Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
I heard there was a new QM thread and I am surprised to see that it's not a Sims LP??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Anidav posted:

When the ALP implodes from being Tory lite for too long, I hope Albo rises from the ashes and does something cool.

full-time rage programmer until the abc sinks into the abyss

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

hey fruity you don't have to make up a month's worth of missed posts in a day just so you know

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Fruity Gordo posted:

Citation needed bro.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypertension

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Hello friends,

Help out a non-struggling researcher and add links to this sheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uTzSqPb7leRpoCL0HatAB_yKQ26ynmeioziuuOMEtBc/edit?usp=sharing

I'm basically looking for sites/blogs/news sites/social media/literally fuckin anything that accepts comments and social submissions. If you find a page that has comments of any kind (at least 5, hopefully more like 25-50, no more than 100), paste a link in that document. I only really need one per site, but add whatever you want.

Bonus points for:
1) pages that contain comment pagination (if you look at a guardian comment section with >20 comments you'll see this - the comments are paged ie. comment page 1, 2, 3, etc)
2) pages that contain a "click to expand comments"-esque button or link, which either expands the comment sections to show everything or redirects you to a page that has a full list (guardian has this too, "click to see more comments"
3) some combination of the above

Also need:
- some pages without comments at all
- anything out-of-the-ordinary (use your judgement - page that requires you to fill out a captcha or something to view comments? sure)
- variety of poo poo, not just politics or anything. not even australian, necessarily

Follow the headers - your nick, then any comments about the structure of the sheet (standard blog comments, disqus, facebook comments, whatever). Person that provides the most/best I'll buy something nice for (a game, a carton, whatever). Unless that person has like 2 links, then gently caress you I guess. Prize at my discretion, bonuses for anyone that provides a wide variety of links.

Thanks!

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Someone get xylo to implement a new rule wherein upon the third reply between two people it has to be taken to PM or both parties are banned

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

hiddenmovement posted:

What if it's an intelligent, sensible dialectic between respectful parties that contributes to broader thread discussions and doesn't descend into childish ad hominem attacks?

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Did that letter to Lambie really mention a mosque under construction in Adelaide? In a letter to a Tasmanian Senator?

pretty sure the AFP know who sent it

quote:

One man was reported to police during the emotion-charged meeting, attended by a group of about 70 protesters.

The group turned up to voice their opposition to a mosque the Hazara Foundation of SA plans to build at Ryans Rd.

Deputy Mayor Brad Vermeer said one of the protesters approached him in the chamber and threatened him.

“This one guy walked over and started yelling at me but I just waved as if to say ‘goodbye’ and he stood right over me, looked at the council desk, saw my name and said ‘right, Vermeer, I’m coming for you,” Cr Vermeer said.

Salisbury Council’s Development Assessment Panel approved the mosque in December.

It has since been the subject of controversy, sparking a 300-signature petition against the development and a 2000-flyer letterbox drop by right-wing group the Patriots Defence League, urging residents to oppose the mosque.

lol

Murodese fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Mar 1, 2015

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

cpaf posted:

The last 24 hours I've been thinking about reading that Sheridan article again, like a good book you never want to really end

Tony Abbott: A Bromance for the Ages?

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Murodese posted:

Hello friends,

Help out a non-struggling researcher and add links to this sheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uTzSqPb7leRpoCL0HatAB_yKQ26ynmeioziuuOMEtBc/edit?usp=sharing

I'm basically looking for sites/blogs/news sites/social media/literally fuckin anything that accepts comments and social submissions. If you find a page that has comments of any kind (at least 5, hopefully more like 25-50, no more than 100), paste a link in that document. I only really need one per site, but add whatever you want.

Bonus points for:
1) pages that contain comment pagination (if you look at a guardian comment section with >20 comments you'll see this - the comments are paged ie. comment page 1, 2, 3, etc)
2) pages that contain a "click to expand comments"-esque button or link, which either expands the comment sections to show everything or redirects you to a page that has a full list (guardian has this too, "click to see more comments"
3) some combination of the above

Also need:
- some pages without comments at all
- anything out-of-the-ordinary (use your judgement - page that requires you to fill out a captcha or something to view comments? sure)
- variety of poo poo, not just politics or anything. not even australian, necessarily

Follow the headers - your nick, then any comments about the structure of the sheet (standard blog comments, disqus, facebook comments, whatever). Person that provides the most/best I'll buy something nice for (a game, a carton, whatever). Unless that person has like 2 links, then gently caress you I guess. Prize at my discretion, bonuses for anyone that provides a wide variety of links.

Thanks!

