Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
NSW is a bad state of bad people and the rest of us would be better off if it sank without warning into the sea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

So yeah, what's the odds on that letter being written on Lambie's own stationery?

Laserface posted:

Maybe someone should cut her head off.

jesus loving christ you dumb shits

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
hahahaha the idea of women being beheaded is really funny

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Yeah, why would anyone take issue with claims of a death threat being greeted with the immediate assumption that it was the person themselves creating a false threat lighten up geeze :rolleyes:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Fruity Gordo posted:

And if you are a parliamentarian you usually don't fart out a press release because you got a scary email, you give it to the AFP and don't publicise it, bc that is really really stupid?

So in your view Jacqui Lambie is both stupid enough to falsify her own death threat and yet too smart to have released information on a legitimate death threat rather than following proper procedure

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Fruity Gordo posted:

Never said she falsified it, champ. The empty quotes I did upthread on yesterpage were purely for punning purposes. There's no doubt in my mind that she's quoting emails she received from randoms she doesn't know.

Gough Suppressant posted:

Yeah, why would anyone take issue with claims of a death threat being greeted with the immediate assumption that it was the person themselves creating a false threat lighten up geeze :rolleyes:

Fruity Gordo posted:

Because they're a paranoid opportunist who Tasmania faceplanted into parliament?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Splode posted:

Calling her an opportunist and saying she wrote it herself don't make sense. You're bad at reading, please stop trying to have the most correct opinion.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Splode, I know you're excited because Fruity's back and she's the only poster here who can make you look intelligent by comparison, but you should probably just quit while you're only this far behind.

Fruity's post of

Fruity Gordo posted:

Because they're a paranoid opportunist who Tasmania faceplanted into parliament?

was in fact a response by her to this

Gough Suppressant posted:

and the reason most people can tell that's the case is because she quoted it in her post and started with the word "because"

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Fruity Gordo posted:

No, it's a legit question, MUYB. If you want me to look like a fuckwit, explain why I'm a fuckwit. Where did I say she or her people wrote the thing, rather than that they jumped on it as an opportunity for publicity? If you can't find it, pls let me know why it's illegitimate to say that she's an opportunist. And just for extra fun, pls explain why you've apparently given up on your strident feminist critique of making fun of Jackie Lambie

Fruity, what did you think you were replying to when you quoted my post saying that unfounded claims of her writing it herself are loving offensive? I'm guessing you misread and thought I was referring to it being an exterior false flag thing?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Fruity Gordo posted:

Like I read the entire thread I'm posting in.

If you read the entirety of auspol then you're definitely not the less weird one.

If we can agree on the fact that she probably didn't send it herself, can we also agree on the fact that for the person receiving the death threat, it probably doesn't change the experience very much whether it actually came from an islamic extremist or a christian extremist posing as one.

Gough Suppressant fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Mar 1, 2015

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Fruity Gordo posted:

No, it's a legit question, MUYB. If you want me to look like a fuckwit, explain why I'm a fuckwit. Where did I say she or her people wrote the thing, rather than that they jumped on it as an opportunity for publicity? If you can't find it, pls let me know why it's illegitimate to say that she's an opportunist. And just for extra fun, pls explain why you've apparently given up on your strident feminist critique of making fun of Jackie Lambie

It's not about making fun of jacqui lambie, she is a certifiable loving moron, it's about making light of the fact that she received death threats. The only reason I ended up bringing gender into it at all is because women receive more death threats than men do for the same behaviour.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Tokamak posted:

Don't worry, you'll know... you'll know.
Have you seen a nerd before? It's a group of nerds. Pudgy, awkward (both socially and from meeting strangers on the internet), a little unkempt, somewhat less fashion sense and talking about video games out loud. You'll be right, and maybe pm or post in the thread if you are lost :)

Post in the thread asking where everyone is while standing directly behind the most recognisable goon in said thread.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Seagull posted:

why does he even loving lie

Why does a dog bark?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

*you received a new iMessage*

---

"Sit on it, fatso"

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Speaking of Abbott and his potential misunderstanding of the Indonesian President, hasn't Abbott done that before? I'm still waking up but I'm getting weird deja vu - something about a politician being super incompetent and not understanding the finer parts of diplospeak where there is a common tongue of pleasant ambiguities that disguise the veiled threats or refusals beneath, and then an overeager and inexperienced politician takes the words at face value and pulls an excited press conference to announce that the US is sympathetic to our cause and will do whatever they can to help!!! Which then triggers a massive facepalm and later retraction. I swear it was a LNP member but I could also be conflating it with a movie or something

I think he overstated Bishops support for him during spill 1.0

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
The only people dumber than those on Q&A are those watching it

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Lid posted:

remember that time Slavoj Zizek was on it

I actually forgot about that and that was legit good, along with the episodes that have been outside Australia.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Antlions posted:

I accidentaly saw some QandA and now I'm mad.

are you mad as hell though?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

V for Vegas posted:

That site has been writing Australian property bubble stories for 5 years. They'll be right eventually!

No one in history has ever thought that their over-inflated market is the exception before!

