Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BloatedCorpse
May 11, 2005
Downstairs
The election is on the 28th of March

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloatedCorpse
May 11, 2005
Downstairs
I joined the greens when I lived in Newtown but now I live in Balmain, do I switch branches? How's that all work?

BloatedCorpse
May 11, 2005
Downstairs
I am from the best state. All the people from my state are great. The people from your state are bad people and you are bad. You should kill yourself and your state should burn and sink into the sea.

BloatedCorpse
May 11, 2005
Downstairs
Yeah I'm gonna go with that letter more likely being real and now Jacqui Lambie's gonna need a security detail. Could also possibly be a hoax by a right-winger. It would really suck if a sitting government MP was killed by extremists.

BloatedCorpse
May 11, 2005
Downstairs

freebooter posted:

Is it not typical for young people to be hoping for a bubble burst so that we can actually afford our own homes one day like our parents did? I know I am. How else are going to end the current unjust system, i.e. the bubble, if not by it bursting?

Slow deflation of the bubble is probably more desirable.

BloatedCorpse
May 11, 2005
Downstairs

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Rates can't decrease/stay low forever. Forgive my economic ignorance, but if house prices are down and people are taking out smaller loans, wouldn't banks want higher interest rates to keep their profits coming in?

The national interest rate is set by the reserve bank which loans money to the other banks. They then loan out that money at whatever rate they want, which tends to hug the national rate pretty closely because if they had their rates too high then a competitor would undercut them and people would move their loans over to the competitor. Of course with 4 big banks controlling most of the loans they have a tendency to agree to sometimes not lower their rates together when the reserve bank does, but you won't see them suddenly increasing their rates by a large amount if the reserve bank keeps their rates down.

BloatedCorpse
May 11, 2005
Downstairs

Lid posted:

Why doesn't the media report on the people who die while undergoing chemotherapy every day? - An essentially identical comment to one on The Guardian. Actually several. Actually The Guardian commentators are insane in the complete opposite direction.

Taking breast cancer as an example (one of the more common and more survivable cancers if treated) (treatment = surgery if recommended + chemo/radio as recommended)

The line goes down when someone dies.
A = overall survival, B = survival not counting people who died from unrelated causes
Note I can't quickly find a survival curve that stretches out to 10 years but the survival tends to flatten out after 5 years for people who took treatment and continue to go down for those who refused.

BloatedCorpse fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Mar 3, 2015

BloatedCorpse
May 11, 2005
Downstairs

SynthOrange posted:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOUUUUUUU AUSTRALIAAAAAAA

Police investigate Save the Children whistleblowers over Nauru abuse report
Exclusive: Immigration department asks AFP to investigate submission to Human Rights Commission detailing sexual and physical abuse of children

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/mar/04/police-investigate-save-the-children-whistleblowers-over-nauru-abuse-report

Isn't Nauru outside of the AFP's jurisdiction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloatedCorpse
May 11, 2005
Downstairs

thatfatkid posted:

Why should someone looking to "protest vote" or "keep the bastards honest" choose the Dems over the Greens?

I guess if you're pro-liberal capitalism but anti-corruption?

• Locked thread