Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

MussoliniB posted:

I’m not sure where to post this, so I’m going to give it a try here (it seems somewhat appropriate).

I’m having a general crisis. I’ve been a special education elementary school teacher for a few years now, working on my Master’s degree in New Orleans. Next year, I plan on moving to Portland and I’m really thinking about going down the path of tenure college professor. I absolutely love my job, but in a handful of years, I know I’ll be tired and I want to teach the next crew.

My problem is that, after some research, the entirety of Portland, Oregon ONLY offers Ed.D degrees, and not a Ph.D. I’ve researched this ad nauseam and I understand that you can become a college professor with an Ed.D, but it’s uncommon and can be frowned upon.

Do y’all think that going down an Ed.D route is a viable option, because I’m so wary of online schools (ESPECIALLY for a Ph.D), or should I try my best to find an online Ph.D program? Not moving to Portland isn’t an option, unfortunately.

the thread you want is this one, but the short answer is that academic jobs are extremely competitive, and they are very difficult to get even if you are geographically flexible. given what you're looking for and the constraints you're under, I would strongly advise against going down this route

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread