traffic on the roads surrounding the attached parking lot. You're the pedestrian, you have the right-of-way, but if you're walking and cars are stopped, the least you could do is speed up a half-step to get out of the way.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Places that fill their glasses with 70% ice, and 30% actual fluid. I drink a lot of water when I eat due to dysphagia issues, and I know it's done to save time standing there refilling it, but come on.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
It does, it's just that I don't always remember that the restaurant in question does it, or its a place I rarely go, etc.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

It always annoys me in pubs, because when I ask for a glass of water I don't think to say "no ice". If I wanted ice, I'd ask for ice. If I ask for a glass of water I expect to get exactly that. Why do they always assume I want ice?

I asked this to my girlfriend who is a bartender, and it's as I assumed: it's quicker to dump a bunch of ice into the cup and fill up the remainder than sit there and fill a full glass. Plus, most folks who order water (especially at a bar) usually wind up not drinking most of it anyway unless you're someone like me (and you, I guess).

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Stoatbringer posted:

You clearly need a better water sommelier

:wtc:

I drink a lot of water. I like water, a lot. But this is some crazy poo poo. poo poo like Voss is expensive just because of the bottle, not because it's any better or worse than anything else.

(plus, he's entirely wrong, water should be borderline freezing.)

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

Oh, and also, interesting-sounding headlines that, when you click them, turn out to be videos instead of articles. :argh:

Phone posting, so I can't link to it but there's an Onion article that's basically "Man finds, yet again, it's a loving video."

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Doesn't happen very often, as I'm no jetsetter: hotel bathroom fixtures that don't really make it clear how to turn on the shower. I spent a solid 10 minutes until I realized that I had to pull down on the faucet, from underneath, to get the shower head to pour water.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Murphy Brownback posted:

People who when asked where they are from, instead of saying "I'm from san francisco" or "i'm from new york", they use the ~trendy~ vaguer term for the area, like "I'm from the Bay Area" or "I'm from the City", or the absolute worst "I'm from the West/East coast". It's even more annoying if you live around another bay (like Tampa Bay, for example) and they coopt this so you have to say "which one" all the time.

I simultaneously agree with you, but I simultaneously cannot stand when my relatives say I'm "from Chicago", even though I live nearly an hour away from the city. I can't really reconcile the two statements.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I've always figured that like Doctor Who actors or Star Wars movies, the water you drank the most when young determines what you like and what Feels Different.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
My phone is getting a bit old, and every time it decides to go unresponsive (even if it's only for half to a full minute) is enough to internally* drive me up a wall. I just want to do something, don't make me play the "Turn off the screen and turn it on to confirm it's hanging because the phone didn't even go to the lock screen" minigame.

Another phone-specific pet peeve is Google's map app. Generally works fine, but I wish it'd more often put up that little alert that you're going to be taking a left or a right soon after the current turn. It shows it sometimes, but never when it'd be really helpful to know that Im going from a far-left turn to a far-right turn in 10 seconds.

* Degrees of internally, of course. The kid next door has learned what impersonations are, and the one he has of me is me starting at my phone with a slight :sigh:.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I get that jump-around effect on a lot of places, especially if it's an image-heavy page on my mobile. Whatever system in place doesn't immediately set images to whatever size they are. A 10 pixel placeholder becomes a 800 pixel image, multiplied by X images, means a lot of posts suddenly expanding in size.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Hearing the phrase that something in a movie/video game/comic/whatever "wasn't earned" is a nails on chalkboard thing for me. In the bulk of my experiences hearing it, it's a person just refusing to accept something the product is putting out there and/or not understanding/acknowledgeding the throughlines that lead up to it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Two phone-related pet peeves:

- I want to use Android Pay, but it won't let me use it unless I put on a stronger lock screen than a swipe screen. I get why they want it, but gently caress that noise.

- Because of stupid privacy wonks bitching a fit about it, I can't just turn on my GPS on my phone, noooooo. That'd be too convenient. No, I have to see a cautionary screen reminding me that turning on my phone's GPS will allow other people to know where I am (:aaaaa:). There use to be two of such screens, but a random software upgrade allowed me to disable one. But not both.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm blushing (and my ears are beet red) and I don't know why, and it's bugging the poo poo out of me.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I've always treated the "red light cameras are just for making money" thing on the same level as someone assuming that a person who likes X is secretly a paid shill for X. Sure, yes, there are cases where it's true, but it's not enough to justify assuming it wholesale.

