Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Amazing OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Mattjpwns posted:

Oh my loving god, take it to IRC and stop loving up what started off as a great thread you goddamn goons.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Brandis being censured made me happy far beyond it had any right to.

Also I assume GSC is now Birb Katter, because that is amazing.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

"Catholic Headmaster does not realise offering sex to children is a crime." summarises why there is a Royal Commission into child abuse quite neatly.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

markgreyam posted:

On my first attempt I made it about 60 pages in before I had to actually put it down. I'm now reading it alongside American Monsters by Linda Godfrey so I have some light-hearted fun (about HORRIBLE MONSTERS like Mothman and Batsquatch!!!) so I have something to distract myself from the existential depression

who am I kidding we're all going to die

At least we will outlive the boomers who on their death beds will still be complaining about how lazy we are and how hard they had it with their free education, affordable property and 0% targeted unemployment.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

markgreyam posted:

It's kind of depressing that trying to tell people to pay loving attention on the road, drive to the conditions and not the speed limit, PUT YOUR loving PHONE AWAY and the constant reporting of every fatality on the road in the news like some sort of morbid parade just isn't working so now we have to just accept that people are inattentive idiots and make sure that when they inevitably leave the road they have less to hit.

"Trees are dangerous", said a 20-something male driver in his too-powerful Commodore, flying around the winding, blind-corner filled, bark covered road to Langhorne Creek at 110, occasionally flicking his eyes down up to check his mobile the road.

A driver recently ploughed through a back yard and killed a child. Remove all back yards I say. Also remove all houses the next time someone crashes into a house. A car drove off an embankment and rolled down a hill, hence regrade the entirety of the country to a totally smooth plane. A car also crashed into another car. Ban all cars but mine. Replace everything in Australia with a completely smooth bitumen expanse. The only remaining car went too fast and turned too sharply and rolled ban it as well.

EDIT: All I know is that when I drive through the suburbs mowing down pedestrians Carmageddon style with spinning disks of razor sharp steel jutting from the sides of my deathmobile it's not my loving fault that they got themselves hurt.

hooman fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 3, 2015

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

:suicide:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

markgreyam posted:

You're on. I'll meet you at our shared border. You have to drive. It's likely only one of us will make it alive. That person will be judged to be the loser.

RIP both of you, killed by marauding trees.

If trees are killing you, you're probably in the wrong, and possibly the Uruk-hai.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Some people have strange ideas about causality. Personally i blame Henry Ford for inventing the motorcar.

I blame Tony Abbott for building a bunch of new roads. All they do is kill people!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
EDIT: ^^^ I want to make a rye comment.

Anidav posted:

This is like my 5th avatar in 2 weeks. Literally above minimum wage.

If we gave you cash you'd just spend it on booze or drugs. This is the only way.

The government has to stop incentivising you to be poor.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Goffer posted:

“It’s a high-stakes game,” he said.

Yeah that really jumped out at me too.. jesus loving christ.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Bifauxnen posted:

I saw it and went all :ironicat: but couldn't be bothered to actually make a post about First Dog again.

Rule Number one of First Dog is you don't post about First Dog.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Gough Suppressant posted:

That's why my Facebook friends list comprises entirely of members of the Australian defence league

Opening your FB must be pretty akin to opening the ark of the covenant.

A list of insane ramblings from a racist, sexist, violent shithead then your face melts off.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Well what was I expected to do once soag left

All I'm saying is there are lot of farts that are suddenly and tragically remaining unhuffed.

Cartoon posted:

So you've met my Dad then.

Cartoons Upcoming TV Show: Shits my dad does.

Also horrible dads on FB are the worst. :sympathy:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

open24hours posted:

It's junk, the guy is the agricultural equivalent of an activated almond. If running sheep could green the desert we'd have green deserts by now.

I thought his point was that just running herds over them didn't work but you actually had to run herds over them in a specific way?