Everyone submitting to this ilu thanks <3

e; except jonah, though that did make me laugh

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Jonah Galtberg posted:

I haven't posted anything to it though?

edit: oh, I see now - someone's playing tricks

I should've known that it couldn't've been you, since it was funny and not insufferable

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Thanks for the help guys, some of those links are excellent and really help. Zetsubou-san and trunkh message me to be showered in gifts.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

I want to watch the bubble burst and the Australian economy implode into a gaping black hole just because some men want to watch the world burn

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Graic Gabtar posted:

Are you going to stop asking loaded questions?

I'll re-ask it in a neutral tone:

How do you feel about Australia's treatment of refugees now that evidence of torture has been presented and that we have been officially rebuked by the UN for breaching torture conventions in our treatment of innocent refugees? Considering your previous stance was, in effect, denying that such crimes had ever taken place, how has this changed your viewpoint towards this issue?

e; on re-reading, it's hilarious that said question is neutral while being completely factual, which is probably indicative of just how hosed up poo poo is

Murodese fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 9, 2015

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Suddenly some of my HECS predictions become self-fulfilling prophecies. Sorry guys :(

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

somebody stick a sign to the front door that says "no pynez aloud"

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

This entire thread makes a lot more sense when you realise that Graic Gabtar is actually just an average German citizen sent forwards in time from 1942.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

For serious though Gabtar, what would it actually take for you to believe that these people have been tortured? Because there's been two? NGO reports, a UN report, a Royal Commission report and about 5 internal DIBP reports all stating these things as fact. Abbott's not exactly Goebbels, so is it just a head in the sand type thing?

Also, if there are 300 people in a camp and one of them sets fire to a tent, do all 300 deserve to suffer? Because if we're starting to implement association sentencing, there's quite a few bad posters in this thread that are going to face execution

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

I'm guessing not well considering when I was working in Belgium, the first thing a colleague said to me when I said I was from Australia was "oh right, the place that tortures refugees".

really wish that was stdh.txt, too

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

cpaf posted:

Dunno why people keep insisting he is some sort of fabricated gimmick account when he represents a very real and sizeable chunk of the Australian voting population as MCED said.

Seriously, I'm at least 40% sure he's actually my dad

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

markgreyam posted:

If you think of ratbag's posts as a sort of training dummy for arguing points with actual people then they are much easier to consider. If you are discussing this sort of thing with a person in real life (for argument’s sake, I mean, who talks to people in real life) and you're going to go with the "take a cyanide suppository" approach, well, it should be clear that you not going to change many minds, and then just being surprised when that inexplicably doesn’t change his tune is just dumb.

Yeah, this is pretty much my argument. Going Fruity Gordo at people isn't going to change any minds ever, because people bunker the gently caress down when they're under attack. Manipulating them into changing their opinion is far more effective.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Matthew Beet posted:

I'm the other 60% :wink:

I don't think you're my dad, I just think you and LesAffaires are the same person and I wish both of you would be my lovers :swoon:

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Fruity Gordo posted:

Your vendetta is excruciatingly boring fyi

It's cute that you think I actually give a poo poo about you beyond turning your name into a synonym for "flipping the gently caress out randomly and forcefully"

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Graic Gabtar posted:

Yeah, would that be before or after I shove the cyanide up my arse?

You know how we block tiring trolls? Why don't you just block people suggesting you shove cyanide up your rear end?

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Orkin Mang posted:

because blocking people is for precious little babies. it's what tearie little ultras do when someone disagrees with them.

how... did u see my post then

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

hooman posted:

Sadistech: Mobility and aged care service provider to goons.

Saddesttech

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Graic Gabtar posted:

I would be completely unmoved by that as I added your IP to our watch list.

Haha, you think the ASD have enough resources to track and monitor a dude that made a bad post on the internet?

maybe if he was muslim

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

People who are unemployed are more likely to be unskilled and have very little capital base to work off. I don't know about you guys, but those sound like a perfect starting environment for a small business!

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

I get the feeling if Graic was Minister for Immigration we'd still be eating lettuce in aspic and discussing the culinary delights of bovrille

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

ewe2 posted:

I'll just link this Lateline transcript about data retention with Bruce Schneier, but it's worth a read.

What is also concerning is that HTTP/2 is almost complete: Firefox and Chrome will only support it with HTTPS but this creates the problem that data caches, which cut down on internet traffic and speeds up access can't work because the data is encrypted. This is a big problem for low-bandwidth connections (like 3/4 of the world) and smartphones, and currently the only suggestion is a really bad one: put an root certificate in the phone or computer that allows a cache to decrypt the connection and be able to send it on after re-encryption. That basically ruins the whole point of HTTPS, but noone's come up with an alternative yet that I've heard.

