Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
After having been on a ton of hiring committees for an academic library, make sure you do internships/practicums while in school. Those are great places to learn actual practical skills and make great connections. I see a ton of applicants with no actual experience, so they really can make a difference in getting your resume extra consideration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
Another bit of job seeking advice is to customize your cover letter for the job you are applying for. This is generally good advice for any field, but it is incredible how few people actually tailor their cover letters for the job we have posted. If you want a health sciences position, dont just have a generic reference/ information literacy cover letter. Pick out some key words from the job description and talk about how you meet or address those responsibilities.

Also learn a bit about the institution and maybe talk about this as well. Making it look like you really have done your homework and care about the position goes a long, long way.

When you get 100+ resumes for a single position, somethings as fundamental as these will basically put you into the next round.

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
A great aspect of library careers is that there is a huge range of them, and one librarians work can be very different from another. Find what you have a passion for and make that your niche in the career. I am a liaison librarians in a large academic health sciences library and its amazing how little I have in common with the stories of Toph or Chicken. Public is very different than Academic, and even Academic is very different from one another depending on what type of work you do there.

In my library your career path, and daily activities are very different depending on if you are in public services, technical services, reference, liaison, digital humanities, etc. Even liaisons work and interact very differently with their various groups. To me this is the beauty of a good library job, you can really match your interests and skills into a career where you do meaningful work.

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
Probably late but I just saw the question about Wayne State. We have a lot of people from Wayne at my academic institution, and have interviewed a lot more. It seems like the biggest problem their students and grads have is being unprepared for interviews, and getting little career guidance. So if your brother is very active about getting internships/practicuums then he will be in good shape

• Locked thread