Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

ScreamingLlama posted:

It ain't over until the fat lady sings AEC finalizes the deregistration.

This means that Jacqui Lambie is going to have more of a party than you are.

edit: This page needs hockeyballon.gif at the top

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

ScreamingLlama posted:

It ain't over until the fat lady sings AEC finalizes the deregistration.

stage 1: denial

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You must gather your party before venturing forth.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

:vince:

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
You have been mislaid by voters and must deregister yourself.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
You can't make this up

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/mar/30/gillian-triggs-human-rights-commissioner-out-of-touch-says-scott-morrison

quote:

Gillian Triggs, Human Rights Commissioner, is 'out of touch', says Scott Morrison

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

it's accurate, most australians are perfectly okay with torturing refugees, in fact many think we don't torture them enough.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

SynthOrange posted:

:golfclap:

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
OK, I texted the Dems National President and got a reply fairly quickly (quoted sic erat scriptum):

Darren Churchill posted:

Don't panic. It's same as three years ago. We have to resubmit list of 550 members, as some didn't verify. That's why we sent that yellow form last year. Not all members updated or confirmed their details. It's fine we just have a second hoop to jump through after a minor hiccup at the first one. It will be fine.

The notice is a legal requirement the AEC has to publish. It's not a threat. Just the law.

So really what Birb Katter posted was a "Dems need to verify they have the numbers so they can stay in the game" sort of thing, though the AEC could have worded it a bit less ominously. Truth be told, we're in no more danger of being deregistered now than we were three years ago when RebootD tried to gently caress up our registration so they could reregister the party as theirs.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

ScreamingLlama posted:

OK, I texted the Dems National President and got a reply fairly quickly (quoted sic erat scriptum):

So really what Birb Katter posted was a "Dems need to verify they have the numbers so they can stay in the game" sort of thing, though the AEC could have worded it a bit less ominously. Truth be told, we're in no more danger of being deregistered now than we were three years ago when RebootD tried to gently caress up our registration so they could reregister the party as theirs.

how do you loving manage to be more studentpolitics.txt than the current federal government

white mans burping
Feb 24, 2015
wrong thread

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
i think it will be lost on xylo unless he has been subjected to first dog as well.

also you reposted it in the same thread i posted it in

also also soag is dumb

white mans burping
Feb 24, 2015

Gough Suppressant posted:

i think it will be lost on xylo unless he has been subjected to first dog as well.

yeah xylo hates first dog with a passion, political cartoons thread is his fave thread and he's serious business about cartoons

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

white mans burping posted:

yeah xylo hates first dog with a passion, political cartoons thread is his fave thread and he's serious business about cartoons

oh well in that case my 2nd and 3rd points still stand

white mans burping
Feb 24, 2015

ScreamingLlama posted:

can't even find 500 members mr speaker

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
we already did you dumb gently caress

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

ScreamingLlama posted:

white mans burping
Feb 24, 2015

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
bold the whole thing, etc

Government knew of abuse on Nauru months before it acted, staff to allege

Current and former workers on Nauru are preparing to tell a Senate inquiry that the government knew of allegations of sexual abuse and assault of asylum seekers in the island’s detention centre for months before it acted.

Guardian Australia is aware of up to a dozen staff members who are preparing written submissions to the inquiry into immigration detention conditions on the Pacific island.

Several staff have indicated they would be prepared, if asked, to give evidence in person before the committee. Previous whistleblowers who have revealed sensitive information about allegations of abuse or mistreatment on the island have been investigated by the Australian federal police at the request of the immigration department.

Staff are bound by strict confidentiality clauses, and risk up to two years’ prison for speaking publicly about the detention centres, or their work within them. But information provided to a parliamentary inquiry falls under the Parliamentary Privileges Act, and people cannot be prosecuted for providing a submission or giving evidence.

Staff have told Guardian Australia they can provide working documents, intelligence and incident reports, which demonstrate reports of physical and sexual abuse dating back to November 2013. The government has maintained it acted as soon as it was made aware of allegations of abuse and violence on Nauru.

Releasing the Moss review this month, immigration minister Peter Dutton said: “I find the thought of anybody, in particular children, being sexually assaulted completely abhorrent. It’s not something that we would accept in Australia and it’s not something that the Nauruans accept in their community either. So I know that the Nauruan government takes this issue very seriously. I know that they will deal with matters in relation to this report.”

A spokesman for the immigration department told Guardian Australia: “The Department of Immigration and Border Protection is aware of the Senate select committee into Nauru and will cooperate fully with all proceedings.”

The government-commissioned Moss review found credible evidence of sexual and physical abuse of asylum seekers, including children, at the centre. They were backed up by more than 150 pages of leaked interviews with detention centre staff and detainees.

