Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

GrEat, a full month of insufferable NSW crap

Reminder that Victoria is the best state since we elect actual Greens, not sitting around the bongfire making up stories about how close the Greens candidate got to winning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Quantum Mechanic posted:

I had such high hopes for this thread :sigh:

Ahaahahahahahahahahahahaa

You know what you are dealing with here. God that was funny.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Drugs posted:

yeah if its opposites day

:thejoke:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Seagull posted:

Boy this thread is still bad.

Muir wrote something about how we shouldn't just grind up young people to be used as a cheap pig slurry and rather aid them when they're unemployed and personally I agree.

Muir continues to be pleasantly surprisingly one of the best members of parliament. Which isn't saying much but still.

I don't feel as bad these days as I put him higher on the Senate vote than all of the right wing parties at the last election

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Jumpingmanjim posted:

What does the ALP stand for?

Another Liberal Party

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Mithranderp posted:

Did everyone else stand up and clap?

No, but the communal bong was pulled out and everyone did a cone

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Anidav posted:

Queensland mate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THInLmziG_g

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

My Imaginary GF posted:

Watching Kevin Rudd spesk on Charlie Rose, whats the aussie opinion of him?

A control freak who couldn't understand why people started to dislike him

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

cpaf posted:

I'm just happy Auspol has fallen in love with a folksy straight-talker and are happy to put aside the small matter of him passing Morrison's Migration Act amendment
Muir got hosed over by that, don't even try to compare him to a Labor Senator who would rubber stamp stuff like that.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

cpaf posted:

Yeah absolutely and that's a tremendous glowing recommendation for him as a parliamentarian. He's completely incompetent and totally unreliable but boy does he spin a great yarn about his dad who did it real hard back when we lived in shoeboxes in the middle of the street.

It has been mentioned that he was told one thing by Morrison about the children in the detention camps, and the opposite actually happening. How was Muir to know that the children he thought he was freeing from overseas detention centres were going to be put into detention camps on the mainland?

How is his "incompetence" here flag him as being completely incompetent and totally unreliable in your eyes? Muir is still new to this, he is dealing with people who have lived and breathed politics all their lives. Of course as a political newbie he is going to stumble. But he has shown that he has learnt from his mistakes, which include the children in detention camps, and will make life hard for the Liberals and Nationals who thought he was a dumb bogan they could manipulate.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Endman posted:

Oh sorry I forgot my passport

*Closes the grill, calls in the guards*

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Man I can't wait for nothing to come out of this, other than a slap on the wrist

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Gough Suppressant posted:

So Joe Hockey farted from his mouth the idea of allowing people to draw from their superannuation to use as a deposit on a first home.

Much like the treasurer of australia, my only economics qualifications come through relation, but off the top of my head I can think of a number of problems with this.

- Like the first home owners grant it serves mainly to continue inflating the price of houses thus not making anything more affordable.
- People are at the best of times really bad at assessing future benefit vs immediate benefit, and will value a $50k deposit now far more highly than $50k when they retire
- People will think of a $50k deposit now as actually only being worth $50k, rather than $50k + 40 years of compounding interest.
- It decreases the value of your super, your second most valuable asset, to put into your house, your most valuable asset, leaving your total wealth less diversified and more at risk to market failure
- It encourages people to take out more ambitious mortgages to take advantage of "FREE MONEYS", with less consideration to whether the loan is appropriate to them in terms of income, job security etc
- You wind up with people retiring at 65 70 75 120 with less money to fund their own retirement and thus having to go on the pension starve in the streets

Like jesus gently caress, this is probably the dumbest policy Joe Hockey has ever thought of and it is sure not for lack of competition.

Dunno, I know it is a horrible idea to use super as a deposit, but then again who the gently caress wants to keep on living after retirement. Superannuation is wasted on the old :v:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

LOL talk about shutting the gate after the horse has bolted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-10/abbott-government-reinstating-241-billion-in-car-industry-fund/6292868

quote:

The Abbott Government is set to reinstate nearly $1 billion in funding for the car industry, in its latest move to cast aside several contentious policies.

The Coalition had planned to cut the funding, following announcements from Holden, Ford and Toyota that they would wind up car manufacturing in Australia in the next few years.

It is estimated tens of thousands of people will lose their jobs as the impact of the closures also hits the component sector.

Car companies had blamed the then-high Australian dollar, high costs of manufacturing and low economies of scale for their decision.

The funding cut was to have been made to the Automotive Transformation Scheme, which is slated to pump nearly $2 billion into the ailing industry.

But the government slashed the funding in last year's budget, in accordance with an election commitment, saying the savings would go towards the budget bottom line and "policy priorities".

After Holden's announcement in December 2013, Prime Minister Tony Abbott announced $60 million in federal funding for job creation in the states most affected — South Australia and Victoria.

"We don't want to see corporate welfare, what we want to see is a country which has got the economic fundamentals right," he said.

But the cut prompted fears the car makers would bring forward their closure dates.

Industry Minister Ian Macfarlane is expected to announce the policy change this morning in Adelaide.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Now there's another backdown on today's backdown:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-10/government-reinstating-car-industry-funding/6292868

quote:

No more than $100 million of the $900 million budget backdown in car industry support will actually flow through to the sector - and the Government is aware of the discrepancy.

Government sources have told the ABC that, based on business decisions and reduced production volumes in the car industry, the Abbott Government expects to save $800 million of the $900 million it has planned to cut from the Automotive Transformation Scheme.

