Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

At the risk of sounding like a complete nutter, certain sounds make me irrationally angry. Wet smacking mouth noises, noisy food like apples and crisps, people biting their nails and so on. I'm absolutely fine if I'm in a group and there is a general hubbub of ambient noise, but if I'm in a really quiet class or in the library and another student is just going to town on an apple I become fixated on it and feel an overwhelming urge to flee the room before I flip.

My father in law is especially bad as he will sit infront of the telly with crackers and cheese and eat super slowly with a lot of noise and also this strange internal moaning and wheezing sound, like the work of eating is putting such a stress on his body he has to groan with the effort. Spending an evening sitting next to him is especially tough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

My friend is an extreme case of a person who never answers the phone. Last week she texted me to come over as she had an electrician coming to her house and she didn't want to be alone with a stranger. Fair enough, I head on over and we wait for him to arrive. Her phone starts ringing and she's standing there with it in her hand but won't answer it. 'It's probably the electrician' I tell her, as he's late and her house can be hard to find. She still refused to pick up, saying something like 'Well it might be him... But how can I be sure?' The electrician did eventually show up and said he had gotten lost and had tried calling as he desperately needed directions, my friend lied and said she never heard her phone ring.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

I'm not entirely sure I'm in the right on this one, but... People who pronounce Tokyo with three syllables 'toe-key-yo' and Kyoto as 'kee-yo-toe'. Makes me mad.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

CrotchDropJeans posted:

I seriously hate that poo poo. It's great to have a mentor, but not one who infantilizes you in front of your goddamn colleagues. I'm sure as hell not going to call one of my co-workers "Mama" or let them coo over how young and inexperienced they think I am in front of everybody. Especially since I am 30 loving years old and have a PhD.

I'm 32 and get called the 'juvenile' and 'child' by the older women in my Latin group. They also constantly 'teach' me about things from their day, as though I'm completely unaware of anything before 1982. I may not have been loving born when Steptoe & Son was first broadcast but I'm still aware of its existence.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Oh man, barky lil dogs. I have one and my peeve is other dog owners. Hear me out now!

My border terrier Rufus has serious fear reactivity towards other dogs. He's that 'problem dog' people tut at as if he gets near another dog he barks, lunges, screams and cries like like kid from The Exorcist. I'm working with a dog behaviourist and my vet on this, he's on a strict training course and medication to help with his anxiety. I get up at 6.00am every day and drive way out into the country to walk him so I avoid most dog walkers. I do everything in my power to keep him calm and recondition his fear response, and yet somehow loving idiot dog owners still let their dogs off lead to run right up to us whilst shouting 'it's ok my dog is fiiiiiiine'. Well mine isn't you loving moron. Even when Rufus is in full on meltdown mode these idiots still let their dogs come closer 'to say hello'. I've literally stood and yelled 'go away go away go away!' at a man who still kept walking up to us. He just seem so massively confused that I was shouting at him and didn't understand that we wanted to be left alone.

gently caress offff! I know my dog is poo poo and I do all I can to manage that. Other dog owners are annoying as gently caress.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

People who bug you on ebay. I don't use it often, and only to sell old games. Without fail when I list a bunch of stuff my inbox gets filled with idiots begging me to sell privately. I just this moment got three messages that are:

1 - "Hi, please sell to me for £8.99 plus postage."

2 - "I need you to accept my offer, pls. I need it pls."

3 - "Need to know, get back 2 me ASAP pls I need this game thanks pls."

I put it up for auction only for a reason, lay off this needy crap and bid on it like a normal person if you want it so bad. Drives me crazy.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Vox pops on the news. I don't care what random schlub A and random schlub B thinks about the issue.The idiotic questions reporters ask are worse:

Reporter: what do you think about the murdered children?
Random schlub: oh isn't it terrible! So so terrible.
Reporter: does child murder make you sad?
Random schlub: oh yes very sad.

Replete with next 6 news reports. loving lazy 'journalism'.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Silver Falcon posted:

People who don't pick up their dog poo poo. I live in the "dog friendly" section of our apartment complex, and walking across the courtyard has become akin to navigating a loving minefield. A poo poo minefield. All the poo poo seems to be clustered RIGHT around our door, too, and it sure as hell isn't us. We don't even have a dog!

The real rub? There is a conveniently placed trash can in the center of the courtyard, complete with a plastic bag dispenser for the EXPRESS purpose of picking up your dog's poo poo. There is NO loving excuse. You own a dog, you pick up after it. It is THAT loving simple!

Someone near me has taken the dog poo thing a step further. When their dog takes a poo poo they have huge wads of paper tissues and it appears that they pick up the poo/smear the poo all over the tissue then leave the tissues laying around. They also try 'discreetly hide' the poo by leaving piles of tissue on top of poo mounds. I'm not talking a few sheets either, I'm taking massive piles of poo poo smeared paper towels that then blow about. They seem to strike maybe once or twice a month and always in the same place. gently caress whoever it is, I want to punch them so hard.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

This modern craft poo poo is weak. In the Middle Ages they saw no real value in classical, pagan, texts - so super valuable one of a kind works just got wiped out, written over, cut up, used as bindings etc. A lot of what we have of the worlds most famous Latin and Greek writers came to us by sheer loving luck mostly. I'm probably wrong about the author, but I recall reading we have some work of Ovid(?) today because some medieval guy used it to glue the hosed spine on another, Christian, book.