Not really. Local caching works fine under HTTP2.0 and CDNs come off better due to request multiplexing. Server-side caching works fine too, because the data is generated prior to transport-level encryption.

e; also, very little data is transparently cacheable these days anyway

Murodese fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 12, 2015

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Here's the (cache of the) blog from the teenage radical: http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...n&ct=clnk&gl=au

What's interesting is the logical fault present: he's an eloquent writer and places great stock in logic, yet while proclaiming that the people are oppressed and governments kill innocents, he never actually justifies or reconciles this with his own slaughter of innocents. "Society is corrupt because people believe they are free when the government only allows them the illusion of this and often kills innocents" is a hilarious logical disconnect from "I must kill innocents". It's almost as if he's mentally ill :aaaaa:

Also, got some real fuckin Alex Jones vibes from that poo poo

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Pickled Tink posted:

Nice going there with your stigmatisation of mental illness. Person does X that I do not understand and has poor reasoning by my own exacting standards of logic, therefore they must be mentally ill (Because poor reasoning is incredibly rare, as we all know). The implication that gets hammered home by such reasoning is that mentally ill people are dangerous.

There are Australians who seriously believe that asylum seekers are illegal immigrants and should be shot to keep them away. That doesn't make them mentally ill. This thread is full of people who tell others to go kill themselves for disagreements ranging from large to petty, but if the people here are mentally ill it is definitely not the cause of that behaviour.

It is absolutely lazy to disregard this kind of thing as mental illness. It not help in the slightest, because you are not even considering the positions these people start out from and thereby not treating the problems (Disenfranchisement, persecution, etc) that cause radicalisation of these people.

Not only that, but you work further to stigmatise mental illness because you are synonymizing it with it "dangerous people who should be feared" thus preventing people with mental illnesses from seeking help from fear of the stigma. It is also a step towards bringing back the reasoning we managed to, at long last, ditch regarding the mentally ill: "Why should we help people who are dangerous? Why don't we just lock them up where they can't harm us?"

It is lazy thought I would expect from members of the liberal party, not alleged greens.

Sorry, are you trying to argue that psychopathy is not a form of mental illness? I mean, sweet strawman, but if you think that somebody saying "extremists are mentally ill" means they mean "mentally ill people are extremist", you're suffering from lazier thinking than you're accusing others of.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Fruity Gordo posted:

The vast majority of suicide bombers wouldn't be psychopaths, they'd be traumatised, brainwashed, marginalised young people. One of VICE's HBO episodes was about child suicide bombers in Afghanistan, for example, and these boys just flat out knew nothing, and some had even been told that they wouldn't actually die because ~reasons~. Obviously the situation for this kid is quite different, but the only people you could reliably classify as psychopathic as a general rule would be the Imams ordering these idiot kids and young people to do bombings and massacres. I don't think anyone would honestly believe that everyone involved in committing genocides is a psychopath. When a corporate culture is that toxic and dehumanising, people will act in disgusting ways because it's tolerated or encouraged. You don't need to have a mental illness or personality disorder to act crazy, you just need the right ingredients. The kid was obviously angry and traumatised, but I seriously doubt he had a profound personality disorder.

I agree, and we actually have a classification for people that act in an extreme anti-social manner (e.g. blowing themselves + innocents up) due to pervasive environmental conditions, often during adolescence: sociopathy. Sociopathy is, of course, either a subclassification of or synonymous with psychopathy depending on who you ask, but is still classified as a mental illness.

I wonder which group would be considered mentally sound: somebody who is coerced into committing a suicide attack against innocents, or somebody who chooses to take their own life rather than hurt others?

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Pickled Tink posted:

For the record, this is my second draft. The first draft of this post read "RAAAAAAAARGH", only bigger and with more "ARGH".

I was going to reply to this, but then I remembered that I'm getting into an argument in a field that I'm not a specialist in with a guy that's also not a specialist. So, let's just be thankful that both our rants on this topic are limited to a private forum that nobody gives a poo poo about.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Pretty boring av there Graic. One of yours?

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Nice timing on this: http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2015/03/court-overturns-dutch-data-retention-law-privacy-more-important/

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

That game would own so much.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/401763,brandis-to-introduce-site-blocking-legislation-this-week.aspx

INTERNET FILTERRRRRRRRR

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

katlington posted:

Lotta tall poppy syndrome going on in here smh

Some of it's justified, ie. Andrew Forrest of FMG, worth $2.1b yet his company has never paid a cent of corporate tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Yeah, I dunno. He's in a position to do so, I guess.

He has a pretty good PR team, every 5 years or so he'll toss $10m to a university or something for engineering scholarships. Has a horrible reputation in industry though, he's known for continually bankrupting smaller contractors by refusing to pay them.

• Locked thread