Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

remigious posted:

Oh jeez. I've been looking around trying to find a library job because I'm going nuts here at my cushy office job. I applied for a librarian position in the next town over and was informed that I am advancing to the next stage, which is great, but I have to write a five page essay -_- I'm pretty decent at writing essays, it's just kind of intense.

I thought I'd seen it all!

Nope!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I really want this job :( but now that I am deeper into this, they want "segmentation data" for the demographics of two towns and I don't know what segmentation data is.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I think this whole librarian job search might just an elaborate ruse to get you to write someone's term paper

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

U-DO Burger posted:

I think this whole librarian job search might just an elaborate ruse to get you to write someone's term paper

I suppose it does sound that way, but the email I received is legit and from the library director.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
College reference librarian? It'd make sense to make sure someone helping people with essays can write one.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

remigious posted:

I really want this job :( but now that I am deeper into this, they want "segmentation data" for the demographics of two towns and I don't know what segmentation data is.

Do they mean for marketing? Is this position focused on a particular subject? Is there a clue in anything they said which will tell you what they mean? It looks like you're going to need more information. If they won't give it, or rule you out for needing to ask for it, congratulations, you have dodged a bullet. You don't want to work for someone who punishes you for not reading their mind.

Ask me how I know.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
The position is for business librarian. I thought it would be about providing high level services like connecting people to resources so they can do their own research. It's weird that they apparently want to hire someone to do in-depth research on demographics for people. I hope they plan to charge people, if that's the case.
I have so many questions!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Basically subject specific reference then. They expect you to be expert at finding things. They probably want market segmentation data. Unless they've given you access to some subject databases, good luck, because that kind of stuff tends to be heavily paywalled, like for thousands of dollars.

It makes sense that they'd expect you to find it. Most people who aren't researchers won't know how to navigate or query those databases. A lot of people need someone to hand them verified sources. I mean sometimes you'll just be someone for an expert to bounce ideas off of, but some people need all of the help.

On the one hand, if they're looking for someone who already know how to find this stuff, fine; but they should have put that in the job announcement. On the other, asking for verification and clarification is part of a reference interview. You should probably have asked for it immediately.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
That all makes sense. Thank you!

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
I feel like there are better ways to demonstrate the candidate knows something about their field. Like answering questions in an interview or presenting on the topic, where it can't be as easily fudged like in a paper.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

this "there's a better, easier way we can accomplish this" attitude is exactly why you'll never be in a position of real influence in a library

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

I'm not a librarian, but the poo poo you all post here makes me very appreciative of my library leadership.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Insane Totoro posted:

I feel like there are better ways to demonstrate the candidate knows something about their field. Like answering questions in an interview or presenting on the topic, where it can't be as easily fudged like in a paper.

Fudged? Either you can find the information (assuming it is real, exists, and has been properly defined) or you can't. Who even cares how you do it?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

U-DO Burger posted:

this "there's a better, easier way we can accomplish this" attitude is exactly why you'll never be in a position of real influence in a library

And why I got fired from my last job. I am now firmly of a mind to keep my head loving down even if I'm specifically asked for my opinion. It is never not a trap, and friends I made still working there have confirmed that morale - which everyone in the county library system knew was bad months ago - has continued to decline while leadership continues to not talk to each other and proceeds seemingly blissfully unaware that anything is wrong.

Incidentally I've also been searching for more general office and computer related jobs.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

My girl doesn't know who Ron Paul is. Any good videos to introduce her?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

vaginal facsimile posted:

My girl doesn't know who Ron Paul is. Any good videos to introduce her?

This ought to hook you up, fam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca7IhkfBMes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X3qWYe2f7A

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Welp the contract on my lovely job ran out and just as I was settling in for another year of slacking off between jobs I landed a fulltime one that I only applied for as an application writing practice run. I gotta be doing something right but I'll be damned if I can figure out what it is.

Seems kinda boring so far though so maybe it's not "staying in the library field"! :v:

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

So I got invited to take an exam for a county library clerk position. Does anyone have any tips or even just some general ideas what's going to be on the test? They have literally no information, I probably need to email them just to find out how long it is.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

If it's a generic clerk test then my guess is it's going to be a timed test aimed to determine how well you can do basic poo poo like sorting names and numbers, followed by a customer service quiz.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

U-DO Burger posted:

If it's a generic clerk test then my guess is it's going to be a timed test aimed to determine how well you can do basic poo poo like sorting names and numbers, followed by a customer service quiz.

I'd imagine also a typing speed/accuracy component, and possibly a "spot the errors on this document" part.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
LMAO

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/librarian-faces-backlash-for-rejecting-book-donation-from-melania-trump/

quote:

A librarian at the Cambridgeport Elementary School in Massachusetts is facing backlash for declining a shipment of books from first lady Melania Trump.....

.... Cambridge Public Schools says the librarian's editorial letter represented her opinions and was not an official statement on behalf of the school district.

The district says it has "counseled" Soeiro on its policies. It says her letter "was not a formal acceptance or rejection of donated books."

I mean like, donor/gift policies are a thing, right? And I didn't just make that one up out of thin air...

