Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Doctor Spaceman posted:

She's quite happy to call herself a journalist though.

Isn't that exactly what a journalist is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

If this forum counts as being published then sure, why not?

You don't have to be a good, or even accurate, writer to be a journalist.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Yeah, the only people who would benefit from a recession are people with the capital to buy up a bunch of property at low prices and wait for the next bubble.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The government could build a bunch of social housing that approved (lower incomes, don't own any other property) people could occupy and choose to buy at very favourable rates. Of course if they did this I'm sure we'd end with some sort of 1960s tower block nightmare, but it's a possibility.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The whole mortgage you can't afford thing just reeks of victim blaming. Sure there are people who live far beyond their means, but houses are expensive and not everyone is rich.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 3, 2015

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Laserface posted:

Are you serious?

I mean I know the whole borrowing money thing implies you cant afford a house, but if you actually cant afford the repayments, no one is holding a loving gun to your head to take on the loan.

When the alternatives are likely to lead to an even more miserable life than the one you get when you have a mortgage you can't afford they might as well be.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Over two decades now. Japan also has apartments for sale where you literally buy the apartment, and not the land / space in midair. So after 30ish years when the owner decides to tear down the building it's time to get a new house.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

There was a thing about cheap castles in France a while ago, I think it turned out that the rates / property tax was still pretty frigging expensive, which explained the lack of buyers.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/overseas-property/property-36093703.html

Shame it would cost almost as much to visit as the place is worth. Being on a site for British expats I'm sure that's about twice the real price for something similar.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

e: Also if you go through those photos it's literally a garden shed, you couldn't live in it. There have got to be tonnes of other places that are better value, you just won't find them on an English website

Yeah but six hectares, imagine all the donuts you could do.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Philistine.

[Edit: I've been dreaming about buying cheap land on the west coast of Tasmania and doing the same thing for a while now, but my girlfriend is passionately against it (and probably with good reason) so it remains a dream.]

open24hours fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Mar 4, 2015

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Eurovision is one of things that is so bad it's just bad. I like kitsch as much as the next guy, but Eurovision is just a tragedy and if you enjoy it, ironically or not, you are a bad person.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Finally a politician willing to embrace the sovereign citizen.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Tommofork posted:

So uh anyone else watched the new friendlyjordies? It's talking about a method of farming that offers a really simple answer to land turning to desert, proven techniques to reverse it which would also make a massive impact on climate change -- to the point where it could bring atmospheric CO2 levels back to pre-industrial levels while increasing food production.

Jordies for ref
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=durydz6Fh9M

Here's the ted talk he's referencing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpTHi7O66pI

Having watched both I'm just kinda marinating at the moment and trying to find out more info.

This seems about as likely as the mining industry going back to working with slaves and pick axes.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Gina's an idiot though. A slave is a lot more expensive than a truck.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It's junk, the guy is the agricultural equivalent of an activated almond. If running sheep could green the desert we'd have green deserts by now.

[EDIT: After reading a bit more about this it doesn't seem entirely settled and a lot more research is required before it will be. I remain skeptical though, as if it genuinely worked there is so much money to be made it seems unthinkable that it wouldn't have been adopted on a massive scale by now.]

open24hours fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 5, 2015

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

thatbastardken posted:

Are his results falsified or what?

Not that I know of, but they haven't been able to be consistently reproduced and a lot of what he discusses is anecdotal.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The ATO has a tool that might be able to help you.

http://calculators.ato.gov.au/scripts/axos/AXOS.asp?KBS=BC_SOWA.XR4&CONTEXT=01586887go+-1++0+0+6F6B+=

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I would guess that because you don't do this kind of thing regularly and don't have a proper company set up (an ABN by itself might not be enough) you should probably be treated as an employee rather than a contractor. If you have to pay yourself super and withhold tax from that $21/hour it's going to be a pretty poor rate.

http://www.fairwork.gov.au/about-us/policies-and-guides/fact-sheets/rights-and-obligations/contractors-and-employees-whats-the-difference

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

What is the point you are trying to make anyway? These people do not deserve sympathy because... Other bad things happen elsewhere? They aren't at the very bottom of the pile?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Graic Gabtar posted:

Agree.

If people didn't riot one person would likely be alive.