The Senate committee will be chaired by Labor senator Alex Gallacher. Greens senator Sarah Hanson-Young, who moved the motion establishing the committee, will be deputy chair. Coalition senators Cory Bernardi and Linda Reynolds will be members, while crossbench senators Ricky Muir, Glenn Lazarus and Jaqui Lambie will be participating members. Submissions close on 27 April and the committee intends to report in June.

Hanson-Young told the ABC she would like the committee to hold hearings in Nauru and in Darwin, where asylum seekers are sent to from the island if they require significant medical treatment.

“I would like to take this inquiry to Nauru. I think it is really important, that would obviously need to be a matter for negotiation. If the Senate believes this is important enough then we should be able to go,” she said.

The committee will have the power to subpoena immigration department staff, and senior managers from detention centre managers Transfield and security subcontractor Wilson’s, to answer questions and produce documents on the running of the centre.

Following the Moss review and the Forgotten Children report into children in immigration detention by the Australian Human Rights Commission, pressure continues to build on the government over its asylum seeker policies.

Liberty Victoria has launched an online campaign protesting against cuts made a year ago to legal assistance for asylum seekers making a refugee claim.

Kon Karapanagiotidis from the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre said the funding cuts had created an almost insurmountable barrier to people accessing justice and a fair assessment of their refugee claim.

“Assessing refugee claims can quite literally be the difference between life and death. Vulnerable people going through this process without lawyers compromises the integrity of the system and leads to poorer decision-making. It inevitably leads to people who are refugees not being recognised as such and being wrongfully returned to harm.”

And a coalition of disability groups has released a joint statement calling for legislative changes to ensure asylum seekers with disabilities are not placed in mandatory detention.

The government told Senate estimates there were 268 detainees with disabilities in onshore immigration detention facilities as at 30 September last year. Forty-nine of those were children. The minister’s office has been contacted for comment.

On Monday night Julian Burnside QC launching a swingeing attack on Labor and Coalition policies as he delivered the Hal Wootten Lecture at the University of NSW.

He said mandatory detention of boat-borne asylum seekers caused serious physical and mental harm, and that the temporary protection visas reintroduced in Decemberhad encouraged people to board boats run by people-smugglers, because they felt it was the only way they could be reunited with their families.

“One of the most distressing things about the present situation is that it is based on a series of lies. When politicians called boat people ‘illegals’ and ‘queue jumpers’ they are not telling the truth. When politicians say that they are concerned about people drowning in their attempt to reach safety, they are not telling the truth,” he said.

“Australia is now judged overseas by its behaviour as cruel and selfish. We treat frightened, innocent people as criminals. It is a profound injustice.”

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/mar/31/government-knew-of-abuse-on-nauru-months-before-it-acted-staff-to-allege

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Gough Suppressant posted:

how do you loving manage to be more studentpolitics.txt than the current federal government

Similar number of members

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

ScreamingLlama posted:

well now you only have 50 more to go to reach the acceptable quota, glhf

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
If the next thread is this bad I swear im moving to *checks list of countries with better threads than Australia* anywhere

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I hear Canada is pretty nice.

CPSU greenlights hour-a-day strike, poo poo gets real

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

ScreamingLlama posted:

It's OK mate. It will be fine.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
Seriously doubt anyone will notice a difference in quality of service.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

ScreamingLlama posted:

imaginary friends don't count

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Graic Gabtar posted:

Sadly they probably won't.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Graic Gabtar posted:

:hurr:

drink
ALL
of
our
piss

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

ScreamingLlama posted:

You are in the Democrats so maybe it is you who is the dumb gently caress

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

QUACKTASTIC posted:

bold the whole thing, etc

Government knew of abuse on Nauru months before it acted, staff to allege

Current and former workers on Nauru are preparing to tell a Senate inquiry that the government knew of allegations of sexual abuse and assault of asylum seekers in the island’s detention centre for months before it acted.

Guardian Australia is aware of up to a dozen staff members who are preparing written submissions to the inquiry into immigration detention conditions on the Pacific island.

Several staff have indicated they would be prepared, if asked, to give evidence in person before the committee. Previous whistleblowers who have revealed sensitive information about allegations of abuse or mistreatment on the island have been investigated by the Australian federal police at the request of the immigration department.

Staff are bound by strict confidentiality clauses, and risk up to two years’ prison for speaking publicly about the detention centres, or their work within them. But information provided to a parliamentary inquiry falls under the Parliamentary Privileges Act, and people cannot be prosecuted for providing a submission or giving evidence.

Staff have told Guardian Australia they can provide working documents, intelligence and incident reports, which demonstrate reports of physical and sexual abuse dating back to November 2013. The government has maintained it acted as soon as it was made aware of allegations of abuse and violence on Nauru.

Releasing the Moss review this month, immigration minister Peter Dutton said: “I find the thought of anybody, in particular children, being sexually assaulted completely abhorrent. It’s not something that we would accept in Australia and it’s not something that the Nauruans accept in their community either. So I know that the Nauruan government takes this issue very seriously. I know that they will deal with matters in relation to this report.”