Pet peeve. Having to think up what to cook for dinner every.loving.night. I wish humans could just live on space food capsules, or, I wish I was rich and had my own chef to cook for me.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Ha, my first thought would have been, gently caress you, make your own lunch then, ungrateful poo poo. SOR-REE for wanting my husband to eat healthy food.

I thought I was the only one! I mean, I get cravings sometimes, and can appreciate good-tasting, healthy food, but I hate the whole ritual of cooking and sitting down to dinner. It's annoying to me when people have a special occasion and the best thing they can think of to celebrate it is dinner. Like, okay, happy birthday, let's go chew for awhile. My issues with food are well-documented on these forums, so I'm sure some in here are thinking that's what this come from, and maybe it does, but part of me just gets bored thinking about meals all the time. If I want to do something fun, I'll go indoor skydiving, roller skating, dancing, hiking...anything besides passively sitting around shoving food in my face.

Dude, going out for dinner is the best thing in the world for fatigued home cooks. I'm the only one in my household who does the cooking and I get fed up with it, as well as the taste of my own style of cooking. Going out, or having a meal cooked for me is utter bliss because I get to eat food that I didn't have to plan, shop for, prep and wash up after that also is completely different from my cooking style.

Also, before even scrolling up to check the name I knew it was you. Are you eating well these days?

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

AlphaKretin posted:

No, you're totally justified in wishing you were bruised; without a visible injury fuckheads will disbelieve you and poke it to "prove" you're not hurt. I don't understand people sometimes. :ughh:

I had a weird moment last month when my dogs pulled my arm through a small swing gate and it it got sort of bent backwards against a post. It was agony and puffed up to look like a big purple marrow. I couldn't do anything with it, so went to the local non A&E hospital where a nurse felt it a bit and said it was a bad bruise. I felt cheated because something like that is at least a fracture right? For a few minutes I was bitterly dissaoppinted I wasn't getting the cast I deserved.

The thing is, I've had both my arms in plaster cast at the same time after a bike crash and it was the worst thing in the world. I loathed every second of being in casts so why oh why was I dissappointed? Also, when I broke my wrists and hands all those years ago they didn't puff remotely as badly as my bruise did. Stupid body.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

My dog woke me up this morning by licking my eye. My eye! I was unconscious and then I had a tongue pry my eyelid open and touch my eye. My day is ruined.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Wheelchair chat: I had surgery on my foot a few years ago and decided to go to the mall to get out of the house. I grabbed a wheelchair to roll around in instead of having to crutch around.

When is get to a store if it was a tight space I'd get up and crutch around instead. The way people treated me when I was in the chair vs upright was noticeable and mildly offensive. In the chair they treated me like I had a mental disability, talking down to me slowly and with simple words but treating me like a regular person when I was standing up. Having a goat fuckoff cast on my foot doesn't mean I lost any cognitive ability, people!

I broke my leg, crushed my shoulder and broke my wrists and hands a while back. Since I couldn't use crutches I spend about 6 months alternating between wheelchairs and walking frames. I gained a serious appreciation for the amount of poo poo disabled people have to put up with and even then I still have no idea because I essentialy was just the equivilant of a weekend tourist in the shoes of a disabled person. For me the biggest peeve was find a spot my wheelchair could go on and off a pavement, like, unless I wanted to fall the gently caress out of my chair and into traffic I would have to go a fair whack out of my way to find a drop curb to help me. Even worse was getting halfway to where I wated to go only to find the pavement was blocked by a car parked on it, and no drop curb to get around it.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

cash crab posted:

:( Oh, god. Me, too. I never even listened to loud music/used small arms/had any fun, I just started losing some of my hearing at around 25. I find that just cutting someone off and going, "I have very poor hearing, you will have to speak up/look at me" works pretty well. :shrug: I have stopped being embarrassed about it tbh

My hearingis just fine, but when I get into a pub or a bar and there is that murmer of background noise I find it so loving hard to hear what people are saying to me. My sister is a brain nerd and she told me about how your brain has a tipping point where it can no longer hold onto incoming information if there is too much background information crowding in too. I think I have a low brain tipping noise threshold thing. It's a peeve.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Murphy Brownback posted:

People who go over the top when describing their dinner/recipes on the internet. You aren't writing a description on a restaurant menu, if it's a steak and mashed potatoes, just call it that. It doesn't make it more impressive when you type it as "well-seasoned grass-fed pan seared well marbled 100% American ribeye accompanied with a nice russet pomme puree, hand-selected from my organic garden". It is almost always done with pretty ordinary food where they are counting on "fancy" plating/photography and descriptions to make it seem more elevated than it really is. I guess excessive adjectives in general are my pet peeve. This makes places like GWS completely unbearable to me.

