Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

mum i didn't want to eat that whole carton of tim tams, i swear i didn't, but i had to! jeff from plunkett street told me if i didn't eat every last tim tam then he was going to throw rocks at rex. what else could i do! oh and also i finished off the crunchy nut and what was left of the easter chocolate. anyway i'm late for soccer practise cya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So yeah, what's the odds on that letter being written on Lambie's own stationery?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Maybe someone should cut her head off.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Ler posted:

Dr Kevin Bonham has a small analysis of the upcoming NSW election/polling here: http://kevinbonham.blogspot.co.at/2015/02/new-south-wales-roundup-is-even-this.html

quote:

While just voting 1 seems senseless in the context of a single election, in the long term sometimes exhausting your vote can be a tactic to force your preferred major party to lift its game.  Both in Queensland and NSW in 2011-2, many Green voters may well have exhausted their preference in disgust with the sorty state of Labor in both states.
Is this true and how effective is it?

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Because I'm evil I did vote for Albanese at the federal election. I think Hall Greenland is a great man but the facts are Albanese is about as good a local member as one can ask for. He gets plenty of pork for the electorate and has assisted me a number of times with issues.

I will be voting greens for Newtown though. So go greens. I voted greens last state election too but that was a tough one because I also like Tebbutt and I always thought it was an underrated thing to be represented by a husband and wife team at federal and state level.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
first post

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
When the ALP implodes from being Tory lite for too long, I hope Albo rises from the ashes and does something cool.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
muyb will never vote green again with all of those filthy engineers swelling their ranks.

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

Pickled Tink posted:

I would, but I am so mentally unstable at this point that it would likely result in unfortunate headlines, criminal charges, and probably multiple hospitalisations due to poor reactions to the stress. There is a reason I got transferred to the disability services in December/January. It is best all round if I lay low.

Also, I am allergic to democracy sausages (No, seriously. A lot of manufacturers stuff them with onion powder and garlic, which cause me no end of digestive strife).

You can do some letter boxing! I have pretty bad social anxiety and worked 55 hours last week but I still managed to do some letterboxing and then force myself to say gently caress it and do some doorknocking too. Otherwise you could probably waste time reasonably replying to the weirdo creeps that troll greens posts on Facebook. Or just join the Greens if you aren't one and help by increasing the membership and hopefully being taken a tiny bit more seriously by some voters.

I'm vegetarian so I probably won't be enjoying a democracy sausage either!

And in reply to QM about using census data in door knocking, great! It was really hot and humid yesterday and I was nervous enough so having mostly easy houses as my first time has been good to get over the anxiety. Also had a few families and random strangers wave and smile which was nice.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

SynthOrange posted:

So yeah, what's the odds on that letter being written on Lambie's own stationery?

Laserface posted:

Maybe someone should cut her header off.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Gough Suppressant posted:

NSW is a bad state of bad people and the rest of us would be better off if it sank without warning into the sea.

'NSW' is a funny way of spelling 'Australia'.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

I found doorknocking extremely stressful, I'm not going to do it again. Going letterboxing this afternoon though, and I will probably hand out HTVs or whatever on the day

Anidav posted:

If you showed a blind man QLD or NSW, 9 times out of 10 he would choose QLD.

Best State.

Um. Queensland is easily the worst state in the country, bud.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
I think it takes a certain kind of gregariousness to actually enjoy door knocking. I really enjoy it but I'm the kind of person who strikes up conversations with randoms in the doctor's office if I get the feeling they wouldn't be disturbed by it. I totally get how it could make a person feel really uncomfortable and drained because you really have no clue whether you're about the be abused or not, and you're trying to immediately make a connection with people you have zero clue about.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Anidav posted:

If you showed a blind man QLD or NSW, 9 times out of 10 he would choose QLD.

Best State.

:airquote:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Nope. Suffer, brief mortals.

Also while I'm on my NSW soapbox, goddamn PLEASE join the Greens or sign up to volunteer. This election is going to be disgusting, and if you think Federal Labor are an uninspiring and torpid opposition, NSW Labor will leave you utterly dumbfounded. We have a real chance to make a difference and we need every hand on deck possible.
I made an effort post about the local electorate, asked for suggestions and heard jack poo poo back. I guess I'll click your link and volunteer then.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fruity Gordo posted:

'NSW' is a funny way of spelling 'Australia'.

what is it with these stupid hyperbolic posts

BloatedCorpse
May 11, 2005
Downstairs
I am from the best state. All the people from my state are great. The people from your state are bad people and you are bad. You should kill yourself and your state should burn and sink into the sea.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Fruity Gordo posted:

I think it takes a certain kind of gregariousness to actually enjoy door knocking. I really enjoy it but I'm the kind of person who strikes up conversations with randoms in the doctor's office if I get the feeling they wouldn't be disturbed by it. I totally get how it could make a person feel really uncomfortable and drained because you really have no clue whether you're about the be abused or not, and you're trying to immediately make a connection with people you have zero clue about.