You hear about the dude kvetching about getting a ticket for a false positive, you don't hear from the people who ran a red light and got properly flagged. If it makes money off those people (or those too lazy to contest if they feel they were wronged), no skin off my rear end.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 05:48 on May 3, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Ryoshi posted:

It's not a matter of following too closely, you intellectually challenged chucklefuck, it's that it's literally impossible to safely come to a complete stop in 1.3 seconds traveling at 45 mph, and that will result in accidents when someone slamming on the brakes ends up in the middle of an intersection.

This sounds like you're proving what he's saying. If you know it's a short light, you should be driving in such a way that you're not going to end up in the middle of the intersection to obey the signal.

One of the things my driver's ed teacher taught me was "let the other guy get the ticket if he wants to do something ticketable". Do they not teach that sort of thing, generally?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Ytlaya posted:

In addition to the "how would a driver know unless they go through it regularly" point, even if you assume drivers know and are being dumb, saying "DRIVERS SHOULD STOP BEING DUMB" does nothing to solve the problem. Creating a situation where peoples' dumb behavior results in serious problems (in this case car accidents) is generally a bad thing. In this case the solution is to change the situation so that drivers being dumb and not leaving enough space doesn't result in a bunch of car accidents, not to yell "DUMB DRIVERS ARE DUMB!" at a cloud.

You're right, saying "drivers should stop being dumb" does nothing. Dumb drivers getting the stick for being dumb drivers isn't exactly raising the needle on my outrage-o-meter, though. The accident causing instigator isn't the red light cameras, it's not obeying the rules of the road in the first place. Red light cameras exist because giving bad drivers a ticket for being bad drivers (they'd appeal if they legitimately felt they were wronged) is better than doing nothing. And if it gives the cities more clink, it's fine by me.

It's like people kvetching back in the 90s about DRM, which was a pet peeve of mine at the time. If you didn't pirate everything and their mother, we wouldn't have had that poo poo. But we had DRM because of lovely people, and we have red light cameras because of lovely drivers.

(for the record, twice ticketed by red light cameras, both successfully appealed.)

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I have an irrational dislike of the phrase I've never been when you've never been somewhere.

The phrase is "I've never been there", goddammit, and I'd genuinely love to know where not using the last word comes from.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Ytlaya posted:

While there are some situations where it can sound weird (for example someone saying "I've never watched" in response to someone asking if they've watched a movie), that obviously isn't an issue if a bunch of people are already speaking that way.

If a bunch of people started saying "I've never watched", it'd just be as weird as "I've never been". :colbert:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I shudder to think what sort of problems you've gotten into (or what lovely insurance you have) that lead to lovely situations that promote a "insurance companies are pure evil" mentality. Out of everyone involved in my car(s) getting smashed to poo poo, the insurance company was the smoothest part of it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Insurance companies are evil.

Insurance companies provide a good and proper service whose customers are in a pissy mood when having to deal with them. Anyone who works with people like that (especially with an 'your job is inherently evil' delusion going on) deserve medals.

Closest I ever got to that, luckily, was working as a food server at a kitchen. One of the first things you learn is that you're not dealing with people in their best moments.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

They're businesses set up to profit from people's misfortune.

Their misfortunes would be far worse without the service they provide, to the point where it's a law in civilized places that you need to have it.

Do you hold hospitals with the same ire? Car repair services? Resturants? Outside of purely luxury items, every company is predicated on making money off some level of misfortune.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I think this is a repeat, but certain things in the bog-standard Google Maps app have seriously irked me recently.

Jesus Christ, if you're telling me to turn left and then semi-soon-after a right, I'd like to know these things early, goddammit. If I don't really know where I am (which is why I'm using my phone as a GPS), it's practically vital that I know that next step when I'm turning. The weirdest thing about this is that it does this... occasionally. Otherwise, it's "turn left here... oh and in 50 feet turn right, you are in the right lane, right?"

E: this might just be a GPS issue in the city on an older phone, but it's also really annoying when I can't get solid which-direction-am-I-facing accuracy. I couldn't remember the direction of my car tonight in a place I wasn't super familiar with, and I walked the wrong direction for 5min because my phone was pointing me in the wrong direction.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 06:40 on May 13, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Restaurants with small glasses/cups. I don't really blame them specifically, I just drink a lot more water when I eat than most people, but drat do I hate asking for refills.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
My pet peeve is mistaking this for the FWP thread

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 04:33 on May 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Having to log in (especially if it's not even an actual log in, just a splash screen with a log in button) for a place's WiFi. Connect, wait for my device to open a browser window (if it does that automatically, sometimes I have to do this manually), press button to say OK, wait for that to actually really connect me...

Just let me connect instantly!