Note: I know nothing about agriculture and have no ability to judge the worth/worthlessness of this. So maybe I totally misunderstood.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

It rubs me the wrong way. Just like the koala cull.

Show me on the dead Koala where Labor touched you.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

No rights but property rights

No rights but eat the rich.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Endman posted:

Those wrist slaps were obviously partisan in motivation.

They were so partisan I didn't even both to actually slap the perpetrator on the wrist before condemning it.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

That is the perfect gif to illustrate politicians reaction to corporate malfeasance. Thank you.

EDIT: Actually they also need to turn around a punch a poor person in the face if we want a perfect illustration.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

starkebn posted:

Of course Palashchuk will say her hands are tied because it's not their decision, it's from the review board. Just like Newman and Co.

There should be a 10 year pay freeze for those positions. No one needs an extra 50k a year

QLDALP: Sells public assets, increases own wages, never changes from within.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Fruity Gordo posted:

Preparing your poos for a low-flow toilet, I see.

What do you eat?

Fruity Gordo posted:

Preparing my posts for a low-flow toilet, I see.

WHAT DO YOU TYPE????

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
You know the US has the deep south. We have the deep west and the deep north. Basically the further you get away from Melbourne the worse everything gets.

The only exception to this is QLD which is the worst all the time irrespective of proximity to Melbourne. I can say this with the Authority of someone who lives in one of the furthest capital cities from Melbourne.

Pretend I posted the torturing children vote here. Wilkie and Bandt are the only two redeeming features of the lower house.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

asio posted:

The reason for this is 1) that the greed of the south can't be contained and 2) southerners moving north. Ever since qld has been getting rulers from down south, from Brisbane to Newman, the state has been beaten and plundered.

What's the point of being banana/sugar/beef capital of the southern hemisphere if capitalists keep magicking away the money? It's nice that you have a little Europe down there with your quirky 'lanes' and paid graffiti artists but it's paid for with the blood of Queensland workers.

Where do you think the ganja that inspires your hip new bands comes from? How does the year round fresh fruit that you blend up for your new peer-approved diet get in your organic local produce grocery store?

Throw us a bone with state of origin, great. What does it say when the one time the odds are evened that Queensland is the best. "Oh but that's just rapey sport," well, show me one thing comparable in opportunity and I'll wager Queensland will be the best at that too.

I've lived my whole life in W.A. :eng99:

Also I'm pro Gary Marriage.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Facts are left biased and not neutral.

Neutral means not being critical of either side no matter who is at fault. We are critical of both sides because both are loving complicit in the indefinite detention (at least) and torture (provisional) of children.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

open24hours posted:

Who guessed puppet master? Someone should really start organising prizes.

Poo-pet master.

Edit: "Arguing with people who disagree with me is too difficult :qq:"

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Huragok posted:

Your friend is a psychopath ... and so are half of the Australian electorate. :shrug:

Yes but these people exist, and it's worth presenting a case to them that they will be able to agree with. It's very hard to actually tease out why people believe the things they do, why people support certain positions, and even if that reason is something like "I hate aboriginals" you can work with that, even if it's pointing out that by funding aboriginal social services how much it will benefit them by them having to deal with less aboriginals on the street. You argue to your audience, it doesn't really matter how reprehensible your audience is.

That's why people are trying to understand the reasoning behind fuckhead craig, if you understand the reasoning behind a bad argument you can dismantle it. Then again some people are just huge assholes with no reasoning who can never be swayed because they want to stamp on the faces of other people even if it does come at expense to themselves.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Holy loving mother of god. Keep doubling down Tones. Not a single shred of self reflection.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

I bet you could actually pitch this. Like a working-class combination of Q&A and Kitchen Cabinet.

Gaspy Political Dating Show please.

Anidav can have an unpaid internship.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Graic Gabtar posted:

Why would he do anything else?

The main criticism in that article is that this report somehow damages Australia on the world stage.

