Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?
"Sometimes you just have to get up and decide you're going to do things, even if you don't feel like doing them". That's nice, have you lived with a physical disability at any point in your life? Wait, you have, and you're on a fuckton of drugs (for a lesser problem than mine) that you know I don't have, and even then you manage to make it out of bed once a week at best? :fuckoff:

Also, people who think that doing you a favor obligates you to accept verbal abuse from them whenever they feel like dishing it out and that asking them to please stop saying straight-up offensive poo poo is being "ungrateful".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Tea Bone posted:

My boss has a habit of whistling the first few bars or the chorus of a song over and over and over. Sometimes he'll pause for a few seconds which makes me think he's stopped, then he starts again, he'll literally do this for hours. He also drinks coffee although he's holding his mouth over the cup and slurping it upwards, after each sip he'll let out an loud "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh".

And now you just reminded me of one that gets me every time. People who love songs, but refuse to learn the lyrics for them, then decide to repeat just the hook over and over again with their misunderstood version of those lyrics. If I have to hear my mother singing "on the finger ring" ("all the single ladies") in one more five-minute burst, I might just get the lyrics to Single Ladies tattooed on her inner forearm or something.

And yeah, no exaggeration here - she'll mumble it while she drags herself up the stairs on two bad knees (the whole point of my family living with you is to keep you from having to go up and down stairs if you don't have to, woman), which lasts at least five minutes a flight.

EDIT: Also, people who expect you to put your entire life on pause for them whenever they feel like it. Why no, my fiancee and I weren't completely invested in that movie we just purchased and are watching for the first time while eating dinner, of course we wouldn't have been. What a silly thought. Now spend the next three hours between now and her going to bed telling us about all the stupid poo poo you've been told by people you repeatedly tell us you want to cut out of your life because they're a huge drain on your emotional state.

I love my mom, but she be hella dumb sometimes.

Kugyou no Tenshi has a new favorite as of 13:21 on Mar 5, 2015

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Mikl posted:

People who don't admit when they're wrong about something or when they did something wrong. My dad does this regularly and it's really annoying, I can't even remember the last time he said "sorry about [thing that he did]" or "yeah you're right [about an issue we were discussing]".

On the flip side (and not directed at you), people who whine about how someone is "so focused on being right", when in actuality it's the fact that they are constantly trying to prove other people wrong and will never let them forget the times when they have been wrong about things. My mother, God love her (because someone's got to), used to do that to my father all the time - and now, of course, she does it to me.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Bomrek posted:

Being sick at work, especially with a raspy voice.

How many people do you deal with that think they can diagnose exactly what you have because they had that symptom once and their doctor WebMD said it was this extremely rare disease with ten more symptoms that they never manifested?

I used to get that poo poo all the loving time.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Murphy Brownback posted:

Honestly i'm trying and I can't make myself say them with 2 syllables. I guess you are saying tokyo should be "toke-yo" but I can't get rid of the "ee" sound in the middle. Sorry.

Actually, it's "toh-kyo", and Kyoto is the other way 'round.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

"I want your honest opinion about this."

"It's okay. Needs work. XYZ don't make much sense to me-"

"AH OH MY GOD YOU ARE NEVER SUPPORTIVE! WHY CAN'T YOU BE SUPPORTIVE! YOU'RE ALWAYS LIKE THIS, ALWAYS NITPICKY AND INFLEXIBLE!"

If you don't want an honest opinion WHY DO YOU ASK.

There needs to be another checkbox on art sites that alters the critique message to read "The artist has asked for 'critique' on this piece, which means they want to hear the same five people tell them how great it is despite being a copy/paste of a prior work with some colors and features changed; any attempt to actually critique the work will result in your comments being deleted and your account blocked and reported for harassment".

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Art schools need to teach Dealing With Criticism Like An Adult as a requirement for graduation admission.

While I don't disagree (holy poo poo my friend's classmates can neither give nor receive critique with any semblance of maturity, and she's a senior), a lot of these artists are also the "I don't need school because my mommy and daddy said I'm talented" types that have never heard a negative word about their work in their lives, in part because they've actively avoided anything that might make them rethink their capabilities.

I think that's one of my biggest pet peeves in general - people who think that ever once questioning if they are as good as they claim to be is somehow A Bad Thing, and the people who will collapse upon you like a human rockslide if you dare question the divinity of their golden calf. Non-artist parents of artists are the worst - they're often either "you didn't do it perfectly, so quit because you'll never be good (so don't try to help my kid become better because I disapprove)" or "you're so talented, keep going, don't listen to the people who say you're not good! (so don't tell my kid that there's anything wrong with drawing the same poorly-proportioned characters in the same anime ripoff poses for a decade without ever improving on any level)".

