Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Sure I'll play along:

I'm a paraprofessional at an academic library. ILL is my main job.
I prefer people over books.
Cats are okay. Now that I've got kids I don't care as much for cats.
No glasses.
Majored in Cultural Anthropology, and I'm currently getting a degree in Public Administration because I figured that I should have a degree that's worth something. I've discovered that I love the topic of government finance, specifically taxes and budgeting.
Hoping to get the gently caress out of libraries once I've got my degree.

My worst interview experience comes from being on a hiring committee. We were holding interviews for a management position, and one of the people we interviewed was a squirrelly guy who mumbled a lot, seemed unsure of every answer he gave, didn't make much eye contact, and generally sent off a bunch of other red flags that told me "this man would not make a good leader". Somehow he catapulted head-and-shoulders above the competition in everyone else's minds, in no small part because everyone else was friends with him. It was hard to push back because I was the lowest ranking member on the committee, and telling them that their friend sucks wasn't going to get me far. They ruled out my favorite candidate because she had no academic library experience (she said as much on her resume, why did you even interview her then?), and when I kept pushing my second favorite candidate, they decided to be "objective" by listing a set of biased criteria and showing how their candidate scored so much better than my candidate. Their candidate got hired, and lo and behold he was just as terrible as I thought he'd be, and after failing to do anything useful for a couple years, and having gotten literally every single one of his employees pissed off at him for being so incompetent, he retired and moved out. Yaaaay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I guess I shouldn't just post depressing stuff, so I'll be posting whenever we've got a job opening at my workplace. Two of our academic research librarians are going to be retiring this year, after having worked here for like 30+ years, and I imagine we'll be starting the search for their replacements within the next few months. So I'll be letting everyone know once the job openings are posted.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

This thread is depressing.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

remigious posted:

I had my first ever phone interview for a patron services technician position yesterday and I totally blew it. I was not prepared for the questions they asked me, things like "what's you're favorite library story," and "sell me on something."
I guess I expected to answer more customer service oriented questions.
I have another interview tomorrow at an academic library and I badly want this job.
Any tips or questions I can expect?

Uhhhh I'm guessing the person who directed that interview wasn't sure of what questions were good to ask and just made poo poo up because holy hell those are terrible questions

Anyway, I've been on a hiring committee twice for my academic library, both times for finding someone to hire as the Circulation Manager. I've still got the questions we asked the interviewees for their initial phone interviews and the face-to-face interviews. I don't know how helpful this will be since I don't know what position you're applying for, but you can see the questions here.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

nesbit37 posted:

I wish the laws around the academic tuition remission were better for the graduate level. Undergrad stuff its fine, but apparently with grad classes it counts as income so you get hit with it by being taxed on it, and that would also really mess with the rates for my IBR and paying back these $60k in student loans. As its set up, baisically no more grad classes for you student loan havers! Hopefully congress doesn't screw everyone and the whole repayment thing will still be around in ~4 years when I hit the 10 year payback limit and they fix the issue that the full balance of the forgiven debt be counted as income for the year it is forgiven turning a multi-year repayment into a one time tax charge of $30k.

Yeah grad tuition remission is screwy in that tuition waived in excess of $5250 is taxable income UNLESS the degree is a condition of employment or something like that. I'm a para getting my MPA and this tax issue is what forced me to go grad school at less than full-time.

Also lol is PSLF seriously going to be taxable income? That's going to be a fun year.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Does the prospect of being constantly embroiled in the politics of academia excite you? Boy, do I have a job opportunity for you!

Our institution's University Librarian is retiring after serving for a couple decades, so now we're hunting for a replacement. AFAIK applications are being considered as they come in, so the sooner you apply, the better.

http://www.imsearch.com/searches/details/content/S5-662

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

What are they telling you? Have you called them?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

tumor looking batty posted:

How do I get a libertarian girlfriend?

Get a girlfriend and remind her every day that her non-libertarian beliefs are childishly naive, then segue into lecturing her on the brilliance of that new reason.com article on Bitcoin that you found on reddit. She'll come around sooner or later.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I think this whole librarian job search might just an elaborate ruse to get you to write someone's term paper

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

this "there's a better, easier way we can accomplish this" attitude is exactly why you'll never be in a position of real influence in a library

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

If it's a generic clerk test then my guess is it's going to be a timed test aimed to determine how well you can do basic poo poo like sorting names and numbers, followed by a customer service quiz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lol nice

The fact is that a lot of people think they can treat a library like a Goodwill for their collection of lovely books.

"B-but, you've got a few inches of space at the end of every row of books, you've got plenty of room!" :qq:

• Locked thread