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
My favourite part of a housing bubble is it may hit sometime soon after a labor government takes office federally, leading idiots(otherwise known as voters) to believe that was the cause and effect, firmly entrenching us in a thousand year reich under fuhrer Morrison with an austerity package harder to take than a suppository of all wisdom.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Well how the gently caress are we supposed to feel better about our own banal lives if not by sneering at others

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Adnar posted:

If only somehow there was a way people could buy a house that they could afford!

My mortgage costs me exactly the same as rent would (to the $$ almost), I pay a little more on top for taxes and strata.

How is renting better than that?

*walks into a conversation about people taking mortgages they can't afford*
I can afford my mortgage, why would anyone rent!

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Adnar posted:

The discussion was around "why would you get a mortgage" and "renting isn't that bad!"

Anyone who over reaches or hoards property by leveraging to their teeth deserves what's coming to them but there seems to be an implication that this is 100% of (young) Australian property owners.

The discussion was around whether it is victim blaming to talk about people with ridiculous mortgages being at fault when they fail.

If you want a place to live, have a stable job, and can afford to keep up repayments if you do find yourself without work for a chunk of time, then buying makes a lot of sense and offers a lot of benefits.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Bomb adelaide flat and put bitumen on top of the remains, problem solved.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Keith Windschuttle

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

norp posted:

When I bought my first place in 2009, it was 15 minutes from Perth and I did so on a $55k salary at 80% LVR.
Now it's rented out with the rent covering the mortgage and the other expenses.

So I'm not sure why people are counting things in 20-30 year horizons because that property sure as poo poo doesn't cost a whole lot to hold on to. And 5 years of mortgage payments are already covered by capital gains (it was valued when buying the next place)

Hint: people count things in longer timespans because sometimes not everything works out to plan.

If you're paying off your principal, then you are okay if you lose your income because you can cash out when you can't afford the payments. You are okay if the market downturns because you can live in the house and wait it out. You are not okay if both those things happen at the same time(they are often affected by the same factors) because you have to sell when you can't afford the payments and are now doing so for a loss because of the market going down.

Gough Suppressant fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 4, 2015

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
It's when people start talking about buying a first house as an investment that you can write them off as a source of financial advice just like you would write off someone who tells you to borrow multiples of your yearly income to sink into a single hard to move commodity with significant maintenance costs.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNgxyL5zEAk

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Tirade posted:

loving hell, that's such a joke. All four of the big banks are seriously exposed if housing goes south, and they drat well know it. But instead they're out there desperately looking for ways to increase their exposure because stock price trumps financial sanity.

Reminds me of that article from a year ago where a mortgage broker argued that parents should remortgage the family home so that they can gift a deposit to their children for a home loan of their very own. Because the only thing better than selling one mortgage is selling two.

It's almost as if capitalism actively devalues future and/or potential and/or shared costs

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
What are the odds of him going to jail for longer than an indigenous teenager who steals his third mars bar from a Darwin corner store

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Jumpingmanjim posted:

I know this a reference to mandatory sentencing in the NT, but can you remind of the story of that kid?

To my knowledge it is not a reference to any one specific case

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

fiery_valkyrie posted:

The Guardian article is awesome, and by awesome I mean that I want to cry.

Simpson is right, it's wrong of women not to respect that men want to keep the patriachy to themselves.

The best way to protest multinationals is by having a sit in at a McDonald's except you all buy a meal from there to eat while having the sit in imo

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

No way

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Anidav posted:

I miss Donkey Kong.

Blame the Italians. Immigration is the scourge of our nation.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
The problem with leafy green mountain living in the South East of Australia is that you are surrounding yourself with fuel in the most fire prone region on the planet.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Julie Bishop apparently offered a prisoner swap deal to Indonesia for Chan and Sukumuran, offering to send over some Indonesians in jail in Australia for an even bigger drug bust.

In what loving parallel world does something as stupid as this actually get floated officially to another country? Jesus Christ.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Wouldn't those Indonesians in Aussie jails essentially be murdered by Indonesia, then? I mean, executed?

What the gently caress is wrong with the liberal party

Who the gently caress even knows?

The impetus behind it seems to be Bishops belief that Indonesia loves executing people, just loving loves it, doesn't matter who, which I would imagine Indonesia finds pretty loving offensive.

Also there's the fact that the people concerned haven't been found guilty in courts in the country they would be sent to.

Australia does not do extradition to jurisdictions where people may face the death penalty unless a letter of understanding is sought(which apparently it is being, which makes it even more bizarre)

Just what in the gently caress does she imagine Indonesia sees as the value of the proposition.

That's not even considering the fact that prisoner swaps are generally what you talk about with terrorist groups or states you are at war with, with the intention of prisoner release.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Reminder: this is the same Julie Bishop who got moved from shadow treasurer because she is less competent than joe loving hockey

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I don't understand what she thinks Indonesia is getting from this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

hiddenmovement posted:

It's never a mistake adding these sorts of people, they are fascinating. Also they keep you plugged into parts of society that you would otherwise have no idea about, even if it makes you wish said society would just slide into the pacific ocean.

That's why my Facebook friends list comprises entirely of members of the Australian defence league

• Locked thread