Industry Minister Ian Macfarlane announced the switch in policy this morning in Adelaide, where thousands of car industry jobs are slated to disappear.

However, his own press release states that: "Most of the savings from the program will still be realised, based on production volumes as Ford, Holden and Toyota wind down production based on their independent decisions to end domestic car manufacturing."

Prime Minister Tony Abbott said the scheme would be "winding down as the car industry shrinks".

"The scheme will continue to operate as legislated and how much is spent under the scheme will depend entirely upon applications that are made to the scheme and the ordinary operation of the scheme," he said.

The Government had tried to wind up the scheme by legislation but it had no hope of clearing the Senate.

However, in reviewing the future of the scheme, the Government became aware of the fact that most of the savings would be realised as car production in Australia slowed.

Those savings will be booked to the budget and not set aside for car industry assistance.

This is completely at odds with a story briefed to the Adelaide Advertiser this morning and confirmed by the Government to the ABC which heralded that $900 million in car industry assistance was being saved.

Mr Macfarlane said the Government wanted to "create certainty" for the sector.

It is the latest move to cast aside several contentious policies — dubbed "barnacles" by Mr Abbott.

Mr Abbott indicated the decision to knock off this barnacle was not taken to Cabinet.

"It went to the ERC [Cabinet's Expenditure Review Committee] originally and the decision not to proceed with the legislation is the sort of decision which does not necessarily go to Cabinet," he said.

Mr Macfarlane told 891 ABC Adelaide he had been working on the backdown since August.

"A decision has been made, primarily to ensure that the industry goes the full distance in terms of it's already slated closure at the end of 2017," he said.

"Whilst the decision of people like Holden to cease manufacture was a decision they made separate to anything the Government did — and they are their words not ours — we don't want anything to jeopardise the survival of the industry until Holden finally closes."

Xenophon, Labor criticise Government's funding move

However, the move has also been criticised as a "pea and thimble trick" that may result in very little money flowing through to the sector.

Independent South Australian senator Nick Xenophon said the Government needed to bring forward $400 million in funding for the components sector slated to be spent after 2017 on work for car companies in Australia "otherwise we're still staring at over 100,000 jobs being lost in the next three years".

"Under the current rules of the ATS, the Government will never have to spend that $400 million, because Ford, GM Holden, and Toyota will have ceased car manufacturing by then," he said in a statement.

Holden, Ford and Toyota will wind up car manufacturing in Australia in the next few years, blaming the then-high Australian dollar, high costs of manufacturing and low economies of scale for their decision.

It is estimated tens of thousands of people will lose their jobs as the impact of the closures also hits the component sector.

The Government slashed the funding in last year's budget, in accordance with an election commitment, saying the savings would go towards the budget bottom line and "policy priorities".

But the cut prompted fears — including among the Government backbench — that the car makers would bring forward their closure.

Mr Macfarlane said he wants to ensure support for those companies.

"The scheme basically there is to support production. Now there have been differences in opinion in terms of whether or not the auto industry needs that," he said.

"I guess that's all history."

Federation of Automotive Products chief executive Richard Reilly said the decision will keep research and development alive and potentially boost exports.

"If that money was going to go it was going to have an enormous and potentially dramatic impact on the industry and potentially early closure," he told ABC Radio in Melbourne.

Opposition Leader Bill Shorten said the decision was "very late in the piece".

"Very belatedly we're seeing the Liberal National Government in Canberra junk some of their unfair, crazy policies, but I do not believe for one minute that the Liberal National Government in Canberra has changed its mind," he said.

"They're just changing their tactics."

After Holden's announcement in December 2013, Prime Minister Tony Abbott announced $60 million in federal funding for job creation in the states most affected — South Australia and Victoria.

"We don't want to see corporate welfare, what we want to see is a country which has got the economic fundamentals right," he said.

The policy switch is the latest in a series of changes by the Government, including a decision to boost the pay rates of defence personnel and to dump the idea of a Medicare co-payment.

They have come after Mr Abbott survived a move to spill the leadership in a partyroom meeting in early February.

Mr Macfarlane said it was "pretty cynical" to conclude the decision was also about the survival of Mr Abbott.

:psyduck:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Anidav posted:

I wish I had my own bus.

Another new av. Wow

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Lid posted:

Weel seeya Aldi

So it seems to be the case that either the store or the person's house is where larva is coming from, rather than the manufacturer

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Anidav posted:

I love my nut milk. I made some today and offered it to my friends then gave them shelf almond milk to compare.

I felt so honored that they chose my milk as the better. Its so loving easy to make too.

Some idiot put nut milk into the coffee machine at work, and a co worker got an anaphylactic shock from it. Now there is a warning.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

QUACKTASTIC bad poster
- Auspol

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

hooman posted:

hahahahahahaha seriously? holy loving poo poo.

So... out... of... touch.
The Australian voter's response:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGhP3p6lI3U

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Konomex posted:

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...318-1m23mx.html

The video is really something else. Just watch it, it's insane. This is why the government can't get legislation passed, they are idiots and trying to say 'That's not what he meant' isn't fooling anyone.

Wow, that was something. Heffernan being shot down by the speaker each time he opened his mouth was good

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Government's Big Fat Tax on the Internet

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I'm surprised the idiots on Whingepool are so quiet on the metadata stuff since they were all ready to vote for the Liberals when Labor wanted to introduce an Internet filter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Someone has spotted Anidav's car

• Locked thread