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Murphy Brownback posted:

That, and people who don't know the answer and go the standard tech support route of making you do basic tests or tell them seemingly random information like the driver version of your video card when you ask why your keyboard isn't working or something.

Yeah, when the question is something like "this thing no longer functions after updating its software", the answer should not require someone completely unrelated to the development of the software asking for a full sysinfo dump. If there's any piece of information in there that would diagnose the problem, then it relates to a known issue, and it's easier, faster, and more helpful to either point the person to the known issues tracker or say "You wouldn't happen to be using CabbageSoft Frobber, would you? There's a lot of people having conflicts between the latest update and Frobber, which is fixed by this patch or by switching to FreeFrobber which fixes the problem that led to this and many other conflicts." But holy poo poo no they expect you to run a full sysinfo, dxdiag, defrag, chkdsk, driver update, and a new round of everything before, and paste the results in before they'll give you the answer that has nothing to do with any of that data.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Crow Jane posted:

If you're not a woman, you can't really complain about sizing in clothes.

I think the problem with men's clothing sizes is more a "by comparison" thing. Women's sizes outside of bras tend to be a number that requires checking a lookup table like you're the world's most fashion-conscious Dungeon Master. Any men's size that is given as a number is usually given as a set of numbers in the prevailing system of measurement. In other words, a pair of jeans in size "40/32" should have the same waist circumference and inseam length as a pair of jeans from another brand. Depending on the brand and the store, I can be lucky to find two on the same shelf that fit the same way. You're right, vanity sizing is poo poo, and the idea of so many different size charts that they make FATAL look like a simple instruction book for well-adjusted tabletop aficionados is ridiculous, but when a size is supposed to be linked intrinsically to a particular measurement and it never is outside of the priciest items, it's not fair to say men "can't complain". It's just a different beast.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Panniculus Rift posted:

You guys are idiots. I'm pretty sure most cats would prefer to spend some time outside, even with the miniscule chance of dying, rather than being locked up inside your smelly apartments for the entirety of their existence.

My neighborhood has somewhere between five and ten adult feral cats at any given time because of "outdoor cat" owners whose intact queens lured in feral males a few years ago. There are usually two or three litters of kittens running around if they haven't been abandoned by their mothers, meaning that on any given day there may be somewhere closer to twenty untagged, unvaccinated, intact cats roaming. One, that's a bunch of cats that, if caught by animal control, are almost guaranteed to be put down - hooray, mommy's little angel just made twenty cats that are marked for death. Two, those cats pose a health risk to the actual pets in the neighborhood, potentially passing on any number of fatal diseases (including FeLV and FIV). Three, the "outdoor pets" have a high risk of being run over by cars (guess where they love to sleep?), eaten by predators (nothing like hearing a cat being killed by a fox at 3am), or losing their collar and being euthed because so many ~natural outdoor~ pet owners don't chip their cats. But yeah, let's just let our animals roam around because of some pseudo-mystical "natural" ideal. Even just thinking of a pet as property and not as a living thing, that's a loving stupid idea.

Side note: Funny enough, of the eight cats I've owned, only one had any real interest in being outside, and only on his harness. Three of the others would take a couple steps outside, look around, and decide that the nice place with the known source of food, pets, and fuzzy blankets was much better thank you.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I usually only go shopping when I have time to try everything on. The last time I didn't and just trusted the label, I ended up with a pair of khaki slacks that looked cinched up like a trash bag when I put a belt on and the cuffs drug the ground. Why, pants? You said you were my size :smith:

God help you if you're long-waisted, framed like a nuclear bunker, and have muscular thighs. That 38/32 relaxed fit? Attempting to cleave the top of my pelvis off, clinging to me like skinny jeans, and either ending above my ankle or on the floor depending on the manufacturer. I wear jeans like two months a year - I don't want to have to spend $100+ for a pair that fits me right. My fiancee can at least walk into her clothing store of choice, consult the magic tables, and pick something off the rack where the only question will be if it's going to show too much cleavage.

Speaking of which, what black sorcery goes into women's clothing where something that looks on the hanger like it has a plunging neckline is fairly modest, yet something that looks modest on the rack - or on the mannequin! - suddenly turns into "HILOOKATMYTITS" when put on an actual woman?

EDIT: "Rack" pun not intended.

Kugyou no Tenshi has a new favorite as of 14:00 on May 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Ooh, new pet peeve! People who pretend that being a complete loving idiot about something is just "doing things differently" and anyone calling people out on their idiocy are just angry about "alternate methods" or whatever instead of having watched a consistent pattern of horrible results and knowing that the idiot's actions are creating a huge risk factor for those very same disastrous results! Applies to all fields, too, not just pets.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a well to piss in.