Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

NSW LNP policy the same as what Newman/Abbott gets crucified for...

NSW voters - :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Oh look 100 new posts. I wonder what happened
:yikes:

wb fruity.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Breetai posted:

SO I've never been to a goonmeet before and was vaguely worrying about how to identify the right people at the pub tomorrow, never having met any of you, by the general tone of this thread I'm looking for the people slapfighting each other, doling out purple nurples, and screaming "false flag, false flag!", right?

Don't worry, you'll know... you'll know.
Have you seen a nerd before? It's a group of nerds. Pudgy, awkward (both socially and from meeting strangers on the internet), a little unkempt, somewhat less fashion sense and talking about video games out loud. You'll be right, and maybe pm or post in the thread if you are lost :)

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Anidav posted:

I handed out a resume to a cafe owner yesterday who declined my resume and told me minimum wage was too high and penalty rates are an out of date concept; therefore she will be unable to hire anyone until the government fixes those things. According to small cafe owner woman person.

The captains of industry are going on strike, they're going... they're going galt.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Nuclear Spy posted:

Check out the name of the new UK thread.

So I opened up the UK thread and learned that UKIP is the most popular 3rd party. And that you'd need the other smaller 3rd parties to band together to prevent UKIP from making the plays in a coalition.
:itwaspoo:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Q&A is like Question Time that only consist of Dorothy Dixers and self congratulating political commentators.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

<----- :geno:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Profile: NSW Opposition Leader Luke Foley on the challenge of being unknown

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Guy Sebastian's off to Eurovision.

This actually makes sense. Guy is a Eurovision calibre singer.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

katlington posted:

We're all going to die.

Consumers of australia lend me your upvotes.

I'm a sovereign consumer :suicide:

Debate & Discussion: We tortured some folks › Strangecoin: hockeynomics

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

markgreyam posted:

I'm quite possibly just under-read on this topic but what are the

coming from deregulated university fees?

you'll have the same opportunity to attend six figure courses* at sandstone unis as the rich kids.
(*with a six figure loan)

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Why did we have to pay 20 odd thousand in tuition fees when our parents got a free education?
*looks at proposed education changes*
I'm so glad that I was one of the last people who were charged an affordable amount for a university education.
fygm.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

a literal sermon... in a comic...

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

katlington posted:

4corners said nobody in the lnp foresaw any of the backlash to the budget?? Smoking too much of their own jenkum imo.

The Republican Party, circa 2012 elections.
Except in this case they won, and have no idea why the public voted them in.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

A pet dingo ate my baby.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Amoeba102 posted:

That doesn't tell me if the preferences exhaust at my last number or if they then continue basd on the last parties preferences.

I'd imagine they exhaust because there is no simple, logical way for the preferences to continue.

Does it continue from the last parties preferences, or the first? Or say the person voted for a couple of micro parties first but would prefer the preferences from the greens/labor/lnp (which might be number 3 or 4 but not last). What happens when the parties preference has already been preferenced earlier by the voter? It would be really difficult to interpret voter intention with some sort of hybrid system.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

fliptophead posted:

Imagine my suprise when I saw this headline on the graun!

I like the bit about him apologising for "going too far" with the Goebbels comparison.
Did people already forget about him claiming that Labor caused a 'jobs holocaust' last month? The guy is clearly happy to make offensive remarks about his political opponents. Has he been looking at news limited papers for inspiration?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

dr_rat posted:

Tony Abbott now saying: "These are very important, very important, and very disturbing claims, very disturbing findings, and that is why we have fully accepted the recommendations of the report,"
Which is at least somewhat closer to a proper reaction. As it seems doubtful he is going to actually try and change the situation on Nauru any for the people imprisoned there, in the end it doesn't really matter what words he used.

I reckon it got back to the ministers that the abuse is too well documented to pretend that its not really happening, or that its only a couple of cases that need 'further investigation'. Better to start slowly walking it back now because it will eventually come out and this way they appear that they were proactive, and give off the illusion that they aren't evil pieces of poo poo.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

It gets to a point where it becomes cost prohibitive to contain a problem, so it be better to try and get ahead of it to minimise its impact. In political terms, it is a softening of stances. I would speculate that they are doing it to try and save votes for when the bombshell (that asylum seekers are 'treated inappropriately') is dropped. Maybe they are expecting it to happen before the next election?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Jumpingmanjim posted:

There's a particularly vile kind of intellectual dishonesty that allows people to go around saying this. That or just plain stupidity.

dem poles are going to last for centuries!

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Well yeah, there's that issue, and there'll always be the issue of poorer/more remote communities having no choice but to go with private suppliers, plus you know the government would be strong-armed into paying subsidies to private energy companies for no loving reason.

Having everyone hooked up to a national grid is necessary to ensure high power quality and guarantee continuous service. Like phone lines, power lines are going to remain a vital utility for the foreseeable future. Leasing the power network is just going to lead to the creation of a new Telstra.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

lol, Ratcliffe is the real life version of Brie Bella.

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Mar 25, 2015

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Over 2000 words of onion based political commentary...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Need money? Want to introduce a new tax, but can't break election promises?
Introducing the LNP patented 'not a tax' ™

• Locked thread