Last time I checked the world stage doesn't get a vote in Australian federal elections.

Also, much of the talk about this report is about "independence". To be honest that doesn't carry much weight with many people.

I can't quite parse your argument here.

I'm not sure how you see the main criticism as "it damages Australia on the national stage" and not as "Australia is found to be torturing people". Yes, the world doesn't vote on our elections, but we're torturing people.

The article mentions independence once, and a UN appointed investigator of human rights who was himself tortured is not a good judge of what is and isn't torture? What does this mean that "it doesn't carry much weight with people". Vaccinations don't carry much weight with many people, that doesn't change what it is.

I see what you mean in why would he react in any other way, but it doesn't make his reaction any less loving despicable.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

"Heil friends, and vilkommen to love mit Gaspy. This is the only dating show where the ends totally justifies the means, and when the ends is love? Well, lets just say no special rapporteur will get us down"

*gaspy winks at camera followed by slow pan to shower recess*

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Matthew Beet posted:

Nah I'm around. I just can't reach my mod panel from where I'm laying on the couch.

Did someone leave it on the top shelf of the bookshelf again? Have you lost your little step up stool?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Matthew Beet posted:

No. I said I couldn't get up from the couch. Go see if sadistech can get you one of those magnifying glass sheets.

Sadistech: Mobility and aged care service provider to goons.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Birb Katter posted:

There is a person in this picture who looks like a fat version of me. This is worrisome.

It is you, you're fatter than you thought.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Birb Katter posted:

I'm not fatsick enough to go to QLD, it's not me.

It's you from an alternate timeline where you moved to QLD.

*dun dun duuuuuuuun*

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Graic Gabtar posted:

The boats were stopped and then the passengers and crew were sent back.

That would count as a boat being stopped.

How does that count as being stopped for the purposes of preventing deaths at sea? They still went to sea in an unsafe boat to seek asylum in Australia. Ergo, boats not stopped.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Bifauxnen posted:

My hubby also tends to comes along (he got left out of the photo for some reason I can't remember). He doesn't have an account, and I haven't encouraged him to get one since he already spends way too much time arguing with people on different parts of the internet, so I think it's good for us to diversify our forum portfolio. :v:

No Invest it all in Auspolcoin, it can only go up uP UP!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Graic Gabtar posted:

Ah yes, I forgot I was a racist. Thanks for the reminder.

I've got my hand poised above the "make forum go full retard" button now BTW.

Unless the Australian Navy decide to patrol the Indonesian shoreline. A very bad thing because it's literally piracy apparently you are always going to get someone put to sea. Human nature.

However, the few that do are being intercepted very early and put on a safe ship and safely returned. There are also lot less of those boats trying it based on the number of rescue boats used compared to boat arrivals in recent times. That in itself indicates boats have stopped. Overall, the less time people spend on dangerous craft the better. The more boats that are stopped will continue to discourage others from believing the poo poo peddled by people smugglers and it will be safer again.

So they are stopping boats as you understand it.

I've bolded the parts where you're either wrong or your logic is faulty. Can you figure out what my issue with each of these bolded sections is? Try to put yourself in a viewpoint outside your own, if you're willing to humor me, otherwise I'll outline each in a later post.

Also they've said they "Stopped the boats", that is different to "stopping the boats". When they say they've "Stopped the boats" they're categorically wrong. Hell they could say they've "Reduced deaths at sea", "Reduced attempted boat arrivals" and these things could be true, but that's not what they say, and what they say isn't true.

EDIT: Also your puppetmaster schtick is pretty stale. Congrats, you get rises from people by being a torture denier/apologist, that's not really much of an achievement.

hooman fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 11, 2015

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

EightDeer posted:

Honestly, it is pretty impressive that he still gets people trying to genuinely debate him, even though he's stated outright he's just here to stir up poo poo.

