Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Urrgh this thread is depressing. I'm in my second year of my mlis program and only have volunteer experience. Why did I do this to myself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Hey guys, I know this is kind of a long shot, but I am currently in my last term at SJSU and I was wondering if anyone has any advice regarding the e-portfolio? I am kind of freaking out about it even though I know that I have already done the work, I just need to sell myself to the committee.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Insane Totoro posted:

Drink.

Real answer: what is the committee looking for?

Drinking will definitely be A Thing.
I have to prove that through my studies I have met 14 competencies and argue how those competencies will help me succeed in the field. I think the part I am most concerned about is the personal philosophy essay because it will mostly just be puff.
I feel like most of my library science education has been writing and researching about how libraries and librarians will continue to stay relevant in the future. I would have liked a more project-based education that wasn't so defensive about existing.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
I don't think it's all so doom and gloom. Obviously the role of librarians is changing, but as long as people need to organize and access information, there will always be jobs for us. I'll just probably never get my dream job of working in a cushy academic library.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
I think someone asked this question a few pages ago and no one answered, but what other jobs can you get with an MLIS? I'm going to be on the hunt soon and I want to cast a fairly wide net.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
I had my first ever phone interview for a patron services technician position yesterday and I totally blew it. I was not prepared for the questions they asked me, things like "what's you're favorite library story," and "sell me on something."
I guess I expected to answer more customer service oriented questions.
I have another interview tomorrow at an academic library and I badly want this job.
Any tips or questions I can expect?

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Thank you all for the amazingly valuable insight. I just finished my MLIS last month and I am only bringing volunteer experience to the table, so I know I have quite the uphill battle on my hands. Tomorrow I am interviewing for a library technician position, which appears to be customer service oriented. I will definitely go over their website and mission statement and prepare as best as I can. I have only been applying to entry level positions, which is a good fit for what I can personally offer, but competition is pretty fierce.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

a friendly penguin posted:

Providing online chat reference is the worst!

Yea or Nay

That's what I do for volunteer work. I only really hate it when school is in session and middle school kids think it is hilarious to ask me what a cat's butthole looks like.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
I had an interview at a public library last Wednesday that I thought went very well. Unfortunately, I still haven't heard anything back from them and the job listing is still up on their website. Would it be annoying/inappropriate for me to send an email to the effect of "hello, I am still interested in this job?"

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Since 7am this morning there has been a person using the text-a-librarian service to ask back-to-back dumbass questions. Stuff like, "who invented sonic the hedgehog?" and "How does Spongebob laugh?"
I am a volunteer, I do not get paid for this poo poo. I genuinely love helping people, but some days it just doesn't seem worth it.
I'm also kind of bitter because I keep getting job interviews, but no one will hire me. I am starting the think that maybe they can sense my desperation :(

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

VideoTapir posted:

Have you ever gotten someone giving you lip when you can't fulfill some unreasonable request about how "I pay your salary!"

I am pretty good at deflecting potentially tense situations by offering to connect them to someone with more specialized knowledge. This is usually a BS thing I say to get them out of my hair, but it works. I did have one guy get agitated with me because I couldn't find information about "a chainsaw that was maybe stolen during WW2." Wtf am I supposed to do about a maybe stolen chainsaw??

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Sorry for double posting, but what is the correct answer to this common interview question?
"If a parent of a student came to you with a problem about the book they had checked out, deeming it inappropriate etc, how would you respond to that parent?"
I always say something along the lines of "I would tell the parent that I will pass their concern along to the librarian in charge of that department, but ultimately I agree with ALA's stance that it is the job of the parent to police what their children read."
Is that a good answer?

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Kusaru posted:

I'd probably toss a line in there about library collections representing all viewpoints/being for everybody and how many items in the library are ordered because of patron request (assuming that's true). Also, most libraries have a reconsideration policy, see if you can look that up online beforehand. My library has a formal challenge process that involves the patron filling out a form, then various library staff watch/read the title in question. Most patrons balk at that and end up not bothering.

That is a good point, thank you! I suddenly have 6 (!) interviews over the next 5 days, so hopefully my search will be at an end soon. This thread has been so helpful every step of the way :)

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Well, I finally got a job! I was offered a salaried position in an office very close to where I live, so I couldn't turn it down.
Almost immediately after accepting that job, I was asked if I wanted to be a weekend substitute librarian for a town about 20 minutes away. I'm torn because it would be good experience, but I'm also worried that I would go nuts if I had no days off. What do you guys think?

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

nesbit37 posted:

You're going to go nuts if you have no days off ever.

As much as I hate to pass up an opportunity, I think you're right. And the full-time job I'm about to start will be extremely stressful until I learn the ropes. I think I just needed someone to tell me if I was being lazy or not.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Insane Totoro posted:

Is the salaried job in a library or related field?

If you want experience just volunteer. Nobody cares if you're paid for being a librarian or you're unpaid. As long as the supervisor can give you a reference you're fine. And of course if you walk away with good on the job experience.

Once a week for a few hours is more than enough. A good director will realize you have interest but that you need to feed yourself too.

Thank you for the well wishes, Toph.

The new job isn't library related at all, but involves doing a lot of research for corporate reports. So while I'm sad I didn't end up in a library, I wouldn't have been hired if not for my MLIS, so I don't feel like it was a waste. I've actually been volunteering for the past year or so, and no library I interviewed with (and there were many!) seemed to care. Goddamn, I went to a lot of interviews.

I genuinely am passionate about the library so I may still try to pursue that avenue at some point in the future, but for now I want to concentrate on doing well at the new job and see what opportunities that holds for me.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
I've been volunteering at my local library for the past five months because I don't want to feel like my mlis has gone to waste, but lately my actual paying job is getting more intense and I'm too pooped to volunteer anymore. What is an acceptable amount of time to volunteer and then quit? Is six months too soon?

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
That makes sense. I'm hoping they will let me use them as a reference in the future, so I don't want to leave them high and dry.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Hi friends, I have a question for you librarians: where can I find demographic info for people that frequent cat cafes?

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Beo posted:

I don't know where to find it but i know they are white and from the east or west coast. hope that helps

Yeah....kinda looking for info besides the low hanging fruit.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Oh jeez. I've been looking around trying to find a library job because I'm going nuts here at my cushy office job. I applied for a librarian position in the next town over and was informed that I am advancing to the next stage, which is great, but I have to write a five page essay -_- I'm pretty decent at writing essays, it's just kind of intense.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
I really want this job :( but now that I am deeper into this, they want "segmentation data" for the demographics of two towns and I don't know what segmentation data is.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

U-DO Burger posted:

I think this whole librarian job search might just an elaborate ruse to get you to write someone's term paper

I suppose it does sound that way, but the email I received is legit and from the library director.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
The position is for business librarian. I thought it would be about providing high level services like connecting people to resources so they can do their own research. It's weird that they apparently want to hire someone to do in-depth research on demographics for people. I hope they plan to charge people, if that's the case.
I have so many questions!

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
That all makes sense. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
I would strongly advise against moving to Portland unless you work in computers or programming or whatever tech bros do. I grew up in Portland and it is not the same place that it was even a few years ago. It's crowded and dirty and there are no jobs. I wasn't able to start a career until I moved to another state.

• Locked thread