Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
The only thing I can think of to add is that beyond making sure the program is ALA-accredited, no one really seems to care which school you went to (may differ for academic librarians). Some schools offer in-state tuition for online students, so check around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
That's where I went. If you're in Metro Detroit, most librarians will have gone to Wayne; the general consensus is 'go to WSU if you want to be a librarian, go to UM if you want to work with databases/information systems/etc.' However, I had to move out of state to get a full time job, there are very few public librarian job openings in Metro Detroit. I found about 5 in 6ish months of looking. One I interviewed for had about 40 applicants and was kinda specific (kids' bookmobile stuff). OTOH, he'll have much more library experience than I had upon graduation, so his chances may be better.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

remigious posted:

Sorry for double posting, but what is the correct answer to this common interview question?
"If a parent of a student came to you with a problem about the book they had checked out, deeming it inappropriate etc, how would you respond to that parent?"
I always say something along the lines of "I would tell the parent that I will pass their concern along to the librarian in charge of that department, but ultimately I agree with ALA's stance that it is the job of the parent to police what their children read."
Is that a good answer?

I'd probably toss a line in there about library collections representing all viewpoints/being for everybody and how many items in the library are ordered because of patron request (assuming that's true). Also, most libraries have a reconsideration policy, see if you can look that up online beforehand. My library has a formal challenge process that involves the patron filling out a form, then various library staff watch/read the title in question. Most patrons balk at that and end up not bothering.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
I started my MLIS program planning to be an archivist and ended up in public libraries focusing on social media. Your advice is all p good, I think graduating without experience is about the worst thing you can do in the library world (assuming you want a job).

• Locked thread