A spokesman for the immigration department told Guardian Australia: “The Department of Immigration and Border Protection is aware of the Senate select committee into Nauru and will cooperate fully with all proceedings.”

The government-commissioned Moss review found credible evidence of sexual and physical abuse of asylum seekers, including children, at the centre. They were backed up by more than 150 pages of leaked interviews with detention centre staff and detainees.

The Senate committee will be chaired by Labor senator Alex Gallacher. Greens senator Sarah Hanson-Young, who moved the motion establishing the committee, will be deputy chair. Coalition senators Cory Bernardi and Linda Reynolds will be members, while crossbench senators Ricky Muir, Glenn Lazarus and Jaqui Lambie will be participating members. Submissions close on 27 April and the committee intends to report in June.

Hanson-Young told the ABC she would like the committee to hold hearings in Nauru and in Darwin, where asylum seekers are sent to from the island if they require significant medical treatment.

“I would like to take this inquiry to Nauru. I think it is really important, that would obviously need to be a matter for negotiation. If the Senate believes this is important enough then we should be able to go,” she said.

The committee will have the power to subpoena immigration department staff, and senior managers from detention centre managers Transfield and security subcontractor Wilson’s, to answer questions and produce documents on the running of the centre.

Following the Moss review and the Forgotten Children report into children in immigration detention by the Australian Human Rights Commission, pressure continues to build on the government over its asylum seeker policies.

Liberty Victoria has launched an online campaign protesting against cuts made a year ago to legal assistance for asylum seekers making a refugee claim.

Kon Karapanagiotidis from the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre said the funding cuts had created an almost insurmountable barrier to people accessing justice and a fair assessment of their refugee claim.

“Assessing refugee claims can quite literally be the difference between life and death. Vulnerable people going through this process without lawyers compromises the integrity of the system and leads to poorer decision-making. It inevitably leads to people who are refugees not being recognised as such and being wrongfully returned to harm.”

And a coalition of disability groups has released a joint statement calling for legislative changes to ensure asylum seekers with disabilities are not placed in mandatory detention.

The government told Senate estimates there were 268 detainees with disabilities in onshore immigration detention facilities as at 30 September last year. Forty-nine of those were children. The minister’s office has been contacted for comment.

On Monday night Julian Burnside QC launching a swingeing attack on Labor and Coalition policies as he delivered the Hal Wootten Lecture at the University of NSW.

He said mandatory detention of boat-borne asylum seekers caused serious physical and mental harm, and that the temporary protection visas reintroduced in Decemberhad encouraged people to board boats run by people-smugglers, because they felt it was the only way they could be reunited with their families.

“One of the most distressing things about the present situation is that it is based on a series of lies. When politicians called boat people ‘illegals’ and ‘queue jumpers’ they are not telling the truth. When politicians say that they are concerned about people drowning in their attempt to reach safety, they are not telling the truth,” he said.

“Australia is now judged overseas by its behaviour as cruel and selfish. We treat frightened, innocent people as criminals. It is a profound injustice.”

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/mar/31/government-knew-of-abuse-on-nauru-months-before-it-acted-staff-to-allege

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
Looks like we may lose Lismore to the Nats after all :(

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Birdstrike posted:

:hurr:

drink
ALL
of
our
piss
One at a time or all mixed up? Still be like most of the owners though...

Bitter.

Auspol Bitter.

You can get it working.

You can get it jerking.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Freudian Slip posted:

This is the price you pay for hubris in claiming superiority to Victoria

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Freudian Slip posted:

Please don't count me in your "we" but the Greens did get a 24% swing which is by any measure damned impressive so I wouldn't drop the lip.

CSG is a loving cancer dreamt up by chemical sales people and needs to be banned forever.

The Nats better do better than a crusty old gently caress candidate like many other Nats crusty old fucks or they will find this (maybe) hang-on a very brief moment.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Are you drunk Craig? I had a lot of trouble parsing that last line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

blindidiotgod posted:

I think the big difference is that it's a Traveller card vs a Credit Card. You've just lost a bunch of your own money you put onto the traveller card. Whoops, sorry to hear that man, we'll get onto looking into that within 90 days, what, what do you mean lacklustre?

If it was a credit card ripped off, that is the banks own money (with your name on it), they're on top of that like a pack of wild animals.

It's why I keep my credit card separate from my transaction account. Oh, someone ripped all the money out of it? Well, file a form, we'll totally get onto that, for sure. Someone's taking unathorised credit money? :siren: call out the specialists, we're breaking this bad boy down :hellyeah: :siren:

I had a travellers card back in late 2012 that was skimmed, someone in the UK was using it (me, living in Sweden) to buy expensive poo poo like diamond jewellery. About $9000 was taken but my issuer got it after a few hours and contacted me immediately. All my money was returned to my account and they issued me a new card, delivered by DHL in under 36hours. My experience was not so bad :-)

• Locked thread