If medical processes were more effective (and hopefully are now) one person would likely be alive.

I left a baby in a tiger's cage and the tiger ate it. If only the tiger was better behaved or we had the technology to revive a partially digested baby.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Graic Gabtar posted:

A quick trip down meme-mory lane. The last time you were all calling me Hitler it was over the fact that the Australian Government was "literally committing piracy" by stopping boats.

Guess what? A massive lawyers picnic later and after countless forum/twitter wars the High Court finds that the Australian Government was acting lawfully.

Is lawful, is good? I don't think anyone arguing against it particularly cares if it fits the legal definition of torture or not.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Maybe they should force men to take six months off if they father a baby, whether they like it or not.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Terrified of ebonics.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I don't know why he keeps getting given a platform for his harebrained schemes. First welfare reform and now this. I wish I was a loudmouth billionaire so people would put my halfbaked ideas on TV.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

http://faculty.arch.usyd.edu.au/web/current/topic1/Attajarusit+Burdon+Burgess+Boyle%28T1%29/prepost%20colonial.pdf

This seems like a decent overview, but it's pretty light on detail.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Who guessed puppet master? Someone should really start organising prizes.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

If a lot of people believe the same thing then it must be wrong!

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Kommando posted:

It gets kinda echo chamber in here and i'm keen to hear genuine discussion of different views and the reasons for them. Half of australia (if you go by the polls) supports the PM, it would probably serve Auspol well if we heard from those who do.

its a hallmark of auspol to tell people to :frogout: and kill yourselves, but it gets pretty circlejerk :circlefap: at times and the floor gets sticky.

I'd be perfectly happy to have genuine conservatives posting in here. People who were prepared to admit their true beliefs, instead of trying to have everything both ways.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

MC Eating Disorder posted:

The "welp they rioted and burned down a building so they don't deserve poo poo" attitude is so prevalent and I just can't even get close to understanding it.

It's a lot easier to deal with if you think they deserve it. If you thought they didn't deserve it you might have to reevaluate your own position, which would mean admitting you were wrong, which is very difficult for a lot of people, especially when they see people who support refugees as latte-sipping, good-doing, inner-city-living antichrists.

http://www.peplaulab.ucla.edu/Peplau_Lab/Publications_files/Rubin%20%26%20Peplau%201975s.pdf

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Maybe they can reopen the Lightburn factory.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Whether he's a troll or not doesn't really matter, it's not like people are posting for his benefit. At least I hope they aren't.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Holy hell you're a crybaby.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The solution to a casual workforce is, as Les Affaires said pages ago, stronger regulation. Small business owners might not think there is any incentive for them to treat their employees well, so they must to be compelled to do so.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Graic Gabtar posted:

Said some soon to be unelected or never to be elected politician.

That's a pretty ridiculous thing to say. There are a lot more employees than employers.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Graic Gabtar posted:

I don't think it's ridiculous thing to say at all. Why do you say it's ridiculous?

Because people are pretty strongly in favour of stronger worker protections, and would happily vote for them if given the chance.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Graic Gabtar posted:

The scenario I would see as far more likely would be shrieks from the small business community, back to back Murdoch media coverage of common workers being put out on the street because these "job killing" policies (for the sake of the argument let's assume this is a Labor policy). A whole bunch of employers sacking people in anticipation of the new laws. Hundreds of thousands of panicked workers thinking better the devil you know voting against it.

It would have to be a well designed policy for that not to happen I believe.

Yes, it would be preferable if policies were well designed. I think you'll find that any implementation of any policy in any area can lead to catastrophe if you gently caress it up.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

TEAYCHES posted:

isnt it sort of silly to have an agrarian party on a continent thats like 80% wasteland?

The 20% that is left is bigger than most countries in Europe anyway.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

And endless series of governments trying to implement bad policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Graic Gabtar posted:

No government can even propose policy discussion without people going apeshit.

Your either racist, insensitive, wrong, perpetuating the "stolen generations" things, a pack of arseholes - you name it.

It's not limited to any one side of politics either.

The government is perfectly willing to run roughshod over people who complain. Look at the intervention, if it was political correctness holding back indigenous policy then we wouldn't have a problem to solve.

• Locked thread