I want to do door knocking for the Greens when I am able to. I'm not the most social person, but I used to do door knocking to collect donations for a cat and dog shelter, so I've got a bit of experience and I enjoyed it a fair bit too. If someone as socially awkward as me can do it I'm sure everyone here will be fine.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

GoldStandardConure posted:

I want to do door knocking for the Greens when I am able to. I'm not the most social person, but I used to do door knocking to collect donations for a cat and dog shelter, so I've got a bit of experience and I enjoyed it a fair bit too. If someone as socially awkward as me can do it I'm sure everyone here will be fine.

See I thought I'd be fine, but it's so awkward and hostile that after finishing my run I was about ready to die.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
When I was collecting for the animal shelter, this was back when I had just finished high school, I had a lady chase me down the street threatening to kill me. That sure was a thing.

Everyone else was really cool about it though.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Laserface posted:

Maybe someone should cut her head off.

jesus loving christ you dumb shits

BloatedCorpse
May 11, 2005
Downstairs
Yeah I'm gonna go with that letter more likely being real and now Jacqui Lambie's gonna need a security detail. Could also possibly be a hoax by a right-winger. It would really suck if a sitting government MP was killed by extremists.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You're right, if she'd written it, ebola suicide bombers would have been the threat.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

They're blind men. They say something wise like

"It's not what's on the outside but what's on the inside"

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I love Israel

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Avshalom posted:

I love Israel

its the only democracy in the middle east if u didnt know. in spite of years of constant attack, they still live up to their ideals of democracy and human rights. youll hear some people are criticising them but theyre pedophiles

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Orkin Mang posted:

its the only democracy in the middle east if u didnt know. in spite of years of constant attack, they still live up to their ideals of democracy and human rights. youll hear some people are criticising them but theyre pedophiles

The probably get all the cricket World Cup matches free to air as well.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Apparently I get $200 in food vouchers for not having power for a week (ninth day now though).

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Highest voted comment on ABC fb post of the Lambie article:

quote:

She's Tasmanian. That means she has a spare head. No problem
Presented with no comment, except

quote:

lol

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Zenithe posted:

Apparently I get $200 in food vouchers for not having power for a week (ninth day now though).

And you don't have to pay electricity! Score!

(You will stil have to pay electricity)

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Anidav posted:

When the ALP implodes from being Tory lite for too long, I hope Albo rises from the ashes and does something cool.

full-time rage programmer until the abc sinks into the abyss

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Orkin Mang posted:

what is it with these stupid hyperbolic posts

what's the DEAL with auspol? - one of the goofiest posters in existence

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

hey fruity you don't have to make up a month's worth of missed posts in a day just so you know

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Tommofork posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-01/lambie-threatened-with-beheading/6271732

quote:

"By the powers invested in me by Allah, I sentence you to death," the letter said.
Hmm yes this letter seems legit.

Wait a loving second. "By the powers invested in me by " isn't that what they say in TV weddings?

quote:

By the powers invested in me by the state of Colorado, I hereby pronounce you husband and wife

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
hahahaha the idea of women being beheaded is really funny

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Murodese posted:

hey fruity you don't have to make up a month's worth of missed posts in a day just so you know

Citation needed bro.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Fruity Gordo posted:

Citation needed bro.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypertension

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Gough Suppressant posted:

hahahaha the idea of women being beheaded is really funny

Threats of violence are never okay.

But that in no way means I have to believe for a loving second this one is anything other than bullshit sent by some massive loving bigot "for the cause".

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

I'm sorry I rev u up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Hello friends,

Help out a non-struggling researcher and add links to this sheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uTzSqPb7leRpoCL0HatAB_yKQ26ynmeioziuuOMEtBc/edit?usp=sharing

I'm basically looking for sites/blogs/news sites/social media/literally fuckin anything that accepts comments and social submissions. If you find a page that has comments of any kind (at least 5, hopefully more like 25-50, no more than 100), paste a link in that document. I only really need one per site, but add whatever you want.

Bonus points for:
1) pages that contain comment pagination (if you look at a guardian comment section with >20 comments you'll see this - the comments are paged ie. comment page 1, 2, 3, etc)
2) pages that contain a "click to expand comments"-esque button or link, which either expands the comment sections to show everything or redirects you to a page that has a full list (guardian has this too, "click to see more comments"
3) some combination of the above

Also need:
- some pages without comments at all
- anything out-of-the-ordinary (use your judgement - page that requires you to fill out a captcha or something to view comments? sure)
- variety of poo poo, not just politics or anything. not even australian, necessarily

Follow the headers - your nick, then any comments about the structure of the sheet (standard blog comments, disqus, facebook comments, whatever). Person that provides the most/best I'll buy something nice for (a game, a carton, whatever). Unless that person has like 2 links, then gently caress you I guess. Prize at my discretion, bonuses for anyone that provides a wide variety of links.

Thanks!

• Locked thread