I'm rather hateful towards the twee life story that comes with recipes these days. This poo poo shows up in cook books too now.

It was when I spent my autumns living in Paris, and my grand mama and I would wend our way through the prettiest little boutiques and street cafes. It was here I discovered the sweetest little pastry shop that sold real, old fashioned French treats which reminded me so much of dear grand pop-paw and his little bakery that he .. blah blah blah for three massive paragraphs.... and so I made my own version of that pain au chocolat and I present it to you now, dear reader...

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

Oh man, it's calmed down the last couple of years but I ALWAYS get multiple "Remember, remember, the 5th of November..." statuses, a bunch of people watching V For Vendetta excitedly and in one case someone graffiti'd my college campus with it. I know it's a historical event, but none of these people would give a poo poo if it weren't for that movie.

Maybe this stands out as being a bit weird and noticable in the US but here in the UK it's pretty much business as usual for the 5th. When we were kids we used to sing 'remember remember' so those status updates wouldn't even be on my radar as as new fad. Plus Guy Fawkes Night/Bonfire Night is one of my favourite traditions because I love watching a straw catholic burn at the local school.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

A few mini peeves.

I go loving nuts when the keyboard on my iPad drops away and my finger hits a link instead. On Amazon I'll be trying to type in the search bar and the keyboard drops down 4-5 times before it finally stays put and lets me type.

The know it all in my MA seminars who dominates the entire 3 hour session, nobody else can get a word in edge ways.

Books that are released as hardbacks and no other format is available. I'll be reading the latest release reviews and go 'oh wow that book looks great' but it's only hardback. I loathe hardbacks with a passion because they are heavy and a pain to read when laying down. So I don't buy. In this day and age who the gently caress holds off on e books?

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

I had a weird fellow customer experience yesterday that almost sounds like a complete bullshit story it was so odd.

I was walking to the empty checkout with one item when an elderly lady with a full basket comes hurrying up the wrong end of the queue area and arrives at the checkout just as I put my item down. She then grabs my arm and starts saying, with a laughing face 'ohh you naughty thing, you just nipped in before me! It's because you're young, you thought you could get in before me ahahah' and even though her face is smiling she's squeezing my arm so hard it really hurt. I laugh it off, get my item and make to walk away and she holds on super hard and says in a laughing but strained voice 'now I'm not going to say you're thin, but I think you used your smallness to get in front of me.' I just laughed politely and walked off, but not before an old man selling poppies at the door stopped me and insisted I was a girl called Louise that he used to know. I'm not!

I live in a retirement town and old people are the rudest people.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

If you're going to be a grammar nazi, at the very least please actually be knowledgeable about the language you're being a pedant over. My friend who likes to make long rambling posts about grammar pedantry just posted a rant about how verbing nouns is dumbing down English and their example was someone using winter as a verb. You know, a word that's been used as a verb since the time of Chaucer.

People who rant about the dumbing down of Engish, in particular bad spelling and grammer, should be forced to go read origional manuscripts/transcripts from the worlds greatest writers. They lived and wrote in a time where a) English was essentially a different language and b) spelling and grammer where done on the fly, and meh, it didn't loving matter anyway. If they want to be a massive pedant then they should learn Latin or something.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

How would you know if the other person doesn't have any French friends or ties to the country and more importantly, why would you care? I just don't understand the thought process behind that being bothersome. My entire feed has consisted of slapfighting from people who are ostensibly on the same side of the issue over loving innocuous flag filters.

Yeah I'm feeling this. I'm in the UK and my feed is full of smug, holier than thou assholes shouting 'what about the people who died in Lebanon last week? I don't see you crying over them!' And I guess they have a point but I dunno, France is right next door, my parents live there (6 months a year I should clarify), I go there all the time, I have friends there, we have a long and close history with France so I guess I feel it a bit closer to home when poo poo goes down there. Sorry that makes me a hypocritical piece of poo poo to angry Facebook people but ,y human feelings just feel that way.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Personally I hate Paris, last time I was there I got chased by an angry dude who decided to draw me (I was waiting for my dad to come out of a meeting) even though I said no then he became incredibly hostile when I refused to pay. My pet peeve is tourist poo poo in Paris. Actually, tourist poo poo in any city.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

On the flip side of painfully slow eaters, my husband is a painfully fast eater. When we go out for a meal he just puts his eyes down and eats, he doesn't stop to talk. If anybody remembers Homer Simpson line 'can't talk...busy...eating' that's my dinner partner.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Stoatbringer posted:

The Grand Blood Mage Wa'thk'z from the Forest of He'lrünæ doth disagree withest thou!

Thee, not thou. Honestly, people getting Middle and Early Modern English pronouns wrong are just the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Women who have gross, clumpy, spidery mascara. Even worse when they use eyeliner around the entire circumference of the eye, thus making their eyes look shrivelled up and tiny. Shrivelled up dead spider eyes. I honestly think with some people make up is like drugs, after a while a small amount just doesn't cut it, so they up the dose, and keep on going and before you know it they are onto their 5th layer of mascara and are thinking 'it's not thick and clumpy enough, I'll just keep going.'