Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beo
Oct 9, 2007

Scenario: I've worked in the library for about 10 years now(no Library Science Degree) I started as a part time IT guy, eventually I managed inter-library loan along with front desk duties. Over time my responsibilities and wages have increased. When we remodeled and added on to the library I was made the de facto reference librarian and got involved in the programming aspect of librarianship I helped organize and plan the major events and eventually I became the Library Director's right hand man. About six months ago our director left and the board put me in charge of the day to day operation of the library while we search for a director. For a while our old director stayed on to manage the books but about two months ago I became responsibility for non budget finance aspects of the library. To make a long story short I've now pretty much been involved in all aspects of Public Librarianship and I am considering if it's worth getting a library degree to pad my resume so i can leave this poo poo hole of a state(Kansas).

So my question is, is it worth getting an MLS? My impression right now being involved in hiring various positions is it's damned hard to get a library job and I should probably be happy with what I have and/or go into traditional IT.

Beo fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

Toph Bei Fong posted:

This goddam job:

Sometimes I can't decide if i should laugh or cry when I read through the fantasy/paranormal/sci fi new releases.

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

quote:

You probably already know this, but I should warn you anyways that it's not all "I need to find my old dead grandfather's grave" or "tell me about this cool snake I took a picture of while hiking". A lot of it is "How do I print?" and "I've read every Amish romance you own. Recommend me some more Amish romance authors with some sex, but not too much. Just a tasteful amount." and "How do I print?" and "Donald Trump is right. Print me out Fox News' entire website on him" and "How do I print?"

If you add where's the bathroom and where are your books on serial killers? You will describe my job as a reference librarian in a midwestern town perfectly!

As far as on the topic of public libraries I will say that circulation is non stop busy, reference is pretty fun/easy but if you are in a smaller public library you will almost always be covering multiple positions unless you are a children's librarian I guess. My favorite spot to be at in a public library is definitely around the #2 spot where you have input into budgets, the board knows you and respects your input, your only boss is the director and your job is basically short periods of inactivity interposed with sheer panic when you have to deal with weird things. Most importantly you don't have to play politics with funding entities, city managers, commissioners etc AND you can pass the buck to the director. I've had to fill in for the director for a while now and the absolute worst part of the job is the politics of a small town, I'm not sure if it would be better in larger towns or not.

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

repairing books is relaxing as heck and no stress. I also prefer the ones that are kind of difficult and if someone saw you mid repair they would think you were destroying the book but in the end you save it :3

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

Yeah i have to agree it's 99% because of what you said about the makerspace project. It's not really fair to you but poo poo happens and maybe it won't actually matter at the end of your probation.

I

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

Librarians tend to hate confrontation if one of them is mad at you about something rather than discussing it they will get back at you in the most round about way possible. I don't know why this job attracts so many passive aggressive people the only explanation I've found is years of guidance counselors steering quiet shy people into librarian school. *shrug*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

remigious posted:

Hi friends, I have a question for you librarians: where can I find demographic info for people that frequent cat cafes?

I don't know where to find it but i know they are white and from the east or west coast. hope that helps

• Locked thread