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lol nice

The fact is that a lot of people think they can treat a library like a Goodwill for their collection of lovely books.

"B-but, you've got a few inches of space at the end of every row of books, you've got plenty of room!" :qq:

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Yeah, there are certain softball "political" things that you don't need to make a stink out of, but, well, here we are.

A better way to have brought attention to her one good point (why donate to rich libraries when there are poor ones?), would have been to donate the donated books to a poorer library in a neighboring district.

And given that Obama, Bush, and Clinton iirc donated Dr. Seuss for this occasion as well, and the high attrition rate of his books in my own library, well... It strikes me as using any given opportunity to criticise, rather than a genuine dislike of the author and/or occasion.

Here's the original article: http://www.hbook.com/2017/09/blogs/family-reading/dear-mrs-trump/#_

And here's the librarian in question dressed up as the Cat in the Hat: http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2017/09/dr-seuss-is-racist_librarian_d.html#incart_river_home

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
What galls me is that the First loving Lady thought it would be a grand PR gesture to give... ten Dr. Seuss books to a wealthy school library. Not only a library that doesn't need help, but ten of the most common books that even public libraries in West Bumfuck are all but guaranteed to own and I could probably buy for twenty bucks together.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Cythereal posted:

What galls me is that the First loving Lady thought it would be a grand PR gesture to give... ten Dr. Seuss books to a wealthy school library. Not only a library that doesn't need help, but ten of the most common books that even public libraries in West Bumfuck are all but guaranteed to own and I could probably buy for twenty bucks together.

She gave 10 to one library in each state, so 50 total. I don't think it was meant as a grand gesture, more as a token. I'm sure nobody would ever have heard about this if the librarian hadn't rejected them.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Yeah but you just don't do that to ANY donor.

And even if they're dupes, most libraries gladly accept copy 2s.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Sometimes libraries will avoid this kind of drama by quietly disposing of donated materials at a later date, sometimes going as far as covering all identifying marks, handwritten notes and barcodes with a sharpie before throwing them in a locked confidential paper bin

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

She gave 10 to one library in each state, so 50 total. I don't think it was meant as a grand gesture, more as a token. I'm sure nobody would ever have heard about this if the librarian hadn't rejected them.

board books would probably have gone over better; kids loving eat those.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Sometimes libraries will avoid this kind of drama by quietly disposing of donated materials at a later date, sometimes going as far as covering all identifying marks, handwritten notes and barcodes with a sharpie before throwing them in a locked confidential paper bin

That's just called the Better World Books dropoff

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Oh wait you mean a dumpster.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My library doesn't have a dedicated staff member to look after the public printers, and I kept joking every time something went wrong with one how printers are every IT department's nightmare and no one wants that job.

Today my boss called me in and guess what has two thumbs and is my library's dedicated staff member to look after the printers.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Taking the cute girls who work in circulation out to lunch every day is a total nightmare and no one wants that job!

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Don't. Date. Librarians.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Insane Totoro posted:

Don't. Date. Librarians.

Can confirm, am a librarian and have not had a successful dating life.

I have interviews over the next couple of weeks for an IT helpdesk and a secretarial job, though.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Don't. Date. Ex. Librarians.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Insane Totoro posted:

Don't. Date. Librarians.

And furthermore don't date a librarian if you are one.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Does anyone have a task tracking app that they use / would recommend?

I supervise our Student Assistants and their hours can be pretty variable. We have been using an app for them to see a list of tasks associated with their shift and mark them off when they're done. The one we're using (Quire) seems more like it is built for project management and not daily lists. Even though it has a recurring task function, it's kind of a hassle to actually go through and mark 25-30 things done in a day.

Any thoughts?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

So far no one has told me I can't tell everyone my job title is Printer Pope.

also made lunch arrangements, just to be contrary

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009
I’m not sure where to post this, so I’m going to give it a try here (it seems somewhat appropriate).

I’m having a general crisis. I’ve been a special education elementary school teacher for a few years now, working on my Master’s degree in New Orleans. Next year, I plan on moving to Portland and I’m really thinking about going down the path of tenure college professor. I absolutely love my job, but in a handful of years, I know I’ll be tired and I want to teach the next crew.

My problem is that, after some research, the entirety of Portland, Oregon ONLY offers Ed.D degrees, and not a Ph.D. I’ve researched this ad nauseam and I understand that you can become a college professor with an Ed.D, but it’s uncommon and can be frowned upon.

Do y’all think that going down an Ed.D route is a viable option, because I’m so wary of online schools (ESPECIALLY for a Ph.D), or should I try my best to find an online Ph.D program? Not moving to Portland isn’t an option, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Fumaofthelake posted:

Does anyone have a task tracking app that they use / would recommend?

I supervise our Student Assistants and their hours can be pretty variable. We have been using an app for them to see a list of tasks associated with their shift and mark them off when they're done. The one we're using (Quire) seems more like it is built for project management and not daily lists. Even though it has a recurring task function, it's kind of a hassle to actually go through and mark 25-30 things done in a day.

Any thoughts?

One of my managers loves KanbanFlow, but YMMV.

• Locked thread