I'll ignore his obviously reprehensible poo poo and correct the seemingly reasonable but actually totally wrong stuff. I think a lot more people should roll their eyes and move on though.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Wisdom Suppository posted:

Wow. That Indonesian politician seems to know the average Australian voter better than our own government. Right for the proverbial jugular.

It's not too surprising that an Indonesian would be aware of how horrible and racist Australians are....

hooman fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Graic Gabtar posted:

Yeah, as I'm sure you already have a nice response so just go for it. However...

- Sarah Honson-Young isn't crying crocodile tears for drowned babies while blubbering that "Tragedies shouldn't happen, accidents shouldn't happen" (when a conservative Government is in power).
- ABC reporters are no longer pawing the hulls of looted orange lifeboats on Indonesian beaches.
- Asylum seekers are not being shipped into detention by the truckload.

The boats have stopped.
Yeah, that would be me just be me letting people know in advance that y'know that "push button" issue this forum seems to have that sends you all into spastic frenzy? I was just about to post about it. So if you didn't want to read about it just skip a few posts. Anything else is sadly in your head.

Ah, your Ice Burns are so insightful, my response comes pre-crafted and I'm not actually trying to engage with you, because I'm so filled with bile and indoctrinated into a leftist hivemind. I crave an echo chamber and in no way want to discuss what you say as I actively trying to run you out of the thread, just like all of us here! Such a cunning argument you weave!

If you want to preface a post with "If you're going to get really angry about me posting about asylum seekers, please don't read this" then post that, don't post posturing bullshit about how you hover over the button of controlling others. Playing the "don't project onto me" card is a bit of joke.

Also, reread your post, look at how loaded all your language is, "pawing the hulls" "by the truckload" "crying crocodile tears", none of this is a constructive engagement in a debate. You can make all these points without including the loaded language and frankly it undermines your point, it reads as you applying personal judgement to the people involved in a situation rather than performing an analysis. It jars especially when you get so huffy when anyone dares use loaded language against you. Anyway, enough of the posting critique.

As tink said, if the boats have stopped why is the Aus government buying more return boats then? Hint: because they haven't. So the issues I take with the bolded terms.

Full Retard: Don't do this, it's offensive, say "ape poo poo", or "hog wild", "poo poo yourselves in a frenzy of outrage" or "huff your own farts so hard your butt goes up your nose and comes back out your now nosebutt". Use analogies that don't belittle sections of our population please.

literally piracy: No, it's a bad thing because it's literally an invasion of Indonesian sovereign territory. Piracy is what we do once it's outside Indonesian territory.

you are going to get someone put to sea: No, you aren't. If refugees have conditions that are humane you won't. How many people flee Australia to Indonesia by boat?

very early: Federal police will literally sit on information for hours to "protect their sources" about sinking boats which kills people. Also interceptions outside Indonesian waters is closer to their target which is Christmas Island than they are to Indonesia. So turning around or sending them back is actually making the trip longer!

safe ship: Reports of refugees with burned hands, being kept aboard for long periods without assessments or, worse, towed back which puts already dangerous vessels under stresses which put people in worse danger.

safely returned: I think you mean stranded at a random point along the coastline and having to trek back to civilisation. An asylum seeker literally drowned trying to cross a river to make this trek.

based on the number of rescue boats used compared to boat arrivals: This is actually baseless since they release no statistics on turnbacks, they don't produce any evidence that this is happening. It is a non verifiable claim, you can make educated guesses, but a) they haven't stopped and b) we have no idea if they have reduced, how much they've reduced by.

will be safer again: The treatment asylum seekers and refugees receive in Indonesia is reprehensible and awful, they have no rights and live on the very edges of society in awful conditions. Stopping boats (that were started by refusing visas to anyone from a war zone so the only way they could get to Australia to claim asylum was by boat, and then made more dangerous by a policy of harsh punishments to people smugglers and the destruction of vessels) puts refugees in more harms way, and costs more than community processing and not being scared of foreigners.

Please try to put in a bit more effort next time.

• Locked thread